Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
For those who have installed Trail Tech Vapors (Read 208 times)
elricfate

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

For those who have installed Trail Tech Vapors
05/07/18 at 03:36:01

I haven't touched mine yet, and while I'm good with electronics, I can't locate a wiring diagram anywhere.

Does anyone have a reference for the Savage about what wires are supposed to be tapped for the Dashboard/Speedo combo?

I know Dave did an install on his, but since I don't have ten posts, I can't rightly PM the guy to ask.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Here's a picture of the latest addition to the bike for good reference.

20180506_203315.jpg
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: For those who have installed Trail Tech Vapors
Reply #1 - 05/07/18 at 05:29:14

Here I am!

Didn't you get a manual with the Trailtech Vapor?

From what I remember the wiring is pretty simple.  There is a paired set of wires and connector for "Power"....the black goes to ground and the red goes to a (+) power source.  Trailtech recommends connecting this directly to the battery to avoid any power surges...the first time I wired mine in I connected it to the power at the horn, and the RPM and Temperature warning lights would flash if I used the horn or turn signals.  Connecting it to a power source that is hot all the time helps to make the internal battery last longer...as the Trailtech wakes up whenever you push the bike and the magnet passes the speedometer sensor....or you push one of the buttons - the Trailtech will use the internal batter if you don't have a power source that is "hot" all the time.  (I have mine connected to a switched power source that is not hot all the time....and I have to replace the little battery once a year).

If you are using a temperature sensor...it just has 1 wire and you can't screw it up.  I used a 12mm spark plug sensor and put it under the left rear head stud.

The Tach only has 2 wires.  One goes to a ground....the other one to the coil.  You want to set the Trailtech for 1 spark every revolution.

The wheel sensor is a single wire.  You need to glue a magnet onto the rotor down by the mounting bolts, then attach the sensor to the fork leg.

Am I missing anything else?  I will look and see if I have anything that has better instructions.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
elricfate

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/07/18 at 05:52:44

Dave wrote on 05/07/18 at 05:29:14:
Am I missing anything else?  I will look and see if I have anything that has better instructions.

Awesome, thanks for swinging in!

The Vapor Dashboard piece with the lights for turn signals and neutral and whatnot...

I can figure out the turn signal bits, with enough time, I think. It's the Neutral light and High beam light indicators that have me a little confused. I haven't dug into the headlight yet, but I imagine there's a specific wire for high beam that it just needs to be tapped into to sense current.

The neutral piece is the one piece of the puzzle I can't figure out on my own, and maybe because I haven't tried to finagle it myself.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 05/07/18 at 06:22:55

If you got a dashboard.....the only weird part is the neutral light, as everything else wires up normally.  You can decide if you want to tap into the indicator light harness.....or go find the other wires.  For the headlight and turn signals you just ground the black wire for the new lights....you can either ground the to the frame....or find any one of the ground wires for the headlight or turn signals (black with a white tracer).  These LED indicator lights take so little power that you won't overload anything.

The high beam light can be accessed in the headlight housing....or the indicator panel.  The high beam wire is yellow....the thick yellow wire takes the power to the headlight, while the smaller yellow wire takes the power to the indicator light.

The turn signals are green for the right side, and solid black for the left side.  The turn signal wires can be accessed in the headlight housing....or the indicator panel.

The weird one is the neutral light, as the neutral switch provides the ground.  You connect the positive side of the neutral light to the indicator light - but don't ground the black wire.  You need to connect that to the blue wire that you can find under the fuel tank on the right side of the top frame tube - or connect it to the "non-orange" wire that is going to the neutral indicator wire (blue on the panel side of the under tank connector...black with white dashes on the wiring harness side of the connector).

IP Logged
elricfate

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/10/18 at 04:50:18

This is seriously great info. And now that I twisted off an exhaust header bolt and need to wait for replacements to get here (plus try to extract the stuck bastard), maybe I can focus on installing this in the mean time.

Thank you

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 05/10/18 at 04:58:08

You will find the ambient temperature display to be horribly optimistic.  Yesterday on my ride it was displaying 100 degrees - it was actually in the 70's and a bit cloudy...so sun beating down on the speedometer was not the cause and it always seems to be 15-20 degrees higher than the real temperature.  Some days I can be bundled up and shivering - and the reading shows 70 degrees!

I also found that the supplied LED lights in the gauge panel were not bright enough to be seen easily in daylight.  I bought brighter LED lights from Superbright LEDS and installed them and they work much better for the neutral and turn signal lights - the blue High Beam light I installed is too bright and a bit blinding at night.

IP Logged
elricfate

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 05/10/18 at 04:59:33

Dave wrote on 05/10/18 at 04:58:08:
I also found that the supplied LED lights in the gauge panel were not bright enough to be seen easily in daylight.  I bought brighter LED lights from Superbright LEDS and installed them and they work much better for the neutral and turn signal lights - the blue High Beam light I installed is too bright and a bit blinding at night.

What's the bulb size they use? I can just order those now and be done with it.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 05/10/18 at 05:41:28

I was afraid you were going to ask....I really don't remember what I ordered.

I would probably try these for the turn signals and neutral light - order the same color as the lens you will be using.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/miniature-wedge-base/194-led-bulb-4-...

I would probably keep the High Beam light as the one Trailtech provided....or this one that is less bright.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/miniature-wedge-base/194-led-bulb-4-...

IP Logged
elricfate

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/10/18 at 05:52:33

Dave wrote on 05/10/18 at 05:41:28:
I was afraid you were going to ask....I really don't remember what I ordered.

I would probably try these for the turn signals and neutral light - order the same color as the lens you will be using.

I would probably keep the High Beam light as the one Trailtech provided....or this one that is less bright.

Hm. I think I actually have a handful of really bright 194 wedges from the last project for my F150.

Out of random curiosity, do you have any 7" adapter/bowl kits left? I'm wanting a 7" daymaker in my near future. Cheesy

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 05/10/18 at 06:56:25

You can test your indicator lights before you get everything mounted - just take them out into the sunshine with a battery and see if they are visible in direct sunlight.

elricfate wrote on 05/10/18 at 05:52:33:
Out of random curiosity, do you have any 7" adapter/bowl kits left? I'm wanting a 7" daymaker in my near future. Cheesy

I have a couple of buckets left, and I am getting some adapters made and they should be available before too long.

IP Logged
elricfate

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 05/10/18 at 11:01:05

Dave wrote on 05/10/18 at 06:56:25:
You can test your indicator lights before you get everything mounted - just take them out into the sunshine with a battery and see if they are visible in direct sunlight.

elricfate wrote on 05/10/18 at 05:52:33:

I have a couple of buckets left, and I am getting some adapters made and they should be available before too long.

Awesome, save me out a set. I really am going to convert to a 7" LED and your setup should make that simple.

IP Logged
elricfate

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 05/20/18 at 15:50:08

Dave wrote on 05/07/18 at 05:29:14:
The wheel sensor is a single wire.  You need to glue a magnet onto the rotor down by the mounting bolts, then attach the sensor to the fork leg.

------------------------------------------

I actually was able to get one of the bolts that came with the kit swapped in. It's a little shorter than the original, but I loc-tited it with some blue loc-tite. I figure that should keep it there.

IP Logged
elricfate

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 05/20/18 at 16:03:32

Nope. Changed my mind. There's so little thread contact, and that's a major part of being able to stop...

so I'll epoxy a magnet to the rotor, and when I need to change the rotor eventually, I'll just have to remember to epoxy another one to it.

IP Logged
elricfate

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 05/21/18 at 16:57:19

So uh, Dave...

How in the world did you mount the thing to your bike? The indicator dashboard comes with a flat bar steel mount vs the single locking clamp of the regular Vapor.

I like the idea of using that bar steel, but I'm curious how you mounted yours.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 05/22/18 at 03:51:16

Go to post #47 in my build thread.  It mounts to the bottom of a RM250 fork yoke, but with a couple of new holes you could probably mount it to your bike (Does your bike have the two bolts that hold on a wire guide for the cables?)
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1358099938/45

I might still have that mount if you want it....

The Vapor is now on the Ninja.....post #57 on up through #63 in this thread.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1402487102/45

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/29/24 at 01:05:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › For those who have installed Trail Tech Vapors

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.