YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Big Bore Bobber Build
Reply #75 - 01/24/18 at 04:53:15

Christof13T wrote on 01/23/18 at 08:41:01:
It actually feels more peppy than with the 97mm build. Must be something to that intake and exhaust restriction as it relates to efficient use of displacement.

It might not be appropriate to compare a leaky 97mm piston/cylinder to a 95mm piston/cylinder that fits properly.

I really like the 95mm in mine - but I might like the 97mm more? Huh

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #76 - 01/24/18 at 06:34:56

Dave wrote on 01/24/18 at 04:53:15:
Christof13T wrote on 01/23/18 at 08:41:01:

It might not be appropriate to compare a leaky 97mm piston/cylinder to a 95mm piston/cylinder that fits properly.

I really like the 95mm in mine - but I might like the 97mm more? Huh

You have done the whole shebang on your motor tho correct ? Cam, porting, and upgraded carb? More air in and out will make a lot of difference in the usable displacement.

I did have a little quirk from my dang carb this morning. Im chocking it up to the temperature being 30*f or so when I ran up to the convenience store... but with the petcock set to either on or res it wanted to puke gas out the vents with a little bit of sustained throttle. All it took was to just bring it up slightly off idle and after about 6 seconds it started puking. It did it to me yesterday morning too but all it took was to drop the bowl.. flip the float up and down a few times and reinstall bowl. I guess I need a new needle and seat...

Or I could clean up the spare carb I picked up off the '96 in the barn yesterday lol.  Grin

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #77 - 01/24/18 at 09:33:38

Maybe there's something stuck in the filter screen above the float valve seat, or the fuel may be leaking by the body of the valve seat do to damage/ old age of the O-ring seal., other than that you maybe right the tip of the valve may well be have a grove in it.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #78 - 01/24/18 at 09:46:25

I am about to go pull it apart again and have a peek.
I started digging into the spare carb and just stopped as soon as I pulled the bowl. It is now soaking in handi-strip lol. Dunno if the needle will be salvageable... It's stuck in the port pretty solid.
Keeping my fingers crossed though lol. Amazing enough... the slide, butterfly, and choke are all nice and free.

IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #79 - 01/24/18 at 14:51:14

So the problem was multi faceted.
The very tip of the needle was rounded off vs. the sharp point on the one I pulled out of the other carb, and there was a prominent groove where it sat against the seat. The oring between the body and its port was in fact done for. The seat in the body had some crusty varnish. The little screens on both carbs were just fine. The one out of the 96 was a metal screen, the one out of the 06 looks like some kind of plastic. I put the metal one on and reinstalled. The captive plate that holds the body in its port was completely missing from my carb! I robbed the one off the other carb, cleaned it up... and installed it.

The problem persists, but much less intensely. If I place the petcock on reserve... It does not puke. Only while in the on position.

Could the diaphragm in the petcock be making to much pressure in the on position?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #80 - 01/24/18 at 15:08:39

Christof13T wrote on 01/24/18 at 14:51:14:
The problem persists, but much less intensely. If I place the petcock on reserve... It does not puke. Only while in the on position.

Could the diaphragm in the petcock be making to much pressure in the on position?

The diaphragm in the petcock does not make pressure.
It only pulls back the valve to let gas flow.
In that regard, on and res are exactly the same.
Prime however, has a little finger that pushes back the valve.
Are you sure you have it in "on" vs. prime?
In all cases, the float valve should be able to stop the flow when the bowl is full.

double check yourself, read carb specs in the tech section to confirm you got it right.

WWW   IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #81 - 01/24/18 at 15:44:17

absolutely sure about the petcock position.
It does NOT puke fuel while running under the same conditions while in prime. It only does it in the on position. (straight down)

With very light application of pressure to the float to seal the valve makes it pretty much impossible for me to blow air through the fuel inlet.

I have adjusted the tang twice now to try to get it to apply more pressure/set the float level a bit lower... to no avail.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #82 - 01/24/18 at 19:25:09

dam vacuum activated petcock
do yourself a favor... get a raptorcock.

WWW   IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #83 - 01/24/18 at 20:56:57

Yeah I'm pretty much at the same conclusion.
It gave me crap at every stop sign on the way to the convenience store and back earlier. The body has a new oring and made a good seal when I put it all back together. The needle I robbed out of the other carb looked brand spanking new. Not a single visible flaw on the rubber seal tip.
The bore and seat were free of any debris, pitting, scratches, etc...
I'll get one ordered as soon as funds allow. Stuff kind of sucks right now.

IP Logged
GT61 TURBO ZX14

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Minnesota
Reply #84 - 01/25/18 at 01:43:54

verslagen1 wrote on 01/24/18 at 19:25:09:
dam vacuum activated petcock
do yourself a favor... get a raptorcock.

Where can I get one Dave

Out of all the things I treasure most my mind is what I miss the most.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #85 - 01/25/18 at 03:32:36

GT61 TURBO ZX14 wrote on 01/25/18 at 01:43:54:
Where can I get one Dave

You can get one at your local Yamaha dealer - it is part #5LP-24500-01-00

You can also get them on eBay - but there are a lot of Chinese copies.  If you don't see the part number, the white box, and the words genuine Yamaha - keep looking.

LkAAOSwmfhX4r09&vxp=mtr" target="_blank">https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-YAMAHA-RAPTOR-660-YFM-660R-OEM-FUEL-VALVE-SHUTOFF-PETCOCK-5LP-24500-01-00/273036522513?epid=1023314198&hash=item3f923eb411:gCheesyLkAAOSwmfhX4r09&vxp=mtr

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
GT61 TURBO ZX14

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Minnesota
Reply #86 - 01/25/18 at 03:36:11

Dave wrote on 01/25/18 at 03:32:36:
GT61 TURBO ZX14 wrote on 01/25/18 at 01:43:54:
Where can I get one Dave

You can get one at your local Yamaha dealer - it is part #5LP-24500-01-00

You can also get them on eBay - but there are a lot of Chinese copies.  If you don't see the part number, the white box, and the words genuine Yamaha - keep looking.

LkAAOSwmfhX4r09&vxp=mtr" target="_blank">https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-YAMAHA-RAPTOR-660-YFM-660R-OEM-FUEL-VALVE-SHUTOFF-PETCOCK-5LP-24500-01-00/273036522513?epid=1023314198&hash=item3f923eb411:gCheesyLkAAOSwmfhX4r09&vxp=mtr

Just ordered it thanks

Out of all the things I treasure most my mind is what I miss the most.
  IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #87 - 01/25/18 at 21:09:22

So my puking vent tube issue seems to clear up with a rise in ambient temperature. Today it did not give me any problems. I ran it in the on position until it ran out of gas and I had to switch it to res. It took about 2 seconds or so to pick back up once I switched it. Was almost to the house already so I will fill it up in the morning on my way to where I gotta go and get a rough guestimate of efficiency. Have no idea how much of it was just blown out the vents, and I neglected to capture the 6 or 7 bowls full of fuel that were either flushed, or dumped when I pulled the bowl so many dang times. I guess the bike, like me... just disagrees with the cold? lol

I did add an accessory this evening that made a world of difference for riding in the cold... It now has a windshield.
Will get a pic posted of it tomorrow morning after the bags I picked up are installed.

It feels so good to have it back on the road. It's just such a fun little bike! I'm falling in love with it all over again.

IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #88 - 01/26/18 at 10:16:57

Accessorized!

The windscreen made the crazy cold ride last night much more comfortable.
The bags hold pretty much everything I need to handle just about any issue that might pop up save for something catastrophic.  About to take a 150 mile or so round trip on it to go survey a property. I plan to get a solid efficiency calculation on this trip. Starting with a full tank, I'll fill back up on the way back to Victoria.  Hoping it maintains that 50+ mpg I was seeing before the 2nd failure. I will be on the highway in 75-80mph traffic... but they will just have to go around me lol.

And my dang phone refuses to let me upload a picture. I will try to post it from the laptop when I get home.

IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #89 - 01/26/18 at 17:35:58

Trying again with the picture...

bags_and_windshield.jpg
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 19
Send Topic Print