Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 19
Send Topic Print
Dragon Run #2, Late Summer 2015 (Read 3292 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Dragon Run #2, Late Summer 2015
11/04/14 at 04:15:58

Last year a few of us (OK....3) stayed at the Deals Gap Motorcycle Resort located at the base of the Tail of the Dragon.  There was a bike show that weekend, a Wounded Warrior Charity Group Ride, and some really nice riding.  The roads were surprisingly not very busy on this Labor Day Holiday weekend.

Labor Day is September 7th in 2015 - but the Deals Gap Resort has not yet listed this as the weekend for that event.  I expect that event to be added to their website as the planning continues.

Last year I showed up on Thursday and spent the day riding.  On Friday I rode over to Tellico Plains and met MMRanch and his brother Kent, and we has a great ride on the Cherohola Skyway, and spent the day cruising around and got back around 9PM.  The Wounded Warrior event was on Saturday and we did the group ride, then went on a ride through Happy Valley, and then went back for the end of the Bike Show.  We then continued the ride on Wayah Road road and got back around 9 that evening as well.  Sunday was break down the camp, and go home.

I expect 2015 to be similar with folks arriving mid week, and leaving on Sunday or Monday.  Mark your calendars tentatively for the September 2nd through Sept 8th for this weekend.  More planning to continue as the date approaches.

« Last Edit: 12/31/14 at 11:42:24 by Dave »  

IMG_1386.JPG

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Dragon Run #2, Late Summer 2015
Reply #1 - 12/31/14 at 10:17:50

Happy New Year everyone!  Stay Safe!

Looking forward to some fun at the Dragon in the summer of 2015!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 01/22/15 at 06:34:53

The Deals Gap resort does not yet have the Wounded Warrior event on their website - but they have indicated it is penciled in for August 30th.  Unlike last year where it was on the Labor Day weekend.....this year it is a week earlier.  Last year it was a Saturday event....this year it might be on Sunday if the 30th date they quoted is correct.

So the tentative dates would most likely be:

Wed August 26th - set up camp that night.
Thu August 27th - Riding begins
Fri August 28th - Riding continues
Sat August 29th - More riding
Sun August 30th - Wounded Warrior Show and Ride...Pack up & head home?

As they lock in the Wounded Warrior details.....we can adjust the Saturday and Sunday rides.  Still in the planning stages.  Last year it was a camping event....a cabin or two could be arranged if folks are interested.

IP Logged
Sunnie
YaBB Newbies

Give me the coffee
and no one gets
hurt.

Great Falls, MT
Reply #3 - 01/23/15 at 07:10:59

I'll be in Kentucky by then. Hopefully I'll be settled enough to ride along with! Would love to go on that ride... So a tentative yes.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 03/19/15 at 11:19:18

Well I just got word the Wounded  Warrior Ride will be held on September 5th in 2015.  Deals Gap Resort does not have it on their website yet.

So.....we will need to move the tentative dates a week to attend the group ride and other events.

Wed Sept 2nd - set up camp that night.
Thu Sept 3rd - Riding begins
Fri Sept 4th - Riding continues
Sat Sept 5th - More riding
Sun Sept 6th - Pack up & head home?

Last year this was a camping event....so that we could just all bail out at no expense if the weather was foul.  Cabins require deposits at Deals Gap...and you don't get your money back if it rains.

http://www.thedragonrun2015.blogspot.com/

« Last Edit: 04/16/15 at 10:38:55 by Dave »  

IP Logged
Doody814

Murfreesboro, TN
Reply #5 - 04/16/15 at 10:30:17

Sept. 12th is the Lynchburg bike show/rally, near MMRanch's house.  Dave, I believe you have a title to defend...just sayin'.

I'm going to try to make the trip down & hang out for the day...it'd be nice to see you guys again!

Sometimes when you've looked at everything, the problem ends up being the loose nut on the seat!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 04/16/15 at 10:41:45

Doody814 wrote on 04/16/15 at 10:30:17:
Sept. 12th is the Lynchburg bike show/rally, near MMRanch's house.  Dave, I believe you have a title to defend...just sayin'.
!

Yep....that was a bit weird. Huh

Since there was not any class for 'Cafe" bikes...I had to enter the "Cruiser" class (it started out as a Cruiser).

You could have sold your bike 4 or 5 times that day....better take the title down with you this year just in case. Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #7 - 05/07/15 at 14:26:50

so now we have two events we'd like to hit, too far apart to actually be feasible Sad

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 05/07/15 at 18:40:06

They are both about 5 hours from my house.....and 5 hours apart from each other as well.  MMRanch lives right at Lynchburg....and the Tail of the Dragon is a 5 hour trip for him.

In the other DR@1 thread you stated you may want to come to the DR@2, and this one is actually staged at the Deals Gap Resort...south end of the Dragon.  There is plenty of good riding in this area....and the cool part is that most of the days you can begin the days ride with 11 miles of Dragon to get warmed up!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #9 - 05/07/15 at 18:58:03

Doody wrote:

Well its really Sept 11 th. this year  ,

This year I'm an officer in the club that conducted the contest , so I don't think I can enter.   Tongue      But Ya'll can (I'll just excuse myself from the Judging  Roll Eyes)

0621141519-00.jpg

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 06/16/15 at 09:33:57

There seems to be a change in the venue/event for this year at the Deals Gap resort.....Wounded Warrior event.

The Deals Gap Resort doesn't list the event on their website:

http://www.dealsgap.com/dgmr_events.htm

The Blog page for "The Dragon Run 2015" doesn't show any affiliation with the 'Wounded Warrior" project - but instead claims the money goes to the "Military Veterans Foundation".  They also claim that the ride is starting at the Deals Gap Resort and is a sponsor - but the Official Resort is listed to be the Fontana Village.  At this point the schedule does not have a bike show like they did last year - they do have some vendors showing up and a band playing on Saturday night.

http://www.thedragonrun2015.blogspot.com/

So.....we need to discuss if this is an event worth supporting, and if this is the weekend we should go.  September 7th is Labor Day - so it may be a way to get an extra day off work to go riding....and/or it may make it a conflict with your family plans or make the trip more crowded.  Last year I was surprised how little traffic there was in the area.....most tourists seemed to be somewhere else.

So.....voice your thoughts so we can get the planning going!  Ten weeks will pass by quickly (I hope)! Wink

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #11 - 06/16/15 at 14:40:16

New learnings from the recent Mountain Run

Federal Park Service is underfunded lately and is using tickets to increase revenue.   Since they arbitrarily shift the roads speed limit up and down from 10 to 20 to 30 to 40 mph and they don't use standard signs it is easy to think you are dealing with a warning sign instead of a SPEED LIMIT sign.   They also use a default speed limit in the parks of 45 mph instead of the North Carolina 55 mph default.

The very slick internet based system they have to take your money after the fact seems to indicate their real intent -- raise some revenue.

New Learning -- stay out of the park system properties on motorcycle runs.   Literally all of us were candidates to get a ticket -- some just more so than others.

So, Tennessee has a default 45 mph and likes to give tickets to raise revenue in the areas surrounding the Dragon.   Park Rangers are rigged up now like Highway Patrol unmarked cars and are trolling to give tickets as well.

Answer -- stay out of Tennessee and the Federal Park properties.

Bummer is that this includes the various Blue Ridge Parkway runs as they too are considered Federal Park property.

North Carolina rural roads have a 55 default speed limit and the curve signs are considered "advisory" instead of enforceable like they are in the Federal Park System.   S0, stay on normal NC rural roads for your cutting up, in other words.

Sad

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #12 - 06/16/15 at 16:00:44

More than likely it was because there were lots of "tourists" and slow movers....

was a drag that we were driving 30 in a 50 most of our trip along the parkway.

But all in all it was nice scenery, even though I would have liked to see them turns a bit faster and a blur of green out of my peripheral vision. Smiley

In September i'm still thinking of bringing the ninja 300 and maybe push the limit and risk getting a ticket, or two...

Plus, i'm planning a new paint scheme for it..... and um, you guys might not want to be seen with me... LOL Roll Eyes

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 06/18/15 at 05:18:44

Well there certainly are good and bad points about passing through State or Federal Park areas.  The scenery is good, the roads are generally pretty nice, and there are nice places to stop and rest when we need to - but on nice weather weekend the traffic can be pretty thick and folks aren't usually in much of a hurry.  I understand the need for speed limits in the park areas.....the roads are set up for folks to enjoy the park.....not so traffic can hustle on through in a hurry.

We did experience a few frustrating traffic conditions on the DR#1 this year....the ride through the Highlands got us behind a few really slow cars....including a white van that drove 20 mph under the speed limit for a long while before finally pulling over and letting a long line of cars go by.  And the ride from Townsend back to the Blue Ridge Parkway did take us through the State Park and a lot of really slow traffic.....and when you got out in the open unfortunately the Park Rangers were there to witness it.

We do run the risk of getting tickets whenever we choose to ride over the speed limits.....and when you are the fellow (Oldfeller) out in front you are likely to be the one that gets noticed and receive the enforcement attention.  Hiding back in the middle of the pack does offer a bit more protection!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #14 - 06/18/15 at 06:08:24

Tossing up new options, since the second trip is sorta up in the air right now .....

Robbinsville is very close by the Dragon and it has cabins and tenting.    It is where we used to go to eat dinner when we got tired of Dragonburgers .....

http://thesimplelifecampground.com

As you look at these things realize that Blue Ridge or the Dragon Lodge charges you $15 a night to tent, so these guys can get you a roof and a bed for a few bucks less a night if you split a "right sized" cabin.   Right sized means you know how many are coming and pick the cabin accordingly.

BIGDAWG           https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx3SGDr0lQY      That's $15 a night per person instead of $22 a night at Blue Ridge Campground

FISHINGHOLE    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hqkgpg4WNws      That's $11 a night per person instead of $22 a night at Blue Ridge Campground

ROOSTERPEN    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TQmoZzIcPE

I think the Fishing Hole holds 6 people at the best price, but it has no bathroom and no frills.

Then there is the luxurious BigDawg holding 7 plus enough space on the deck for a pop up 2 man tent.    Since we don't cook, we really don't need the kitchen, though the full bathroom and shower is neat and would be very appreciated.   The private deck is nice too.

What I find interesting is that the Bigdawg can be rented by four people and it will cost the same as a cabin split 2 ways at Blue Ridge campground.   This means you can underfill the Bigdawg and still have the same price that you are used to paying.   This gives you flexibility, lower cost and a shower and a bathroom.

Next, tenting at Simplelife is $14 a night for TWO PEOPLE with additional people being only $7 each.   You pay $22 for two at Blue Ridge.

Lastly, you are staying in the heart of the NC mountain motorcycling world, where the cops aren't chasing you as you come and go all the time.

Dragon Lodge is more expensive and somewhat more dangerous as them Tennessee troopers will flat spoil your week if you aren't careful.

If you are going to Cherohala and the Dragon repeatedly, Blue Ridge is simply too far away.   This place is worth checking out in any case for future trips at a lower cost, less distance basis.    The campground is about 3 years old now and is still growing and developing.

Cheesy

Trip Advisor likes it a lot ....    http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g49483-d2708061-Reviews-Simple_Life_C...

See what the real bikers had to say about the place just this current season.   Or else maybe TripAdvisor just got gamed by a flood of "intentional staged" comments -- who knows?   Until one of us goes by or stays there, no real knowledge will be had.

This video was from a while ago, certainly before some of the cabins were put into place.   I think the road may have been improved since then as well --- still, it gives you a perspective of  The Vertical Campground Experience ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcMCxb8JrOw     ..... it is a YouTube, click on it then turn your volume WAY up if you want to hear the comments.

« Last Edit: 06/19/15 at 13:03:22 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 19
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/07/24 at 13:47:09

General CategoryThe Cafe › Dragon Run #2, Late Summer 2015

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.