Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 19
Send Topic Print
Dragon Run #2, Late Summer 2015 (Read 3292 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Dragon Run #2, Late Summer 2015
Reply #165 - 09/10/15 at 08:54:37

Have you guys checked your air filters after that red nasty dusty dirt road ride?

I updated the air filter mod thread in the Tech Section -- you can bounce to it to see what I had to say about Dave's pavement kissing antics .....

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1183640744/9#9

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #166 - 09/10/15 at 09:59:27

Nope...haven't checked a thing.  I unpacked the bags with the clothes in them when I got home, and then parked the bike in the garage.  I then had to go and mow the yard as soon as I got home on Monday.  Tuesday was a Planning and Zoning Meeting.....last night I spent emptying the firewood out of my open trailer and stacking it in the woodshed.  The top box on the bike has not been unpacked and still has my blanket, towel and other miscellaneous stuff inside - and the air cleaner still has whatever dust it sucked up.  Tonight I have to get the enclosed trailer out of the garage and get it ready to go camping with the wife Fri/Sat night.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #167 - 09/12/15 at 22:45:15

Sorry.... just got back from Illinois on Friday... after a 14 hour drive!

Spent all day today just layin' around recoupin', I might get to downloading a couple pictures tomorrow and the bike is still in the back of the truck.
It got rained on for three days straight.... at least it was level in the truck, but i'll talk the wife into helping clean it, after all... it is HER bike! Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #168 - 09/12/15 at 23:18:15

Tried a slideshow of some photo's I took... did not write anything on the pictures yet....

http://s1047.photobucket.com/user/Orphistle/slideshow/2015%20Dragon%20Ride

Adding a couple of videos

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #169 - 09/13/15 at 02:21:02

very nice pics and such!!!  
I really should try to make it out there sometime and do this..  If life allows  Undecided

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #170 - 09/14/15 at 06:46:33

Enjoyed your pictures Bill !    I just love the lines of that old Yahama Enduro 😀.    But I'd want a new one for the "trouble free". factor 😉

I'd like thank everyone for putting up with trouble I brought with me 😕 , I had no idea he would such a pain to baby sit 😰
I hope his ambulance ride bill will bring him some reflection time. 😉
His momma still don't know 1\2 of his antics and "Whatever happens in the Mountains ..... " 😁.

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #171 - 09/14/15 at 07:17:33

Well....I suppose we need a bit of explaining.

MMRanch's nephew Jed was like a "Kid in a Candy Store" on these curvy roads....and he continued to test the traction limits of his tires in the corners.  There were no "chicken strips" on the edges of his tires.....he was continuously testing the traction limits.  He was not always content to stay with the herd....and often would shoot ahead of us to see what was around the next corner.

On our ride to the Cherohala on Sunday, Jed shot ahead of us abut a mile before we had to make a turn, and he missed it the turn.  We waited for him at the intersection, and then rode to try and find him - without success.  Later we found out he returned to the campground, and old-rider put a set of rear brake pads on for Jed.

Jed then headed to the Dragon alone.....and proceeded to enter a turn faster than his tires could handle, and he slid off the road and dislocated his shoulder.  He got a ride to the hospital in an ambulance, and someone rode his bike back to Deals Gap Resort and parked it there.  When we got back to the campground and found out what had happened, Oldfeller attached his trailer and we went to pick up his bike at the Dragon and Jed from the hospital.

Jed is a very nice kid......but I am worried about his adventurous ways.  He has been riding with his young sport biker buddies - and it appears he has no idea that public streets and public parking lots are not his personal playground, and that there are traffic laws and etiquette matters to be considered.....as well as the unknown and unexpected surprise waiting around the next corner.

If Jed doesn't settle down a bit....he will have a very short riding career.    

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #172 - 09/14/15 at 11:17:52

And......I found the lady (girl) that was playing at the restaurant that we went to on Saturday night at the Nantahala.  The surprising part is that she was only 13 years old last year....and was 14 this year?  I think the dates must be screwed up a bit on the video....she sure looked far more mature than 14 when we saw her last week.  Her name is Shannon Wurst.

She was 13 when this was recorded:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN-ge3tcW2o

She is now grown up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMlMnX2aXWc

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #173 - 09/14/15 at 21:37:43

Got them both cleaned and all shiney again...  wife actually helped this time!!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #174 - 09/15/15 at 05:47:00

Is Diana up for coming back when her wrist heals up good?   Riding her own bike that is?  

We can promise her no Jeds for that trip, seriously.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #175 - 09/15/15 at 05:56:45

Speaking of the next trip,  if Diana comes next time on her own bike I propose we stay at Blue Ridge as the accommodations are nicer and the roads are not so treacherous as the ones on the Dragon side of things.

If she isn't coming and folks who are coming want Dragon side, then lets get at least 4 to commit early on and take the BIG DOG at SimpleLife.   Price for 4 would be same as cabins at Blue Ridge and we could absorb up to 4 additional people with no sweat.

I want to cook some meat on that BIG DOG grill out on the BIG DOG deck and make that little holler fill on up with the savory smoke.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #176 - 09/15/15 at 06:46:48

If there is any pattern to what we are doing...the spring ride is in the eastern side and is based at the BlueRidge Campground, and the fall ride is based around Dragon Central.  This fall trips has come about when I realized I just wasn't getting enough of a "Dragon Fix" when we stayed in the Waynesville area in the spring.  And the ride from the Blue Ridge Campground over the the Dragon is just a bit long an tedious.  I suppose with the Dragon only being a 5 hour drive for me I could do it on my own a few more times  a year - but I do enjoy the company.

I get really busy at work in the warm summer months - so for me the trips have basically been long weekend where I leave on Wednesday night after work and get to ride on Thursday through Saturday, and then pack up and leave on Sunday morning.  Sometimes I unload the bike and take a couple of rides on the Dragon on my way home.  The 3 days of riding seems to be really short, and I sure would like to stay longer someday.  It could be a traveling event where we stay at the Blue Ridge campground for a few days....then pack up and wander over to the Simple Life for a few more days.  

IP Logged
squiggy
YaBB Newbies

Furiously Savage

Michiana
Reply #177 - 09/15/15 at 07:06:53

Off to The Dragon tomorrow for the weekend...in my car.  Maybe one of these years I will be able to take one of the bikes.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #178 - 09/15/15 at 07:50:26

Dave wrote on 09/15/15 at 06:46:48:
The 3 days of riding seems to be really short, and I sure would like to stay longer someday.  It could be a traveling event where we stay at the Blue Ridge campground for a few days....then pack up and wander over to the Simple Life for a few more days.  

Dave has just had him an idea -- a good one.   What makes it possible is that Blue Ridge will allow you to park a car and trailer at their place just so you spend part of your vacation there.

We could plan a spring trip that had arrival day and one more day at Blue Ridge then moved over to BIG DOG at Simple Life for a couple of days.   We'd just ride the bikes over.   We need 4 people to commit to the trip, though.

I too am wanting a little more time in the mountains each year ....  perhaps a "moving location" can help us get additional people to commit as they can go for the area that they like the best.

Somebody with a Farmers Almanac propose us a late spring time period with little to no rain (we tried the scientific approach with the National Weather Bureau data sheets for Waynesville and Cruso but we got rained on two years in a row)  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #179 - 09/15/15 at 08:38:06

You can come to Texas with us in April.
Although I don't know whats going to happen this year with the El Niño brewing.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 19
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 02:50:14

General CategoryThe Cafe › Dragon Run #2, Late Summer 2015

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.