Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
JUSTIN & Linux (sounds dangerous, don't it?) (Read 878 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: JUSTIN & Linux (sounds dangerous, don't it?)
Reply #90 - 03/11/14 at 06:16:45

Install disk 2 NOW!

& all ya got is ONE disk?

Maaaan,, that just aint right,, NORMAL, yes, right, No..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #91 - 03/11/14 at 07:09:19

You feelin' adventurous today Justin?    

Grin

I know your disk works right, I'm running off an install from it right now.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Re: JUSTIN & Linux (sounds dangerous, don't it
Reply #92 - 03/11/14 at 09:18:53

OF ,I don't know if this will work ,but I found this article about installing xp without a product key.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6122593_reinstall-xp-product-key.html

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #93 - 03/11/14 at 09:37:53

There used to be a free utility that would print out the key code.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #94 - 03/11/14 at 10:07:23

Guys, once again my installation CD is bad, won't read.   I've got a key code for the bad disk, but what good is it?

I've got XP and Vista laptops, I can get to Windows if I want it ...

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #95 - 03/11/14 at 11:15:20

Naw, man, Im havin a pretty low day.. If Im down to messin with makin a scraper Im not up to much challenge.. I have plenty of projects I could dive into, Im just not interested in much today..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #96 - 03/11/14 at 12:37:18

ok,sorry. I was  trying to determine if  microsoft would actually block you from reinstalling xp by not activating your product key after april, but from the people i talked to, that is not true.

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #97 - 03/13/14 at 15:17:48

There are several methods published on the web to activate XP without MS being involved.

OF...you might be able to find a disk image on the 'net somewhere either pre-activated or use it with your code. (probably a much better idea)

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #98 - 03/13/14 at 15:19:27

Has anyone tried the KDE version of Mint?  I have always loved the KDE desktop since I first used it.  If so, how does it compare, performance wise, with Mint Mate?

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #99 - 03/13/14 at 16:07:34

Steve,

KDE is by its nature very unlike XP,  to almost the same degree that Mate is very intentionally like XP.   So, being a "like XP fan" I can't really answer your question.

It's there if you want to give it a whirl.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #100 - 03/13/14 at 18:19:31

Oh yeah, I know it's completely different. Just was wondering if anyone had any comparisons between the two.

I am sure that KDE is much more resource intensive. I might have to try Mint Mate and see how I like it.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #101 - 03/13/14 at 19:43:45

so best Linux, is now mint mate?

I have a big laptop now, won't have to replace it for gaming for a long time... and i'm thinkin of throwing some minty freshness on this one...going the dual boot route again, but want the best mint for it.... one that can use win office stuff ect....oh and easy play game short cuts

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #102 - 03/14/14 at 08:35:43

Old_rider,

I am not so foolish as to try to tell people which Linux is "the best" as there is no real answer to that question as what is "best" as that is something that is kinda undefined and always changing.

What I shot for instead is "most like XP" and "easiest to transfer over to"  and "has the minimum learning curve for an XP user".  

Any new OS will have differences and some learning to do, but we tried to pick the one that absolutely minimized the shift change.

So far the answer to the "best matches XP question" is Linux Mint Mate 64 bit.   With four people switching over with no issues and no one coming forward with a better XP alternate, it is the one we are going to recommend going forward and try to support as our XP folks roll into the future.

Next month Linux Mint Mate 64 version 17 will come out as a 5 year supported Long Term Support version.   I will be going through this update myself so I will have fresh and totally recent hands on experience with the ins and outs of it.

So, if you want to you can experiment with Linux all you like, there are many many versions out there and you can have some fun with it.

However, for those who want to have a relatively painless switchover from XP (which is dying next month) to Linux Mint Mate which will continue on in 5 year long chunks way out into the future we as a group can support you in doing that.

================

Why should you make a dual boot with Mint Mate as soon as the LTS becomes available?

Rumor has it that XP will be attacked with exploits that are intended to kill it inside the first month of unsupportedness.   Why would somebody want to do this?   They want your money, either for "fixing it" or else get you to go buy an new machine.

If you set up your current machine as dual boot machine and use Mint to do most of your internet cruising and save your XP installation for use only with the things that require it, your odds of having your XP survive a lot lot longer go way way up.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #103 - 03/14/14 at 10:13:19

0f

Couple of questions. I installed the 32bit version of Mint Mate 16 'cause the XP I'm running is 32bit - XP Home edition service pack3.

Should I, could I, have installed Mate 64 bit instead ?

What's the  difference? Advantages?

My processor is an Intel Pentium Dual E2140 1.6 GHz

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #104 - 03/14/14 at 12:46:18

You did the right one -- a pentium isn't a 64 bit chip if my memory serves correctly.    I did the research and my memory sucks, your chip is a 64 bit chip and you can load a 64 bit distro if you want to.

http://hothardware.com/Reviews/Intel-Pentium-E2140-Dual-Core-Processor/

https://www.google.com/search?q=is+Pentium+E2140+Dual+Core+a+64+bit+chip

5-10 years ago I would have said "no real difference" but there are programs out there accessing 64 bit addresses and a whale of a lot of more modern video chips and video cards are 128k wide now days.

Modern softwares (and most Linux distros) are 64 bits wide now -- you can still get 32 bit modded distro versions (using older bits and pieces and the PAE extension tricks) but they are becoming scarcer and scarcer.

This is one of the reasons you didn't see a great big move to adopt ARM on Linux until it got up to the true 64 bit level.

So, how do you like what you have seen of Mint Mate so far ??

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/09/24 at 17:41:20

General CategoryThe Cafe › JUSTIN & Linux (sounds dangerous, don't it?)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.