Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
Not sure if we can talk about oil (Read 1202 times)
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Re: Not sure if we can talk about oil
Reply #75 - 03/04/17 at 16:26:42

Then how do they calculate those 2 into ZDDP and then into ppm s

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #76 - 03/04/17 at 16:42:55

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #77 - 03/04/17 at 17:03:28

That was very informative and totally useless
I must be wording my question wrong or not
So how does Bob tell how much ZDDP is in a oil ,when his report only shows zinc and phosphorus as separate contents ????
Does anyone understand this question ?

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #78 - 03/04/17 at 19:13:26

Part of what they do in oil testing is to test the oil's viscosity at several different temperatures, then as the last step a sample of the oil goes into a mass spectrometer for a molecular element analysis.

Yes, it is sold as a ZDDP additive, which is a complex compound, but it is reported on the report sheets as a % of the basic elements that compose the oil additive ZDDP.

And yes, years ago there was an off brand of cheap oil that just put some phosphorus and zinc powders into their oil as their "additive package" and then when it came up with a really whacky low VOA they told the customer "to shake the oil up some" and retest it.     Roll Eyes

Needless to say Petroleum Institute of America soon hooted that supplier out of existence after their subsequent series of tests on that supplier's "oil" which turned out to be filtered recycled oil with "additives replenished".

Wink

However, I am still amazed no one has posted a VOA of Rotella T-4 after 2 months of sales .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #79 - 03/04/17 at 19:52:35

I can't believe how much time and effort is WASTED arguing about oil! No one is riding while they are warring about oil. If someone spends all their time online talking about riding, their NOT riding.
Ours is NOT a high performance engine.
It's oil needs are modest.
We know what works.
If someone is spending all their time online and only riding 1 or 2k a year they could probably run cooking oil and do just fine!
GET OVER IT!!
How many members are REALLY going to run this bike 100k?
Have you done that with another bike?
Do you get a new phone every 2 years?
Most bikes here will die from accidents, neglect, or abuse.
No magic oil will keep you engine "new" under abuse it was never meant for.  
All newer oils are plenty slippery, just stay away from additives that will screw-up your clutch or cam.

Yes I know I am going to get tarred & feathered for this, but is almost as bad as arguing about mixing oddball stuff for fork oil.

USE WHAT WORKS!!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #80 - 03/04/17 at 19:53:11

We are getting close here Oldfeller. So Bob would have to know the composition of a suppliers ZDDP package before testing to get a accurate ppm reading.
Or
Bob can get an accurate ZDDP ppm reading because elements in the ZDDP package do not exist in any of the other elements or additives that make up the oil.
Or
Bob knows composition of ZDDP because all ZDDP is the same
Just messin with you on that last one , but I guess it could be true !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #81 - 03/04/17 at 20:18:32

Party Pooper , No one has forced you to read any of this! But you found us here on page 5 or is it 6 ! Grin
FYI Me and the tracker were out for a 2 hour ride , out in the country. What a blast,amazing how renewed you feel after a good ride,seems to make me whole again , the only time I can say I am 100% focused on what I am doing ! Feeling every little bump in the road , every little flex or wiggle in the bike , every little tire slip or slide , what fricken blast ! Before I even got out of town local PD rolled up on both sides of me sitting at a stop light on their Harley's to check out my bike,got two thumbs up !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #82 - 03/05/17 at 01:36:14

verslagen:
Dichlorodifluoromethane?

Slowly I turn... step by step..

Versy, did you just say 'Niagara' ? Cool

IP Logged
Buster

Motul 3000 10w40
Zinc 1407ppm

Oklahoma
Reply #83 - 03/05/17 at 02:15:45

Not sure how this determines what oil I should be using 2 years from now, but my new bike is only about 3 months old and I'm closing in on the 2,000 mile marker pretty fast. And even tho I'm in my early 50's, I've only owned 3 cellphones - current phone is my first iPhone. Hope that helps.

2015 S40 (Pearl Moon Stone Gray)
OEM Pillow Seat - OEM Windshield

"Some may call this junk. Me, I call them treasures."
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #84 - 03/05/17 at 04:40:01

badwolf wrote on 03/04/17 at 19:52:35:
I can't believe how much time and effort is WASTED arguing about oil! No one is riding while they are warring about oil. If someone spends all their time online talking about riding, their NOT riding.

USE WHAT WORKS!!

My oil war time is generally in the morning when I fist get up, or at night just before bed.  It is better than watching the crap on TV.

In KY....it is not yet riding weather.  We had snow yesterday morning, and we never got out of the 40's yesterday.
I have about a month of "oil war" time left.....then I can do some riding.  When time allows I have been doing upgrades and maintenance on the bikes.  Once the grass starts growing...it is hard to find time to do that.

I have been using oil that works....just trying to help spread the word! Wink

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #85 - 03/05/17 at 09:51:01

Badwolf, Sometimes it's been close to 2 months between rides due to work and/or this years bad weather and work is 6 to 7 days a week. So when I get to ride and I love to ride , I get so dam excited I'm in a heightened sense awarement I feel everything the frame,forks,brakes,tires,jetting,the difference in the weather that affecting the jetting. I hear everything the bike is saying. So yes I get excited and tend to share that here cause quite frankly it gets dull here at times. Just wait till I finish this bike and begin straying further out into the hills , ride stories will get better. Oil wars are good reading and educational for those who have not been involved in one !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #86 - 03/05/17 at 11:40:19

When the manufacturer changes the formulation and nomenclature and the oil you've Been using for ten years is no longer available, Determining Which Oil Works is simply asking a question about oil. You sure poured out a load of completely wasted energy, scolding people who are just talking about oils. The Mention of and discussion of oil isn't a war, until someone starts demanding that the oil They use is the only oil To use.
Maybe a stool softener would help.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #87 - 03/05/17 at 14:23:35

JOG , Are you addressing me? I haven't  been fowl with anyone , if anything I have kept it quite civil with a tad bit of nice in there !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #88 - 03/05/17 at 14:41:54

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/05/17 at 11:40:19:
Determining Which Oil Works is simply asking a question about oil. The Mention of and discussion of oil isn't a war, until someone starts demanding that the oil They use is the only oil To use.  Maybe a stool softener would help.

Agree!  I dislike the when people "square off" against each other just for expressing an opinion.  And being inquisitive at any time is healthy as long as one is genuinely inquiring.  No need to get into "fight" mode or call such inquiries as "Wars."

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #89 - 03/05/17 at 15:00:17

Oil Wars was a term being used here apparently long before I got here ! Think it's a tradition here !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 16:50:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Not sure if we can talk about oil

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.