Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bike works fine, then doesn't all of a sudden (Read 60 times)
Randy87
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bike works fine, then doesn't all of a sudden
10/09/14 at 08:43:06

hey guys, just wondering if I could get a little help here. Try to keep this short and sweet. So just recently picked up an 08 s40 and bike has been running great for the last month but ever since I ran out of gas last week it's been acting funny. I'll be riding along and all of a sudden it starts spitting and sputtering and engine dies when I'm coming off the throttle. My uncle( who's been Into motorcycles for many years and one hell of a mechanic) seems to be scratching his head also. I should also include the gas cap "meows" sometimes when sitting in the garage. A minor air leak I'm assuming, we took the cap apart, cleaned it, made sure the vent holes are open and it's still doing it not sure if that could maybe be my gremlin. Anyway we also richened the carb up about as much as you can to those stock mikuni's. Checked the petcock screen, clean and clear. Spark plug is good, def been running lean Grin but it's good. This problem started about 4 days ago when I ran out of fuel. We had done those maintenance issues and for 2 days it ran solid no problems at all. Well I get out this morning and it's back!!!  Angry any help would be appreciated. Thanks

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Re: Bike works fine, then doesn't all of a sudden
Reply #1 - 10/09/14 at 08:54:51

Start by telling folks what modifications you think your s40 has.

First thing...sounds like the petc0ck is going do this test
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429
Follow directions all the way..... cause the test will be invalid unless you do.

Hope this helps....

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Randy87
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 10/09/14 at 09:00:11

The bike is completely stock. I will try the test thank you

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 10/09/14 at 09:15:12

Ran outta gas is key here.
you checked the petcock screen, but that doesn't always catch everything.
There's a screen in the float valve assembly.
and a minor carb clean might be in order, just blow out the jets and ports with some carb cleaner.

And it could be your mewing gas cap is the problem.
it may indicate a vent restriction, although mine did it too and it's hilarious when someone stalks your bike looking for some creature.

California bike?

WWW   IP Logged
Randy87
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 10/09/14 at 14:26:37

Thanks for the input verslagen, I thought a cat was trapped inside the garage Grin

It is a Cali bike, been here all its life, northern. I don't think the 1st or 2nd owners knew a screwdriver from a wrench, so it's needed some TLC for quite sometime. I tried the petcock test and right away it runs perfect, just rode it about 2 hours and no problems so I think that's my issue here. I'm going to try and replace the petcock to a raptor manual, should do the trick I think. The carb is getting a good run through this weekend

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 10/09/14 at 17:01:58

I'd put the raptor on, ride,see how it acts.. I try really hard to Not open a window to More variables.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 10/10/14 at 06:59:14

There is likely some clogging in your carb as others have pointed out since it started when you ran low on gas.  But while you are cleaning the carb and installing the new petcock take a look at your venting system, as you suspect, it shouldn't meow like a cat.

I'm not certain but I think those California bikes vent through a tube that goes to a canister.  Another bike I have is California legal and it has a complex system of vent tubes, canisters, and purging operated by pressure relief valves.  You might have a pinched tube or clogged one way valve.  

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 04:50:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike works fine, then doesn't all of a sudden

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.