Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
New spark plug shattered while in. (Read 512 times)
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: EMERGENCY!  New spark plug shattered while in.
Reply #30 - 06/01/14 at 19:32:52

There are grease experts?...  Huh...
Grin Grin Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #31 - 06/01/14 at 20:03:19

uigiroux wrote on 06/01/14 at 18:59:46:
 or if I can get a vacuum setup,  but that is really expensive it seems to...

Dude, surely you have a vacuum cleaner hanging around the house? You just need that, take the pipe off the suction hose so you only have the bendy hose on the vacuum cleaner. Get a piece of PVC hose that fits though the spark plug hole. Wrap one end of the hose in a rag, stuff that in the vacuum cleaner hose, wrap up in packing tape or something and let it rip. Get the busted spark plug out first tho. More crap is bound to fall in while your poking around. Good luck.

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #32 - 06/01/14 at 21:08:57

Serowbot wrote on 06/01/14 at 19:32:52:
There are grease experts?...  Huh...
Grin Grin Grin...

You never know who might be lurking on the lis... People get Ph.Ds in pretty slim topics these days.  Wink

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #33 - 06/02/14 at 07:40:03

I didnt have a bore camera,, I was just meticulous.

A Vacuum cleaner,, just any old vacuum cleaner with a HOSE,, start there,

Just get some grease, some THICK grease, ..like for heavy equipment, high pressure stuff. The backhoe gets a red pasty grease, a dab of that on a 3/8ths dowel will pick up a 3/8ths nut.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #34 - 06/02/14 at 19:13:27

Surprisingly I don't,  I live in a apt with all wood floors.   I'll go for one of those small hoovers.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #35 - 06/03/14 at 07:16:59

If ya dont wanna buy one, look at renting a shop vac,Youre not gonna do it damage, You mite get one for 10 bucks for a day,.,maybe less,,

OHH,, & you have my sympathy. Ive had some experience in apartment living. The last one I rented I was 22. After that I found Guest Houses out behind houses in the old part of town. Back in the 50's, thats how they did it,Listening to other peoples music, doors closing, kids, chairs dragging across the ceiling, toilets flush.,. AAaaaggghhh! I lived in some dumps, but at least they were quiet,,I was in control of my environment.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #36 - 06/04/14 at 12:55:25

Dave, where did you find these reviews?   I'm dealing with e3's warranty people right now and he saying he never heard of this happening to which I replied someone in my forum posted a bunch of comments about this happening and then he started saying how well yeah that was like ten years ago but we've fixed the problem since then....

Anyways was just wondering in case it comes up again.

Dave wrote on 06/01/14 at 08:19:02:
I am with Raydawg on the vacuum trial first.  The problem with using grease is that you may actually make the cylinder sticky and parts may stick to it as well as the grease coated swab.

I use my shop vac and the plastic top from a paint spray can.  Find a spray can top, or peanut butter jar, or anything that fits over the shop vac hose.  Then cut/drill a small hole in the plastic and insert a piece of rubber hose that will fit in the spark plug hole.  Having the piston at the bottom of the stroke will give you the most room to move the hose around.  A really small tube is the most maneuverable - but may not be able to big up big pieces.....bigger tubes are less flexible but can pick up bigger pieces.  You might try a few different sized to see what you can use best.  The angle of the spark plug may require that you lean the bike over toward the clutch side and vacuum up the pieces from the low spot on that side....you may not be able to reach over to the shifter side very well.

OK....explain to me what you hoped to accomplish by indexing an E3 spark plug?  Indexing on a high performance 8,000 rpm engine with a single electrode might get you a ).0001 second advantage on the drag strip......but on a spark plug with 3 electrodes....what is there to index?

If a 3 electrode spark plug was of any real benefit - they would have been installed in most production cars and bikes.  The factories are spending millions of dollars trying to make engine more efficient....they would have used E3 plugs if they made any real gains.  Customer reviews like these would have stopped me from putting them in my engine.

Hi if you are consindering changing to this plug please dont they are junk, they caused missfire,blew out a plug boot and cost me $179.00 to find this problem. I contacted E3 they said it was not caused by their plug. I had AC delco plugs installed and have no problems. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY THEY STINK. The warrenty just covered the cost of the plugs I am out almost $200.00.

CHECK WITH YOUR DEALER TO SEE IF PLUGS ARE RECOMMENDED FOR YOUR VEHICLE...I put a set in my 09 wrangler, drove from Kentucky to Florida. At approximately 600 miles the jeep started missing, at 700 it was missing and back firing, we stopped for the night. We took it to a jeep dealer the next morning, they put it on the computer and told me one plug was dead and three were breaking down. Also the plugs were not recommended by Dodge and should not have been installed, as a result the warranty did not cover repairs.
I had to pay $197.00 for diagnostics and new plugs, then on the way back to Kentucky the check engine light came on, back to Dodge dealer, because of the back firing, I had to replace EGR valve and PCV valve also not covered by wrranty, $572.00. both dealers said the E-3 plugs because of the firing/spark design the computer sent the wrong firing command and the plugs did not work right, the back firing killed the EGR and PCV. In my opinion if you have a late model Jeep you should not use this plug under any circumstances.

I bought these from my local autozone to replace my old Denzo plugs in my 08 Saturn Outlook. The autozone guy said they were better than the denzos and would produce varied gas mileage over new Denzo plugs. Being a car guy, I usually go with what I know and buy brands that are reputable; in this case I said what the heck I'll give them a try, big mistake!

After replacing the plugs and setting them to the proper manufacture torque, I start the vehicle, runs fine purs like a kitten, ildles high as all outlooks do. Then, once the idle settles at 750-800, I kept getting stutter and hesitation. No check engine light, so I scan it with my Craftsman OBD2 scanner...code P0301 misfire cylinder 1!

To make this short; I removed these plugs one by one only to find all but one cracked. Yes the porcelain was cracked around the top and in some cases the entire diode was bent. I thought I just over tightened then till I googled the situation. There are many reports of these plugs either being defective out the box or crapping out under 30k miles. I just wish I had done my homework first, these plugs have a quality control issue, you are playing roulette buying them and I'd steer clear of them! The company along with some random others promote these plugs as having produced HP gains of 8hp, and 5lbs torque, and distances of 100k miles or more, however they lasted all of 10 minutes in my truck.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #37 - 06/04/14 at 13:18:45

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Reply #38 - 06/04/14 at 13:29:57

sorry buddy, I feel your pain, but let me say this:

never use anything bigger than a 3/8" ratchet on aluminum heads, and even with the small ratchet don't make them tight..

you would not believe how many outboard motor heads I've had to replace because of folks over-tightening or not using bare fingers to thread all the way in

motorcycles have been my main transport since 1974
  IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #39 - 06/04/14 at 13:51:42

Well this is a bit of a side note but now I'm pissed at Thunder Products.   To try and pay for some of this work and tools I'm having to return some things to them and the owner just like flipped out on me over the phone and wanted to charge me like nearly $60 just to return 3 things which I haven't even opened.   I told him that was absurd and agreed to a $30 restocking fee and he just yelled ship it now and hung up.   WTF?   I understand this isn't his fault,  but regardless of if this had happened,  I was already having a hard time properly jetting my new carb,  and he sent me the wrong dial-a-jet,  the torque wing isn't worth a hundred dollars I don't care what performance gains it gives I could have one fabricated for about ten dollars.   I'm the one paying for shipping,  all he has to do is receive the package,  check that I did in fact not open anything,  and put it back on a shelf.   That darn spark plug didn't even shatter until I tried indexing it which he really empathasized was so important,  so this wouldn't even have happened had he not pushed all these darn products on me.

Maybe I'm over reacting,  he was nice when I wanted to buy something from him but as soon as a return is mentioned he loses all sense of customer service?   I saw planning on getting a Dial-a-jet down the line when I can afford it again,  but not anymore.

IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #40 - 06/04/14 at 14:14:26

Well I guess I must of pissed off the motorcycle God's or something.   Just tried doing an easy out and that broke off nice and deep in the cylinder.   Now I have no choice right?   Not only do I have to take the head off,  but I'll probably need to have it machined to get this stuff out.   Omg I want to cry right now it's so hot in Houston already and now I'm going to be waking and taking the bus to summer school for the next month at least...  :'(

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #41 - 06/04/14 at 14:27:20

uigiroux wrote on 06/04/14 at 14:14:26:
Well I guess I must of pissed off the motorcycle God's or something.   Just tried doing an easy out and that broke off nice and deep in the cylinder.   Now I have no choice right?   Not only do I have to take the head off,  but I'll probably need to have it machined to get this stuff out.   Omg I want to cry right now it's so hot in Houston already and now I'm going to be waking and taking the bus to summer school for the next month at least...  :'(

Dang... that sucks. I've never heard of an easy out breaking. Yeah, it sounds like pulling the head is the next stage. Sorry to hear that.  Undecided

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #42 - 06/05/14 at 09:59:56

HOw much MEAT is there to drill into if you drill 1/2 way between the center of the plug base & the threads? If you can drill a 1/8th hole between center & threads on both sides of center, you can cut 2,  1/8th bits off & use the smooth ends. Poke them in the holes & stick a flat piece of metal between them & use them to drag it out,

If you broke an ease out off instead of backing that plug out, you were well past 10 foot pounds.,.,or cross threaded. Sure doesnt sound like a plug w/ antiseize just being properly installed,

IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #43 - 06/10/14 at 18:12:08

Well I had to take my bike to a local mechanic,  luckily found one through a forum here in Houston who's really reasonable.   He got the plug out and said it wasn't over torqued,  it is just a crappy plug with very thin walls for the metal threading.   Have been taking to the company about warranty and getting these costs covered,  though it's probably a pipe dream lol.    The good news was he didn't have to remove the head to get the plug out and my threading is perfectly fine,  further reinforcing that I didn't over torque it.   The bad news,  when I tried extracting it I used a easy out that was too small and went in and damaged my intake valve (one at least so far as the bore camera could see,  so now the cylinder head does have to come off.   So far just the parts I ordered already have me over $150, and I'll just have to wait and see what labor will end up being...   Hopefully it's just the one valve damaged.  Ugh fml.

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #44 - 06/10/14 at 19:20:16

Well, that's good news and bad news... I really hate it when I create work by trying to do stuff that I should have just paid someone to do when my gut was saying "you're in over your head here!".... oh well. I just look at it as my student loan on a PhD in "Stupid".  Cheesy

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/27/24 at 00:00:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New spark plug shattered while in.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.