Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DR650 motor transplant? (Read 189 times)
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

DR650 motor transplant?
01/31/18 at 18:22:02

So, has anyone done it? Aside from the header pipe on the wrong side, what other grief is there? Motor mounts are no big deal. I'm assuming the black box from the DR ignition must be used.
With all the effort it takes to make a Savage motor work well, seems it might be less grief to start with a DR. Used ones on Ebay for not tons of $.
thanks,
-Armen

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: DR650 motor transplant?
Reply #1 - 01/31/18 at 19:51:49

Armen, The biggest problem in fitting it in  Savage frame may be that the cylinder leans forward on DR ,there might not be enough room for it or the exhaust .Converting to a double down tube frame at the front of the motor might allow it . But after looking at the DR ,it has so much going for it,  I'd be inclined to try making it look more like a Savage.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #2 - 02/01/18 at 00:05:46

Where I live, 1/2 hour south of the mountains, a street bike with a dr650 engine would have me spending all of my waking hours on the road.
My ideal bike, but I would have to build it. I'm handy, but not that handy! Cool
Maybe we could talk SandmanRed into building us frames!
or this!
http://www.bikeexif.com/suzuki-dr650-custom

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 02/01/18 at 02:38:48

Looks like a fun project.

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #4 - 02/01/18 at 03:17:56

I've got too much time and energy tied up in the Savage to switch to a complete DR, but I was wondering about a motor swap. At this point, I'll take the head to my porting guy and make the best of what I have.
Sort of arbitrary goals of 300 lbs and 35 HP.
Maybe a DR based one when I retire  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 02/01/18 at 05:48:07

Armen:

I think 35HP is pretty easy to accomplish with a Savage engine....maybe even 40 HP.  The Wiseco piston, Stage 3 cam, and a little port work makes an engine that runs really well and is noticeably more peppy than the stock engine.....and your lightened flywheel helps get another 1/2 second off the 0-60 time.  The stock carb works OK with the engine mods and I ran that carb for a year on my modified engine - the Mikuni round slide is a bit more responsive and may provide a bit more HP.

I am well satisfied with how my modified engine works, and I don't have any need for a bigger/badder engine in my bike.  I like riding on roads with lots of curves, and I seldom use more than 1/2 throttle on any ride (unless Oldfeller is pushing on my backside).  The simple mods still provide an engine that starts easily, gets good mpg, and other than using premium fuel it acts just like a stock engine and can cruise smoothly all day if needed.  The extra power allows for taller gearing that allows a lower rpm at highway speeds, and the motor temps drop with the lower rpm the taller gearing provides.

I have about 10,000 miles on my modified motor, and it makes me smile every time I go riding! Smiley  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 02/01/18 at 16:33:37

out of interest has anyone actually put their modified savages onto a dyno? Are there any confirmed dyno read outs around?

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #7 - 02/01/18 at 17:31:53

Thanks Dave.
This go round, the bike will have a stage 3 bump stick, Ryca muffler, Mikuni RS40 flat slide carb, and not much else in the motor department. Next go-round, it gets the high compression 697cc kit, ported head, and twiddled combustion chamber. 40 HP would be nice. With only 300 lbs (or less), it should be a hoot.

IP Logged
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 02/01/18 at 19:39:55

Is 50hp even close to being realistic with these motors natural aspirated? Just wondering.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 02/02/18 at 03:54:57

savagebob wrote on 02/01/18 at 19:39:55:
Is 50hp even close to being realistic with these motors natural aspirated? Just wondering.

I think 50HP is a bit optimistic unless you try something really radical.  The modified engines get a boost in torque and some HP - I believe the problem is the cylinder head has such poor flow that it is hard to keep the power up as the rpm's build.

I think that oldindian got his 97mm engine dynoed......I need to go try and find his thread.

IP Logged
kojones

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
Reply #10 - 02/02/18 at 04:49:20

savagebob wrote on 02/01/18 at 19:39:55:

46 hp on the rear wheel is realistic. http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1431205825/13

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 02/02/18 at 06:55:24

I think that dyno run is pretty revealing about the strengths and weaknesses of the Savage motor.  The low rpm torque builds really quickly and makes for good low rpm acceleration - the maximum torque occurs at 3,500 rpm and it drops slowly until around 5,700 rpm where it drops quickly.  I believe this is a result of the poor flow in the head - and a reduction in efficiency in filling/emptying the cylinder as the rpm climbs.

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #12 - 02/02/18 at 07:22:05

And that is what I want. A motor with good low end. Not to buzz the crap out of it to get going. A bike that  goes 20-80 MPH well.
I guess I should get going on the project...

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/07/24 at 19:57:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › DR650 motor transplant?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.