Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 19
Send Topic Print
Dragon Run #2, Late Summer 2015 (Read 3292 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Dragon Run #2, Late Summer 2015
Reply #180 - 09/15/15 at 10:12:16

verslagen1 wrote on 09/15/15 at 08:38:06:
You can come to Texas with us in April.
Although I don't know whats going to happen this year with the El Niño brewing.

I really did feel a strong pull toward Texas.....unfortunately that is just too far away for me to get away that long.  I will turn 60 just before Christmas, and I suppose retirement is 4-6 years away for me.....so someday in the foreseeable future I will be able to have fun in the summers!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #181 - 09/15/15 at 11:57:25

I suspect when Dave and I are full retired MM will be trying to talk us into all sorts of long distance trips (carefully plotted from one interesting spot to another great road).

The issue with Texas for me is that the roads and scenery might be nice, but better can be had much closer by.

As a working stiff, I tend to get partial week holidays for these bike excursions as the bulk of my vacation must still be spend on extended family related items.   Once I am retired, I will have more time to burn.

Nice things about these bike trips is the low cost compared to other forms of vacation.  

Seriously, we are hard pressed to spend over $200 on a 3 day trip if we plan them well.

The enjoyment value for the dollar spent is simply incredible -- best trips I have ever done.

« Last Edit: 09/15/15 at 13:27:46 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #182 - 09/15/15 at 15:46:35

Hey Dave and Oldfeller. I understand your issues with the Texas ride. It is too bad though because I have to admit that Texas ride overall was more fun to me than the Dragon ride. Please do not get me wrong, the Dragon ride was amazing and the scenery all over was very nice. I think the reason I liked the Texas ride better is that we had a different ride every day, ate at different places all the time (well I think we hit Whataburger twice) and I think overall did more riding.

The Texas riding is a bit more relaxed, it does not require as high a skill level as the Dragon. And if you look at  it this way, those that want to practice before taking on the Dragon should come and ride the 3 Twisted Sisters first.

Guys, I really enjoyed riding the Dragon with you and if we have to wait 6 years for you to join us at the Sisters, then so be it. I look forward to the pleasure of you company then.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #183 - 09/15/15 at 16:24:05

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 09/15/15 at 05:56:45:
Speaking of the next trip,  if Diana comes next time on her own bike I propose we stay at Blue Ridge as the accommodations are nicer and the roads are not so treacherous as the ones on the Dragon side of things.

If she isn't coming and folks who are coming want Dragon side, then lets get at least 4 to commit early on and take the BIG DOG at SimpleLife.   Price for 4 would be same as cabins at Blue Ridge and we could absorb up to 4 additional people with no sweat.

I want to cook some meat on that BIG DOG grill out on the BIG DOG deck and make that little holler fill on up with the savory smoke.

She is planning to come on "one of those rides", and we are not sure if she will be able to do the spring one as she isn't allowed only so many days away from work at a time. She lucked out this time because they were training a new manager so the work load was eased a bit.

Her skills are very limited, novice even. If we come up, she will only ride slow curvy roads and maybe a few medium cutbacks. If we were to come to the dragon, it would have to be in the middle of a week, when riders are few and far between, as she would be going about 15-20 miles top speed and 2-5mph in the corners. In her words " I won't be doing the dragon on purpose, or any road like it, but if we have to go on a curvy one, I will ride at MY speed, ya'll will just have to wait". LOL Smiley

The other thing.... she cannot plan too far ahead, so... she actually might have to let me driver her if the group plans on curvy stuff, leaving my bike at the camp, and as you all seen, I did not drive normally this last time.

When it gets closer to date, we will plan a little more in detail.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #184 - 09/15/15 at 21:29:35

Roll Eyes

Somebody with a Farmers Almanac propose us a late spring time period with little to no rain (we tried the scientific approach with the National Weather Bureau data sheets for Waynesville and Cruso but we got rained on two years in a row)

I'll be in line for the almanac soon as they are available  Wink.

might help us in April too !  Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #185 - 09/22/15 at 08:48:07

While we are still just popping off, let's consider size of group vs location.    Plus we need to consider the Twisted Sister run as well, since it and the early summer Dragon run get awful close together.

We can count on 3 showing up for the early Dragon Run, more than that is always a last minute sort of thing.

Next, trailer and truck hauling.   A full size truck can hold 3 adults in the front seat and it can hold two bikes and pull a trailer with up to two bikes on the trailer.   It is not like Mike and I don't own trailers .....

Mike owns a lot of vehicles (yep, a lot of them)  and we could propose a method to go to Twisted Sister and just drop the early Dragon Run completely this year.

What thoughts ya got on this idea?    Except for the 25 hours both ways crammed on a truck seat, it sounds fairly good to me.  

How many days is Twisted Sister?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #186 - 09/22/15 at 09:04:26

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 09/22/15 at 08:48:07:

arrived on Friday, left on Tuesday.  I wouldn't have any problem staying longer.  Timing was good, I didn't have to go thru any city during rush hour.

WWW   IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #187 - 09/22/15 at 11:11:21

verslagen1 wrote on 09/22/15 at 09:04:26:
Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 09/22/15 at 08:48:07:

arrived on Friday, left on Tuesday.  I wouldn't have any problem staying longer.  Timing was good, I didn't have to go thru any city during rush hour.

It's like asking how many days is the Tail of the Dragon.  If all you go an do is the "feature" ride, it's nothing but a few hours.

I drug those guys around for 3 days.. and had to modify my routes as we ran out of time for one reason or another on a given day.  I can give 'em at least another couple days and never touch a road they have seen already.. and stay on pavement.

From looking at terrain maps, you can ride a lot more fun roads a lot more closer together up in the NC/TN Smokey Mountain area.
So.. don't be expecting what ain't here.

Ya'll that have done both can speak better to what makes coming to my stomping grounds worth the trip.  Springman has made a few observations on the differences.. maybe someone else can add a few more.

Not saying I don't want ya to come here and ride with me.  I would like it .. a LOT!!   Cheesy   Had a blast last time, and sure to have one again!

Just don't like people being disappointed...

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #188 - 09/22/15 at 19:09:14

I am never disappointed.... as long as we ride! LOL Smiley

I don't think we have ever had a "bad" ride.. some of break off now and again to see different things, or to get "lost", but never a bad time.

I enjoy just riding with folks and watching the scenery, Texas was a great ride. New folks, new roads, new scenery... and new places to visit.

Same with the dragon runs/ blue ridge, you might see some same things, but we plan on just trying different roads... or someone will mention something they seen on the way up to he site, or some restaurant (most likely) and off we go! Smiley

Like texas, there are a few places i will not mind seeing again (breakfast burritos and hamburgers a mile high), and hopefully next year i'll be back to see some new roads, and hopefully a couple of new folks.

My wife really wants to try to ride a few twisties in NC or TN, so blueridge or simple life will be fine. Seein' as she hasn't seen blueridge, i will try to talk her into at least a four day from work.

I know for sure she ain't gonna be able to do the bunny run in texas... as she don't do "long hauls".

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #189 - 09/22/15 at 19:44:27

And someday maybe we can do the Arkansas Pig Trail or the San Juan Mountain Skyway in Colorado. Heck, I hear there is some pretty nice riding in California also.

Guys, I will be 58 before the end of this year and if God gives me years and good health I hope to do all of the above and them some while still able.

What the heck, food for thought. Wink

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #190 - 09/23/15 at 03:59:58

Old-Rider and Wife are pointing towards Blue Ridge for an early summer ride.

Everyone else seems flexible at this point.

No nibbles so far on a foray to the Twisted Sister ride.

No Farmers Almanac yet for a dry ride week.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #191 - 09/23/15 at 21:50:44

Hay Springman , I never heard of these ; (Arkansas Pig Trail or the San Juan Mountain Skyway in Colorado)   Huh

But like you said  " we won't stay young and able for ever " ...  Roll Eyes

So while I' able , I say let's do all we can .   I'm retired now  so plan one of them around your time off and fill me in on when !  Wink

I hope to do the spring ride to Texas and The Dragon ,

I'd like to ride the Blue Ridge North till it ends but would feel a lot better about camping  in a group , for Fun and security .  Wink

I've got a Ford Ranger that has the little rear seats , and a 6.5' bed (plus tail gate).   One time in a pinch we had 3 adults and two 12 year old's in it for a 200 mile ride (it was kinda tight !) Grin    That said : I have a very comfortable bike that is good for 500 miles a day (10 hour day) -- would be EASY with 400 mile days.  Cool

I'll be looking for an Almanac to check for "DRY SPELLS" soon as they pop-up at the check-out counters !  Wink

I need to measure my Astro Van to see if a couple bikes would fit inside it .  there are three rolls of seats and it gets 20 plus MPG if treated right.  It also has a receiver hitch and Chevy's 4.3 L engine.   I'm sure windshields and mirrors would have to come off.

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #192 - 09/24/15 at 06:37:15

MM has bitten on the Twisted Sister ride and proposed his Ford Ranger or his Astro Van as the carry vehicle.  Three adults in the front seat, two bikes on a trailer and one in the bed (or vice versa).

I'm in, propose a set of dates for the trip and we'll start discussing details.    Splitting the gas cost 3 ways and the driving makes the 20 hour ride each way more doable.

We still need a third to fill out the company though.    Would Dave's Savage go inside the Astro van?   Short clip on bars, no windshield, no bulk to it really.    MM's and mine could fit on the trailer easily "as is".

Mike mentions his Astro Van, which is a cushy enough ride (I've been in it).   I could modify my trailer with a second bike rail and it could easily haul two bikes if one was loaded offset or backwards so as the handle bars didn't hit each other.    

If you extended the middle rail forward some you could potentially put three Savages on the trailer, with some careful positioning of the handlebars.    This could be done by building the center rail out of 2x6 and 1x6 material such that the item would be stronger than the offset load.    Sorry, rated gross weight capacity of the trailer would be exceeded by 3 Savages, sorry.   Two Savages is pushing it a bit, but still legal.

I may do this anyway for two bikes as once I have built it that means at least 2 bikes can now be hauled by my Cube, which gets good enough gas mileage and that opens up a lot of potential longer distance retirement trips.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #193 - 09/24/15 at 08:32:22

MM and Oldfeller. That all sounds real good. I am looking forward to getting together with as many as possible at the Sisters. I think youzguyz likes the idea also.

As regards all the rides you and I mention MM you can count on me for at least one and possibly 2 per year if finances allow. If I get a chance to retire any time before hitting 70 and we are both still in good health then I'll probably be able to do even more rides.

MM when you say you can easily do 400 miles per day are you talking about the Savage or another bike?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #194 - 09/24/15 at 09:06:24

When we are in the mountains we ride all day long.   Distances are funny as many of the roads have many many many < 25mph corners and turns in them, so we don't reel off a whole lot of linear miles (if it was planned well, that is).

Same riding hours would go 400 miles if the roads were "normal'.

I can remember rides with MM, Lancer and I that we just flat beat the snot out ourselves (and several of them little cute forest critters, too).   We may have done 400 miles on those days.

Heck, Hwy 32 can beat the snot out of you, all by itself -- and that isn't 40 miles long.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 19
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 01:54:56

General CategoryThe Cafe › Dragon Run #2, Late Summer 2015

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.