Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
bogging after valve adjustment (Read 362 times)
HighME32

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: bogging after valve adjustment
Reply #15 - 10/24/14 at 10:38:30

BTW, this bike has been running 92 for 6500 miles after my cousin bought it with only 1500 miles.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #16 - 10/24/14 at 10:43:30

Personally,.. I wouldn't recommend Seafoam for anything...
...but, especially not 1/3 pint directly...
... a few teaspoons in a full tank if it makes you feel better,... but even that's a waste... Regular gas already has cleaning additive packages when you buy it...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #17 - 10/24/14 at 11:18:27

Sea Foam might help on an engine that has been sitting and has some minor running issues.....and needs a bit of cleaning from gum and varnish.  It should not be run into the engine in the manner you are describing - that  used to be done on old engines that had sticky rings, carbon build up on the valves, etc.  You don't have that kind of stuff going on in your engine.

If the new fuel doesn't solve the issue, then check the valve adjustment, and drop the float bowl off the carb.  Looking at the float bowl insides can sometimes be pretty revealing.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
HighME32

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 10/24/14 at 11:34:11

Good idea Dave. So before I take everything apart, I will drian and replace the gas. Then check the float bowl for debris. Only rhing about the gas is that Ive been using 92 for over 6K miles and never had any problems. I will probably recheck the clearances and compression while I am at it for piece of mind. I do notice a tiny bit of oil leak from the cylinder to head bolt next to the carb manifold. Looks more like gunk than fresh oil. Also, when checking the torque of the head bolts, should I take bolts out and cover threads with motor oil or just check if torque is to spec? BTW does anyone have a picture diagram of all the head bolts that need to be checked just to make sure?

IP Logged
HighME32

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 10/24/14 at 11:38:16

BTW, this bike was sitting for a year before I acquired it with 1700 miles on it. After that I let it sit for a month recently while waiting to get my kickstand fixed and rear tire in.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #20 - 10/24/14 at 11:53:33

Sounds to me like your carb may have been clogged up a bit from all that sitting....and the fuel has evaporated and gummed things up a bit.

I use 92 octane in my bike - as I have a Wiseco piston and need the octane.  You don't need the octane rating and the stock engine will run just as good on the lower octane (maybe better).  And you are most likely going to get fresher fuel if you run regular 87 octane.  Having the engine dormant with fuel in the float bowl is not a good thing.  At the end of each ride I shut the manual petcock off about a mile from my house, and the bike is out of fuel when I pull into my drive.  If you have the stock petcock you can't do this - but if you know the bike is going to be dormant for a few weeks or month you can drain the float bowl by opening the drain screw at the bottom of the float bowl.

I am not sure anyone really recommends checking the head stud nuts for proper torque......they never do loosen, and to get proper torque you need to take the nut off and clean the threads (one at a time), and apply anti-seize or oil to lubricate the threads before you torque the nuts.  You also can't torque the front right nut without removing the head cover.  Trying to torque the nuts without removing and cleaning them first will do nothing - as they will be corroded a bit and most likely the torque wrench won't even begin to budge them when set a the required torque value.

Dave

IP Logged
HighME32

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 10/25/14 at 11:47:32

Hi Dave,

I am planning to replace the gas, clean out the spark plug and air filter then check the float bowl for debris before I run a compression test. After that, I plan on rechecking my valve clearances. If the problem is still there should I take the entire carb apart and clean it? Kinda hesitant to do that since it opens up more opportunities to mess things up. Also, do I need a new gasket or O ring if I drop the float bowl? Thanks!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #22 - 10/25/14 at 17:07:10

The float bowl has a gasket.  Sometimes they don't tear...sometimes they do.

IP Logged
HighME32

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 10/25/14 at 19:53:36

Hi all,
Checked my compression today. It was at 135psi. Kinda low according to clymer. The spark plug had a good amount of carbon on it after 25 miles of test riding. Also emptied out  float bowl and saw a little dirt (black particles) inside. About to check the valve clearances. Should I clean out the entire carb or just take out the float bowl and clean it?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #24 - 10/25/14 at 20:10:20

I'd put it on the bench and clean it,all the way. Clean and dry on the slide, no fingerprints even.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
HighME32

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 10/25/14 at 20:54:43

Thanks for the suggestion Justin! You think I should get the  whole gasket kit for the carb?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #26 - 10/25/14 at 23:38:21

I never did need any.. I opened it up a few times.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
HighME32

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 10/26/14 at 00:33:10

So here is the update. Compression at 135psi. Checked the valve clearances and they are all at .004. Verified TDC by watching the exhaust valve go down, then the intake valve, then heard the air come out of the spark plug hole and perfectly lined up the marker on the timing bolt with the notch on the generator cover. I didn't feel as much play on the intake valves, but the .004 feeler gauge went through just fine. On all the valves, the .004 gauge goes through fine with a little resistance. The .005 gauge doesn't fit in any of them. I guess if all is fine with the valves, there is nothing but the gas and carburetor dimantling/cleaning left. Is my compression reading something to worry about? I also didnt clean the air filter before I did it.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #28 - 10/26/14 at 08:27:12

I just picked up on this thread and am wondering if you have changed over to a Raptor petcock yet. Your symtoms of having the engine stumble is simular to when my stock petcock started to fail.

Pulling the tank off to get at the valves could of damaged the stock petcock, they really aren't built very well and leak for no real reason except being crap to start with.

Your compression sounds fine at 135psi.

I had almost 17 mm showing on my cam chain adjuster at just over 10,000 miles. depending on your riding style your's might be due soon.

Sounds like you set the valves correctly, if they are too tight the engine just doesn't run right and gets a lot worse when warmed up.
Remember as the engine warms up the clearences close down due to metal expansion so a little loose is better than a little tight.
.004 go/.005 no go is fine for the valve lash, just don't go any tighter.

If you have a Raptor then cleaning the carb would be next. I would start with pulling the bowel and blasting out the underside with some carb cleaner. If that doesn't work then pull the carb and clean it.

Don't make the job any harder than it needs to be. Wink    

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #29 - 10/26/14 at 10:23:08

If you've never had the bowl off,those bolts can be a real drag. Getting stainless,allen head replacements is a common thing around here. A dab of antiseiize goes a long way. I use it on almost every thing that screws into aluminum. A pint bottle lasts for years..
Harbor Freight has a hand held impact, set it,smack it with a hammer.. BUT,
Be sure to support the little bit of aluminium that screw is in.. it Can snap off.

So,if you're able to get the bowl off and leave it on the bike,you CAN see the jets, and maybe you'll be able to dodge a complete tear down and cleaning.

Those heads LOOK like a #2 Phillips ,  but they aren't. If you will flatten the tip of a #2 Phillips until the driver sits on down and fills the X in the bolt head, you'll be a lot better off.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 18:07:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › bogging after valve adjustment

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.