Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
New spark plug shattered while in. (Read 512 times)
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New spark plug shattered while in.
05/31/14 at 00:03:43

I'm freaking out I just did the carb swap and wanted to get a new plug in.   I was going to try a few but the first one I got was those E3 ones (e3-36 model),  and I was using Thunder Products index washers to get it facing the gap.   I had my torque wrench set just below 10 ft lbs, though instructions said 10, regardless,  I was having trouble getting the cap on and I went to loosen it and it just put up no resistance.   I took out the socket and felt the plug could be removed by hand but it suddenly just popped out leaving behind shards of the porcelain.....    I can't tell if any got in they are mostly large shards so far as I can tell,  but I'm afraid to try and remove them there all being held in place by one large shard and I feel like I'd be paying operation as a kid all over again except if I mess up this I'm gonna have to take the head off,  right?   Please what do I do I can't afford this darn mistake right now I have summer school on Monday...
« Last Edit: 06/11/14 at 12:08:53 by Dave »  

1401519784251.jpg
  IP Logged
anebv8

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rangiora,New Zealand
Re: EMERGENCY!  New spark plug shattered while in.
Reply #1 - 05/31/14 at 00:19:47

vacum cleaner (hoover) ?

Ago Solvo Intereo Puteus
  IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/31/14 at 00:35:46

Well that might work but upon further inspection of the plug I've realized the head of the new plug is still screwed inside the head....  so it didn't just break the porcelain.   Now I don't know how to avoid taking the head off,  and is that all up have to take off or will I need to check the lower part of my engine now?   And put of curiosity,  can I get the maker of this defective nightmare to pony up for the cost of this?

Notice in the pic how the metal is busted off,  and the plug to its left it the one I took out.

1401521701847.jpg
  IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/31/14 at 00:37:01

Here is the plug head still in the engine,  you cab see its prongs making the square.

IMAG0206.jpg
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #4 - 05/31/14 at 02:00:10

That sucks, man. I'd try a stud extractor (ezi out) before I popped the top off the engine.

IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/31/14 at 02:13:47

gizzo wrote on 05/31/14 at 02:00:10:
That sucks, man. I'd try a stud extractor (ezi out) before I popped the top off the engine.

I know I need to I'm just really skeptical about using those.   I tried using one on my front forks for a broken screw and the extractor ended up breaking flush where the screw originally broke and now it's even more stuck in there.   Worried that would happen to the engine,  and even if it does work,  what about the possible shards that could have gotten into the cylinder head?   It seems like I am going to have to get inside no matter what I do.   I am curious if I'm going to have to just get the cylinder head off or go even deeper..?

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #6 - 05/31/14 at 02:32:13

If you use an Eziout all porcelain mist be removed before you start. I understand your scepticism about these things. Is there absolutely no hex left on the plug? Where was the plug made?

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 05/31/14 at 02:46:19

The pic above shows what is left of the plug,  probably more than half the threaded part still in the engine.   It's one of the e3 spark plugs.   That's the brand,  their website says their made in Florida.   www.e3sparkplugs.com   I sent them a rather upset message but they have on their warranty saying they will only cover the cost of spark plugs,  even if you do everything right.   Really frustrated....

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #8 - 05/31/14 at 02:52:42

50-50 acetone and atf mix, saturate the area and hit it with an easy out. It probably galled on the way in, you'll need a lot of lubrication to get it removed w/o pulling the head threads out. Once out, run a well greased tap through the plug hole to chase and straighten the threads. Use anti-sieze on the replacement plug from now on. Your engine doesn't leak enough yet to warrant a "dry" install.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 05/31/14 at 02:57:13

What about anything that may have gotten into the engine though?   That's my main concern.   Really don't want to have to open her up.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 05/31/14 at 09:43:04

It wasnt tite, so getting it out should be easy. If you dont wanna drive an extractor in it & knock porcelain into the jug, I get that..
Piano wire, 1/8" bits even, theyre cheap,  OR 2 skinny extractors,, drill holes in the threaded slug, punch the wire/ drill bit ends, extractors, whatever, into the holes & use that to back it out.

Now, get a piece of wire, put a skinny loop on it, get some grease & dab on it, THINK about where that end is, walk it down the wall till it hits the piston, swing it around the Piston/wall junctiona few degrees, pull it out, look for signs of debris,,Spend time here, maybe even lay the bike on its side& smak the jug w/ a board to make anything want to go to one side,,but you need to know theres no busted glass in there,,

If you have a compressor you can build a vacuum of sorts.

Youll need a blower tip with a skinny, long nozzle tip. I added a 1/8th tubing to one of mine, poke a hole in a piece of tubing about 6 inches from the end, insert nozzle, aimed out the short end, when ya pull the trigger it creates a vacuum on the other end, Ive used that setup a number of times, Itll move fluids..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 05/31/14 at 10:11:45

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/31/14 at 09:43:04:
It wasnt tite, so getting it out should be easy. If you dont wanna drive an extractor in it & knock porcelain into the jug, I get that..
Piano wire, 1/8" bits even, theyre cheap,  OR 2 skinny extractors,, drill holes in the threaded slug, punch the wire/ drill bit ends, extractors, whatever, into the holes & use that to back it out.

Now, get a piece of wire, put a skinny loop on it, get some grease & dab on it, THINK about where that end is, walk it down the wall till it hits the piston, swing it around the Piston/wall junctiona few degrees, pull it out, look for signs of debris,,Spend time here, maybe even lay the bike on its side& smak the jug w/ a board to make anything want to go to one side,,but you need to know theres no busted glass in there,,

If you have a compressor you can build a vacuum of sorts.

Youll need a blower tip with a skinny, long nozzle tip. I added a 1/8th tubing to one of mine, poke a hole in a piece of tubing about 6 inches from the end, insert nozzle, aimed out the short end, when ya pull the trigger it creates a vacuum on the other end, Ive used that setup a number of times, Itll move fluids..

That seems like a good strategy.   It was tight though.   I was supposed to get it to 10 ft lbs and I only did about 8-9ish, so it is in there....   What kind of grease should I use?   Would just like normal can of engine goop like Valvoline all purpose engine grease?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 05/31/14 at 10:20:15

What a piece of carp sparkplug!...

JOG's grease on a wire method seems like it might pick something up...

..(hope this is a lesson learned for some people.. don't trust wizbang gizmo science... Champion, NKG, Bosch, all know sparkplug technology... If something really works they'll make it, and make it right)...
Sorry for your troubles, dude...

Seems like you need access to a bore camera...
Call around some machine shops,.. maybe they have one?...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Inspection-Camera-Bore-scope-Endoscope-Waterproof-Sna...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
scubachef

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 05/31/14 at 17:50:48

I have used the grease trick before.  It is a very good suggestion. I don't see a way to avoid using an extractor to get it back out.

Regarding how this mess began, Are you sure the torque wrench is accurate and calibrated?  Maybe it is cranking down more than you thought?  If my two cents means anything, anti-seize and tightening just past contact with the head is all that is needed for a plug. I was told by an ASE master tech that the only time he or his employees reach for the torque wrench is engine builds.

Good luck, go slow.

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 05/31/14 at 19:00:25

Sorry this happened to you.  And I regret to say this but I think your best course of action is to pull the head.  Any piece of ceramic, no matter how small, will score up your bore.

Also, if you remove the head you have access to both sides of the plug and  it will be easy to remove.  I bet you were using a click type torque wrench.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 01:36:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New spark plug shattered while in.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.