Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Orange crap spraying from front pully (Read 503 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Orange crap spraying from front pully
Reply #45 - 02/15/18 at 03:17:40

That flat mark on the pulley is not cast....somebody did that with a chisel and a hammer.  I have never seen the factory do something like that.....it is a mystery who did it.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #46 - 02/15/18 at 09:39:51

EDS ,I 'd put the belt on the forward pulley first, it might be a good idea to remove the left shock ( the right shock will support the bike ) ,allowing you to then ease the belt over the rear pulley by rotating the wheel (with the axle moved all the way forward)and pushing on the belt .You must be able to do all this, and torque the pulley nut in the 30 min. allowed by the 609 before it sets. good luck!

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #47 - 02/15/18 at 13:11:18

The easiest way to get the front pulley mounted....is too loosen the rear axle and loosen the adjusters to take the tension off the pulleys.  Leave the adjusting lock nuts where they were and you can get the adjusters where they where.....or just look at the index marks on the sides of the swing arm and but it back in the same place....or measure how far the adjusting screws stick out the back.

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #48 - 02/15/18 at 17:56:15

I had a bit of a moment yesterday before I discovered it's not as easy as I thought, I put the 609 then discovered that the rear axle bolt is 24mm not 22mm, so I had to pull the pulley off and clean it up.

However I did try loosening the axle but it's already pretty far forward, there's another tick mark but I can't seem to get it to go any more forward.

I'll do a dry run tonight (it's over 100F here and it's even hotter in the shed) to make sure I can get it all assembled in time and I'll get back here if I'm having a problem. Otherwise if all goes well I'll fit it tomorrow before sunrise   when it will be a cool 74F

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #49 - 02/16/18 at 12:37:07

Dave wrote on 02/15/18 at 03:17:40:
That flat mark on the pulley is not cast....somebody did that with a chisel and a hammer.  I have never seen the factory do something like that.....it is a mystery who did it.

Dave ,what's the mystery? the bike had only one PO. For some unknown reason the pulley let loose ,and he took the pulley off ,applied anti-seize and put it back on using a chisel to bend the washer. Knowing the bike was leaking oil ,but not knowing the seal was damaged he then parked it for the remainder of ten months and then sold it.
       Next mystery, why is there an O-ring and collar? why wasn't the outside seal made larger so it could ride directly on the shaft ? I believe the answer is heat. the outer seal has to deal with shaft speeds of 5000 +rpm ,and I'm guessing that it must be made of a soft silicon based rubber ,that won't handle heat. The shaft and gears are bathed in oil at least 270 degrees ,the heat travels down the shaft until it reaches the pulley and nut.(hot runs to cold) . The collar jammed between the bearing and the pulley and spaced away from the shaft by the O-ring does not contact the shaft therefore the outer seal is protected from this heat. the pulley is not ,and is why I advised using Bearing mount (good to 500 F )rather than 609 (at 150F). Misalignment of the collar due to the pulley being loose also accounts for the damage found on the seal and O-ring  , it caused the O-ring to be pulled from the groove ( It is normally fixed in place due to it turning the same speed as the shaft and collar),and this allowed the collar to touch the shaft and transmit heat that melted some the seal ,which was found stuck to the outside of the collar.Which is why I said he should change the seals while he was at it.

« Last Edit: 02/16/18 at 21:53:37 by batman »  

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #50 - 02/17/18 at 11:31:57

batman wrote on 02/16/18 at 12:37:07:
 Next mystery, why is there an O-ring and collar? why wasn't the outside seal made larger so it could ride directly on the shaft ?

I believe the reason they use the collar is to allow the inner bearing race to be captured between pulley and a shoulder on the shaft.  This guarantees that the shaft doesn't ever move on the bearing.....the bearing race is the only thing that turns.  Both axles have a similar sleeve on each end to capture/squeeze the inner bearing race, and the seals run on the collar.....and I believe the clutch basket has a similar sleeve (but no seal) on the input shaft.

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #51 - 02/17/18 at 17:52:35

OK it's all back together, I took the bolt off a second time to clean up and retorque as I wasn't happy with it. All seems good, belt is not riding to one side on the rear pulley. No sound at all when wheeling it in neutral. However I did mangle the lock washer getting it against the nut, but it will do the job.

Oh yeah you'll be happy to know I got a 30" breaker bar for only $30 AUD, it's quite the weapon I can tell you.

@Batman, I've said it before and I'll say it again, the OP did not remove the pulley. He did not remove the tyre valve caps to put air in it. It was an impulse buy from someone who got caught up in the romance of the idea.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #52 - 02/18/18 at 00:06:45

Well it was just a story based on my theory , but it still leaves the question of how part of the outer seal was stuck to the collar.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/25/24 at 02:16:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Orange crap spraying from front pully

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.