Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 25
Send Topic Print
Savage Events for 2018 and other ramblings. (Read 3593 times)
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Re: Savage Events for 2018
Reply #90 - 01/01/18 at 08:57:11

Down here along the coast they call it the GOLD coast for a reason!
I would recommend looking at the state parks toward the center of the state. The coast is built-up out the ying-yang with the traffic and all that goes with it. There are a couple of wildlife areas not too far away with VERY primitive camping, but anything commercial is high priced and packed that time of year. And the roads and traffic are nothing close to enjoyable riding.
Guys I know here trailer to Daytona, unload in the hotel parking lot, ride for 4-5 hours, for a total of 6-8 miles, load back up, and get drunk and pregnant dog about the traffic! Daytona Bike Week is all about the social experience and partying. The riding is not much to get excited about, unless you like duckwalking in stop and sit traffic. You need to get about 10 miles away from the strip before you can really move. And I doubt the road work on the I-95 - I-4 interchange will be done this year. It's been on-going for about 2 years. Ed L lives just south of there and could give you some tips about Daytona from a local's point of view.
The center of the state is not built up as much and the county roads are better to ride than the packed state highways. But Fla. has a LOT of flat mostly straight roads. Don't bring the Cafe bike, you will just get board and a sore butt. Ride something comfy you can sit on most of the day and look at the orange groves, cows, phosphate mines, and woods. And CRITTERS! We have all kinds of roadkill here, opossums to  hogs to cows! Not all bad, I have seen at least 5 eagles in the last month. (live, not roadkill) 4 black wild hogs on the roadside watched me go by yesterday. Night riding in rural areas here can be,,,,,,exciting! A real good headlight is recommended.
Fla. in the winter and early spring is great for getting out of the snow, but we have no Dragon Tail, or challenging curvy roads. But stay away from the tourist traps and enjoy the easy cruising and warm weather.

pregnant dog,,, I love the filters!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #91 - 01/01/18 at 09:38:16

Correct spelling is sonofabitch, biach or bitche  (whatever the filter won't stop).

I prefer "miserable sonofabitch" personally.

Here is a place that is 100 yards off the paved road in the recommended Central Florida behind an always locked gate that has hot showers and toilets and is large enough to have folks around all the time to watch your stuff while you are off riding and it is totally FREE.    It has attendants who periodically sweep the park to make sure you really have a reservation and to keep the riff-raff, thieves and vandals out of your stuff.  

It even has cellular coverage !!!!    It is far enough away that during Bike Week it might have a free spot or two still open.

https://freecampsites.net/#!409&query=sitedetails

(my kind of place to stay in other words ......)      

READ THE REVIEWS at the bottom of the page for lots of good tips and general information.

If we can get some people commitments we can plan tents, headcounts and GET PRIOR RESERVATIONS for bike week if at all possible.    We want to stay at Gate 3 (equestrian area next to bathhouse/showers).

Be aware that you will day ride 2 hours up the coast to get to Daytona Beach, which puts you out of the range of the endless Bike Week Hurley Burley and makes you drive right on past Cape Canaveral and Dizzy world and the rest of the major theme parks.  

(.... and yes, I have never been to Harry Potter World or Avatar Pandora Land and I am a little bit curious as to what state of the art Disney is able to do now with these relatively challenging places.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95P71nA0If4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6k2RDcsfao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D7Pty_8S-w       (do this one -- no lines and stuff in it)

« Last Edit: 01/03/18 at 09:45:56 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #92 - 01/01/18 at 12:35:47

DuPuis is about 35-40 miles from me, I have been there several times, bike riding and photography. The Family tent camping are spots with a fire ring and hopefully the grass tamped down. I'll check out the equestrian area next time I'm near there. NO WATER take EVERYTHING you think you will need, including BUG SPRAY! Nearest store or restaurants are in Indiantown, 10 miles away. Take a tent with a closed bottom, they have plenty of --
''Things that crawl, things that fly, and things that creep around on the ground, and they say the ghost of Lousis Clay gets up and walks around!''
As Charlie Daniels would say.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #93 - 01/01/18 at 13:09:06

Heck fire, they are supposed to have built brand new stuff just this past year at Gate 3 Equestrian Area -- so I guess a "reality check" is needed here.

It is nice that them freebie campground lover people do such nice You Tube video reviews !!!!

REALITY CHECK    (start at 6:40 to just see the brand new showers and bathrooms, newly built)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_h_CJXDMflg        Click it to watch it.

« Last Edit: 01/01/18 at 21:41:16 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #94 - 01/01/18 at 18:38:17

$90.oo for the entire 10 days ?  I could do that !  even if we don't stay the entire 10 days .  
I could bring a camp stove (one eye) and associated gear.

??????

I don't think we should wait very long to lock it in ...

I went in 2014 and spent a whole day at the big Harley shop and the surrounding venders.   Spent the next day at the Racetrack .  

Stayed at the Abate campground at the Fairgrounds just south of Daytona.

If there had been a group of Savages to ride with then I would have stayed longer ... The road quality in Floeida is not like NC. so I came back home .  
I enjoyed the day at the Harley shop and the (was it JB Cycles) surrounding area the best.    The visiting at the campground in the evenings was good too  .   Cool

http://bikeweekcampground.com/

Only a short 18 miles from Daytona !  Smiley

If , there is very much intrest I could ask for two adjoining camp-sites .   My tent is a 8x10 ... sleeps two nicely ... w/cots/gear under cot. Roll Eyes
claimed to be a 6-man tent , so there is floor space left over.

« Last Edit: 01/01/18 at 20:22:03 by MMRanch »  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #95 - 01/01/18 at 21:19:02

Choices, choices.

Spend $90 per tent site ($180 for two tents) ($270 for 3 tents) for 10 days of being locked up inside the very heart of the Hurley Burly .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_h_CJXDMflg

.....  or else paying zero dollars for staying here (away in the peace and quiet of Wolf-land) and having enough money in your pocket to go eat out repeatedly (several times a day no less) .....

....... and who knows mebbe even go to Universal & Dizzy land and see Pandora and 'Arry Potter with your spare change ......

Choices, choices ......    too too many choices, choices.    

Begin to sound like totally different trips, don't they?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBTTR_a-mM4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D7Pty_8S-w

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #96 - 01/02/18 at 11:02:59

Smiley

I'm with you Buddy !

Figure it out and we'll either run down the parkway and stay at the bottom of it ... or ... run down through Ga. and hunt a place to stay when we get tired of ridding for the day.
I can be gone for a week or two , for two or three times durning the year without being in too much truble when I get back home.    Roll Eyes    
Makes me think of those two fellers we met at Dragon Central a few years back ... they were both (late 50'ish-early 60's) ridding Harley's .   They joined us at the fire pit one evening .  Just Motorcycle Touring and enjoying the ride !  Wink

I've got 5 or 6 of those military style cots , your welcome to borrow one of em.  They fold up like a bag chair and are good  as a camp-chair too.

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #97 - 01/02/18 at 13:59:29

Air bed for me, thanks.

The free campground area next to the bathrooms/showers (Equestrian area #3) is good for having as many smaller tents pitched as we need, we just need to use the internet to register each tent and get the gate access code sent back to us individually  (it is how you register, you print off the registration form and give it to the host upon arrival).    We can stay the entire 10 day week, laying out our arrival and departure when we register on line.

Plus, if we have a rain out reschedule we got $0 tied up in rained out camping spaces.    This lowers the $$ entry barrier for some better participation.

Next, this isn't the only public water department "free equestrian campground" sitting behind a locked security gate in Florida, merely the best equipped, cleanest and most modern one I could find.

All previous generations of Equestrian camps had outside cold showers, for example.   This is the first one of the new generation, that has the US Forest Service style modern bathrooms and hot showers.

And there are a few freebies that were commercial places but are now free places, for example one which still is an air boat rental place that tried to branch out into camping, had a rough go of it then decided to become "free to stay" to help out the airboat rental business.   It is old though, the facilities date back to the 70's and show the age to them.

Anything located near Daytona Beach has become aggressively commercial, not free at all any more as twice a year the place sprouts overflowing Hurleys which will pay outrageous amounts of money for a place to park an RV or pitch a tent.

Generally speaking, free starts again south of Orlando and ends again north of Miami.

Once again, we found us a nice, modern, hot showers and bathrooms built fresh this year equestrian camp behind a locked combo gate (secure and safe) that has a live in attendant to make sure the riff raff stay away.   Staying there is free and we should use the heck out of it before the Hurley Burly Crew find out about it ....

(start video at 6:40 to just see the brand new showers and bathrooms, newly built)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_h_CJXDMflg        Click it to watch it.

« Last Edit: 01/03/18 at 07:25:57 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #98 - 01/03/18 at 05:59:24

Hi guys, just picked up on this thread and will get some ideas together.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #99 - 01/03/18 at 07:27:48

Hey Ed, we are now thinking like snowbirds and are coming to see you (but only in a very small flock).

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #100 - 01/03/18 at 09:40:05

Hay , I'm in that Flock !  Smiley

By Spring (March) I'll be ready to "Take-a-Ride" !   Far as Daytona goes , I'd like to check it out for a day or two, but there is a lot of Florida to go see.   Just ridding along the beach Hwy. comes to mind .  Tongue

Or

Through the Swampy area to see a Dinosaur ...  Grin

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #101 - 01/03/18 at 09:43:25

That's me, Dino-boy, I guess, tenting over in the horse farm area.

We got both the locals looking at it now, I trust they will find better digs closer in.

(but I doubt they will be cheaper).

Roll Eyes

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #102 - 01/03/18 at 19:09:26

Long as no gaters  come to dinner , all is OK !

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #103 - 01/03/18 at 20:08:36

Cool   Reminder to self:   Pack rubber snakes, baby gators and rubber spiders

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #104 - 01/03/18 at 20:39:10

Just bought some cold weather mitts .  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Thermal-Waterproof-Motorcycle-Grip-HandleBar-Muffs-H...

Thanks for the idea fellers !    

yea , I got the brush/wind guards , ordered them first before I found out about the mitts to cover them .   Why didn't I know about this sooner.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 25
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 03:32:54

General CategoryThe Cafe › Savage Events for 2018 and other ramblings.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.