Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
bogging after valve adjustment (Read 362 times)
HighME32

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: bogging after valve adjustment
Reply #30 - 10/26/14 at 11:17:49

Thanks Ed and Justin. So, from what it sounds like my valves are ok, right? I was thinking about doing the petcock switch, but I dont think I can find one today, since the dealerships are closed. Where can I get the allen wrench bolts for the float bowl? Should I get alumminum? I will try to just do the float bowl for now and check to see if anything is gummed up inside. If it doesn't look good  will do complete overhaul.
Hey Ed, so I was thinking of doing the verslavy switch, but Verslagen said it would be a lttle easier during the holidays. I am at 8000 now and was thinking of doing it on the next oil change. I do occasionally hear a metal clunking noise, but not sure if it is my muffler hitting the clutch cover (ryca cs1 exhaust).  I ride 3 to 4 times a week to work, about 30 miles roundtrip.  Before I knew more about this bike, I used to try to take it past 75mph, but I noticed it was burning oil that way, so now I dont go faster than 70mph (4500rpm)and drive in bumper to bumper traffic in the morning-splitting lanes. When im splitting lanes I will usually keep the rpms around 3-3500k to give me enough torque to do defensive maneuvers. Do you think 10k miles should be fine to take out the chain tensioner?

IP Logged
HighME32

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #31 - 10/26/14 at 11:28:30

I forgot to add that before I did the valve adjustment, I did notice the bikes rpm dropping for a second when I  would lift to an upright position from being on the stand. Does this sound like a Petcock issue?  The bike was running right at that time though. I also do see a lot of carbon on the top of the piston head.

IP Logged
HighME32

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #32 - 10/26/14 at 11:56:46

So I just read the petcock conversion thread and it sounds like it's worth a try for me. In the past i have heard and seen a little explosion of gas out of my airfilter when I shut the bike off. I will check for gas in the vaccum line today. What's funny is I called the local salvaged motorcycle parts shop down the street asking for the raptor petcock for this switch and the guy went ape$#!+ on me. He said im a follower not a leader and he should close his doors tonpeople like me for following the advice of forums. Haha. He said I sould just replace the rubber parts of my stock petcock. Anyway, I eill try the raptor. I saw a ton on ebay for dirt cheap <$10. I think I should get OEM though cuz that just sounds too cheap.

IP Logged
HighME32

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #33 - 10/26/14 at 12:17:50

I just read another interesting thread and my gas tank has the same meowing phenomena. Its is the ryca conversion so the tank was cut in half. Is this more evidence for the petcock? http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1412869387/6#6

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #34 - 10/26/14 at 12:22:27

HighME32 wrote on 10/26/14 at 11:56:46:
Anyway, I will try the raptor. I saw a ton on ebay for dirt cheap <$10. I think I should get OEM though cuz that just sounds too cheap.

Yup, get OEM.  cause there's a version of the same petcock with 1/4" line.  It'll fit except for the line and of course you have to idle where ever you go.

You can follow him (who's motivation is to buy parts/services from him)
or you can follow us (who's only motivation is to see you enjoy yourself)

WWW   IP Logged
HighME32

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #35 - 10/26/14 at 13:19:30

If I manage to get the float bowl out, should I blue locktite the screws back on when reinstalling?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #36 - 10/26/14 at 13:51:13

HighME32 wrote on 10/26/14 at 13:19:30:
If I manage to get the float bowl out, should I blue locktite the screws back on when reinstalling?

NO!

WWW   IP Logged
HighME32

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #37 - 10/26/14 at 15:45:16

Yeah, I read the earlier message wrong someone said antsieze.

IP Logged
HighME32

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #38 - 10/26/14 at 15:48:01

So about the plug for the vaccum hose, should I use a cap I can get from an auto parts store, or cut and plug the original hole? I also have some other hoses missing from the carb that arent plugged. They were probably taken out by the mechanic that worked on the bike before I got it.

IP Logged
HighME32

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #39 - 10/26/14 at 19:02:47

What do you guys think about running an inkine fuel filter with the raptor petcock? I saw someone post it on a thread. Any recommended brands, etc?

IP Logged
HighME32

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #40 - 10/26/14 at 20:18:00

Took the bowl off and cleaned it. Aside from the tiny speck of dust by the hole of the drain everything in the carb looked spotless from the bottom. I think evrything is pointing to the petcock.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #41 - 10/26/14 at 21:03:54

If you don't have a Raptor, it's time.. If you get one for seven dollars, go buy a real one.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
HighME32

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #42 - 10/27/14 at 09:22:53

Yes I am definitely getting the OEM raptor petcock from the dealer. Also, I noticed that my cousin's mechanic took off the float bowl breather hose. Is that ok or should I put one back on?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #43 - 10/27/14 at 09:56:32

HighME32 wrote on 10/26/14 at 11:56:46:
What's funny is I called the local salvaged motorcycle parts shop down the street asking for the raptor petcock for this switch and the guy went ape$#!+ on me. He said im a follower not a leader and he should close his doors tonpeople like me for following the advice of forums. Haha. He said I sould just replace the rubber parts of my stock petcock.

Well.....the stock Suzuki petcock lists for $ 95.85, and there are no rubber parts listed on the parts diagram.  Maybe somebody makes a rebuild kit that will work - most likely it would cause the same problem again somewhere down the road.

The genuine Raptor Petcock is about $ 20.......don't pay much less, and don't let a dealer gouge you for $ 60.  You also need the Raptor 660 petcock, not one from the smaller bikes, as they hit the seam on the tank and cannot be used on the Savage.

If you don't see the white box, the part number 5LP-24500-01-00, then buy it from someone else as it is most likely a fake.  The real part has an brass tube with an expanded flare on the end - it is not a machined nipple with one or two ridges.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-YFM660R-Raptor-660-2001-2005-FUEL-PETCOCK-GAS-...

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
HighME32

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #44 - 10/27/14 at 09:56:35

On the pictures in google it is labeled bowl vent hose (2) on samd side as vaccum hose connection to carb. The othe bowl vent hose, on the side with the choke, still has a hose.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 14:21:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › bogging after valve adjustment

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.