Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 19
Send Topic Print
Dragon Run #2, Late Summer 2015 (Read 3292 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Dragon Run #2, Late Summer 2015
Reply #150 - 09/08/15 at 07:37:26

Wooden treehouse deck overlook -- this is why we come (apart from the great roads).

Dave, being all quiet and contemplative before cracking a killer joke .....

This is MM and Jeb talking to each other in fluent Vanattia, which is a Lynchburg local dialect that involves much repetition, finger pointing and some hand gesturing.

Smiley.     ...... Hey, you listen up good now and don't you be go doing anything that old fool wid the camera tells you to go do .....  he'll getcha kilt and he'll think it's funny.  
And I'll be the one stuck trying to explain it to your mother.

...................  and this last one tells why both MM and Jeb had to go buy new brake pads, we DO tend to over-use our front brakes on these mountain trips.  

Hint .... when your front rotor is a deep purple (full draw temperature) do NOT touch your finger to it to see if it is hot.    
Second degree to third degree burns will result instantly .....   and you will leave your fingerprint actually stuck to the rotor (really, it's gone now).

« Last Edit: 09/09/15 at 02:15:05 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #151 - 09/08/15 at 09:15:27

Home again !  Smiley

Great ride ,  Cool  ,  

Jed drove all the way home and didn't start getting Dangerous with his driving habits again till we were in his home town .   We needed to stop for fuel as we came up on his town so I motioned for him to pass knowing he would take me to his favorite gas station.  Well he not only passed me . but the car in front of me (exit ramp 1/4 mile ahead) ?? Undecided??  , so I passed the car also .   So --- I almost couldn't hardly believe what he did next --- He passed another car with just enough time   to cut into the right lane (I-24) and the exit ramp all in one motion ...  Lips Sealed   ...   I tore his ears off for it when I caught him , but I wonder if he heard a word I said ?  Embarrassed    Watching  that last act of stupid I couldn't help but wonder if he will live long enough to take another trip with us , when I suggested he drive his bike more like he drives his car he said "That is how I drive my car" , his younger brother later confirmed , "That is how he drives his car"   ---  maybe he won't have his driving license very long.  Tongue might save his life if he was walking for a while.  Roll Eyes

Thinking of "Wrecks" , that guy from the Louisiana/NY (Adam) was following Dave on the Dragon with me behind him and was doing OK kinda so Dave went on with his normal pace and disappeared around the next corner.   I watched him for a couple more turns and though he was doing just fine , so I went on around him and was keeping him in my mirror hopping he would would pick up on my lines .   It was frustrating to hold-back that much but things were going along just fine till I need to pay attention and set up the next "inside-the-cove-horseshoe-left-hand bend 160deg curve with a right-hand 120deg right behind it.   For the folks with a map it was ("SHAW GRAVE GAP AND MUD CORNER) mile 6.4 and 6.5  .   I got up to GUARD RAIL CLIFF (Mile 7) the road quit twisting so much and I noticed Adam wasn't in the mirror no more  Huh .   So , ---- , I went back to see .  Sure enough a couple of sport-bike guys were helping him up out of the ditch at SHAW GRAVES GAP.  I stopped too and he had one little red spot on his left knee.   It took him a long time to get the 1.5 miles up to the overlook after that , and his bike was fine.  Only the footrest gouge in the dirt and the red spot on the knee remained .   That SV650 he was ridding was almost to tall to be an effect cornering tool the was I see it,  but I couldn't help but wonder "what if it was lowered just a little ??" Huh

In my own defense :   My 05 S-40 had 22,600+- miles on it when I replaced the front pads and I use the front brake for 99% of my stopping needs (with the idea that the front tire will dry-rot instead of wear out if the rear tire does the pushing and the stopping)  Wink.   But   I should have checked it be for I left the house for a fun ride.  Tongue

I got the chance to ride Dave's ST1100 on a gravel-dirt-washboard-hill climb type road going up the back-side of the Indian Boundary area on top of the SkyWay this pass weekend.  It was interesting to say the least ---  Smiley , it was also a better behaved bike than the physics of it would lead one to believe.   The shocks kept the tires on the ground most of the time and the motor has such smooth low end pull that I could leave the clutch alone when not shifting and the low gear is low enough to do a slow walk with no problem.

These adventure rides are so much fun sometimes I wonder if I should be on a adventure bike --- wait I got one even better I got A SAVAGE !  Smiley  I think I will put the original front pully back on it,   cruising at 75mph is fast enough.  Cool

0906151631-00.jpg

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #152 - 09/08/15 at 09:22:23

I guess Jeb found his keys, huh?

That's the most you have ever posted at one time, ever --- you know that, don't you?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #153 - 09/08/15 at 09:27:12

Yeah, the "just us old chickens" rides are the best ones.    

We all know what the other guy is going to do before he does it.  

Jeb was an exception to that rule --- nobody (including Jeb) knew what he was going to do next.

He kept me amused and belly laughing a LOT though .....   it was good for my soul to see a youngster enjoy himself so.

Adam was a classic case of the timid new guy on a new to him bike goes to the Dragon and scares himself some.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #154 - 09/08/15 at 10:10:59

Jed , called one of his buddies while we were  having lunch.  He wants to take them all on a ride to repeat the ride we took him on .   Wink

There is a "next generation " out there !   Cool

I wish they didn't have to do "DUMB" stuff see who survives .   But  ,  He got home all in one piece and his bike still runs .. so ?

My nephew Jed is on the left.  The fellow on the right is Adam who was staying at our campground and went on an evening ride with us.

0905151856-02.jpg

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #155 - 09/08/15 at 10:58:27

MMRanch wrote on 09/08/15 at 10:10:59:
Jed , called one of his buddies while we were  having lunch.  He wants to take them all on a ride to repeat the ride we took him on .   Wink

Be sure to let us know when they are headed that direction.......so that we can all go somewhere else! Shocked

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #156 - 09/08/15 at 11:17:21

Hee hee ....

..... They are probably saying the same thing about us.

Wink

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #157 - 09/08/15 at 11:58:36

MMRanch wrote on 09/08/15 at 10:10:59:

Or.......maybe we should head that way with our lawn chairs and a cooler, and just set around and watch the show! Huh

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #158 - 09/08/15 at 13:03:51

Don't laugh, Dave is actually telling you about something we saw people doing on the nasty tight turns .... just sitting there in lawn chairs with a cooler, drinking beer and watching people crash.

Nobody even mentioned the woman riding a Harley that hit a guardrail and went over the edge and down to a creek bed and broke both of her legs on big rocks that were down there. This was right at the turn off to go to SimpleLife campground.

I am at work, sitting in a hot car wishing so much that I was still up in the mountains.

« Last Edit: 09/08/15 at 17:58:23 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #159 - 09/08/15 at 13:32:04

Hey Oldfeller...in your post #150 none of the photographs open for me.  

Am I the only one that can't view them?

redx1_002.jpg

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #160 - 09/08/15 at 14:30:51

I see'm and I behind a funky firewall and industrial antivirus.

Dave wrote on 09/08/15 at 13:32:04:
Hey Oldfeller...in your post #150 none of the photographs open for me.  

Am I the only one that can't view them?

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #161 - 09/08/15 at 14:35:31

Must be something here at work.  I just tried looking on my phone and it showed the same thing.....but it uses the office server for internet connection when I am sitting in the office.

I will look again when I get home.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #162 - 09/08/15 at 14:49:33

Might be something to do with your browser.   If your browser's buffer has the old picture locations in it they won't show the new pictures if the pictures have been updated and I did update those to shrink them some.

You might try clearing your browser buffer.

Actually, you might try using Chrome browser.

Older versions of Firefox need not apply either -- they give a big minus sign.

Ditto for Microsoft Explorer, it will no longer display pictures for me willingly because I am on a special "Microsoft hater" list and all my pictures are intercepted by Microsoft Explorer which then substitutes some X's and other less friendly symbols for my pictures.

Smiley  ...... or you may be using older Apple products.  
Old Apple devices can't recognize the picture format at all.  Maybe next year's models will be able to do it.

« Last Edit: 09/08/15 at 16:20:25 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #163 - 09/09/15 at 03:37:57

I tried my home computer using Chrome and could not open them, so I then switched over to the old Outlook we still have on the computer....still nothing.  I will run by the library and see if the photos will open.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #164 - 09/09/15 at 05:59:17

If Dave is suffering from Modern-ality then many on the list will be suffering from old stuff syndrome too.  

I will forgo using the automatic Googlishiousness that is built right into my phone's camera system (that only works with other modern stuff, apparently) and do it the old fashioned way from now on.

========================================

Wooden treehouse deck overlook -- this is why we come (apart from the great roads).

Dave, being all quiet and contemplative before cracking a killer joke .....

This is MM and Jeb talking to each other in fluent Vanattia, which is a Lynchburg local dialect that involves much repetition, finger pointing and some hand gesturing.

Smiley.     ...... Hey, you listen up real good now and don't you be go doing anything that old fool wid the camera tells you to go do .....  he'll getcha kilt and he'll laugh and think it's funny.  
And I'll be the one that gets stuck trying to explain it to your momma how you got dead doing something really really stupid.

...................  and this last one tells why both MM and Jeb had to go buy new brake pads while we were out on the trip as we DO tend to over-use our front brakes on these steep downhill mountain roads.  

Hint .... when your front rotor is a deep purple (full draw temperature) do NOT touch your finger to it to see if it is hot.    
Second degree to third degree burns will result instantly .....   and you will leave your fingerprint actually stuck to the rotor (really, tssst -- it's gone now).

« Last Edit: 09/10/15 at 04:51:43 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 19
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 22:06:19

General CategoryThe Cafe › Dragon Run #2, Late Summer 2015

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.