Send Topic Print
New Member, Used Ryca (Read 762 times)
LiftdT4R
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Member, Used Ryca
03/09/19 at 11:02:18

Hey guys, I just picked up a Ryca CS-1 last week. I've had bikes and have worked on bikes for the last 20 years but I doubt I would have ever looked at a Zook 650 until I started browsing this forum a week ago. After I get all of the issues sorted on my Ryca I'll be looking for a stock S40 to turn into a bobber. Anyway I really don't have any questions because I found mostly everything I was looking for in the search while I was waiting for my membership to be approved. The Ryca build was completed last year on a 1998 Savage by a previous owner in NC. The build only has 45 miles on it. The miles on the original bike are unknown unfortunately although everything looks to be clean and in good shape.

I know I need to check to see if the cam chain tensioner mod has been done. I have a Raptor petcock on order. I also found out my crank breather is just open to atmosphere so I'll be heading to Auto Zone this week to pick up a filter. The bike seems to be running very rich because it stumbles at 1/4 throttle and smells it so I picked up a jet kit from Lancer and I'll see what's going on inside the carb. The throttle was a little sticky so I pulled that part last night, cleaned her all up and she's perfect now. The rear brake light wasn't operating so that's adjusted and fixed up now too. I want to do a compression check soon before I title and ride. I saw 140 to 160 psi is normal for these bikes. Any other tips are greatly appreciated!

I live in the middle of the Pine Barrens so we ride mostly offroad. I've had a few road bikes before and even though I haven't done too much road riding in the last 5 years I can't wait to get back into it. Just have to find some folks to ride with. If you're in S NJ gimme a shout. I'll buy first round!

I was big into Banshees and Blasters as a kid and these Savages remind me so much of them because they look simple mechanically compared to new bikes and have a bunch of bang for the buck power wise. They also have a heck of a long production run too with plentiful parts.

Sorry for the novel. I'll post some pics soon because my post count wasn't high enough.

IP Logged
LiftdT4R
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: New Member, Used Ryca
Reply #1 - 03/09/19 at 11:02:31

Here's a pic from the prior owner:

Here she is heading back to NJ:

And here she is with the rest of my current bike stable. The side panels are off because I've been working on her.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #2 - 03/12/19 at 06:47:31

Cool bike.  I've found that my bike runs better closer to the stock jetting which is a little leaner than what most people on here run.  I also think that sticky sliders trick many into thinking they need to rejet their bike.  Good job cleaning that up first.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #3 - 03/12/19 at 07:08:08

Good looking bike. Glad to see another NJ member. I'm in the NW corner of the state.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
LiftdT4R
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 03/12/19 at 18:11:42

ohiomoto wrote on 03/12/19 at 06:47:31:
Cool bike.  I've found that my bike runs better closer to the stock jetting which is a little leaner than what most people on here run.  I also think that sticky sliders trick many into thinking they need to rejet their bike.  Good job cleaning that up first.

Awesome, from what I was reading here it sounds like a 52.2 pilot and 152.5 main is what most guys have luck with. I've read all of the Savage carb tuning guides too and my idle air mixture plug was already pulled when I got the bike. What are ya running?

Also, I'm still learning the lingo on these bikes. What do you mean by sticky sliders?

I've been seeing a lot of the white spacer mod but no definitive answer on whether to do it or not and how many spacers to run. I guess this is the same as changing the clip position on carbs with a slide but on all the bikes I've had I've always left the clip at the stock position. I understand how it changes the performance of the carb just never had the need to do it.

IP Logged
LiftdT4R
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 03/12/19 at 18:19:43

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 03/12/19 at 07:08:08:
Good looking bike. Glad to see another NJ member. I'm in the NW corner of the state.

Thanks! Got any info on yours? Sounds very cool!

I want to ride my bike the way it sits but like anything else I have a feeling I'll be digging into the motor after the basic stuff is done.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #6 - 03/13/19 at 05:46:49

LiftdT4R wrote on 03/12/19 at 18:11:42:
Awesome, from what I was reading here it sounds like a 52.2 pilot and 152.5 main is what most guys have luck with. I've read all of the Savage carb tuning guides too and my idle air mixture plug was already pulled when I got the bike. What are ya running?

Also, I'm still learning the lingo on these bikes. What do you mean by sticky sliders?

I've been seeing a lot of the white spacer mod but no definitive answer on whether to do it or not and how many spacers to run. I guess this is the same as changing the clip position on carbs with a slide but on all the bikes I've had I've always left the clip at the stock position. I understand how it changes the performance of the carb just never had the need to do it.
-------------------------------

The diaphragm assembly is a vacuum operated throttle slide.  If the slide gets worn, it gets sticky and sometimes causes flat spots in throttle response.  I think a lot of people confuse this condition with a jetting issue.

I think I'm running a 47.5/147.5.  The PO had a 55/155 setup in it when I got it and it was a turd and backfired on deceleration a lot.  My bike runs better and pretty much never backfires.  I took it all the way to stock and that was a tad too lean on sub 45* mornings.   My current setup works well down to mid-30's and still runs decently in the mid-80's. My bike is stock with a dyna muffler.

I wouldn't do the white spacer mod until you get the top and bottom end running strong.  I did a 1/2 spacer and a 3/4 spacer.  I ended up with the 3/4 spacer but probably could have just run it stock by the time I settled in on my main jet.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #7 - 03/13/19 at 09:03:14

LiftdT4R wrote on 03/12/19 at 18:19:43:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1426265605/0

IP Logged
Chicagobob
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 03/13/19 at 09:09:09

Rycas are great!  Any build that cuts 60-70 lbs to free up that great OHC thumper has got to lead to a lot of fun.  I like mine, and used a Shorai battery to simplify and lighten it even more,

IP Logged
LiftdT4R
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 03/13/19 at 10:08:17

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 03/13/19 at 09:03:14:
LiftdT4R wrote on 03/12/19 at 18:19:43:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1426265605/0

WOW! That is one awesome build! I'll be reading through that thread at work for the next few days. I immediately noticed what a PITA the side covers were to remove so I'll be using that wing nut trick for sure.

Do you know what jetting you're running?

Edit: Also saw that QQ plate in the background of your pics. What kinda old car/truck ya got?

I used to be big into International Scouts and I have a bunch of QQ plates hanging in my garage too but sadly they're all gone now.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #10 - 03/13/19 at 14:47:18

I think I'm running a 52 and 155 with the #4 washer shims to make the mid-throttle a bit richer. I haven't messed with it n years because it was correct on the first shot. The only time I notice a lean surge is when the engine is cold - and that's exactly how you want it.

The QQ's are for a '72 240Z.

240Z_Right_Front.jpg

IP Logged
playhard67

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 03/13/19 at 18:54:19

Beautiful bike Gary, and gorgeous 240Z.  Always loved those cars.  Drove a 240Z when I was 14 down to the red light district in DC........  Fun Times.

IP Logged
LiftdT4R
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 03/14/19 at 06:22:31

Awesome Z! I've been wanting to pickup another project car for a while now but man if bikes are time sink cars are even moreso. Maybe when I retire! Smiley

Thanks for the jetting advice. The last carb'd bike I had was a YZ250 and on the 2 smokers even a small jetting change makes a huge difference. I see such a huge variation of jetting for what look like similar motor setups so I'm guessing maybe these bikes aren't all that picky.

My bike has a terrible stumble when I crack the throttle and almost no low end so I'm thinking I'm way rich on the pilot. No clue what's in there now and I haven't touched the idle air screw so I know I'm due to figure out what all I got.

Did you change out for the Raptor petcock too? I heard that because more air is flowing through the intake that the stock vacuum petcock won't work correctly and I noticed that's still on my bike. I ordered one and I'm thinking I should install it and run the bike before making any jetting changes.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #13 - 03/14/19 at 06:57:57

A stumble off idle is an indication of LEAN jetting. The Savage responds well to a richer pilot and needle circuit. If you are planning an exhaust and/or intake modification, do it when changing the jets.

The Raptor mod has ZERO effect on jetting.

Old cars eat money...and time.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #14 - 03/14/19 at 07:30:11