Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 61
Send Topic Print
Android/Chrome/Fuchsia vs Windows/Polaris (Read 15390 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Android vs Windows 10
Reply #105 - 03/31/16 at 11:43:41

More clarity ---- MS wants to put a BASH editor into Windows 10.    So programmers can feel like they can use Windows 10 as a Ubuntu Linux programming machine.

Uh, it goes a long way past BASH, boys, programmers in masse don't trust your software to even BE the same software next week, much less to compile their code correctly both this week and next week.

MS has bumped into pure programmer's preference, and it is NOT FOR THEM.

« Last Edit: 03/31/16 at 16:50:33 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #106 - 04/01/16 at 13:06:46

Windows 10 just had a programmers conference in which they announced they would give programmers what they want (sorta) by giving them BASH running on a Win 10 machine using hacked together linux like Windows stuff.

Big yawn ---- nobody seems impressed except the MS fanboys ......

What did come out of the conference was a complete LACK OF MENTION OF WIN 10 PHONE and no signs of any resources working on it.

What is now coming out are polls and such asking about "Android phones" that come from MS ..... expensive phones with Win 10 like features in the Android mix.

This is not new --- two years ago Wall Street told MS to fork Android and put their stuff in it and sell it for $$$$.   Now that Win 10 Phone has just about quit kicking looks like MS will have to do just that.

Where does this leave Intel?    Well, since Win 10 phone isn't doing well and MS has jumped ship from Intel to Qualcomm on Windows phones anyway it sorta leaves Intel as the "outside dog" until they can invent some sort of desirable mobile world type chipset.

Outside dog is the one left out in the rainy drizzly cold, scratching at the glass and whining to be let into the house.

Ubuntu -- pay attention to what happened to IBM, Apple, Intel, Rockchip, and Qualcomm -- YOU are next.   That super king sized bed is smelly, sticky, lumpy and has little buggy critters living in it.

MS wants something from you ..... once they crappity smack you long enough and hard enough to get it away from you then you join Intel and Rockchip, scratching at the glass & shivering out in the cold.

"Embrace, Extend, Extinguish"     Remember that famous MS mantra for their software business attack plan when coming up against a better programming technology ???    

You do have a memory, right ????

« Last Edit: 04/02/16 at 18:07:29 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #107 - 04/02/16 at 04:54:25

Why is MS duplicating all of Linux using ONLY their own stuff?    GPL v2  (Linux license) says that if they use just one line of Linux code the entire MS system becomes open source.   And FOSS/Linux means it.   And they have already GPL'd entire chunks of MS server software because of it.

Because of this agreement reached with Ubuntu, MS must give over the source code of Win 10 to be examined periodically for infractions.

It might not be Ubuntu/Debian that gets extinguished.

BTW, the Debian folks are flat outraged that Ubuntu is making any sort of MS agreements over using their downstream code --- Ubuntu may die by being cut off at the roots by Debian.  

Linux Mint has a Debian direct based distro (complete with sharing agreements) already existing, so they are not affected by the death of Ubuntu, should it actually happen.  

Mark Shuttleworth is rumored to be tired of running an endless "yearly loss program" that has exceeded his original 10 million dollars grant amount years ago -- he is being slowly sucked dry by Ubuntu so anything that ends the pain may be good to him.  

He might / could be willing to sell out Ubuntu, in other words.

General consensus of FOSS folks is that yes, Shuttleworth can sell out and go for another vacation in space, just so he arranges to stay there ....    no one on Earth would want him back again.

« Last Edit: 04/02/16 at 06:43:42 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #108 - 04/05/16 at 02:16:19

Let's do a flip side look at the MS Ubuntu situation.

Ubuntu's proclaimed Bug #1 was that MS was the #1 OS system and Linux was not.   Worm has turned a bit, and MS wants Ubuntu to run on their OS just like any other program, because all programmers PREFER Ubuntu over Win 10.

Is this a victory on the Bug #1 issue?   Perhaps.  Of sorts.   People really don't care that much about OS systems any more, really.

Or is it simply an "Embrace, Extend, Extinguish" move on MS's part?  

Wrassle with 'ol Shuttleworth on the big bed until they get what they want out of him, then put him outside the sliding door out in the cold with all the others.

« Last Edit: 04/06/16 at 03:00:53 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #109 - 04/06/16 at 02:51:46

https://news.samsung.com/global/samsung-starts-mass-producing-industrys-first-10
-nanometer-class-dram

Samsung Starts Mass Producing Industry’s First 10-Nanometer Class DRAM

Samsung has working 10nm production equipment and is ready to start selling 10nm stuff this summer.   Don't look for it to come out fast -- 10nm runs at less voltage and unless folks are going to run the rest of the board at 5v some background work needs to happen on the other component sets.   Takes 4 passes on the lithography to make it work right now .... and that makes it pricey.

Some other news, both AMD and Nvidia are both selling 14nm video cards at this point in time.  Expensive seems to be the byword on all this new FinFet stuff.   Scrap rates are high and extra passes are needed on the lithography to make this new stuff.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #110 - 04/09/16 at 05:12:37

I won't call them a PC, but the Oriental Folks are really digging the new windowing Androids that are out there right now doing some PC like duty.   This one comes in Phoenix OS and straight Android flavors right now, with Remix OS as a Play Store option.

Google is supporting this with tools and built in hooks that allow it to happen -- letting the market place drive it is smart as the market will take it where it needs to go quicker and better than Google as a single player could do.

What really is neat is this is a standard Mediatek octa core processor and two gigs of ram, 32 gigs of system memory and a 9,000 mAh battery --- this could be very affordable portable system, in other words.  

Right now it is selling in at a premium price tag as it is the first of the flock.   Think of it as a portable TV / entertainment center that can do .... work ..... if you use a cordless mouse and keyboard.

« Last Edit: 04/09/16 at 11:26:54 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #111 - 04/11/16 at 06:57:47

So I rarely check my inbox for my Microsoft outlook mail anymore.... well with win10 I get a "preview" of stuff in an "ap" block whenever I log into the laptop.
One of the emails popped out at me this morning, and its a week old! LOL...
It seems the win 10 crew is still doing "builds", and as I was an "insider" I received updates on the newest developers conference concerning a new build that I could possibly reset my machine from "zero" and reload the newest win 10 build number.....
And me being the type of "curious beat me senseless geek" I am actually thinking of just backing up my machine and rebooting it with this new "fresh" win 10 build.
I just hate having to reload all my Microsoft windows games, especially World of Warcraft, as it takes a few hours, and all the steam games take a couple hours too....
I still have my rca tablet to get on the web with and get my daily fix and answer, check and delete all my mails....sooooo.... I'll have to think hard about it today and maybe, just maybe do it tomorrow....
Yeah, I know.... DON"T OPEN THE DOOR!!!..... well, if no one opened the door you wouldn't get to see the guy get cut up with the chainsaw! Smiley Grin Grin Grin Cheesy

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #112 - 04/11/16 at 07:37:53

Coming soon to a CPU near you:
Bill gets chainsawed by the undead Bill Gates  Grin

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #113 - 04/13/16 at 02:59:45

Well, I don't know about being bushwhacked by chainsaws, but the PC shipment numbers are out with some record sales declines for this past quarter.   Win 10 is not raising sales any whatsoever.  However, some argument for the reverse may indeed be made, however.

The PC life boat is still taking on water despite MS's best frantic attempts to bail out the boat .....

Top 5 Vendors, Worldwide PC Shipments, First Quarter 2016 (Preliminary) (Shipments are in thousands of units) is down 11.5 % quarter on quarter to last year.

http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS41176916

http://www.gartner.com/newsroom/id/3280626

Reminder, these are world wide numbers we are talking about.

As always, Gartner and IDC track each other fairly closely even though they come at it from different sources and count different items.

What is scary is the little guys are leaving the market completely to the tune of 18-20% decline to this time last year.   This was one of the big strengths of the old PC market, all the little guys selling stuff right and left -- they are shrinking to just about gone now.

The 10% constant shrinkage means simply this -- after 5 years of it you should have about half as many PCs as you used to have, especially in growing markets that do not have layers of them sitting abandoned in closets and basements like so many Americans do.

What is making up the gap in actual use, since internet use is way way up world-wide?

Phones -- most internet traffic takes place on phones now, especially in emerging markets.  I pick phones that can display and do all my stuff, and since Android's voice stuff got good I can make a post verbally and correct it faster than I can type it out.   I do most of my looking on a phone now -- only do ornate posts on PC as it is still easier to move a photo and such like.

« Last Edit: 04/14/16 at 02:58:54 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #114 - 04/14/16 at 12:58:45

Yup, phones and tablets are taking the market over now. You will see a lot of the tablet market with the detachable keyboards taking over the light office work also, it only makes sense to be able to take your work home with you when you cannot finish your deadline at work.
Memory sticks getting smaller and with more capacity and less heat will improve phones and tablets even more.
I went to a friends two weeks ago to help him hook his tablet up to his 45" TV to watch some amazon video's.
All we had to do was get him a mini-hdmi to regular hdmi connector (he got the 12 foot cord) and put the tv selector to the proper hdmi port and BANG! we were watching the last marvel movie... he was very happy that he could just use his modem for internet connection and still use his big screen TV to watch shows via amazon.
I also took over a small "digital" antenna..... so he could pick up a couple local air wave digital channels, we only got 3 but he was happy with that.
If he had a "smart" TV like I do, he could just use amazon straight off the internet connection, as my TV uses Wi-Fi and direct connection to the modem via the R45 (?)

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #115 - 04/14/16 at 18:18:22

of
http://liliputing.com/2016/04/intel-5-million-entry-level-cloudbook-laptops-s...

Intel: 5 million entry-level “Cloudbook” laptops sold to date, next-gen to feature Apollo Lake chips

Acer may be the only company that actually has a laptop called the Cloudbook. But Intel is using the term to describe a whole category of low-cost, low-power Windows laptops that sell for between $169 and $269.

And Intel says since the category was introduced in 2014, over 5 million units have been shipped.

Basically, cloudbooks are Chromebook-like notebooks with entry-level specs and price tags, but with Windows software instead of Google Chrome. Another way to think of them might be as the evolution of the netbook… but while netbooks typically had screen sizes ranging from 7 to 10 inches, most cloudbooks have screens between 11.6 and 14 inches.

Wow, real sales figures on the Chromebook Killers finally coming out from Wintel, finally leaking out from the Intel side of things ......  "over 5 million shipped over 2.5 years of time" -- Wow, that's really pitiful -- that they only sold 2 million units world-wide per year on average.   No wonder they kept the sales numbers a deep deep dark secret for so long.

Compare that please to 6m, 7m and 8m of Chromebook sales (source: Statistica) from the same time period.  Plus throw in the huge sales figures for Chromebooks coming out of the education sector (?? 20-23 million in the same period)

That's 5 million in 2.5 years for Wintel Chrome killers vs 41 million in total for Chromebooks -- I think the Chromebooks were the ones that did all the killing at 8.2x more sales.

And that is AFTER Microsoft did their loss leader pricing on the Chrome killers the first 2 years which DID NOT really get them down to be price competitive and the new Win 10 OS system DID NOT ever make them speed and feature/function competitive either.

Now the new Android/Chromebook fusion OS is coming soon to this same feature set price range swinging touch screens and other mobile features along with the traditional resizeable window motif that will make the new fusion product even more functional for work type uses.  

These will be tablet / keyboard units and very thin laptop units swinging everybody's current most powerful phone chipsets and some will be built with the new class of Intel "Apollo Lake" chipsets (still stinky brown and completely vapor based at this point in time).  

These units may be set up to use mobile connect as well as wifi connect as both mobile tower tech and wifi tech is already built into all the phone-based Mediatek and Allwinner chipsets already.

« Last Edit: 04/16/16 at 06:32:28 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #116 - 04/14/16 at 21:18:41

Like I stated a few years back, it will soon be an "all in one" unit for the house as my tv can do internet search using its installed web connector.
I'm not sure everything my smart TV can do exactly, I've never used it to search the net, perhaps since Cox has gone all digital with my connection i'll play around with it a bit.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #117 - 04/16/16 at 06:29:33

http://liliputing.com/2016/04/hp-building-new-chromebook-16gb-ram-not-google....

http://www.chromestory.com/2016/01/hp-plans-to-bring-virtual-reality-to-chrom...

You can often find hints about upcoming Chromebooks and other Chrome OS devices by scanning the Chromium OS source code commits and discussions. And a few weeks ago we started to see hints that a new model with 16GB of RAM and an Intel Skylake processor was on the way.

Maybe it’s not surprising that a lot of people assumed it would be a next-gen Google Chromebook Pixel, since Google is one of the few companies that offers Chromebooks with high-end specs.

But it looks like this particular model is actually being built by HP.

HP Plans to Bring Virtual Reality to Chromebooks

Virtual Reality and web. Web and Chromebooks. That’s what HP is aspiring to do. They are currently experimenting with VR on Windows 10 computers. The plan is to expand to Chrome OS.

HP wants to add “blended reality” features—including VR and 3D printing—to laptops and desktops running the Chrome OS and operating systems other than  Windows, the report says.

HP is pretty much OS agnostic -- they throw them all out and see which ones stick to the wall.
It is interesting that a Chrome based VR system will only take half as much memory as a Win 10 VR system will demand to do the same job ......

And if you think Win 7 was fat and porky and slow --- wait until you see next year's Win 10 for Enterprise waddle into view.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #118 - 04/17/16 at 06:01:00

http://liliputing.com/2016/04/microsoft-just-confirm-unannounced-qualcomm-sna...

About all we know for certain right now is that there’s a new chip on the way, and that Microsoft plans to support it. But older rumors suggest that the Snapdragon 830 processor will be a 10nm chip with support for up to 8GB of RAM, and that the chip should be available in 2017.

There’s also at least one report that claims Microsoft may use the Snapdragon 830 chip in its upcoming Surface Phone or a future Lumia handset.

Undecided

Why is this important?   Samsung and Apple and Qualcomm have all lapped Intel on the road to 10nm as Samsung, Apple and Qualcomm ARE ALREADY THERE THIS YEAR and Intel is still talking 2018 before they get there.  

This is bad, very bad for Intel -- it means they have lost all pretense at chip building technical leadership at this point in time -- Wall Street will now lower their stock price accordingly in the very near future.

« Last Edit: 04/17/16 at 07:02:36 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #119 - 04/17/16 at 06:12:40

http://www.oregonlive.com/silicon-forest/index.ssf/2016/04/intel_planning_for...

Intel planning for thousands of job cuts, internal memo sources say

Intel is preparing a significant round of job cuts across business units this spring, according to multiple sources inside the company familiar with its plans.

The cutbacks will reduce employment in some parts of the business by double-digit percentages, according to Intel insiders, amounting to thousands of job cuts across the company by the end of the year. The planned downsizing could begin soon after Intel reports its first-quarter financial results Tuesday.

Sources indicate this year's cutbacks will be considerably larger than layoffs last year, when Intel eliminated more than 1,100 U.S. jobs after anticipated sales growth failed to materialize.

The pending cuts are part of a rapidly unfolding reorganization at Intel, accompanied by a major overhaul within Intel's executive ranks. Former president Renée James left last year, replaced by Venkata "Murthy" Renduchintala, who was hired last year from rival chipmaker Qualcomm. And Intel announced last week that two top vice presidents who reported to Renduchintala are leaving.

Sources inside the company say the roles of other top executives are also in flux.

Last week, Renduchintala sent senior management a memo outlining a new plan for developing key products to address a "competitiveness gap" in Intel's technology.

Intel is facing other issues beyond lagging PC sales, highlighted by the increasing complexity of of the technology inside computer chips. As feature sizes shrink and chip designs grow more sophisticated, Intel has found it more expensive and time consuming to engineer and manufacture each new generation of microprocessor technology.

As a result, Intel is slowing the cadence at which it rolls out new generations of chip technology. That erodes the competitive advantage Intel has long enjoyed over rival chipmakers and puts new cost pressures on the company.

Additionally, sources inside the company say Intel may be looking to consolidate some operations and close some smaller outposts after a series of acquisitions, notably last year's $16.7 billion takeover of programmable chipmaker Altera.

Job cuts could be a way to address those pressures and protect Intel's profit margins as the company retools for new generations of technology.

Can you say "I've been overcome by events and I no longer lead my industry in anything except brown vapor stinky smoke production and consistent very high prices."

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 61
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/07/24 at 04:42:43

General CategoryThe Cafe › Android/Chrome/Fuchsia vs Windows/Polaris

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.