Big Bore Bobber Build (Read 3221 times)
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Big Bore Bobber Build
Reply #270 - 04/02/18 at 19:39:02

No ,I intentionally failed to confirm that I got it.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #271 - 05/05/18 at 00:00:00

7200 miles on the clock now.
Averaging 45ish mpg doing mostly 45 minute stretches at 75-80mph.
No quirks or hiccups.  Still need to order a raptor.  Been running it in prime and shutting it off manually when parked.

I'm happy with how the project turned out. If anything is changed... it might be a cooshier seat, and forward controls.

I ended up with a couple more lost Suzuki's that were in dire need of rescue.
One is a mostly complete 1983 gs550es with the bikini box "fairing".
I just about have it ready to go back together and try breathing life back into it.

The other one will be a complete monstrosity.
It is a 1998 gs500e with the top end of the motor, the seat, all rear plastics, carbs all missing.

So I just swapped a motor out of an 05 vstar 1100... the only thing wrong with the motor is the threaded tip is broken off the output shaft of the middle drive gear. (Cheaper to replace whole unit than split the cases to rebuild. Muddle drive gear set alone is 600$. Got my customer a unit with a certified 8,125miles on it with a warranty for 900$!)

For my purposes... I don't necessarily need that threaded tip.

I also have this supercharger from a mercedes benz slk230 (in line 4 banger)...

I'm kind of leaning in the direction of a "Super Trike". Reversed configuration with the 2 wheels up front, but maybe with a bit of a twist.
I think I can pull off a leaning suspended front wheel drive.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #272 - 05/05/18 at 08:37:57

You might think about finding an older style VW bug (not a super beetle) and using it to make a trike , it would have the advantages of side by side seating , being enclosed , and a simple box frame could be bolted to the front axle and extend to the rear to support the motorcycle power plant and it's frame from the neck back. the rear body  being formed by removal of the VW fenders , and inserting a centered trailer fender /tail light. weight isn't as bad as you might think ,early bugs were oniy 36 hp and even later super beetles were 90hp ,and you'll have lost the weight of the VW motor,  trans,  and rear fenders. you gain the full weather/and at least 3 season use,or if you want the roof could be cut away just after the windshield  and all/some side window glass removed. Controls could be a simple ratchet shifter ,throttle cable ,clutch cable, choke cable extended aft. Use of the larger VW fuel tank (about 10 gals) passenger  and motor setting where the back seat was will keep weight forward which is what you want to keep this type of trike stable.

IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #273 - 05/05/18 at 09:27:23

I'm thinking more along the lines of a larger side by side front axle. Single rear wheel... 2 drive wheels up front.

Not looking to have a passenger die with me on this monstrosity.

IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #274 - 06/03/18 at 05:43:42

I'm so done with this thing.
3,300 miles since the 2nd rebuild and the piece of excrement just let loose again. Knocking and rattling like a jackhammer in the crank case.
It is smoking a little, but the darndest thing is that it has not lost any power... it seems to have gained power??

Before I tear it apart again and melt it down piece by piece... any bets on what failed this time?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #275 - 06/04/18 at 03:42:58

If the noise is hard to locate, and is horribly loud at idle but gets less at rpm - it could  be the flywheel nut has come loose.  That happened on my bike and it makes a horrible racket.  (Doesn't explain the smoke).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #276 - 06/04/18 at 05:01:34

In addition to the smoke...Compression is at 100psi.
All of the racket is coming from the head/top of the cylinder.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #277 - 06/04/18 at 09:35:25

Duct tape on the air filter may not have been your friend, It would be hard to tell what it did to your air/fuel ratio at different rpms.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #278 - 06/04/18 at 20:35:02

It’s possible your tensioner might have flopped, resulting in the knocking noise, and also resulting in your cam chain slipping a tooth or two, resulting in your cam timing being dramatically retarded, resulting in your intake valve closing waaaaay late, explaining the very low compression.  

The smoking, who knows?  It’s also possible that you experienced another piston failure.  Please don’t get discouraged. We’ve all been through this.  I’m 70 years old and have fried almost any part you can think of.  Keep at it.  There are few things in life more rewarding than building a powerful & reliable hot rod motor.  You can do this.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #279 - 06/05/18 at 05:49:53

Seriously Batz? The duct tape I had restricting the intake 2k+ miles ago caused ANOTHER piston/cylinder failure? So what was the cause of failure the first 2 times? Do we want to just completely ignore all the hard numbers from this p.o.s. motor? And let's ignore completely that even while it was restricted, the duct tape covered monstrosity of a filter still had like 30% more available effective breathing surface than the RYCA filter it replaced. You really need to let the air filter duct tape experiment go. At worst it richened up the mix... for the what... 15 miles of test riding I did while it was restriced...?

Tensioner... at 7k on it? Not on the build... on the motor... Total miles.
It was nowhere near even thinking of getting extendy 3k miles ago.

I have no doubt it toasted another piston.
And with that, I have no faith left in this bike.
3 strikes... it's out of here.

I have a yanmar l100 clone diesel single thumper I'm really leaning toward shoe honing into the frame and selling it to a hipster in Austin for stupid money. Use the proceeds to fund my frankenbike build. Unless somebody is interested in it as it sits. Still runs 70+... just noisy.

Make me an offer. I. Am. Done.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #280 - 06/05/18 at 19:24:27

Oh well!  Can’t change your mind, huh?  I must admit the Yanmar swap sounds pretty cool.  Keep us posted on that project.  I had a buddy with a Yanmar in his Flika open ocean 20 footer.  I must admit that little diesel never let him down.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 15:49:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Big Bore Bobber Build

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.