Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
Send Topic Print
JUSTIN & Linux (sounds dangerous, don't it?) (Read 878 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: JUSTIN & Linux (sounds dangerous, don't it?)
Reply #60 - 03/09/14 at 11:46:38

Justin, it is all relative.   I know more Linux than you.   Kirill knows more Linux than me.   Dave is a better bike mod man and Lancer is a better mechanic.   Big Zuk could ride us all into the ground on a Savage and never even break a sweat doing it.

We are all different.

However, WE as whole are a pretty good mechanic and a pretty durn smart computer person.  

And that is why I am still asking if anyone knows of anything better to take XP people over to that is better than Linux Mint Mate.  

Anything more XP like or easier to use once you get it installed.

So far, no suggestions have come forward, so we go on forward with the project.

======================

Justin is going to take some time off to finish his generator installation before he hauls out his old Dell computer stuff.

So far I count 3 new people who have successfully installed dual boot Mint Mate without requiring very much in the way of hand holding.

Four if you count Serowbot, who has done a couple of times in the past and is thinking about not doing it again until he has to.  

(which is fine, but he'll be totally dead in the water with no distro sitting there on a DVD when he needs it -- or better yet already set up as a dual boot on his hard drive)

Everybody else will have a dual boot machine up and running, going XP whenever they want and Mint whenever the root kits and viruses are acting up again.

That's a thought -- if you ran Mint for the normal easy stuff and only went XP when you wanted to run a program that required it that might work to extend the lifespan of XP on your machine.

You would do most of your net surfing on Mint (and really wouldn't be catching much in the way of illnesses accordingly).   Most stuff gets on your machine by visiting web pages or opening something containing Hidden Evil while running a vulnerable Windows machine.

Linux Mint on the net is like walking in a mine field wearing an Iron Man suit -- your might step in it and it might blow up on you, but has little to no effect because it simply can't reach your flesh.    

Most times you don't even hear the BANG because it isn't even in the same plane of reality as you are when you are running Mint.

Cheesy

I hope MS hasn't disabled Serowbot's XP installation CD yet,  he's gonna be sick if he sticks it in and it doesn't work when he needs it the most.

Remember guys, According To Microsoft that CD belongs to them and you only have the right to use the software on the CD according to the rules they set down.

And according to those Microsoft rules XP ends one month from now on April the 8th -- and, having tried last year to get a replacement CD for my official XP installation disk when it crapped out on me, I can tell you they won't give you one.

"XP is unsupported at this time"  

"Reference the Version Life Schedule page for additional information"

"You need to update your Windows to a more modern version"

"You can't get upgrade pricing to anything past Windows Vista"

"Windows Vista is unsupported at this time"

"You can't get upgrade pricing to Windows 7 from Windows XP"

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: JUSTIN & Linux (sounds dangerous, don't it
Reply #61 - 03/09/14 at 12:02:01

Okay,.. ya' scared me... I have Xp with SP3 on a bootable flash, and Linux mint 11 or 14? on another... I'm gonna' download Mate.
Hope it's better than than Mint...

Between me n' JOG,.. we're gonna' pound you with so many dumb questions you'll need a better chair...

For now,.. could you explain "mounting/un-mounting" and "Command lines"?...
I never got those... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #62 - 03/09/14 at 12:25:32

Serowbot wrote on 03/09/14 at 09:38:35:
I'm following along,... hoping to see a successful, non-geek, acclimate to Linux... but, I'm not optimistic...
Best luck, guys...

I'm riding XP into the ground... then I'll re-install ride it down again...
I hate change... Angry...

Serobot

Here's a preliminary report from a non geek that might make you feel a bit better. I installed the 32 bit version of Mint 16 alongside XP on my old Dell Inspiron 5305. I used this dvd:

https://www.osdisc.com/products/linux/linuxmint/linux-mint-16-mate-install-li...

Installed without a hitch and I can now boot to either Linux or XP.
Mint found my printer, and my network - everything works perfectly without my having had to do anything. The Mint desktop and menu system look a lot like XP and will be no problem for anyone used to XP.

The firefox browser that comes with Mint works great - I'm using it right now; It's as fast as Chrome and way better than IE.

The other preinstalled programs in Mint look very similar to their windows counterparts. The only one that I've spent any time with so far is Libre Office Write. I moved my documents over - most created using Microsoft Works- and Write handled them perfectly.

I have stuff on the XP side of my machine that I use that doesn't require an internet connection. I plan on doing all my online stuff with Mint and keeping the XP side as a stand alone box. Should run forever that way. At least that's the plan Cheesy

If an old Luddite like me can do this, I think just about anyone should be able to handle it.  

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #63 - 03/09/14 at 14:05:19

Serowbot wrote on 03/09/14 at 12:02:01:
For now,.. could you explain "mounting/un-mounting" and "Command lines"?...
I never got those... Huh...

I never got mounting and unmounting either, I always thought in terms of open and close and I thought command line was something you used in DOS ....

Linux Mint Mate 64 doesn't use mounting and unmounting, it uses open and close and I have never had to do anything in the command line box either
(in Mint Mate you go get the command line box the same place you went to get the DOS box in XP).

I am serious, Linux Mint Mate 64 is set up to look and feel like XP.

I too am partial to what I like and I liked XP ....  so I got a Linux version that is very very much like it.

============

OK, let's hear some install times.  

Start to finish, how many minutes to get Mint Mate off the DVD and to a rebooted off the hard drive fully installed desktop?

oldNslow can go first since he spoke up last.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #64 - 03/09/14 at 15:17:47

Quote:

Start to finish, how many minutes to get Mint Mate off the DVD and to a rebooted off the hard drive fully installed desktop?

About an hour I think, but I didn't bother to look around at anything first. I just went ahead and installed it. I had defraged my drive while I was waiting for the DVD so more than half of it was just empty space. That might have helped.

While I'm typing this I'm listening to an album that I imported using Banshee. No more difficult to figure out than Media Player. I think I'm going to like this. There is a learning curve, but for the stuff I do it dosen't look like it's going to be too steep.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #65 - 03/09/14 at 15:37:48

Got Dino-laptop all hooked up and I am working on downloading Lubuntu. Okay, it's at reboot phase now, let's see what happens.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #66 - 03/09/14 at 15:57:49

Oops, I think I boogered it.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #67 - 03/09/14 at 16:56:01

Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 03/09/14 at 15:57:49:
Oops, I think I boogered it.

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #68 - 03/09/14 at 17:18:27

Retrying now. Had to let my little sister use my comp to resolve an ebay thing. But I am now back on task.

I'll get it figured out, at least I'm trying to do this with dino-laptop and have a newer one for my usual stuff so if I screw up really bad I'm still good.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #69 - 03/09/14 at 17:44:28

Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 03/09/14 at 17:18:27:
Retrying now. Had to let my little sister use my comp to resolve an ebay thing. But I am now back on task.

I'll get it figured out, at least I'm trying to do this with dino-laptop and have a newer one for my usual stuff so if I screw up really bad I'm still good.

Serowbot, don't get too excited -- he's trying out a mini-distro called Lubuntu not the Linux Mint Mate we are saying to go to.  

His laptop in question is VERY VERY OLD -- his machine can only be used for a super mini-distro and it may have some bios related issues for simply being as ancient as it is.

....  he is going to have to be very careful to have some items done the way they say to do them .... BTW did you chksum your download to make sure it all got there correctly?

Next is to go on the Lubuntu forums and ask about known problems with your particular unit and that distro -- they will want to know specifics about your machine and the error messages you got when you rebooted.

If you don't get any response, you got the "nobody home" syndrome that small partially abandoned Linux distros often show.

If it simply won't go and nobody answers your questions, try Peppermint -- Lubuntu has never been terribly user friendly for me anyway (never got a CD to really work correctly on the three times I tried it over the years) and Peppermint always seems to download, burn and work OK.

Peppermint had "somebody home" last time I asked a forum question -- but that has been YEARS ago now.

« Last Edit: 03/09/14 at 19:44:48 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #70 - 03/09/14 at 21:16:05

The Lubuntu install is kicking a$$ now. It seemed to have stalled for a while there but I went and left it alone and it picked back up. It's still installing so don't know results yet.

Oh and OF, I did do the chksum, all was good. Smiley

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #71 - 03/09/14 at 21:53:33

Taking hours & hours to do a CD install ain't right ....  something's done gone awry in Lubuntu town.  

Lubuntu uses the stock Ubuntu installation and set up stack, which may be what is slooooowing youuu doooowwwnn soooo baaadly.   Or you might have a really dirty laser sensor head in your CD/DVD drive.

Here is a review of Peppermint, it uses the Mint installer system (it simply works better and it installs all the proprietary graphics drivers and codecs for you automatically) and it also has some of the other good items of Mint Mate (the one click Software manager, and a few other things as are noted in the 4.0 review below)

http://mylinuxexplore.blogspot.com/2013/06/peppermint-os-four-review-linux-mi...

Peppermint fits on a CD and only requires 192 meg of systems memory.  

Plus once it is up and running you can download some serious sized software from the Mint Repository using Software Manager and run them as local loads instead of just being a web-based person (which is what will be set up by default).

Roll Eyes

If your Lubuntu doesn't ever jell for you, give Peppermint a try.

« Last Edit: 03/10/14 at 09:25:24 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Gerry

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southwest Michigan
Reply #72 - 03/10/14 at 05:44:08

oldNslow wrote on 03/09/14 at 15:17:47:
Quote:

About an hour I think, but I didn't bother to look around at anything first. I just went ahead and installed it. I had defraged my drive while I was waiting for the DVD so more than half of it was just empty space. That might have helped.

While I'm typing this I'm listening to an album that I imported using Banshee. No more difficult to figure out than Media Player. I think I'm going to like this. There is a learning curve, but for the stuff I do it dosen't look like it's going to be too steep.

Just going by memory but I think it only took about 20 minutes to go from insert DVD, re-start computer, remove DVD when asked and press enter to re-boot.  And maybe another 15 - 20 minutes to update through the up date manager.
Gerry

This message was posted using Google Chrome on a system using Linux Mint 17 Mate
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #73 - 03/10/14 at 09:24:16

That's more in line with what I see when upgrading from one LTS Mint Mate to the next LTS Mint Mate.

Folks who are seeing most of an hour (or more) might have some issues with their DVD drive having a dirty laser sensor head or something.

=========================

And that's 20 minutes to load the entire enchilada, not just the OS or one program -- ALL OF THEM.

Downloading updates generally takes place in the background and you just tell it when to plunk them on into the system.   This only generally takes like 3-5 minutes.    

Waiting to download them and then install them will take a lot longer, naturally.

But that should never happen again, you'll get them ongoing and just pick the time to plunk them all into the system.

Did you notice you didn't need to reboot at the end of every program like Windows always made you do?  As a matter of fact, most times the entire update process (putting down multiple multiple program updates) requires NO REBOOTING at all.

And wait until you have to do a monthly defrag to keep your Windows partion's speed up to snuff .....

Or update all your Windows antivirus programs (plural) .....

You have to do all that for a Windows system that runs like 2x slower and 5x-10x porkier on hard drive use and systems memory plus every software on it requires your attention day in, day out week in and week out for SOMETHING OR ANOTHER, CONSTANTLY.

Linux Mint Mate just runs ..... and runs ..... and runs.

Wink

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #74 - 03/10/14 at 09:44:35

I wrote over the Ubuntu 13 with the Mint Mate Pettra 16 on Friday and all seems to be working well. My initial attempt to dual boot with a split partition for the Ubuntu failed so I over-wrote all and now am very happy with Mint. My wife was frustrated with the Ubuntu interface but loves the Mint and even the 6 and 8 year olds are navigating with ease. I did the download iso to USB and boot from the USB, worked great!!

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/12/24 at 13:51:10

General CategoryThe Cafe › JUSTIN & Linux (sounds dangerous, don't it?)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.