Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Bought my first savage, got a few questions. (Read 246 times)
metalbrian45
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bought my first savage, got a few questions.
07/18/17 at 05:45:32

Hi guys, new to the forum and Savages. A little background; I just picked up a 2003 Savage for my girlfriend last week from a fellow who purchased it new for his wife to learn to ride but never did. This bike had 237 (yep, 237!) original miles, and had been kept in a garage. It had been through several moves and seem to have been forgotten for some time. It didn't run, had a dead battery, but it turned over when jumped. I paid a grand total of $625 for this bike and took it home. When I got it home I realized the CDI box had been jacked from the bike, and the carb was full of ethanol gunk. $49 CDI box, a carb cleaning, and a battery and our Savage is up and running hard! I've put a little over 100 miles on it with no serious problems so far.

On to my questions. I feel like the jetting is off on this bike. I am at 500ft elevation, the bike SEEMS (I'm no expert) to be lean. It was a constant backfireing/popping on decel and after revving. It's no an occasional pop, it is consistent. Also, acceleration is strong up to about 80% throttle, but at WOT it seems to strain and lose power. I want to add a pipe with weld-in baffle as an exhaust instead of the stocker, and replace the air filter with a cone filter, so should I adjust the jetting while the bike is in stock form to get it right as is, or go ahead and swap the exhaust and breather and re-jet for the final product. And does anyone have a good starting place for my jetting at my elevation?
Thanks for the help.

TL;DR/Cliff notes. New Savage's jetting seems lean on top end and has constant decel pop. Need suggestions on starting point for re-jet and advice on jetting before or after intake and exhaust upgrade.

savage_024.jpg
  IP Logged
metalbrian45
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Bought my first savage, got a few questions.
Reply #1 - 07/18/17 at 05:48:03

One more for the hell of it.

savageflight.jpg
  IP Logged
Papa Bear

Canada ... near the Motor City
Reply #2 - 07/18/17 at 05:54:16

Like riding a flying pony  Cool

2011 Fox Orange S40 SOLD

Check out http://www.hogsforhospice.com/
  IP Logged
Rodger

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/18/17 at 05:55:01

Welcome to the forum, Brian,

Sounds like you got a real bargain there, even with having to replace the CDI!

My brand-new, box-stock 2015 S40 backfired BADLY when rolling off the throttle and when shutting down after a ride. (I'm at 6,000+ feet above sea level, btw.) Per the instructions in the Tech Section, removed the pilot screw brass plug & turned the pilot screw counterclockwise 1/2 turn. No more loud backfires, just a bit of light "chuffing" on deceleration & a soft poof when shutting down.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 07/18/17 at 06:15:29

For you elevation I would recommend a #50 or #52.5 pilot jet, a #150 main, and 3 number 4 machine screw washers on the needle in place of the white spacer.  If you still have a lean surge at light throttle settings, remove 1 washer from the needle and try running 2 washers.  Adjust the idle fuel mixture screw for the smoothest running - you will need to drop the rpm a bit lower for the adjustment (800 rpm) - but be sure to set it back up to 1,100 rpm so the cam will be properly lubed.  A higher idle speed can also help to reduce the backfire issue.

Even with a properly jetted bike - the backfire on deceleration is somewhat inherent in the big single, and you can reduce the problem by avoiding the situation that causes it.  Don't let the throttle snap closed when you shift gears - just slowly roll the throttle off and don't let it close completely.....leave it open a slight amount (you will learn how far you can close it to shift smoothly and quietly).

Same thing for when you are decelerating......don't close the throttle completely - roll on just enough throttle to cut down on the noise.  You don't want to open the throttle so much that you are making power - just enough to stop the noise.  (It is all part of being a good Savage rider).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
metalbrian45
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/18/17 at 06:56:39

Great, so I should go ahead and rejet to your suggested settings before further mods? Then adjust as necessary? Also, are the machine washers a different thickness than the number 4 plastic washer I see most people suggest? Thanks for all the help!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 07/18/17 at 07:40:07

metalbrian45 wrote on 07/18/17 at 06:56:39:
Great, so I should go ahead and reject to your suggested settings before further mods? Then adjust as necessary? Also, are the machine washers a different thickness than the number 4 plastic washer I see most people suggest? Thanks for all the help!

No.....don't "reject" my suggestions! Grin

The jetting I suggested is a good starting point...and likely may be where you stay.  I went through a long process of going up and down and mixing and matching.....and I have suggested what turned out to work well on the stock engine in my 500' - 800' elevation riding area.  That jetting also works well with the DYNA muffler.

The nylon washers are not the recommended ones - those are only being used by folks who can't find the steel ones at their local hardware store.

IP Logged
metalbrian45
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 07/18/17 at 07:54:29

Fixed lol. Ok, I will go with these settings and see how that works. Thanks a lot for the advice!

IP Logged
ero4444

weekender

Reply #8 - 07/18/17 at 15:34:51

holy cow, what a deal.  and it flys

c2001, 3800miles, 3rd owner, adjusted idle, raised seat, Tkat brace, Raptor petcock, cleaned carb, replaced some jets, Dyna muffler, Fiamm horns, Shinkos, future Ed L. forward controls, fork boots.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #9 - 07/18/17 at 22:42:12

A straight pipe with or without a baffle and a cone filter are probably the two worst things your can do from a performance stand point.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #10 - 07/18/17 at 23:34:51

I would LOVE to put a cone filter and a header wrap on my bike - I love the look. But, having done some reading (on here, and the Interwebs in general) I just can't do it!

I appreciate 'style'. But, style that is meant to make a bike look more 'high performance' but will most likely undermine performance/longevity, is just something I can't bring myself to do,

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
metalbrian45
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 07/19/17 at 06:14:39

I wasn't aware that "stage 1" as we call them in the Harley world would negatively affect performance if properly jetted. I have a dyna muffler I can use instead of the baffled pipe, would that be a better option? I just hate how they look.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 07/19/17 at 06:21:17

Here is a YouTube video that explains the issue with drag pipes, and other muffler options.  Although it is for Harley bikes.....our engine is essentially half a V-Twin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjKUKhHQLHg

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #13 - 07/19/17 at 06:46:45

Instead of a cone filter, wouldn't it be better to buy a piece of polyurethane foam, the type that is meant to be oiled, then oil it up with some proper Belray filter oil and attach it directly to the carb with a hose clamp?

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #14 - 07/19/17 at 07:06:40

M-B45,the Dyan muffler is a good move, for a couple of reasons, one is they weigh about half as much as the stock muffler ( the savings in weight is like getting 1 hp for free) and they have less backpressure and when the carb is rejetted and you do the spacer mod you'll gain 1or 2 more horse power (and a better ,deeper sound)without any sag in the torque curve .You may think the Dyna doesn't look good but it looks much better than the huge stock one .A cone filter mounted on the carb won't do as much for performance as a K&N slide in replacement for the stock filter or an Oldfeller's home made filter (see it in the Tech section,at a cost of about $10).

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 18:08:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bought my first savage, got a few questions.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.