Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
Purple Passion - (**UPDATE -Final Paint!! ***) (Read 2878 times)
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Re: Purple Passion - (**UPDATE - Seat Mods ***)
Reply #15 - 02/09/16 at 19:12:58

So here is some more of the build of Purple Passion.  I am switching to mag rims so I bought a rear wheel from a 1983 GS550L.  I plan to mount that but in the short term I grabbed the rear wheel off my 1983 GR650 Tempter project (future) bike and dropped that on since it had a tire on it.  The rims have different OEM PN's but both will work as a straight drop in replacement.  I am running the stock crush drive and stock brake hub.

From there I set out to do the chain conversion.  Now I am running a 130/90-16 rear tire so that increases the rear tire diameter from a stock 23.8 inches to 25.2 inches which is about a 5.9% increase in final gearing (or reduction in rpms which ever way you want to look at it).  My target was about a 10% increase in overall gearing and I wanted to keep the front sprocket as relatively large as possible to limit the load on the counter shaft bearing.  For the sprockets I chose a 17/49 combination 2.6% taller gearing than stock pulleys.  However that combined with the bigger wheel diameter then gives a total overall gearing increase of 9.5%.  This takes my speed at 4,000 rpm from 59 mph to 65 mph or look at it the other way if you prefer at 60 mph my revs drop from 4,050 to 3,700 rpm.  Lastly if my wife ever wants more acceleration and get back closer to stock then I can drop the front sprocket one tooth to a 16 tooth and I am at only 3% over stock.

If anyone is interested in looking at a chain conversion I have a nice Excel spreadsheet that looks at all the ratios and speeds by 100 rpm increments.  All you punch in is your tire diameter and front and rear sprocket or pulley sizes.   Just send me an email and I will shoot it too you.

It looks something like this.

I went with EK530RX X-ring chain with steel JT sprockets.

Now I did find with that sprocket combination I was running ended up very close to the end of the axle slot.  Once the chain were to stretch and wear the sprockets a bit I would run out of adjustment and then have to take out another two links.  This also would negate my ability to drop the front sprocket by one tooth quickly.  So I decided to slightly lengthen the slot forward in the swingarm.  I clamped it up in the mill and ended up lengthening it by about 0.230".   Here is a picture of the stock slot compared to the lengthened slot.

This allowed me to shorten the chain by 2 links and run closer to the front of the slot.  Of course it is never quite that easy.  I found that my chain adjusters were just a hair too short to get that full 0.230" so I went to my favorite hardware store...Ebay!   I bought a set of GS450 chain adjusters and it was off to the races!  Here are the adjusters side by side S-40 and GS450.

Here is a picture with the chain adjusters on.

Ok so now that the driveline was sorted out I wanted to retain the stock belt guard.  This is what it looks like stock with a 49 tooth rear sprocket.  I really didn't like all the daylight between the guard and the sprocket & chain.

Just to keep the pictures close here is where I got too.

To get there it required a few small modifications.

First I forgot to mention that I cut off and ground away the vertical mounting tab that is on the swingarm as well as the inside of the belt guard.  This was to allow clearance for the chain.  Next I had to trim off part of the bottom of the guard or it would hit the SA when I dropped the back.  

Here is what it looks like trimmed and in place.  I also had to trim just a little up where it wraps over the front of the SA by the front screw.

The last thing I had to do was move the mount hole on the rear tab of the guard.  I pulled the shock bolt out and dropped the guard down in place and marked the hole.  Here it is drilled out.

and then slotted

I realized I never took a picture at the very end so you will have to use your imagination but I cut the two little odd tails off so it looked more like the stock shape.

Over all I am very happy with that part of the conversion.

I just installed my Verslavy and next I have to fix the head plug leak and set the valve adjustment.

After that I will move on to the new front mag rim and a 320mm rotor and caliper upgrade for that wheel.

WWW   IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: Purple Passion - (**UPDATE - Chain guard mods*
Reply #16 - 02/10/16 at 19:04:48

Blue, I've got a similar spreadsheet posted here:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1174239333/45#45

You have to unzip it first and then open it.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Kruzader

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Stockon, CA
Reply #17 - 02/21/16 at 22:56:04

I'm learning a lot out of this build.  Thank you.

When you need something and have limited resources be creative.

2005 Boulevard S40 - Elevation 13'
  IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #18 - 03/27/16 at 10:30:50

thank you for the write-up on the seat MOD.

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #19 - 03/27/16 at 11:23:13

you are all very welcome! I am currently working on the LED tailight mounting, a dyna muffler and a mount for the Trial Tech computer.  Then it will be onward to a mag front wheel with a 320mm brake rotor mod.

WWW   IP Logged
jrobeson18

Jeep and a Suzuki,
how can i lose?

Charlotte NC
Reply #20 - 03/28/16 at 09:30:58

How hard was is for the wheel conversion? And belt to chain? I'd be interested in doing it as well.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #21 - 03/28/16 at 19:01:20

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #22 - 03/29/16 at 05:20:05

If you search the forum for mag wheels and chain conversion (two separate searches) and you will find quite a bit of info about them.  if you still have questions contact me and I will try to answer your questions.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #23 - 03/29/16 at 08:27:18

WWW   IP Logged
jrobeson18

Jeep and a Suzuki,
how can i lose?

Charlotte NC
Reply #24 - 03/29/16 at 17:24:05

Yeah.. Thats a little to deep for my taste. I think ill keep my belt drive for now.

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Re: Purple Passion - (**UPDATE - Bike is Rolling!*
Reply #25 - 09/04/16 at 17:10:47

Ok, sorry for the delay but I finally have the bike out this summer and we are shaking it down.  I have some pictures for people to compare this custom to my wife's other S-40 which is close to stock other than the Dyna muffler.

Here is some left and right comparison pics (note the sensor and wiring on the right side will go away.  That is just an Air Fuel sensor to check the jetting.

Here is a comparison of the rear seats

And the tanks.  note the speedo on the new tank does work.  I connected it with a custom speedo cable from Motion Pro.  It would read correctly if I had stock wheels and gearing but I am currently reading 10% slow due to 16" rear and the increased gearing I did with the sprocket selection.  The Vapor computer is correct.

The front brake upgrade to 320mm wave rotor and 4 piston early GSX-R/Bandit caliper - custom brake line from Spiegler

The rear sprocket conversion with lowered belt guard

« Last Edit: 09/05/16 at 06:45:23 by smokin_blue »  
WWW   IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Re: Purple Passion - (**UPDATE - Bike is Rolling!!
Reply #26 - 09/04/16 at 17:40:14

Very nice job,did you do any engine mods ?

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #27 - 09/04/16 at 20:41:11

I did not do any mods on this one other than the cam chain tensioner.  I have a K&N flat air filter in place of the stock one.

I did mod my cafe engine tho...  That one has a ported exhaust, mid range cam, flat slide carb and a high flow exhaust.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1378864265/30

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #28 - 09/07/16 at 05:12:41

Off topic replies have been moved to this thread.

Both the Purple Passion and the Cafe' ala cart have been copied into the Bike Build index page, and I have moved the Cafe' bike comments over to the Cafe' bike thread to try and keep the threads a bit more organized.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #29 - 09/07/16 at 19:05:36

One thing I should mention that I have had to do since the last pictures were taken of Purple Passion was to widen the foot peg stance.  With the wider tank the pegs were just a little too far inward.  I fabricated mount extenders that moved the pegs out 2".  I then extended the foot levers to match.  Now it has some very comfortable ergos to match the wider tank.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/09/24 at 03:56:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Purple Passion - (**UPDATE -Final Paint!! ***)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.