Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Big Bore Bobber Build
Reply #105 - 01/29/18 at 05:49:41

I rode one summer without a front fender on my Cafe' - as I had run out of winter work weather and was into warm riding weather before I got the fender built.  On one ride down in NC we got caught in the rain, and as we rode through an area where they had been doing road work - I got a thin brown stripe down the center of my face shield.  The front tire was throwing up muddy water forward from the top of the tire!  Your bike will be doing this too - you may not notice this while riding in the rain - but you will sure notice it when you ride on a wet road and see the water that the front tire will throw up and forward.

The tires throw a "rooster tail" of water when you ride in the rain.  At night you will also be able to see small stones that the front tire throws up into the headlight beam.

I currently have a very small front fender on my Cafe' bike and a tiny seat with no rear fender, and in the rain I get completely saturated.  The front tire throws water forward off the top of the tire, and that water then hits my upper torso and face.  The front tire also splits the water and throws a stream into each shoe when by feet are on the rear set pegs.  The rear wheel throws a roostertail of water on my back, neck and helmet.  It is impossible to stay dry while riding in the rain....or even when riding on roads made wet by passing storms or groundwater seeping across the road.  The Cafe' bike is definitely not an all weather bike!  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #106 - 01/29/18 at 06:34:11

I must have got my math right on my fender chop... for my weight anyway. It catches the slung water so my jacket was pretty dry on the back. The windshield must be catching the centered stripe of sling from the front tire. I am pretty happy with the setup so far. I LOVE how light it is! And still stable enough in winds to keep on keepin on comfortably. It is every bit as capable in the weather as my YZF with all its trigged out aero fanciness.

I find myself getting nods and waves from a whole lot more Hardley guys on the Savage than I do on the YZF lol. The looks of confusion from a few obvious gazers have been entertaining... Like you could almost see the gears clicking trying to understand "Why does that sportster only have one cylinder?" kinda looks lol.

Mechanically, about a I have left now is a valve check at the 500 mile oil change, take a peek at the sparky... and then cross my fingers and put the chrome covers back on. I hit my the rotor with a twisted wire cup brush on an angle grinder to give it a fresh scuff yesterday and cured that infernal squealy screech. Brakes feel freaking great now!

230 + 183 mile seat review...

I Love It! It is comfortable, just the right position... not to soft, not to firm... Freaking Goldylocks. The springs woth the stock suspension feel like air ride. Minimal vibration transference from the engine... Glassy smooth.

I have a set of Shenko something or others waiting for me to pick up at the bike shop, just need to get time to go pick them up. My rear is just about to the end of its life and the front is starting to show some dry rot. I always seem to be working when they are open lol.

It kinda sucks that the other deal on the 96 fell through... Didn't really care about the other bike and midget cart, but dang it would have been nice to have a parts bike available lol.

I did however close the deal on the 03 GSX-R600 sitting in my garage.
I'm trading a fellow my Tomerlain Crossfire 150 buggy for it straight up. The bike runs and shifts through all gears. It comes with a clear title.

It needs a few minor odds and ends.
pegs, levers, fork seals and oil change... brake reservoir and various hoses...
paint...
tires and a chain for sure.
I will probably replace the banged up tank.

Overall a good running motor and smooth trans so thats at least a start. I think I will come out ahead for what it needs and the time it will take to do it.

The better half is itching to get on a sportbike now that she has become more confident on the Savage. I think I will start her out o the YZF vs this fuel injected monster though lol.

IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #107 - 01/30/18 at 06:46:46

So this just happened. ..

That compression ain't no joke lol.
Probably going to have to go with a manual decomp...

tmp_2696-20180130_0820311173474338.jpg
  IP Logged
GT61 TURBO ZX14

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Minnesota
Reply #108 - 01/30/18 at 07:03:07

Christof13T wrote on 01/30/18 at 06:46:46:
So this just happened. ..

That compression ain't no joke lol.
Probably going to have to go with a manual decomp...

What do you gto done to it plus them battery's sick lol

Out of all the things I treasure most my mind is what I miss the most.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #109 - 01/30/18 at 07:05:09

YIKES!

I have a Wiseco and a manual decompression - but I seldom have to use it.  Maybe once in 100 starts does the engine fail to go over the compression stroke.

If you hit the starter button and the engine is on the compression stroke, the starter cannot push the engine over TDC.  You should let go of the starter button immediately -  then click the bike in gear and bump it forward until the piston goes over TDC. (This can be difficult and potentially dangerous if you stall the bike in traffic).  The manual decompression levers that require you to take your hand off the clutch lever to run them are not much better/safer in traffic - I built my manual decompression using a BMX brake lever that allows you to pull the decompression with your index finger while holding in the clutch lever with your other fingers.

I went to the local bicycle store and bought a left brake lever for a BMX bike. (My bars on the Cafe' bike are 7/8" - but I have made a few of these that had the BMX lever bored out to 1" to fit the Savage bars).  I made a longer decompression lever that would match the distance between the pivot point and cable on the lever. I had to make a new mount that would put the cable in line with the new lever.  The new parts are painted black.

I then mounted them on the engine and I use a bicycle brake cable that I cut to length and soldered on a proper end fitting.

I then mounted the new bicycle brake lever on my clip ons.  I had to angle the lever up a bit - so it did not hit the passing light switch when I pulled it in.

I have enough leverage to pull the exhaust valves open with my index finger while my other fingers can hold the clutch lever.

IP Logged
GT61 TURBO ZX14

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Minnesota
Reply #110 - 01/30/18 at 07:13:11

Cool

Screenshot_2018-01-30-09-09-19.png

IP Logged
GT61 TURBO ZX14

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Minnesota
Reply #111 - 01/30/18 at 07:13:53

I am putting this on my bike

Screenshot_2018-01-27-23-57-10_001.png

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #112 - 01/30/18 at 08:29:41

I have Dave's kit on my bike. It gets used maybe once a year, but worth it when its needed. Now that I've seen what can happen, I'm very happy to have it.

Cafe_Manual_Decomp_Lever.jpg

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
snels516

Reply #113 - 01/30/18 at 09:05:11

Gary you say one of Dave’s kits. Does he sell actual kits or did you just borrow his idea?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #114 - 01/30/18 at 09:10:50

snels516 wrote on 01/30/18 at 09:05:11:
Gary you say one of Dave’s kits. Does he sell actual kits or did you just borrow his idea?

He used to.......I built about 6 kits and sold them all a couple years ago.

It was a lot of work, and I am not sure if I want to do it again.  I need to build 8-10 kits to make all the parts purchases worthwhile.

IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #115 - 01/30/18 at 09:14:29

I was plotting pretty much the same thing you did Dave lol.
I have a bunch of old mountain bikes and whatnot laying around that I can pick and choose from for parts. I had not tried to push bump it in that condition for fear of breaking something... I will not hesitate in the future.
The thing literally burnt before I realized it was getting hot! What Dave says is no joke. LET IT GO  lol.
I should have a fresh batt on it today.

Other than this it has really given me no issues.
Still very pleased with the overall improvements and comfort.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #116 - 01/30/18 at 09:16:38

That extra lever sure does confuse a lot of folks....they have no idea what it does!

IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #117 - 02/02/18 at 15:59:07

So it has been a few days and have started the bike up every morning with no starter hang up issues. I have not replaced that battery yet. It checked out good electrically and after a little drill and tap action into the center of the + post I was back in business. After a series of unfortunate events, I am pretty much tapped out for cash, so it is what it is.  

It is still giving me guff pretty much every time I go to warm it up with the dang carb vent puke action going on. The cure seems to be switch it to prime until it arms up a little then switch it back to on and its fine...
Really screwing with my efficiency calculations... not knowing how much fuel is getting dumped on the ground makes trusting the numbers difficult. Last fillup this morning put it at 34.75mpg running mostly 55mph on the highway. Small short blurps around traffic here and there up to around 60mph... but still very much babying it.

I may look at changing up my air intake in the very near future. I'm contemplating a t fitting and adding another pancake filter with the thought that it may quiet down a little spread across 2 filters? Might have the complete opposite effect lol.

While wearing my full face, I get this freaky matrixy echo when I let off the throttle after a steady hold... It's difficult to describe. A minor annoyance if it cant be cured... Earplugs are cheap lol.

IP Logged
snels516

Reply #118 - 02/02/18 at 16:12:16

If you decide to let me know. End of my derailment.

Dave wrote on 01/30/18 at 09:10:50:
snels516 wrote on 01/30/18 at 09:05:11:

He used to.......I built about 6 kits and sold them all a couple years ago.

It was a lot of work, and I am not sure if I want to do it again.  I need to build 8-10 kits to make all the parts purchases worthwhile.

IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #119 - 02/02/18 at 17:12:51

I can build you a kit if you aren't too picky about the particulars of the lever. I have several lying around... None are all polished aluminum... some are aluminum lever with black plastic mounts and others are all black plastic. If you furnish the financial requirements to purchase the parts of your choosing, I will gladly allocate and assemble a kit to order for a minimal compensatory sum.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 19
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 07:48:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Big Bore Bobber Build

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.