Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
quick question on cleaning TEV (Read 96 times)
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
quick question on cleaning TEV
06/10/14 at 12:05:38

will there be free-flowing fuel in that part of the carb without the motor running?
I have the Raptor (as of last night) so I can switch it off and run the gas out of the carb, but do I need to do that?
Thanks.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: quick question on cleaning TEV
Reply #1 - 06/10/14 at 12:08:17

Nope....it pulls fuel up from the float bowl.  I believe it uses the Enrichement Circuit to obtain fuel.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #2 - 06/10/14 at 12:58:39

Thanks Dave.  I've only had the bike a week or so.  It's an '08 with about 3K on it and it gives the really loud KAPOW when I shut it down and pops pretty loud when hitting the throttle and letting off while riding.
My first plan is to drill out the brass plug and back out the mixture screw a half turn or so.
I figure the TEV shouldn't be bad but since the bike has so few miles on it in 6 years there's a chance it could be gummed if a PO let it sit without proper prep.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 06/10/14 at 13:27:35

The TEV has nothing to do with the shut down POW.  When you turn off the ignition, the engine is still turning and it pulls fuel and air though the engine....and pumps it out the exhaust since the spark plug is inactive.  When the fuel/air mixture in the hot exhaust is heated up to the flash point - it ignites.  I lean mixture burns faster than a rich one....so if the bike is lean at idle the mixture is more explosive and makes a louder bang.  Lawn mowers used to do this....and most modern mowers have a fuel shut off that closes when you turn the key off, and it prevents the bang caused by the hot muffler filling with fuel.

You cam limit the pops and bangs while riding, by holding the throttle open about 1/16 turn when you shift and decelerate.  It makes very little difference in the amount of braking you have to do as it is not enough throttle to make any power....just enough to allow fuel to flow into the engine while you are braking or shifting.  The pops and bangs when you shift or decelerate are caused by the engine going lean when you have shut the throttle and closed off most of the fuel flow...only the idle circuit is providing fuel.  The TEV (Throttle Enrichement Valve) is supposed to add fuel when you have the throttle closed and the engine has gone lean....but it does not add much and doesn't seem to eliminate the problem.  Richening up the pilot jet can reduce the popping and banging - but the problem is that when you make the pilot jet bigger to reduce pops and bangs - you may be running too rich and get crappy fuel mileage.

Dave

IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Reply #4 - 06/10/14 at 15:47:27

lean burns more slowly than rich, but the explanation still is accurate  Tongue

motorcycles have been my main transport since 1974
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 06/10/14 at 17:24:03

shorty wrote on 06/10/14 at 15:47:27:
lean burns more slowly than rich, but the explanation still is accurate  Tongue

Maybe inside the engine....but not in the muffler.  The folks on this site who have had "gun shot" explosions on shutdown....then replaced the pilot jet with a larger one....or turned the mixture screw richer....report the explosion is reduced to a "poof".

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 06/11/14 at 04:40:56

Does putting a larger pilot in make ya a poofter?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #7 - 06/11/14 at 07:05:38

Tocsik wrote on 06/10/14 at 12:58:39:
Thanks Dave.  I've only had the bike a week or so.  It's an '08 with about 3K on it and it gives the really loud KAPOW when I shut it down and pops pretty loud when hitting the throttle and letting off while riding.
My first plan is to drill out the brass plug and back out the mixture screw a half turn or so.
I figure the TEV shouldn't be bad but since the bike has so few miles on it in 6 years there's a chance it could be gummed if a PO let it sit without proper prep.

I got ride of the downshift and decel pops on my bike by cutting one-half of a turn off of the TEV spring, after turning out the mixture screw didn't solve the problem. Keeps the TEV open slightly longer. YMMV.

- David
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 06/11/14 at 07:20:33

DavidOfMA wrote on 06/11/14 at 07:05:38:
I got ride of the downshift and decel pops on my bike by cutting one-half of a turn off of the TEV spring, after turning out the mixture screw didn't solve the problem. Keeps the TEV open slightly longer. YMMV.

This is a trial and error fix, plan on error and you'll be ok.for some adding a washer did the trick.

I'd clean first, try some other adjustments next, maybe a thin washer, then get another spring to try long before modifying the hard to get stock spring.

WWW   IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #9 - 06/11/14 at 09:14:54

verslagen1 wrote on 06/11/14 at 07:20:33:
DavidOfMA wrote on 06/11/14 at 07:05:38:

This is a trial and error fix, plan on error and you'll be ok.for some adding a washer did the trick.

I'd clean first, try some other adjustments next, maybe a thin washer, then get another spring to try long before modifying the hard to get stock spring.

That's just what I did. I cleaned the TEV and carb, adjusted the mix screw, tried a larger pilot jet (got rid of the backfire but wouldn't idle when cold), tried a washer, and tried a softer spring. The softer spring got rid of the backfire but caused an irregular idle. I also read through the threads on the spring mod for the TEV and saw that most people were removing a substantial piece of the spring. I started with a half-round, and that tiny adjustment was enough to get rid of the backfiring. Of course, as I said, YMMV.

« Last Edit: 06/11/14 at 18:25:38 by DavidOfMA »  

- David
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/27/24 at 00:14:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › quick question on cleaning TEV

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.