Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 19
Send Topic Print
Dragon Run #2, Late Summer 2015 (Read 3292 times)
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Re: Dragon Run #2, Late Summer 2015
Reply #135 - 09/04/15 at 17:54:42

We all made it and after supper here we are just a sittin' and bullin'.... great weather, lets hope it stays that way tomorrow.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #136 - 09/07/15 at 14:34:29

I made it home safe and sound.

I left the campground area this morning where I had the last breakfast with Oldfeller and MMRanch about 10:00 I believe, and I made it the 330 miles to home just before 5:00....my fanny is tired!

We had great weather, got slightly wet a time or two but nothing serious, and we had some really fun rides.  The Cherohola Skyway was a blast, the Dragon is always a good time, and the Hub in Robinsville has some incredible BBQ (too bad we found out about that on the last night in town).

As usual....it was a good time.  Next year we might want to move the date a week or two earlier to avoid the holiday crowds and conflicts with family events (discussion about when can follow or be placed in the 2016 thread when it is started up).  At the moment I believe the spring event will be in the Waynesville area so we can explore the east side of the mountain, and the last summer event will be in the Dragon area so we can explore the west side of the mountain.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #137 - 09/07/15 at 14:56:28

I am in and I am unpacking the bags -- bike and trailer are all put away now.

I got pictures of Don's trike to put up as soon as I get a round tuit instead of all these square ones that I have to deal with right now.

I think we have discovered a gold nugget in the Dog House at Simple Life as when fully occupied it can cost less than $20 per person.   It really does have 6 FULL SIZED BEDS, an additional futon couch bed, a kitchen, a full fridge and a full bathroom and private shower.   It also has a full deck (complete with fire pit and pig cooker smoker BBQ) and its own sheltered parking lot.   We could easily stick 10 people into it and have enough room to walk around at night.   Or we could low ball it with only 4 people and it would cost as much per head as Cabin #4 at Blue Ridge.

It gets down to which side of the world you are going to -- if you are going Dragon side (west side) go to the Big Dog.   If you are going Waynesville side (east side) go to the Blue Ridge.

I also agree with Dave we need to move the early summer Dragon trip to some other section of weeks -- we have had too much rain on the spring trips of late .....

========================

Dave brought his V4 sports touring bike this time and to us it wasn't a big thing as it is a 795 pound bike that handles slowly in the curvy stuff.  

HOWEVER, on the Cherohala Skyway Dave was the demon terror of the crotch rocket guys as they simply could not shake him as he had similar acceleration and similar sweeper handling --- they got distressed and stopped, so Dave just stopped with them until we Savagers caught up.

As always, Hogs were never an issue, nor were the occasional BMW or Honda Flat six.  I finally found my throttle stop and simply didn't have enough go juice to go play at all on several uphill runs what with Dave having power everywhere and Jeb having power on the top end.

Cheesy

=========================

I have also begun cogitation on a Kawasaki Vulcan S, a 650cc vertical twin that is low enough even for me and weights about what a stock Savage weighs.

Will begin looking for a crashed unit or a bank loan take back.   Or a wifey bike that isn't liked as much in the winter as it was in the spring.

« Last Edit: 09/09/15 at 06:53:27 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #138 - 09/07/15 at 16:50:10

OK Don, I got a round tuit tonight and here are your photographs.

To use them, type some comments in the post box and immediately underneath it you will find a place to reference a picture.  

Think of it this way,

you write the comment you want to write about the picture in the post text box,

then you click inside the picture box right below the text box

it tells you to go find the picture ....

then go to the picture you want to use and click on that pic and the URL will appear in your picture box.

Clear as mud, huh?

One of you guys explain it to him, his pics are hosted and he can pick whatever he wants to use.

Wink

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
don
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #139 - 09/07/15 at 18:43:07

Hi guys, Well I got home and took nap, now I feel a lot better and ready to eat. I sure enjoyed meeting all of you all. Deals gap is a great place to visit but if you want any peace and quiet you should you find someplace nearby. All the staff was very nice to us. I am sorry to report that about halfway down the dragon coming home we came upon a bad wreck. It was a large dresser with two people on it. One was sitting up the other laying in the ditch not moving. It looked like a woman. I asked a guy if they would be alright he said he didn't know and they had already called 911.                                                                                                       Oldfeller I am going to try and follow your instructions, but I am dumber than a day old river rock when it comes to a computer. Thank you.

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #140 - 09/07/15 at 20:33:02

Glad to see you all had a good time. Happy labor day.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #141 - 09/07/15 at 22:36:37

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 09/07/15 at 14:56:28:
I have also begun cogitation on a Kawasaki Vulcan S, a 650cc vertical twin that is low enough even for me and weights about what a stock Savage weighs.

Will begin looking for a crashed unit or a bank loan take back.   Or a wifey bike that isn't liked as much in the winter as it was in the spring.

boy that's pretty.   Cool

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #142 - 09/08/15 at 04:14:06

I only took a couple of pictures this trip....having too much fun riding to worry about photos!

Here is MMRanch with his riding casualties.  He wore out a pair of front brake pads (I never thought he used his brakes)?  He also wore out his fancy blue bulb.  Both replacement parts were bought from local bike repair shops along the highway near Robinsville.

On Friday night MMRanch and I, and a fellow named Adam we met at the campground rode to Wayah Road and stopped at the falls.  There must have been  a hard rain earlier that day as the normally peaceful stream was almost overflowing the banks with brownish black water.  I have been on this road several times before - but I have never seen the stream like this:

The Honda ST1100 turned out to be a great pack mule and traveling bike.  It was just a bit too long and heavy to be quick on the Dragon, and when pushed in the tight turns it was really chewing the rubber off the tires.  The bike is really smooth and comfortable on the highway, and is much better suited to the the long sweeping turns on the Skyway!  I just looked it up and the bike weighs a bit less than I had thought.....it is a bit more than 700 pounds ready to ride, has around 100 HP, and holds 7.4 gallons of gas!  I usually go 300 miles before I start thinking I need to fuel up....it can go about 370 miles before you start walking.  

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #143 - 09/08/15 at 05:25:48

Speaking of wrecks, we were sitting at the Dragon Lodge and a pair of girls left the lodge on Harleys and one was struggling to get the bike going on that steep little hill and wound up on her side in the ditch opposite the Lodge.   Her friend could not figure out how to turn her bike around to come back and she dropped it over at the first curve "get off point" that they put in there for the wheelie guys to crash on.

And then we saw girl #1 later on sideways down an embankment where she undershot a curve.   We got to wait while the wrecker fished the bike out and up on the flatbed.

This was symptomatic of a brand new thing at Robbinsville which you see at the Hub and at the bike places all over Robbinsville --- RENT A BIKE ---  for a couple of hundred dollars (and required special insurance on you and the bike) you too can go ride the Dragon.   Right now no less.

This is a bad idea in my eyes, as nobody rides somebody elses bike well enough to go on the Dragon.   Plus, there is apparently no skills test before renting the bike.  

However, I did check out the mass of rentabikes out for a Vulcan S ......

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #144 - 09/08/15 at 05:38:19

verslagen1 wrote on 09/07/15 at 22:36:37:
Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 09/07/15 at 14:56:28:

boy that's pretty.   Cool

A scrubbed up crash bike gives you license to take all the plastic crap off of the sides of it.   I would like to see the engine more and although I know the reason for the radiator placement (avoid rocks from the front wheel) I think I like an SV650 style thin vertical radiator better.

Mebbe Suzuki will get the bug from the large Vulcan S sales and do something similar with their SV650 --- having owned one of those that is a very nice 74 hp engine !!!!    

This one isn't the one I am afraid, has been underpowered by Kawasaki intentionally for the cruiser crowd (and European graduated licensing) and it has no hop up parts available for it (and not all that many for the Ninja 650 either).    Shame, I had my hopes up for a bit.

« Last Edit: 09/08/15 at 07:14:07 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #145 - 09/08/15 at 06:14:41

I saw one V-Twin (not Harley) on the Dragon on Friday that had drifted over the centerline and hit the fender of a trailer behind a truck.  It looked like the truck tried to get over and give the rider some extra room - it looked like the impact occurred when the rider was about 5 feet on the wrong side of the yellow line.

I believe I saw that crash Don was talking about when I left yesterday morning.  A large V-Twin (not Harley) was laying on the left side in the ditch, with one rider partially trapped underneath it and laying against the bank.  There were a number of folks attending to them - the ambulance and Sheriff came past me about 5 minutes later when I was down on the flat spot by the lake.

Then when I stopped for gas around Jellico, TN a Harley with Michigan plates pulled out of the gas station and attempted to cross the 2 driving lanes to get to the left turn lane....and a car hit his left saddlebag and crash bar - but did not hit him.  He seemed to be a decent rider......he just didn't look far enough up the road before pulling out into traffic.  The crash bar was pushed forward about 5 inches and most likely saved the fellow from getting a broken leg.

The Dragon can be ridden safely if you are a competent rider, show it respect, and don't attempt to go too fast your first few times through.  The sharp curves can be deceptive as they aren't always the same all the way through - some can start out gentle and get really tight (and sometimes that is hidden by the hills and trees).  I believe you should ride it just quick enough to be fun - but slower than your maximum ability....as you might need to avoid the SUV or bike that may be drifting over into your lane!  

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #146 - 09/08/15 at 07:13:04

As Dave knows, I prefer the east side of the Forest for basing and riding, mainly because the Dragon Circus has gotten sooooo severe it gives me a literal headache.

Having Hurleys cross over the line into your lane is so common now I don't even comment on it, it is all part of the package.

Having them litter the roadsides IS NOT NORMAL, you do realize between the two of us we just recounted 5 Hurley wrecks and that was just what WE saw.

MM's nephew was conversing with an off duty EMS driver and they say they pull hundreds of people off the NC side each fall season -- and that is only 1/4 of the length of the Dragon as most of it is in Tennessee.    Most are "leaf people" (the least skilled of the rider population).

Something else struck me sitting there sipping my endless Mountain Dew -- bikers "as a group" are all speckled to full grey headed now.    I had remarked that at Blue Ridge, but had factored it by the "calm environment" effect vs the Dragon Circus effect.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
don
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #147 - 09/08/15 at 07:22:27

Dave we saw the same wreck. I forgot to mention pinned under bike. We must have came through before you because we didn't see any emergency vehicles before we turned off on the foothills parkway.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #148 - 09/08/15 at 07:24:41

I did notice on this trip - the absence of really fast Sport Bike riders.  Perhaps they know better than to come to the Dragon on a busy holiday weekend.  I did see several sport bike groups passing by when we were out traveling around......but they didn't seem to be gathering at the Dragon to make repetitive runs.

I saw a lot of young riders over the weekend, and quite surprisingly a number of female riders.  The funny thing is that when you are on the Dragon and come up to a female rider - they won't willingly pull over and let you pass........while their male partners pull right over and wave you around!

Oldfeller - You might watch this website.  They get a lot of insurance bikes.  Sometimes the bikes run and drive fine - but have some damage that caused the insurance company to write them off.....or sometimes they are theft recoveries that the insurance company already settled with the original owners.

http://www.racersedge411.com/

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #149 - 09/08/15 at 07:28:40

Yeah, another bad case of hopeful bike lust strikes again ......

===================================

That brings up a point we discussed at Monday breakfast -- we need to MOVE this late summer trip a bit earlier to avoid Labor Day Weekend.

Everything was packed tight, including all the bathrooms everywhere.

« Last Edit: 09/09/15 at 07:05:46 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 19
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/07/24 at 12:05:26

General CategoryThe Cafe › Dragon Run #2, Late Summer 2015

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.