Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print
Trouble with Rotella T6? (Read 1257 times)
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Re: Trouble with Rotella T6?
Reply #30 - 11/17/17 at 08:42:53

Dave,

Here is my "Proportional Grid calculating the amount of ZDDP needed for a gallon of oil based upon the 1,400 desired PPM level.

I will try to explain it now:

On the left side of the grid are the numbers for the proportion of 1400 PPM.  This amounts to 1400 on the top and 998,600 on the bottom (1,000,000 - 1,400)

On the right side, the top box is the unknown or "x" in the Algebraic equation.

On the right side bottom is the amount of desired oil in ounces (in this case it is 128 ounces which = a gallon of oil)

By cross multiplying you get the equation:

1,400 times 128 will = 998,600x.

this then becomes the equation 998,600x = 179,200 (sides reversed)

Then divide 179,200 by 998,600 and you get 0.1794512317 (this would be the amount of ounces of ZDDP needed in a gallon to equal the 1,400 PPM).  This is also based upon the fact that the initial oil used had NO ZDDP in it.  The ratio would be much less if one uses oil with 1200 ZDDP and one only needed to "bump" it up to 1400.

Hope this makes sense.
« Last Edit: 11/18/17 at 08:27:27 by piedmontbuckeye »  

ZDDP_Ratio_Proportional_Grid.jpg

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #31 - 11/17/17 at 08:45:22

Oops!  The pic was right side up on my computer.  Please turn it upside down to read!!  Sorry.  I don't know how to rotate it.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
Papa Bear

Canada ... near the Motor City
Reply #32 - 11/17/17 at 09:01:31

Who said that 1400 pm is the "holy grail" for Savage oil ??

2011 Fox Orange S40 SOLD

Check out http://www.hogsforhospice.com/
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #33 - 11/17/17 at 09:13:15

Papa Bear wrote on 11/17/17 at 09:01:31:
Who said that 1400 pm is the "holy grail" for Savage oil ??

The maximum amount of ZDDP that "should" be used is 1,400 PPM.  The 1,200 that Rotella has could be be enough....and maybe even 1,000 ppm is enough.  All we really know for sure.....is that 600-800 ppm is not enough as proven by damaged cam lobes and rockers.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Papa Bear

Reply #34 - 11/17/17 at 09:21:59

I know, Dave.  
The 1200 in dirt cheap Rotella (T4) is quite adequate. Why feel the need to augment it?

And who said that 1400 is required (should)?? ....

2011 Fox Orange S40 SOLD

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #35 - 11/17/17 at 09:31:47

Some did a search and said excessive amounts did damage.
A conscensive was reached at 1500.
But really the issue centers around how much free zddp is needed to maintain a protective barrier between metallic surfaces.
You might not need any more than what Rotella has if you changed often.
If you wanted extended use, you would want more or would need to add some between changes.
But, to find that out, you would need to do an oil analysis.

WWW   IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #36 - 11/17/17 at 10:12:51

Papa Bear wrote on 11/17/17 at 09:21:59:
I know, Dave.  
The 1200 in dirt cheap Rotella (T4) is quite adequate. Why feel the need to augment it?

And who said that 1400 is required (should)?? ....

I typed up a previous reply, but somehow got lost and not posted.

I posed this same question last year when I first joined this forum, and got shellacked for asking it!

However, my idea is to use pure synthetic oil as I think it is far superior to dyno oil as it has much more lubricity!

In defending the status quo here, is the fact that all know we need more ZDDP than regular oils provide (as I am familiar with due to my experience with 3 older BMW Airheads).  It is just the amount that is in question.

Regardless, too little ZDDP is bad and too much is also bad.  Also, the 2 considerations here are clutch slippage & tappet lubrication.

I support the 1,400 "benchmark" as it seems to me to be purely rational and logical.

I do sometimes dis-agree with the people here, but they seem to me to be more than helpful and knowledgeable.  I have received a lot of good ideas from Dave, Verslagen, Oldfeller, and others.  That's why I donated to the site (not enough, though) and recommend others to do so.

A little spent here, can save LOTS of dollars later!

IP Logged
Papa Bear

Reply #37 - 11/17/17 at 10:20:32

I'm a 12 yr member at BITOG and quite familiar with oil analysis. Rotella has been used without fail by bikers there (and over the world for that matter) for decades and well proven in UOAs over the years.
I don't feel the need to reinvent the wheel.

I really don't care if someone adds Lucas stuff to their oil, I just want the average rider who drops by to read the threads here to know that added ZDDP is not necessary..... that 1400 or 1500 are unproven arbitrary numbers.

2011 Fox Orange S40 SOLD

IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #38 - 11/18/17 at 08:24:40

Papa Bear wrote on 11/17/17 at 10:20:32:
I'm a 12 yr member at BITOG and quite familiar with oil analysis. Rotella has been used without fail by bikers there (and over the world for that matter) for decades and well proven in UOAs over the years.
I don't feel the need to reinvent the wheel.

I really don't care if someone adds Lucas stuff to their oil, I just want the average rider who drops by to read the threads here to know that added ZDDP is not necessary..... that 1400 or 1500 are unproven arbitrary numbers.

Surely you can't ignore the overwhelming evidence that the synthetics & super-synthetics have far more lubrication ability AND their lubrication levels don't break down nearly as fast as dynos? Right?

My concerns are the same as many here about the  ZDDP and the clutch compatibility.

I guess based upon your logic, we should all be using the same wheels Fred Flintstone used on his hot rod! hehehe Grin

YES!  It is good to re-invent the wheel if it makes for a better wheel !!!

IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #39 - 11/18/17 at 13:56:26

[/quote]
I guess based upon your logic, we should all be using the same wheels Fred Flintstone used on his hot rod! hehehe Grin

[/quote]

Well, the savage IS just about that old! Grin

Dino and Synthetic both get dirty and need changed long before the oil ever breaks down.  With the possible exception of cold winter starting, I see no need to spend the extra dough on what is essentially an overgrown lawnmower. Tongue  If I ever buy a crotch rocket that revs to 12'000 RPM, I'll start looking at Synthetics. Wink  

Sooo.......Dino or Synthetic is more of a personal decision.  

Now back to the real question.  Does anyone have the data on the new T6?

IP Logged
JLC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Black Forest, Colorado
Reply #40 - 11/18/17 at 15:24:17

SALB wrote:  Does anyone have the data on the new T6?

I asked that question before, and got no answer. I keep looking online, but all I find are specs a few years old.

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #41 - 11/18/17 at 16:20:27

The containers that I have looked at all say MA specs. which is supposedly good for our clutches.

But since I have not tried it I have to go with the feedback here. Undecided

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #42 - 11/18/17 at 17:57:15

norm92de wrote on 11/18/17 at 16:20:27:
The containers that I have looked at all say MA specs. which is supposedly good for our clutches.
/

They have increased the Moly content, and for some it has caused the clutch to slip....and these were long time T6 users.

The clutch in the Savage may not be as strong as bigger/faster motorcycles, and they may have a clutch with a bit more extra holding power than the Savage has......so the new T6 may work fine in other bikes.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Papa Bear

Reply #43 - 11/19/17 at 11:20:03

JLC wrote on 11/18/17 at 15:24:17:
SALB wrote:  Does anyone have the data on the new T6?

I asked that question before, and got no answer. I keep looking online, but all I find are specs a few years old.

You need more info than this ?? ....
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4490450/1/Shell_Rotella_
T6_5W40_CJ-4/SM_

2011 Fox Orange S40 SOLD

IP Logged
JLC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Black Forest, Colorado
Reply #44 - 11/19/17 at 12:51:30

Thanks, very useful report, and recent (8/16/2017).

So T6 5W-40 Extreme Temperature (CK4) has 1199 ppm Zinc and no Moly, while T6 5W-40 (CJ4/SM) has 1390 ppm Zinc and 71 ppm Moly.

I am running CJ4 in my S40 right now. No problems with the clutch, but I might swap to the CK4 rated version of T6, with no Moly.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/07/24 at 16:56:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Trouble with Rotella T6?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.