Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
Send Topic Print
JUSTIN & Linux (sounds dangerous, don't it?) (Read 878 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: JUSTIN & Linux (sounds dangerous, don't it?)
Reply #30 - 03/04/14 at 09:23:42

kt97679 wrote on 03/04/14 at 09:00:49:
unetbootin (http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/) can be used to create bootable usb drive.

Yes, it can.   They will need to make their USB drive bootable in their systems bios (and if the XP machine is old enough they can't do that because it warn't invented back then).

Plus, you need to point them to the reference materials of a detailed "how to" if you are going to be telling them about bootable USB drives.

Me, I try to point them in ways they likely can go -- and I will be looking out for a cut down ISO for Linux Mint Mate 17 that can fit on a CD for those who only have CD read/write drives (many older XP boxes do date back that far).

They used to have smaller images by dropping off the Office to make the ISO image smaller but the Office could be down loaded afterwards through the Software Manager easily enough so it was no big deal.

Since XP upgrades will be a hot topic again maybe they will offer the smaller ISO images this time 'round.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #31 - 03/04/14 at 10:50:27

I have nero express Version 6.Is that sufficient? It says as one of the options disc image and saved projects. I think thats the choice. How do you do a chksum?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: JUSTIN & Linux (sounds dangerous, don't it
Reply #32 - 03/04/14 at 11:55:22

rl153 wrote on 03/04/14 at 10:50:27:
I have nero express Version 6.Is that sufficient? It says as one of the options disc image and saved projects. I think thats the choice. How do you do a chksum?

Read this as it .....

http://www.wikihow.com/Burn-ISO-Files-on-CD-Using-Nero-6.6      

.... should apply to what you have then.   Any variations in menus should be very slight.

============================

chksum is a utility that goes under the name MD5 in the windows world.   In Linux it is part of the operating system and is always available.  

When you download a large ISO image file sometimes download errors do take place.  You use the MD5 (or chksum) value that is listed by the origin mirror you got the image from and you compare it to the analysis of the file that actually showed up at your computer.   They should match exactly.

A free windows utility to do a MD5 (cksum) analysis is here:

http://www.winmd5.com/

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #33 - 03/04/14 at 13:34:01

You can buy a DVD from this place if you don't have a DVD writer on  your machine. My old dell reads/writes CDs but only reads DVDs.

$5.95 + a couple of dollars shipping.

https://www.osdisc.com/products/linux/linuxmint

IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #34 - 03/04/14 at 16:39:38

Thanks oldnslow,that's what I might do. Would it be the mint mate 16 for the 64 bit pc? Also ,thanks,OF for the info!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #35 - 03/04/14 at 16:44:45

Looks like they have all the various Minty flavors, but they are all still at version 16 and you want to wait until late April when they start to sell the DVDs for version 17 (which isn't out yet).

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #36 - 03/04/14 at 17:09:06

I will wait, but is it the 64 bit pc version? Also, my computer is already partioned into c and d drives,will mate automatically create the 3rd correct partition? Also , where will all the hardware drivers originate once mate is installed ,from windows or mate? Thanks!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #37 - 03/04/14 at 18:22:48

If you have a 64 bit processor you can load the 64 bit version of Mint Mate 17 when it comes out in late April.

All drivers in Mint Mate are already hooked up and running automatically when you do the install.  That (along with the fact it looks like XP) is why we picked Mint Mate.

Partitions will remain untouched unless you change them yourself.  If you do it yourself, simply leave some unallocated space for Mint to discover.  If you want Mint to do it automatically it will find the biggest blank spot and suggest it to you.

Since you geek partitions, you can shift stuff around using your favorite tools to make 20-30 gig of unallocated drive space for Mint to find.  I always found I could shrink an old Windows partition that I wasn't going to add anything to enough to put in a Mint partition since the required hd space/size needed by Mint was so durn small.

Linux is TINY ......  all of Mint plus enough expansion room for all you ever need or want in the future will go into 20 gig.  

.....  and this is less room than Windows takes up by itself.

=============

People fear partition work because they have heard horror stories of dead computers.  

You know what really happens?    

The idiot driving the keyboard tells the program to resize the partition in question and ..... nothing happens for a while (the program is busy moving all the scattered to hell and back files over to one side to make room for the resize).  

This takes 15-20 minutes or longer to do, hell a simple defrag takes longer than that on most neglected old machines, but the idiot gets panicky because he doesn't see anything happening .....

Then the idiot driving the keyboard gets all panicky/impatient and cold boots the machine (mangling his file allocation tables by interrupting a partition level activity).

.... oops, dead machine ....

SO .....

Do yourself a favor and defrag and compact any windows partitions that you have before you go trying to do any partition work.    

A fresh defrag and compact job makes for a nice clean quick partition resize job that takes MUCH less time to complete.

And once you hit "go" on the partition shrink -- go to bed for the night. Don't sit there watching at it & getting yourself all jittery and panicky.    

It will finish, eventually.

PS ..... turn off your windows screen saver settings and all your power settings and go to sleep settings, or turn them way way way up so the machine doesn't try to shut itself down in middle of resizing.

« Last Edit: 03/04/14 at 20:15:21 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #38 - 03/05/14 at 04:35:13

Thanks OF ,appreciate the advice!

Saw this article,thought it relevant

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/windows-xp-end-of-life.html

« Last Edit: 03/05/14 at 14:28:46 by rl153 »  
  IP Logged
Gerry

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southwest Michigan
Reply #39 - 03/06/14 at 05:29:08

Update later that same morning  Smiley
I figured it out.  I'm on this forum using the Mint computer now.
Gerry

Hi Oldfeller,
I have been lurking through most of your recent post about OS's and such and enjoying them.  I used to play around with Linux back in the day when Mandrake then Mandriva were common and available distro's.
So I thought I would give Linux another look see and following the link you provided in the beginning of this thread I installed Mint version 13 on my spare newly formatted and new install of Win XP machine.  Updated the XP install as well as defragged the hard drive.  
Now I see that there is a newer version of Mint (16) that I downloaded and burned the image to DVD.
I went to install it with the intent of erasing the Mint 13 partition and installing Mint 16.
Problem is the only options I get in the installer is to erase the entire drive, install 16 along side of XP and 13 or create my own partitions.  I choose create my own partitions and I get into very unfamiliar territory.
Can you offer some guidance for creating these partitions?  I tried to just erase the Mint 13 ext/4 partition and install 16 to the partition but it asks me for mount points and I tried to use / but it doesn't like that either.  There is a long list of mount points in the drop down and I think it wants me to choose and set the size for all these mount point partitions?  I thought it would just be a simple 2 partitions, mint 16 and swap but I am not getting it I guess.  I wish there was jut an option to install the new Mint where the old mint was.
Any ways, thank you for any advice you can give.
Gerry

« Last Edit: 03/06/14 at 07:44:50 by Gerry »  

This message was posted using Google Chrome on a system using Linux Mint 17 Mate
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #40 - 03/06/14 at 09:13:25

Hey OF,

Now that I have my new to me laptop I am thinking of putting linux on my old one. I want to just completely get rid of XP all together and run linux only on it. It is a pretty old machine.

It's an HP Omnibook 6000, when it was manufactured it had come with Windows 2000. (that should tell you how old it is) It has a small 900mhz processor and 256meg of ram with a 40gig hd

As I said, I just want to get rid of windows completely on that machine and run linux only. I have already transferred all my important files to my Vista machine so I have no problem with completely wiping the drive.

Basically, I am looking for advice. Your instructions have been for creating a dual boot system and I would prefer to have a single boot. I am going to use the Omnibook aka Dino-laptop to learn everything I can about linux so that eventually I can give windows the finger all together. I may also once I have learned linux enough, use Dino-laptop as a small server.

So in the immortal words of Johnny-5 "Input, need input."

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #41 - 03/06/14 at 10:10:34

I think you need 512 megs of Ram to run the newest version of Linux Mint. Might be a different/older version that will work on your machine though.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #42 - 03/06/14 at 10:17:27

That's what I was thinking as well. Any suggestions of which version would probably work best?

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #43 - 03/06/14 at 10:32:17

kt97679 wrote on 03/04/14 at 09:00:49:
unetbootin (http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/) can be used to create bootable usb drive.

I did just this very thing with a USB drive, switched from Ubuntu to Mint. I loved Ubuntu 12.04 but this new interface and other problems just took the fun out of it. I did the Mint-Mate-Petra version. Runs a bit faster but the file menus are a huge improvement for me.

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #44 - 03/06/14 at 10:57:14

Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 03/06/14 at 10:17:27:
That's what I was thinking as well. Any suggestions of which version would probably work best?

I don't know anything about these myself, but this link might help:

http://www.howtogeek.com/172987/revive-your-old-pc-the-3-best-linux-systems-f...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/28/24 at 04:15:39

General CategoryThe Cafe › JUSTIN & Linux (sounds dangerous, don't it?)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.