Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
JUSTIN & Linux (sounds dangerous, don't it?) (Read 878 times)
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Re: JUSTIN & Linux (sounds dangerous, don't it?)
Reply #105 - 03/14/14 at 13:46:03

Quote:
So, how do you like what you have seem so far ??

I think it's going to work very well for me. The interface is very XP like and easy to use. The pre installed programs that I've used so far - Libre Office Write, Banshee, and Firefox work just fine and are simple to use for someone familiar with their windows counterparts. Also moved my photos over from the XP side of my machine using a flash drive. The default photo viewer in Mint works just as well as the one on XP. I haven't downloaded an editing program yet. I see that there is a compatible version of Picasa in the software manager list so I'll probably download that.

The Mint desktop isnt as "pretty" as the Windows one and there are not as many built in options to spruce it up but I don't really care about that.

Thank's for the info about the processor. When 17 comes out I may try it sometime down the road, but for now I'm pretty happy with what I've got.

I'm by no means a power user, and I don't care about games. I just want the stuff I do use to work.

I'm curious about what's going to happen with XP. If it's going to blow up as fast and as completly as some people think it will. I'll continue to switch back and forth until something happens. The fact that I have someplace to go if/when doomsday comes makes me happy.  The fact that it cost me $8.20 ($5.95 for the DVD + $2.25 shipping) makes me even happier.

I hate throwing away usefull things. Having my computer become junk just because Microsoft needs me to buy a new one, and because there are malicious a**holes out there who get their jollies from writing code to screw stuff up makes me unhappy.

I'd rather be happy Smiley

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: JUSTIN & Linux (sounds dangerous, don't it
Reply #106 - 03/14/14 at 15:12:39

Appearance stuff for Mate, yeah they got some canned desktops and wall papers and the like, but for the fancy stuff you have to ask the internet for it and they will point you to the correct repositories for all the Gnome Tools stuff.

You can dolly it up as pretty as you want, right up to the rotating cube Comprise interface stuff that I never had any real use for either.

Fancy you can do, it just doesn't come stock that way.  

It comes stock looking like home sweet home to an old XP user .....

Smiley

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #107 - 03/15/14 at 12:01:19

GAMING ON LINUX

I watch Steam weekly to see if any decent Linux games go on sale.  Painkiller has showed up as a Linux Beta (pending fixing the last of the bugs) which was sort of a surprise to me.

Painkiller runs on Unreal Engine #3 and apparently all the work that is being done on the on-line Unreal Engine #4 is backporting into a whole crop of older but goodier full bore type games from the last 5 years or so which were done in Unreal Engine #3 and #4..

As the Unreal Engine tricks all work themselves out to completion, look to see lots and lots of older titles moving over to the Steam OS category.

(.... and to all the Ubuntu based Linuxes, which includes Mint Mate 64 our favorite flavor)

They won't be 100% free, but Steam runs older games on sale at 80% - 90% off periodically which knocks the price down to $5-6 for a full bore major attraction game.  

I can live with that.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #108 - 03/16/14 at 12:05:21

Well, I put $4.99 at risk and bought Painkiller Windows on $4.99 sale, then I participated in the Linux Beta program and my Linux stuff is downloading as we speak.

Why?   Because i want to encourage the rolling of good gaming titles over to Linux.   Of all the money I can donate, this $4.99 has the most potential to do some real good.

Simply rolling old titles over to Linux is a cheap easy way for the game companies (Epic in this case) to make a buck, expand their audience and DO AWAY WITH ONE OF THE LAST MAJOR NAGGING REASONS PEOPLE STAY ON WINDOWS.  

If I could find more first rate titles on Linux (running Steam and Ubuntu/Mint) I would save an eventual Windows 9 license cost as that is the ONLY reason I would ever need Windows again.

Plus, Painkiller is a fairly good shoot'em up game.    

I missed buying Serious Sam on $9.99 sale last month because I didn't have near enough video card to play it.  Since then I caught a open box low profile Asus video card for $22 that will play it at ~ 25-30 frames per second at medium detail levels which is fast/good  enough for government work (or for me anyway).    

Low profile (half height) graphics cards tend not to be uber-powerful on the gaming side of things, but they are quite a bit better than older on-the-motherboard GMA graphics from Intel -- by a whole bunch.

Cheesy

Like I said, for $4.99 I will try to encourage Epic to keep on rolling those old game titles over.

And yes, using Linux and the new graphics card I now have a $102 "in total cost to me" gaming rig that can play recent PC type full bore level games using Steam & Linux Mint Mate 64 bit OS at $5-6 per major game (when the games are bought on weekend specials).

Cheap ofd farts RULE  !!!

« Last Edit: 03/16/14 at 19:54:21 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #109 - 03/16/14 at 19:15:19

Painkiller on Steam/Linux is a real real BETA VERSION, the Logitech mouse controls are still very wacky and very jumpy although the AI and the scenery seems to be OK.    

Don't buy it yet until it goes full release and the bugs are all settled.

Of course it will cost more then, and supposedly I will get the joy of watching them fix all the buggies that we all report.

Step one for me is to substitute a Microsoft mouse that I happen to have on hand to see if the MS drivers are working any better than the Logitech drivers.

Cheesy

I was surprised that my $102 Linux gaming rig was auto-recognised as high level everything in the game's processor and graphics settings.  

I didn't think it would do that as I was only promised mid-range when I bought the card.     (it wasn't real -- the auto-recognize lied to itself)

Wink

It sounds stupid, but helping to fix stuff is part of what makes open source a little more fun than MS stuff.    

With MS you CAN"T fix anything, it just stays broken until the next Windows version comes out.

With open source, you file bug a report and then you see if folks respond, then they say what they did and ask you to try it again to see if it is working now.   You feel like you had a part in getting it right.

Being BETA in a game isn't always flaw free, but it is satisfying after a fashion.

« Last Edit: 03/17/14 at 17:00:32 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #110 - 03/17/14 at 07:35:48

Gaming on Linux through Steam is a work in progress.  

I have bought 2 "full ready" Linux/Steam major game items recently, both required significant tweeking of the in-game parameters to get it to run using the Linux Mint Mate 13 LTS  that I have on my box now.

Fair disclosure, some of these games claim up front that they need more modern Mint versions than I have.   It would be nice if the game developers doing the porting would stick with LTS versions instead of just downloading whatever is current and developing everything for that.    

It is plumb stupid to fully develop a game for a Ubuntu non-LTS version that has only a six month shelf life ......

So, Gaming on Linux still seems to suffer from distro fragmentation even within the very short Mint/Ubuntu kissing cousins range.    It suffers from growing pains as time (as short as a year) moves the environment along far enough that discontinuity comes about between older games and distros and Steam versions.

Steam had a dream, but the dream is flawed because of lack of hard, stable standards between what was written then (6 months ago) and what is here now.

To make this work, Steam needs to sit firmly on their Steambox Standards and not let every fool in the world at whatever distro/version age/performance level download their software.    

It ain't going to work right without a more stable consistent environment.

Or else, like Painkiller, all the Steam Linux games need to be listed as BETA until they get worked out 100% for a closely controlled range of LTS distro versions.

=================

Gaming is still better on Windows right now.  

Roll Eyes

Sorry

Status update:

Painkiller Hell and Dam-it-ation is now running in Super VGA mode (monitor's natural mode) at low spec levels (monitor's natural pixel density) at really fast fight'n speeds.   Game looks good, looks like it fits the screen properly and everything is working like it is supposed to.  

The game is still kicking my butt mercilessly, but I am old and my reflexes are slow ....  

(still learning how to bunny hop sideways and strafe)

Metro Last Light isn't running at all -- wrong Ubuntu base is being used by me (my fault) awaiting next month's upgrade to Mint Mate 14.04 to get "even" spec wise with itself.

« Last Edit: 03/19/14 at 05:10:04 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #111 - 03/18/14 at 17:22:54

Good Old Games, Inc. is a re-packager/seller of old depreciated PC game titles, selling them at the $5.99 price point.

Considering that most games cycle totally out of favor when the follow on game hits the market, this means that a great MANY games out there are depreciated at this point in time.

Since they looked around and saw so many old games being converted to Linux (and since so MANY of the old depreciated games are Unreal Engine 3.0 games) guess who has decided to join into the Linux Gaming efforts?

Yup, GOG is .... and if you read their announcement page you will see just how organized this Linux conversion effort all really isn't just right now.

Wink            

http://www.gog.com/news/gogcom_soon_on_more_platforms

HOWEVER, for every well transferred game GOG is going to make a reasonable buck, and so is Steam for every one of the more current games they take over the wall.    

And so is the original maker of the game.

(residuals must be paid, after all)

This signals that Linux has enough market share to entice commercial enterprise, which is refreshing and good to see come about.

As Windows fails, Linux will begin to gain in more and better this and that.

Linux will begin to see forces asking for DISTRO STANDARDS and adherence to standards will be needed so gaming and other similar items can work better.

As ARM embraces standards so must the very disjointed world of the Linux Distros .....    sorry kiddies, playtime is over

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/27/24 at 07:57:18

General CategoryThe Cafe › JUSTIN & Linux (sounds dangerous, don't it?)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.