Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Purple Passion - (**UPDATE -Final Paint!! ***) (Read 2878 times)
Scramps
YaBB Newbies

Little Red Boulevard

Virginia
Re: Purple Passion - (**UPDATE - Bike is Rolling!!
Reply #30 - 09/29/16 at 06:07:03

This cat eye tail light that you have installed, do you have a picture of it? I've ordered a Chinese LED tail light for mine that I intend to install in a similar fashion.

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #31 - 09/29/16 at 10:51:41

What do you want to see pictures of I have lots?  do you just want to see how I mounted it?  do you want to see it on the bike?  or details of the light itself?

WWW   IP Logged
eagleno49
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #32 - 09/29/16 at 15:47:00

I would like to see the light on the bike, and how you installed the bracket. If you have the details on the light itself, that would also be great.

IP Logged
Scramps
YaBB Newbies

Little Red Boulevard

Virginia
Reply #33 - 09/29/16 at 15:52:14

all of the above?  Grin

I'm very impressed with this build, the bike looks fantastic. I was daydreaming about tapering the rear pillion on my bike and searching for others who have done it already led me to your build

I've got a trailer light bolted on where the tag light goes right now, and I was curious to see what your tail light looks like

picture's upside down for some reason sorry about that
« Last Edit: 09/30/16 at 20:39:29 by Scramps »  

IMG_0637.JPG
  IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #34 - 09/29/16 at 19:59:06

Give me a day or so to dig up some pictures and post some stuff.  I should be able to answer it all and have pics.

WWW   IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #35 - 09/29/16 at 20:08:26

In the mean time here is the unit I bought.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Cat-Eye-Taillight-Bikers-Choice-160634-/331568220...

if that link doesn't work look up ebay item number 331568220017

So far I have been very happy with it both the quality and the brightness.  I have followed my wife many times and don't have any issue seeing either the tail light or the brake light.  The license plate light that is built in is limited but legally it should count.

WWW   IP Logged
Scramps
YaBB Newbies

Little Red Boulevard

Virginia
Reply #36 - 09/30/16 at 12:17:16

Here's the one http://www.ebay.com/itm/281419731986?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=... I've ordered

My only concern is that it may not fit inside the fender. I measured the opening on the tail at roughly 6" wide, and this light is apparently 6.3".

If it doesn't work, at least I won't have a ton of money invested in it.

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #37 - 10/02/16 at 06:09:15

Ok so here are the details people wanted.  Let me know if I didn't answer any of them.

Below are two pictures of the final tail light in place.

and from an angle

I plan to put a decorative piece over the 4 holes from the stock light

Now as far as mounting it.  I wanted to keep part of the stock mount since I liked the rubber mounting of it.  I cut the stock mount at the first step cutting off the old license plate mount and keeping the license plate light mount.  From there I added a plate mount that was made out of stiff aluminum.  It has a tab that fits up in the back of what is left of the stock mount.  I added two holes for the tail light bolts to go through and that clamps the two mount pieces together.  You will also see that I had to add a downward cut to the center hole, that is for the tail light wires to go through and not be forced in a tight bend.  Also you will see the tails of two small screws high on the mount.  I added those as extra security holding the two pieces together.  That way I can take off the tail light and the license plate and mount doesn't fall to the ground.  Those were drilled and then the old mount was thick enough I tapped threads in it.  It wouldn't have to be done but I decided to do it that way.

Here are some pics.

From there the bolts of the new light just goes through those two holes with nuts on the back side.  The wires I soldered to a stock connector and then fed those wires up through the stock routing and connected them as they connect from the factory.

Also to note if it is not clear in the pics, the license plate piece that fits behind the stock mount had a slight bend in it about the top of the plate so that it angles back and provides clearance from the tire.

WWW   IP Logged
Scramps
YaBB Newbies

Little Red Boulevard

Virginia
Reply #38 - 10/02/16 at 10:53:54

That makes for a very clean installation, I like it. Thus far I've been avoiding cutting up/drilling into any of the stock parts, just in case I decide to switch it back, but this is one piece that I could change for the better. I'm also thinking about options for filling the old tail light holes, but nothing really appealing has sprouted from my imagination so far

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #39 - 10/02/16 at 12:49:25

So if you want to save the old mount you can pick up a spare in the market place pretty cheap.

Also on the holes what I am planning to do is this.  I found grommets at the hardware store that fit.  Then I am going to make a fancy T in polished aluminum since my wife's name is Theresa and it is her bike.  Then I will attach the T with nice polished button head bolts through three of the four holes and it should look pretty good.  I will post a picture once it is done.

WWW   IP Logged
Scramps
YaBB Newbies

Little Red Boulevard

Virginia
Reply #40 - 10/02/16 at 16:45:29

Sounds pretty nice, I look forward to seeing it.

I love that seat mod as well but I don't know if I have the wherewithal to pull that off.

Also, did you make those saddlebag supports? They look very clean

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #41 - 10/02/16 at 18:19:05

The bag mounts I love now.  Those are stock suzuki bag mounts but I had them powder coated when I had the rims done.  Now rather than being bright in your face chrome they just fade away and you don't even see them half the time.

WWW   IP Logged
eagleno49
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #42 - 10/03/16 at 22:59:17

Thanks for taking the time to post the tail light pictures, I like how you adapted the bracket.

IP Logged
Scramps
YaBB Newbies

Little Red Boulevard

Virginia
Reply #43 - 10/30/16 at 14:05:19

How's everything going up there with this machine? Anything new to report?

Hope all is well

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #44 - 11/03/16 at 19:14:42

Sorry for the delay in my reply, life has gotten crazy again.  Bike has been running well and my wife has about 450 miles on it.  So far she likes it.  The biggest thing was moving the be pegs out to match the wider tank.  That seems to have taken care of the only minor ergo issue.  

Winter is fast approaching in Minnesota so I am currently stripping all the bodywork off it so it can all be painted.  Everything is off except the rear fender.  I am down to the last 4 bolts to pull that but I have to drop the rear wheel to get to them so that will have to wait until this weekend.

My painter is at SEMA right now and I am hoping he can get the paint code recipe for the Stryker Purple.  He was having a few issues locating it since very few cars have been painted with it.  We have the paint codes but we are not finding that they have published the recipe that goes with those codes.  Worse case is we will get some touch up paint and then get that matched.  It won't have the depth of a three layer but hopefully it will still look sweet.

I need to get going on the decals for the tank so they are ready for paint.  need to work up the Purple Passion in a cool font.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 03:39:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Purple Passion - (**UPDATE -Final Paint!! ***)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.