Big Bore Bobber Build (Read 3221 times)
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Big Bore Bobber Build
Reply #60 - 12/22/17 at 12:53:45

I didn't intend to "browbeat"  ,but it was you who told about running the bike at 75mph to get it inspected, and about your lady friend running away from you when you followed her on your bike ,with less than 200 miles on it , neither of these actions fall within the break-in guidelines ,and I wished to caution you , in hopes that you  might see that being a bit more aware of the need to  be  kinder to your bike,  you would have a long and happy future together . Good Luck!

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
MadMike
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #61 - 12/25/17 at 10:17:27

Christof13T wrote on 11/26/17 at 10:28:23:
Pictures of her current condition...

Good look ya got going on there Christof13,
Love that seat! You did a fine, clean looking fender from the stock unit.
Nice work.
Where did you mount the rectafier/regulator

« Last Edit: 12/25/17 at 12:03:00 by verslagen1 »  

1999 Savage,Drag bars,4" risers,Raptor petcock,Versy cam chain tensioner mod,other than that STOCK
  IP Logged
MadMike
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #62 - 12/25/17 at 12:28:45

Oh now after CLOSER observation I see it on the fender, it's ok for it to be exposed like that?

1999 Savage,Drag bars,4" risers,Raptor petcock,Versy cam chain tensioner mod,other than that STOCK
  IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #63 - 12/26/17 at 12:38:14

MadMike wrote on 12/25/17 at 12:28:45:
Oh now after CLOSER observation I see it on the fender, it's ok for it to be exposed like that?

Yeah its a sealed box. The only real point of potential water intrustion would be the connectors. She sleeps in the garage and will primarily be ridden in nice weather. If it ever becomes an issue I will move it somewhere less convenient... but more protected lol.

The seat is a 50$ kit from fleabay. I made and welded gussets onto the frame for the seat springs to mount and only had to add a slotted hole to the stock seat holder bracket doo dad to mount it up front. The lines just fell perfectly into place.

IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #64 - 12/26/17 at 12:42:53

I dropped off the cylinder and replacement replacement piston with FedEx this morning for their trip back to Bill. They estimated Bill should have them by Friday.

I sent them USPS the first time and it was a little over 12$ cheaper to use FedEx including an extra 100$ worth of insurance.  Little wins lol.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #65 - 12/27/17 at 14:30:10

I moved my rectifier to the area used for the tool kit ,years back .I drilled holes in the sides of the chrome cover to allow cooling air ,I don't even think it required lengthening any wires ,just a tool pouch on the front forks. You could also drop the rear of the fender down a couple of inches by using longer bolts in the top two with spacers in between the fender and frame ,this might allow you room for a small rack between the taillight and seat, as you said you might sometimes want to carry a set of bags.

IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #66 - 12/28/17 at 13:41:39

batman wrote on 12/27/17 at 14:30:10:
I moved my rectifier to the area used for the tool kit ,years back .I drilled holes in the sides of the chrome cover to allow cooling air ,I don't even think it required lengthening any wires ,just a tool pouch on the front forks. You could also drop the rear of the fender down a couple of inches by using longer bolts in the top two with spacers in between the fender and frame ,this might allow you room for a small rack between the taillight and seat, as you said you might sometimes want to carry a set of bags.

I'm really leaning toward a pair of 20mm ammo cans for cargo space.
Need enough space for her to carry her skates, helmet, pads, etc on trips to the skate parks.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #67 - 12/30/17 at 00:15:04

What no surfboard?  no kitchen sink? those ammo boxes are way to big and your fender way to small, I'm thinking she better drive the car if she's going to skate.

IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #68 - 12/31/17 at 07:42:22

20's will fit just fine.
I just had a Lincoln SA 200 fall in my lap... I'll make `em fit!

I will be modifying the cans a bit also... so there's that...
"To big" is a matter of opinion. I reject yours.

I know of a fellow who completely re-fabbed the fairings on his YZF600R  out of nothing but used license plates.

I think that may have happened because someone piped up and said "you can't do that" lol.

I intended to hang 20mm cans on either side from the beginning of this project. Fabbing up a pair of supports for the cans is gravy. The fender is stout enough to support my weight... I dont think 2- 20lb (full) boxes are going to stress much.

Upon completion the fender will be mostly obscured by a roll bag. Add some forward controls and a backrest and she is ready for some cross country touring. The boxes will be attached to their mounts by a locking quick release. I will build it all myself and take ample photos along the way to post here. They will be served cold alongside ample amounts of crow.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #69 - 12/31/17 at 09:52:28

I didn't say it couldn't be done ,I just think because of their size they might not look right especially with the bobbed fender, and might be hard to fit being straight sided and with the shocks kind of in the way, however if you weld you could mod the boxes into slant bags and mount them closer to the fender, or whatever you desire. I'm interested in seeing what you end up with. yes post pic's.  ( crow needs to be cooked -well done Smiley  )

IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #70 - 01/03/18 at 16:32:02

Bill received the package on Friday and has gone over the cylinder.
He has ordered a new sleeve from L.A. Sleeve with an expected delivery of about a week from today. He will put a few days into it after he gets the new sleeve and that... should be that.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #71 - 01/03/18 at 17:21:07

He sure seems to be a good guy.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #72 - 01/23/18 at 08:41:01

The cylinder and piston showed up on a FedEx van yesterday around 2pm.
I went over it this time with a fine toothed comb. Everything measured out perfect. It was running again and on the road by 4:30pm.

It smoked a little for about 30 seconds then cleared up to idle much quieter than it did before. No More Tick!  The clearance between the piston and bore ARE CRITICAL to the longevity of a performance build on these engines.
Starting out with a sloppy bore is an almost guaranteed recipe for failure, no matter how much you baby it on break in. I am confident the grimlins have been successfully hunted down and killed!

Piston to bore clearance - .0025 per side
Ring gaps - .0045 top , .0075 2nd.
No taper or egging in bore.
Perfect cross hatching.
Bill did a beautiful job replacing the sleeve and perfectly mating it to the new 95mm piston.

I filled it with fresh T4, primed the carb... and touched the start button. It started up and ran on the first revolution!

Leary of a repeat for any reason... I'm probably over babying it lol. I put 1 mile on it yesterday around the block, and up to the gas station and back. It actually feels more peppy than with the 97mm build. Must be something to that intake and exhaust restriction as it relates to efficient use of displacement. I will take it out for about a 40 mile ride today around noonish with a camera and post the video.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #73 - 01/23/18 at 08:57:17

Glad to here that things worked out for you ,and I wish you miles of smiles!

IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #74 - 01/23/18 at 21:37:30

batman wrote on 01/23/18 at 08:57:17:
Glad to here that things worked out for you ,and I wish you miles of smiles!

Thanks...
It was starting to get really depressing lol.
I ran it about 50 miles today without a single hiccup.
It sounds... different. The exhaust report is much sharper... snappier. and a bit louder than it was with the 97mm, and stock before all the fun started. The jetting for the 97mm is playing nice with the 95mm. No backfires at all on shutdown so far and only a couple very light power belches about midway through the rpms in 3rd slowing to the stop signs. Still babying the hell out of it but it is darn peppy!
I had a float snaffu this morning that ate up about 3 bowls worth of go juice, but I'm still anxious to see what kinda efficiency I'm getting already lol.

And it looks like I am going to end up with that '96 sitting in the barn.
I don't think I am going to bother going through getting it titled... Will likely pull and save back the parts I want to keep for spares and sell the rest. If I do anything with the frame... It will be so drastic I will need to stamp new numbers in it anyway. And that is only if it were to be an on road toy.

I will have a good bit of parts posted up for sale before too long.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 19
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 23:32:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Big Bore Bobber Build

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.