Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Orange crap spraying from front pully (Read 503 times)
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Orange crap spraying from front pully
02/11/18 at 16:03:36

It appears to be some sort of orange coloured thread lock, but I thought I'd check here as it is spashing up a bit as you can see from the photos, is this anything to be concerned about.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Orange crap spraying from front pully
Reply #1 - 02/11/18 at 19:01:48

Where's the bent washer?
Can you wiggle the pulley?
Any sign of metal dust?
I don't see the orange goo.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #2 - 02/11/18 at 19:24:49

Most likely rust muck it must be loose,remove it clean it and reassemble with blue loctite and torque to spec.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #3 - 02/11/18 at 19:43:37

torque is 94 ft/lbs

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #4 - 02/11/18 at 22:30:50

@JoG, not sure about any bent washer, this has never been tampered with so maybe there's some sort of other design that doesn't use it? I can't tell because I don't know what exactly I'm looking for, but I do know that on the GS rear axle Oz models use a self locking nut instead of using a retaining pin.

Here's some more shots, you can clearly see that there's a fair bit of oil around here considering it's a belt drive! And you can clearly see that the oil around one of the bolt holes is orange.

I tried to move the pulley and it doesn't appear to be loose at all. Is it safe to take this bolt off and clean up or inspect this area and just torque it back up with the blue loctite? Or will the belt need to be re tensioned if I do that.

https://postimg.org/gallery/1rcu75e06/

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 02/12/18 at 00:03:26

I had a piece of gravel get up between the pulley and shield once. Thought sure the pulley was coming loose. It's possible you picked up something that made a mess I guess, but I'd sure feel better if you cleaned up the oil and torqued the pulley. The washer is supposed to bent flat on the nut to keep it from backing off.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #6 - 02/12/18 at 00:20:46

@JoG, you mean what looks like a washer behind the pulley nut?

OK so I just remove the nut and what the pulley just slides off? Yes? No? Then reinstall, torque and good to go? No need to re tension the belt?

Just got back from hardware store and I could not find a 36mm socket. Why did I want that you ask? Because this ... http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1238458746 Post #5 by Madsen, now I see it looks like this person only made one single post on this forum in his entire life just so that I would stumble upon it and get the wrong information.

OK now I know it's a 32mm socket, because this ... http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1335739552

And I'm looking at all the information about locking down the rear wheel, I thought there'd be a gotcha in there somewhere.

I don't have an impact driver so I'll get a deep 32mm socket and I was thinking of using the original muffler as a breaker bar attached to my 1/2" handle which pivots a bit so I think I can clear the side of the bike. Thinking of having the gf sit on the bike with rear brake on and the front tire jammed up against a wall. Bike in neutral.

Waddaya reckon, will this do the job, without tying jamming anything in the back wheel? I don't like the sound of that.

« Last Edit: 02/12/18 at 01:46:59 by eau de sauvage »  

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 02/12/18 at 02:31:16

You should take this issue very seriously.....if the nut is not really tight and the pulley is moving on the shaft - the splines can be ruined and your transmission will be trashed.  The orange goo is likely a combination of rust being wiggled off the splines and oil - either from the seal or from the O-ring that is behind the round spacer that goes over the shaft and is behind the pulley.

Here is a link to the Tech Section thread.  I would not use the RTV on the splines......if your splines are worn then use a proper shaft repair compound that is not rubbery.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1335739552

Here is a link to how you install the Kawasaki pulley - ignore the parts about modifying the bike - but it tells you how to remove and install the nut.  You do need to have a strong breaker bar, and proper wrench/socket as the nut it very tight (and needs to be very tight).

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1484806731

Be glad you have seen this disaster in the making - don't ignore it while there is still time to fix it without a complete engine tear down.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 02/12/18 at 05:54:30

I've never been there without an impact, so I'm gonna let others guide you through there.
I'd want to remove the pulley and clean and inspect everything. Study the shaft, and look at the pulley inside.
If you're able to wiggle the pulley on the shaft, that's a problem. Go slow, be thorough here.
Can the pulley be removed without loosening the belt?
IDK, doesn't sound like something I would expect..

If that washer is splined to the shaft, yes, it's supposed to be folded up on one side to best stop the nut from backing off.
If you don't have an impact you gotta be sure to get it tight.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #9 - 02/12/18 at 09:32:25

Cant find a 32mm socket? 1 5/16 " will do (ask me how I know).

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Papa Bear

Canada ... near the Motor City
Reply #10 - 02/12/18 at 10:52:25

18" pipewrench  Cool

2011 Fox Orange S40 SOLD

Check out http://www.hogsforhospice.com/
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 02/12/18 at 11:05:03

I hope you Don't use a muffler for a cheater pipe. Scrounge up something that you can wrap your hand around.
A breaker bar and extension can sometimes be had at a pawn shop.
You can use this as a reason to start building your tool collection.
An impact and small compressor aren't just tons of money.
A torque wrench is something you're going to need one day. I've got a Proto 1/2" clicker and a Sears 3/8" beam.
But I just ran the pulley up tight with the Ingersoll Rand 1/2" impact.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 02/12/18 at 11:35:42

Papa Bear wrote on 02/12/18 at 10:52:25:
18" pipewrench  Cool

No!
(You have been placed on double secret probation).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #13 - 02/12/18 at 17:11:26

@JoG, I have a torque wrench, and I made a ghetto breaker bar with a piece of 1x2 see photo below. Washer does appear to have a sort of flattened edge.

OK some good news and some bad news...

Braced the bike up to a wall, chocked the rear wheel with a brick got the gf to sit on the bike with the brake on and ... it actually was pretty easy to get off. That's the good news. Er...it's also the bad news. I couldn't feel any play in  the pulley when it was attached but it wasn't held on with much torque Sad

When I check the play on the pulley *without* the bolt it does appear to have a bit of sideways movement, maybe a sixteenth of an inch, forward to back is better only very slight maybe a half a millimetre.

I made a video too to show the movement https://youtu.be/thoaDkeCaF0

The photos below appear to show the splines in good condition, but then I'm not certain what they are meant to look like. This movement appears to be a bit of a concern but again I'm not sure if that is normal when the bolt is not attached.

Got some loctite blue but not sure if I should put any lube on the splines, I have some hi temp bearing grease.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 02/12/18 at 17:59:22

I Think I'm seeing raised areas at the top of the grooves in the pulley. I'd want to see those peined flat to the side of the pulley.
The washer needs to be bent up against the part of the nut that would advance to loosen up
No lube.
Clean it all up slip the pulley on, in gear, feel of it. The less movement, the better.
The pulley doesn't look beat up bad.
The raised areas need to go away because you want to have the nut and washer landing on the body of the pulley solidly.. anything that keeps that from happening could settle and allow movement. That's the beginning of the end.
If those areas are not a problem, then ignore my post.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 04:43:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Orange crap spraying from front pully

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.