The Chrome Wars (Read 9524 times)
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Re: The Chrome Wars
Reply #105 - 10/29/14 at 10:18:54

RCA has come out with a tablet that looks promising... even comes with a detachable keyboard...
Sold out online already, you can add memory, comes with 16gb, add the 64g card and use a 1tb SD (external)for $50 and you have a nice portable system.
No gaming though... well not graphic heavy ones... maybe candy crush...rofl.....$149.00

http://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-Pro-10-with-WiFi-10.1-Touchscreen-Tablet-PC-Fea...

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #106 - 10/30/14 at 06:52:10

http://liliputing.com/2014/10/microsoft-ends-windows-7-oem-sales-oct-31st.html

Microsoft ends Windows 7 OEM sales Oct 31st

"This Halloween could be a scary one… for folks who aren’t fans of Microsoft Windows 8 or later. That’s because Microsoft is pulling the plug on Windows 7 OEM sales on October 31st.

For the most part the October 31st cutoff for Windows 7 OEM licenses only affects consumer PCs. If you buy a business machine with a Windows Professional license you’ll still be able to get Windows 7 “downgrade” rights."

You feel Microscroogled yet ???     Huh

« Last Edit: 10/30/14 at 09:56:21 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #107 - 10/30/14 at 09:54:56

http://liliputing.com/2014/10/reports-xiaomi-third-biggest-phone-maker-even-e...

Reports: Xiaomi is third biggest phone maker, even before entering US or Europe

Xiaomi is selling Qualcomm 801 phones with 3 gigs of systems memory and 32 gigs of storage memory for HALF the price of the similar USA carrier phones.

Do you remember me saying you should remember the name Xiaomi?    I said they would grow large, and they have indeed done so.

"China’s Xiaomi only sells its smartphones and other devices in a handful of markets… but they’re big markets with large populations including China and India. So even though you can’t easily buy a Xiaomi phone in the US or Europe, we probably shouldn't be surprised that the company is selling a lot of phones.

In fact, with Xiaomi shipping 18 million phones in the third quarter of 2014, two different reports suggest the company just became the third biggest smartphone company in the world.

Only Samsung and Apple shipped more phones during the same period."

Grin    Xiaomi will make a splash when they finally come to the USA market -- these near top of the line phones will be REALLY CHEAP to buy !!!    

Look at the growth rate on that puppy !!!!

Within a year of coming to Europe and the USA Xiaomi will surpass Apple and become #2.

Why?  Because between their new phones being released Apple sells bupkiss durng the off seasons.

« Last Edit: 11/03/14 at 06:33:16 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #108 - 11/01/14 at 00:00:10

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #109 - 11/01/14 at 05:01:53

Gordon Kelly is the reviewer who wrote this article.  He too is looking for a big Christmas sell off of everything pre-Windows 10.

"Moreover this shows Microsoft is clearing house for Windows 10: the Windows 7/Windows 8 hybrid upon which it is hanging the future of the company. Windows 10 will run across mobile, tablet and PC and is being meticulously tested with a free Technical Preview (install guide and privacy warnings) to make sure it arrives to market in 2015 as something users love.

With Windows 7 still maintaining a 53% market share and Windows 8 sat on 6%, Microsoft cannot afford another failure."

He also seems to believe that if MS does not get rid of every old OS version other than the current one then they cannot properly force folks to roll over to the "365 Everything" subscription plan as is currently planned for you.   Certainly the new smaller leaner MS has not got the manning to support any old software versions any more, so --- off with their heads to all the old versions !!!.

Win 10 will be the last individual version and it is planned to be the transition version to MS real plan, which is "365 Everything".

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #110 - 11/01/14 at 10:14:30

Its funny that you quoted his "we cannot force" upgrades comment. Because I was FORCED to upgrade from windows 8 to 8.1, just this past month.
Every time I would log on in sept. I would get a "upgrade to 8.1" message and could cancel it out with the "no thanks" button.
Sometime in late sep. early oct. the "no thanks" button turned into a "cancel" button.
And about the third week of Oct. the "cancel" button started greying out and I would actually have to shut down and reboot to get rid of it.
Finally I got tired of it and just upgraded, cause it wouldn't let me do anything other than log on to the computer password screen.
Just goes to show you, they can FORCE you to upgrade free stuff....

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #111 - 11/01/14 at 14:18:17

Microsoft plays dirty with their loyal customers ....

Ask any XP user, they will tell you.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #112 - 11/01/14 at 20:43:33

http://channeleye.co.uk/intel-impedes-windows-10/

Intel impedes Windows 10

The Brits and the Germans have a different, MUCH more adversarial relationship with Wintel than we do in the USA.  

They also actively disbelieve a lot of the brown vapor flung out by the Wintel pair.   And employees the British and German branches of both of the Wintel companies actively LEAK information to their buddies and from there to the press  .....  regularly

But the do come up with things way ahead of anybody else .....   like this little internal MS nugget.

"Oct 31, 2014

A report said that sales of notebooks using Microsoft Windows 10 are likely to be hit because Intel will be tardy releasing an appropriate chip.

Digitimes Research said that the Intel Skylake microprocessor is supposed to be ready at the beginning of the third quarter in 2015 but will probably not hit the streets until the end of next year or even 2016.

The news will plunge Microsoft into the depths of despondency.  It is already taking a hit because uptake of the notoriously shabby Windows 8.x isn’t going to plan.

Windows 10 is supposed to be the summum bonum – that is to say it will work properly because there won’t be a Windows 9.   But it requires a chip improvement that isn't going to be available.

Digitimes Research estimates that Intel’s delays won’t make the acceptance of Windows 10 any easier and it appears the alliance between Microsoft and Intel is crumbling.

Intel could not be contacted for comment at press time."

My take is that Intel is actually late with starting the Skylake detailed development and that they are going to have to rush to make the Apple imposed "drop dead" 2015 deadline (if Intel still wishes to be an Apple supplier that is).

So, Apple will be calling Intel's Skylake dance in year 2015 and Apple will be absorbing all of Intel's spare 14nm resources while it does so.

Microsoft gets bupkis out of Intel in 2015 as far as Windows support with any new 14nm "state of the art" chip goodies until Apple is fully satisfied and happy.   Like maybe sometimes in 2016 ???

Roll Eyes

Apple is now bigger than MS now in every "new sales only" market category that you can mention, laptops included.   Apple is also prone to LEVERAGE these Big 800 Pound Gorilla sales advantages to the detriment of their main competitors.    

Microsoft is on the receiving end of their own nasty bag of tricks now.   And MS is howling about the "little visitor" they are getting slipped to them by Apple.

Apple still feels it owes MS one up the kister for MS's copying their Apple "Macintosh Windows" environment back in the day ...... you know, the one Apple copied from Palo Alto Labs and DEC and IBM.

So, Apple has Intel's new Skylake processor production all locked up now, and they have ARM's next generation chipset tech all locked up and they functionally have all the current amount of 14nm processing all locked up both at Intel and at Samsung/Global.

It must be nice to be Apple right now ....   getting to oh so slowly tighten the thumbscrews on MS while they wriggle and howl in impotent fury and fiscal pain.   Apple is now actively denying Microsoft the top end high profit product sales that MS needs to have to sell in the USA so they can fund all the rest of their Chinese loss leader BS right now.

So, MS is committed to a massive freebee expansion in China with no bonus income flow to fund it ???   You ain't going to break your deals with the Chinese, they will kick your ass out of their country forever (and you bloody well know it).   So you just have to lump it, MS.

Time to screw over our old USA customer / business user base all over again -- time to make them pay MS to upgrade something somehow, real fast.

Or, (shudder) let some more workers go ......

« Last Edit: 11/02/14 at 20:16:03 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #113 - 11/02/14 at 06:24:16

http://www.amazon.com/HP-Chromebox-CB1-014-Desktop-White/dp/B00KD5RUPA/ref=sr...

HP Chromebox CB1-014 Desktop (White) on Amazon for $136.71

$136.71

Oh Microsoft -- your $200 low cost chrome killers are priced too high again .....   Grin    

.... got to go spend some more MS price support money to get your chrome killers back into line again on that retail pricing again.  

HP is quietly doing you too, just like Intel is -- your good buddies are showing you some real affection lately, aren't they?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #114 - 11/02/14 at 07:07:29

Wait a minute.... aren't you comparing a bare box, to a complete laptop with screen, keyboard, speakers, and battery power?...
$200 sounds like a better deal...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #115 - 11/02/14 at 14:18:37

And I have flash drive and a phone with bigger memory capacity....
They could at least put a micro sd in there with 64gb.

I'm headed to wally world this pay period to check out that RCA tablet and a 64gb micro card.... I want to see what $149.00 can do.

The thing has great reviews and some folks actually replaced their laptops with it. (according to the reviews)

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #116 - 11/02/14 at 18:50:19

OK, so you want an equally cheap chromebook instead of a chromebox.  

Can do.

First you identify what you are looking for and then see if it repeats on Woot,

http://deals.woot.com/deals/tagged/chromebook

http://deals.woot.com/deals/details/1b8a0d56-0b26-4e32-9c2f-39edcc71ac1a/refu...     $99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314477&nm_mc=AFC-C8J...   $139

http://deals.woot.com/deals/details/3ac6267f-68ef-47de-9fd4-558ecf9d46e8/refu...   $134.99

Deals like these REPEAT every few weeks, so what you do is go here and put in an alert for yourself so you get an e-mail when one goes off and then you snag it and bag it quick before it goes away.    And remember to yell out Woot !!! when you click the buy button cause you just saved a lot of money on your snagged item.

Same trick works for WHATEVER you are price hunting -- you can woot tag just about anything that has sales that repeat on a periodic basis.    I have wooted a washer dryer combination for my mother-in-law and got her a full mini set for $600 that would fit in a closet.  ($1,600 normal retail)

http://deals.woot.com/deals/tagged/chromebook

==================================================

So far Microsoft has only ONE extant real Chrome killer box and only ONE extant real Chrome killer laptop and both are just now barely down in the Chrome killing range of prices.    Microsoft is choking on the price support needed to get them down that low.

Obviously from what you just read on http://deals.woot.com/deals/tagged/chromebook there is lots of free room still left in the real world Chromebook pricing structure to allow Chromebooks to put on a sale that puts them way down beyond Microsoft's price supporting "reach".   And Chromebook vendors can do that without price supports (although I am sure they take advantage of whatever Intel is currently giving away on processors).

And, since the chromebook/boxes work so much quicker and better for web work they are still eating up the bottom end of Microsoft's lunch.

And I like the little Chromebox running Chrome OS and Android apps and Crouton Linux all at the same time, even though I also like my $80 refurbie Dell desktop unit running Linux Mint just fine for right now.  

Remember,  I already own the display, speaker and keyboard you know, right nice ones .....

==================================================

Old_rider, you may want to pick up a good typing feel keyboard case for that RCA tablet if it doesn't come with one.

« Last Edit: 11/03/14 at 09:08:55 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #117 - 11/02/14 at 19:32:25

http://www.businessinsider.com/microsoft-advertising-sales-team-redundancies-...

Microsoft Fires Global Advertising Sales Team

Ooooh, I am currently caught calf deep while crossing the Chrome and ARM piranha laden stream and I can't go forward because Intel Skyylake isn't ready yet.  And now I've got this awkward big Apple stuck up my bum for the whole next year now, too.    So embarrassing, that bulge in the back of my pants.

I am currently stuck midstream, hopping from one stub to the other while writhing in ever increasing pain, while I am getting shorter and shorter by the inches .....  

.... and it HURTS.     Aieeeee !!!   It hurts so badly being stuck here, while being abused by Apple and ignored by my old friend Intel while being nibbled on by this multitude of little sharp toothed Google fishes.

I feel I must downsize some more to compensate for my copious bleeding.

"Sources have told Business Insider it was announced Wednesday that Microsoft was making its Microsoft Advertising global sales team redundant as part of the largest sweep of job cuts in Microsoft's history annouAieeeee !!!nced this summer, which is understood to affect up to 18,000 roles across the entire business.

One client-side marketer told Business Insider their company had a campaign lined up with Microsoft, only to be informed its account managers at Microsoft Advertising had been told to down tools earlier this week.

A Microsoft spokeswoman told Business Insider: "We've taken another step that will complete almost all the 18,000 reductions announced in July. The reductions happening today are spread across many different business units, and many different countries.”

We asked for more clarification on which divisions are affected, but Microsoft said it had no further information to share.

Tech news website CRN.com reported earlier this week that Microsoft Advertising had shut down its global agencies and accounts team, which handle all of Microsoft's relationships with top advertising agencies and brand-side marketers, as well as Yarn, an in-house creative team responsible for keeping marketers up to date with the latest updates to its advertising formats.

But Business Insider understands the cuts go far deeper than that and will see the departure of the majority of the global salesforce.

The Microsoft Advertising executive team is headed up by Frank Holland, corporate vice president of advertising and online. Business Insider understands all or at least the majority of the Microsoft Advertising executive team listed on the division's website were not affected by the announcement on Wednesday.

However, the closure of Microsoft Advertising has been speculated on for some time. The company had just a tiny 2.45% share of the global display advertising market last year, according to eMarketer. The market is dominated by Google (with a 31.92% share and Facebook, with a 5.82% share.)

The most pertinent sign Microsoft might have looking for an exit from the advertising sector recently was the sale of its Atlas online advertising server to Facebook last year. Shortly afterwards, Microsoft's general manager for display advertising in its online services division, insisted in a blog post the rumors had spiraled out of control. But almost a year later, it looks as though they could be true."

So, Microsoft no longer has the ability to try to sell ads like Google does, and will have to be content to be an OS maker going forward.    

Wink     Maybe with a little "increased and better focus" they can actually make an OS that people really want ??   

Ya think so ??

Naw, they will just fumble around and hack up some more security releases and go foul up yet another Win 10 weekly release so the text won't even display right.   The automated work flow keeps automatically transferring things over to people who simply aren't there any more.

Woopsie !!    Win 10 won't display text within the window boarders any more .....    Shocked

.... and Satya will just keep on cutting to make MS over into his idealized "lean company" mental image by cutting and cutting and cutting until MS can't do anything much for right.

Then he can go restructure it again to put the remaining pieces together into a much much smaller more focused company.   Maybe it can do something then.

After all, since Apple has cut MS off from all the new 14nm Intel chipsets for a year everyone has LOTS of time for Microsoft to actually go finish up Windows 10  .....  and to go complete their "pay me" total low end take over of the Orient now too.

Grin

.... and now they are starting the kill off of Win 7 --- wow, is Win 10 even ready yet?  

It is ???

Huh, what do you mean  "It is"?   Do you mean it is ready?   No ??  

Ah,  you mean it is Win 7,  just slightly repackaged.

« Last Edit: 11/03/14 at 09:24:21 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #118 - 11/02/14 at 20:46:56

http://www.geekwire.com/2014/windows-ux-leader-jensen-harris-left-launch-star...

Interview: Why Windows UX leader Jensen Harris is leaving Microsoft to co-found the startup Textio

"For people who track Windows, the timing is interesting. Harris’ departure follows Microsoft’s unveiling last week of a new user interface in Windows 10 that rolls back some of the key approaches introduced in Windows 8 — reintroducing the Start menu, for example.
So does his decision to leave have anything to do with that?"

So, the brain drain at MS continues as the best and brightest of the new feature developers voluntarily jump the sinking ship, well before Satya can even get around to them .....

Roll Eyes

So can the B string people that are all that is left behind even fix these key features in the new Win 10 OS?

Yes, by falling back more and more to the old Win 7 code mass.    Guess again why that text inside the windows boarders just went away .....
Yup, what is old is new again.

Also note what technology the boy wunderkind is now busily putting into commercialized application -- the ability to  pre-know what you, the user, will choose based on profiling you.

Tongue

"What if recruiters could know, before posting a job listing, if the specific language in the job description will actually attract the types of candidates they want? Or if someone launching a Kickstarter campaign could submit the project description for analysis in advance to determine the prospects for success?

Those are the types of scenarios that will be enabled by Textio, an early stage Seattle startup founded by two Microsoft veterans: Kieran Snyder, a linguist and cognitive scientist who worked most recently at Amazon; and Jensen Harris, a 16-year Microsoft veteran known for his work leading the Windows user experience."

the Lex Luthor look     the Poison Ivy look

Yeah, you can tell these guys definitely worked for Microsoft, just look at the hair styles.   Ballmer had the Bane look down pat, with his jumping around, roaring and sticking out his tongue all the time.

the manical roaring Bane look

« Last Edit: 11/03/14 at 09:29:11 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #119 - 11/02/14 at 21:17:27

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/10/07/windows_10_data_collection/

Windows 10's 'built-in keylogger'? Ha ha, says Microsoft – no, it just monitors your typing.
YOU said it was OK when you installed that Technical Preview

"Don't want Microsoft tracking you online and collecting data on your computing habits? Then you probably shouldn't install the Windows 10 Technical Preview, Redmond says.

The interwebs were abuzz on Monday over concerns about the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy of Microsoft's newly released, not-even-beta-yet OS, with some sites going as far as to claim that Windows 10 comes with a "built-in keylogger" to watch users' every move.

Turns out these Chicken Littles were right – sort of – but according to Microsoft they should have known about the data collection from the get-go, because they agreed to it.

"With Windows 10, we're kicking off the largest ever open collaborative development effort that will change the way we build and deliver Windows," a Redmond spokesperson told El Reg in an emailed statement. "Users who join the Windows Insider Program and opt-in to the Windows 10 Technical Preview are choosing to provide data and feedback that will help shape the best Windows experience for our customers."

Brits and Germans are dumping the Win 10 preview en mass now that they realize how extensive the data tracking in the preview actually is -- down to the keystroke logging level apparently.

Germany is going to be banning the preview from any and all government facilities, period.   And guess what they will be looking out for now in the finished Win 10 product ..... yup, same sorts of tricks.

Tongue     Hope the Chinese don't catch you doing this shite -- them steel toed military police boots hurt when they kick you in the kister.

And you land outside the Chinese boarders, forever.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 34
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 05:04:42

General CategoryThe Cafe › The Chrome Wars

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.