Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 61
Send Topic Print
Android/Chrome/Fuchsia vs Windows/Polaris (Read 15390 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Android vs Windows 10
Reply #75 - 03/09/16 at 13:33:14

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/canonical-ubuntu-core-convergence-mwc,31359....

Canonical Impresses With Ubuntu Core And Low-Power Mobile Devices

OK, first of all this is being reported by a very old, respected and VERY MUCH mainstream PC test site, Tomshardware.com.

This is not fluff, it is not propaganda and it is not "linux people", it is very much mainstream PC people reporting this  stuff.

Next, it is backed up with hands on use, going back to year 2013 with these same guys who have been owning the quoted equipment all along for the last five (5) years.

Next, when Toms says MS is just brown vapor bullshitting people about "convergence" being their idea, then Tom's bloody well know the facts behind it.

Just Some Old Smartphone Acting Like A PC

"I was sufficiently impressed by the Aquaris M10 Ubuntu Edition tablet demo’s multitasking performance, but Collins had another surprise in store when we switched to the smartphone-as-PC demo.

Thanks to Ubuntu Core, you can connect a smartphone to an external monitor, and the phone’s open applications will show up as windowed, desktop-looking apps.

As with the tablet, you can’t get a dual-screen experience. However, Canonical cleverly found a way to use the smartphone’s touch display as an input device. The phone’s display is off, but in the video (above), you can see that you can use it to move the mouse cursor around just as you would on any laptop touchpad, and you can perform taps and a two-finger scroll. (When connected to an external display, the tablet offers the same.) Connect yourself a keyboard, and you’re all set with a hybrid laptop/desktop input experience and a PC-like environment on your monitor.

However, it’s not as fluid as the tablet experience. There’s a small amount of mouse input lag, for example, and the apps didn’t seem to respond quite as readily as one would like. That would be more disappointing if the attached smartphone powering the experience was a high-end device, but effectively, they were using just some old smartphone. It was, in fact, a Nexus 4--a phone so old that you can’t even buy it anymore.

I pressed Collins on the minimum required specs for this experience, and I seemed to have stumped him, as he didn’t have a ready answer. But then he made this point: Canonical hasn’t bothered to define minimum requirements because there are so few phones available that can’t run it.

All a handset really needs, Collins said, is 2 GB of RAM. The rest is gravy."

So, MS is/has been bullshitting the world about "convergence" because they don't really have it yet, Canonical has had it in the can for the past five years, and ANY modern phone has more than enough grunt to run it, but you really do need 2 gigs of memory.  

Next year's primo phones start coming out of the gate with up to six gigs of memory, so this is not an issue, really.

Android N has just been announced to contain Windowing functionality. so MS had best pull its thumb out of its rectum and get to moving  or MS will get all lapped all over yet again by everybody.

http://liliputing.com/2016/03/google-releases-android-n-developer-preview.html

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #76 - 03/09/16 at 22:03:55

http://www.zdnet.com/article/google-microsoft-apple-where-does-the-money-come...

Microsoft is running a whole year late at this point in time on Win 10.   Win 10 phone is just about a dead issue right now, and mainstream PC implementation is falling woefully short of the one billion desktops that were promised by mid year.

Why is MS allowing this to happen?  

BECAUSE IT DOES NOT MATTER ANY MORE .....

Microsoft finds that Win 10 does not and never will contribute large dollars to the MS cash register, so resources are being shifted away from the efforts to other more profitable arms of the company.

If this means you wait forever for drivers that work with your old hardware, tough.  Some half-arsed generic drivers is all MS is ever going to give you after TRASHING your old vendor based drivers as "conflicting non-standard driver software".

Why?   MS keeps churning the code base for Win 10 --- it is never "done" enough for the old vendors to try to write any "fix it" drivers any more.    They can't hit a moving target, in other words.   By the time they write something, MS has moved out from underneath them again .....

Also, MS sees the phone/pc thing coming on strong now from both Android and Linux -- on top of Google's Chrome OS picking up even more market share ongoing.

PC shipments will continue to decline 6-10% year on year, in other words ......

Win 10 has caused a LACK of new PC sales as the New PC pricing is all out of joint right now and the drivers mess has no end in sight as last night MS changed things yet again.

« Last Edit: 03/10/16 at 18:01:22 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #77 - 03/09/16 at 22:21:49

For a limited time, Google will sell you a new Nexus 5p phone for $199 and hook you up to Google Fi for $30 a month, giving your back up to $10 for unused data each month.

This is cheaper than Republic Wireless, and at a a much better service level too.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #78 - 03/10/16 at 04:35:29

As a google fan, I was looking into Fi also.... here is a review

http://venturebeat.com/2015/12/28/google-project-fi-review/

The biggest worry I would have, is that I would purchase the phone for $200 and google go and cancel the program. (much like my google glass)

I have four phones on my plan... i'm a crazy softy and let my sister in law and a friend who can't afford a phone ride on my plan.

At current I spend right at $180 a month (taxes included).... for unlimited talk and text for all phones and 6 gig of data on mine.

The wife and sister in law only have flip phones. My friend has an older (blackberry style) flat phone.

I was hoping Google Fi would be the answer to my dilemma of large phone bills, but the initial investment on phones and the likely hood of folks going over a set data fee would put me right back at the same price I am paying now.

Currently I am looking into getting the government phone for the sister in law (she is disabled) and for my buddy who really doesn't have a job other than his dog kennel (which loses money monthly) which sorta doubles as a dog shelter.

If I can get them off the bill, the wife and I will look into something better than Verizon.... even if I have to do the old AARP cricket or whatever they call it now....

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #79 - 03/10/16 at 06:14:55

I am sticking with the $10 Republic Wireless Plan for the time being.   I do not use my phone for phone calls for much, and I am inside wifi when I do use it so I need very little in the way of a phone plan for myself, personally.

I have two phone bodies to use up now, I will keep my wife's old phone around as a backup.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #80 - 03/10/16 at 15:23:53

Got the new ($249 -- $49 extra for 32 gigs of "program holding memory") Nexus 5X in today and got it all set up for my wife -- her phone number has to port over now to complete the change up, plus adding and remembering all the passwords for each of the "executable" items like Netflix.

The new phone has over four times as much processor, twice as much systems memory and 4 times as much local storage as her old phone had.

It is quick and it makes very few mistakes when interpreting what you say to it.  

It is twice as much available "screen surface" (higher density plus more square inches of screen) and the contrast and color are better than before too.   Phone overall is both thinner and lighter than before and yes my wife can hold it and do it with one little bitty sweetheart hand -- she is pleased with her new phone.

And yes, her new phone will be "PC ready" when Android N and O each get out there in a year or two, or right about when her PC is finally killed off by MS.    I daresay Jide will support her phone starting sometimes later on this year with their full bag of PC style tricks as the Nexus phones always get to go first.    Ditto for Ubunu, Nexus phones are always supported first with any new Ubuntu stuff as well.

You see, the Nexus 5x already has the required 2 gigs of fast "PC" systems memory already in it .......  along with the required industrial strength USB C connector.

Wink    

And yes, Google Fi phones are swinging all three modes all the time  -- wifi and both/each T-Mobile and Sprint 4G-LTE full speed tower service packages, doing 3 way full speed swapping between the three as you roll down the road.

Whatever signal is stronger, for as long as it is the best.     Wink

« Last Edit: 03/10/16 at 18:03:03 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #81 - 03/10/16 at 17:14:26

http://www.infoworld.com/article/3042155/microsoft-windows/windows-patch-kb-3...

Windows patch KB 3139929: When a security update is not a security update ???

Microsoft buried a Get Windows 10 ad generator inside this month's Internet Explorer security patch for Windows 7 and 8.1

If Microsoft's documentation is correct, installing Patch Tuesday's KB 3139929 security update for Internet Explorer also installs a new Windows 10 ad-generating routine called KB 3146449.

Many people -- present company included -- feel that putting an ad generator inside a security patch crosses way over the line. In fact, you have to ask yourself if there are any lines any more.

I think MS has actually completely lost it a while back and is now floundering their way back towards pissing off all of corporate level IT all over the place by casually committing this level of Pure Bullshite in a way that is actually showing up now in the Corporate America KB traffic flow.  

Consequently getting caught and blown out of the water by the PC press corps yet again for doing really really stupid stuff ......

There is no hiding what MS is up to any more -- there is no possible feasible excuse to slap over this after the fact.

Roll Eyes

(kinda like trying to cover up the rust holes in the hull of a ship with a fresh coat of paint .....)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #82 - 03/11/16 at 18:35:42

http://liliputing.com/2016/03/ubuntu-versions-of-dell-xps-13-precision-laptop...

Dell is updating its “Project Sputnik” line of laptops which ship with Ubuntu Linux rather than Microsoft Windows software.

These are premium programming workstations, not casual PCs.

If you were hoping to save money by purchasing a laptop that doesn’t come with a Windows license, you should note that none of these options are cheap: The cheapest XPS 13 Developer Edition at the moment sells for $1550.

What you get for that price is a thin and light 13 inch laptop with a Core i7 Skylake processor, 8GB of RAM, 256GB of solid state storage, and a 3200 x 1800 pixel touchscreen display. Dell also offers models with up top 16GB of RAM and up to 1TB of storage.

All of Dell’s Linux notebooks currently ship with Ubuntu 14.04, which is the latest long-term-service release of the operating system. Eventually Dell plans to update to Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, which will be released in April.

OK, business is NOT WANTING WINDOWS so much any more -- most real serious internet based programmers prefer Ubuntu now for their main machines.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #83 - 03/11/16 at 18:57:38

the little window showed up at work today.
I told the IT guy...  Shocked

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #84 - 03/13/16 at 06:48:46

Back to the Linux Mint hacking for a minute.

AVG and AVAST both offered help to Mint structure a no-user-bother defensive set-up, as did a couple of commercial web page building firms -- all FOSS gratus of course.   Mint has new options to follow at this point going forward.  

Ubuntu is taking a new look at security as well, as is the Mother of all Distros, Debian itself.   Both have better security than Mint had at the time, but that may change soon.   If Mint (and their helpers) comes up with something neat, they can feel free to copy it.

PS

???? Somebody ????  went and wrecked the Bulgarians world for them, very very thoroughly,  as a reminder to stay the frick away from good FOSS contributors in the future.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #85 - 03/15/16 at 08:45:46

http://kotaku.com/my-pc-upgraded-to-windows-10-without-asking-then-immed-1764...

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2450852/updategate-microsoft-is-repo...

http://venturebeat.com/2016/03/04/epics-tim-sweeney-questions-microsofts-comm...

http://www.infoworld.com/article/3042155/microsoft-windows/windows-patch-kb-3...

THE BORG ARE COMING FOR YOU -- NOW, TONIGHT  !!!!

Microsoft's latest and greatest Fruck Up --- Auto-upgrading to Win10, killing off all old drivers that are "nonconforming" then failing to start back up when it auto-reboots itself because the MS "standard drivers" don't / won't work with the old hardware ......

Remember, even if your old hardware vendor still exists, he can't write a 'fix it" driver because MS keeps changing Win 10 every week ......  creating the "walled garden effect" MS is trying for.

REMEMBER, you are either in the garden 100%, or else you are locked outside the garden by the operating system.   Or simply deleted as part of the "non-conforming stuff" which is checked during every update, which takes place every single night

=======================================     "the walled garden effect" explained in detail   ===================================

The devil is in the technical details, and Sweeney said he would be happy to be called a “paranoid conspiracy theorist.” Microsoft has created a Universal Windows Platform (UWP) with Windows 10, and it has launched new PC Windows features exclusively in UWP, and is “effectively telling developers you can use these Windows features only if you submit to the control of our locked-down UWP ecosystem,” Sweeney wrote.

In our interview, Sweeney said that everyone has to be vigilant because Windows 10’s design “encroaches on user freedom more than any past version.” Sweeney believes Microsoft can extend that design to what it does with third-party applications like the kind that Epic, Electronic Arts, Activision Blizzard, Valve, and many other PC game and app developers make.

« Last Edit: 03/16/16 at 07:39:50 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #86 - 03/16/16 at 07:13:06

MS "Closed Garden" proceeds along with HERE MAPS leaving MS completely .....   (stopped supporting Win 8.1 too)

http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/15/11234462/here-maps-support-windows-phone-wi...

Here maps has been a strong part of Microsoft's Windows Phone offering for years, but that's coming to an end later this month. Here is announcing today that it plans to pull its mapping apps for Windows 10 on March 29th, and "will limit the development of the apps for Windows Phone 8 to critical bug fixes." If you own one of the latest Lumia 950 handsets then Here maps will stop working after June 30th. If you're still on a Windows Phone 8.1 device then Here maps will keep working, unless you upgrade to Windows 10 Mobile once it's available in the coming weeks.

"We made the Here apps compatible with Windows 10 by using a workaround that will no longer be effective after June 30, 2016," explains Here spokesperson Pino Bonetti. "To continue offering the HERE apps for Windows 10 would require us to redevelop the apps from the ground up, a scenario that led to the business decision to remove our apps from the Windows 10 store.
"

http://mspoweruser.com/finally-admits-drops-windows-10-stops-wp8-1-development/

After a long period of will she or wont she HERE has finally admitted that they are withdrawing from Windows Phone development.

Posting on their blog they write:

In the last few months, we made the HERE apps compatible with Windows 10 by using a workaround that will no longer be effective after June 30, 2016. To continue offering the HERE apps for Windows 10 would require us to redevelop the apps from the ground up, a scenario that led to the business decision to remove our apps from the Windows 10 store.

This means the HERE apps will no longer work on devices running Windows 10 mobile after June 30, 2016. To prepare for this change, we have also decided to remove the HERE apps from the Windows 10 store on March 29, 2016.
Windows Phone 8.1 users are not spared however.  While the app will remain available for Windows Phone 8.1 users, HERE will no longer be updating the app or associated maps.

HERE writes:

HERE is deeply integrated in the Windows Phone 8 operating system. The HERE apps for Windows Phone 8 will continue to work for you without any disruption. However, we made the business decision to stop the development of new features. Additionally, the maps developed specifically for Windows Phone will not be updated.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/16/11243974/microsoft-windows-10-maps-app-update

Here Maps announced its plans to drop support for Windows Phone and Windows 10 yesterday. As the primary mapping service for Windows Phone, it leaves existing users with Microsoft's own lackluster maps app. Thankfully, Microsoft appears to be ready to improve its own maps situation. In a post on Reddit, a verified Microsoft employee identified as Dave_MSFT reveals that the company has an "exciting update" planned for the Windows 10 maps app.

What does this mean for MS?    First, MS Phone just got dumped by HERE MAPS because they killed off a key vendor's ability to put his stuff inside their walled garden.   Second, they have to either make or buy a mapping app for Windows Phone, ASAP.

Third, who really cares about Windows Phone anymore?   So what if they don't have enough apps to fill out all the little square blocks on their start screen any more -- who cares?

MS should care, a lot.  

If software vendors in general stop supporting the Windows 10 UNIVERSAL WINDOWS PLATFORM  --  then it is all over for MS at that point in time.    And this HAS ALREADY HAPPENED, wholesale, over in the Win 10 for phone Universal Application vendor platform base.

« Last Edit: 03/16/16 at 10:45:40 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #87 - 03/16/16 at 07:51:01

http://liliputing.com/2016/03/meizu-pro-6-first-phone-mediatek-helio-x25-chip...

Meizu Pro 6 to be first phone with a MediaTek Helio X25 chip

In fact, Meizu had to have exclusive rights to the chip for at least a few months, which means you probably won’t be able to find any other phones with Helio X25 chips until this summer at the earliest.

Meizu hasn’t officially launched the Meizu Pro 6 smartphone yet, but rumor has it that the processor will only be one of the phone’s special features. It’s also expected to feature 6GB of RAM, a dual-edge display, and maybe even a pressure-sensitive “Force Touch” screen.

Back to the chip though, the Helio X25 will feature:

2 ARM Cortex-A72 CPU cores clocked at 2.5 GHz,
4 ARM Cortex-A53 CPU cores clocked at 2 GHz
4 ARM Cortex-A53 CPU cores clocked at 1.4 GHz
ARM Mali-T800 series graphics clocked at 850 MHz

LTE Cat 6/300 Mbps

Pump Express 3.0 fast charging

The key differences between the new chip and the old Helio X20 are that the older model had top speeds of 2.3 GHz for the Cortex-A72 cores and 780 MHz for the GPU.

Qualcomm released the Samsung-built 820 chipset, which raised the bar slightly above the MediaTek  X20 for graphics speed and raw processing power.  

It only took MediaTek 4 months to respond with a Qualcomm 820 beating chipset called the MediaTek X25 .....

And, when Android N comes out, do you think these sorts of phones with 6 gigs of systems memory will be able to run your built-in Android desktop software on those 10 fast CPU cores ????

« Last Edit: 03/16/16 at 14:03:35 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #88 - 03/16/16 at 14:01:58

Flip side time ..... why do you really need Windows 10?

1)  Your work requires it, having absolutely locked in on MS OFFICE or Autocad, etc. in years past.

2)  Your gaming requires it, you are hooked on PC Triple AAA titles and can't get loose.

YOU can expect to be forced into buying a brand new Wintel rig inside the next 24 months if either of these two things is true.    

The "walled garden" lock in level you are about to see in HAS SIMPLY NEVER EXISTED AT THIS ABSOLUTE A LEVEL BEFORE.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #89 - 03/16/16 at 16:37:16

http://www.computerworld.com/article/3044518/microsoft-windows/users-seethe-a...

People report that they weren't given a chance to decline, that their PCs were crippled, that they can't use their systems until they submit to Windows 10

"Some Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users have begun to howl over Microsoft's practice of automatically upgrading their PCs to Windows 10, saying that they were never given a chance to decline the upgrade before it installed itself.

That was contrary to how Microsoft has described its aggressive strategy of pushing Windows 10 to devices running older versions of its operating system. "Customers continue to be fully in control of their devices, and can choose to not install the Windows 10 upgrade or remove the upgrade from Windows Update (WU) by changing the WU settings," Microsoft said in an emailed statement.

That's not what some users experienced last week.

"My computer was working great last night [but] this morning it says, 'Microsoft Legal Agreement' with bunch of legal information and WAY at the bottom 'Accept your new Windows 10' or 'Decline,'" wrote a someone identified as scifixtion in a Friday post to Microsoft's support forum. "I hit Decline and it says, 'It will take a few moments to go back to your old Windows software,' [but] then it goes black and go[es] right back to [the] Microsoft legal agreement [and shows] 'Accept windows 10' or 'Decline.' I've hit Decline a dozen times and it won't budge."

The legal agreement that scifixtion referenced was the Windows 10 end-user license agreement, or EULA.

Others took to Reddit to report that their PCs were upgraded to Windows 10 while their backs were turned.

"I leave my house for 2 days with my computer on, I come back and I have Windows 10. What. The. F***," said MalekuaMan yesterday on Reddit.

"So my Windows 7 machine was upgraded to Windows 10 without my permission about 2 days ago," echoed rtn1797. "I downgraded [to Windows 7] but now there is a prompt that is continuously open and asking me to select a time for my Windows to update to 10. WTF?"

Some said that the EULA -- where users were given a final opportunity to reject Windows 10, albeit a process that then took time to restore the previous operating system -- appeared out of nowhere. Others reported that their systems had upgraded themselves after they'd been away from the keyboard for days, or perhaps just hours.

"This is happening to my desktop which runs [Windows] 8.1. A few days ago I came back from the shower to find my computer in the process of doing the upgrade by itself," said Heck_Tate on Monday. "I had to wait for the entire thing to coSome Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users have begun to howl over Microsoft's practice of automatically upgrading their PCs to Windows 10, saying that they were never given a chance to decline the upgrade before it installed itself.

That was contrary to how Microsoft has described its aggressive strategy of pushing Windows 10 to devices running older versions of its operating system.mplete, decline the EULA, and then wait for it to reinstall previous OS. It's now in the process of doing the exact same thing again and I'm about ready to just say f*** Windows and go with Linux."

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 61
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 13:56:42

General CategoryThe Cafe › Android/Chrome/Fuchsia vs Windows/Polaris

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.