Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Send Topic Print
JUSTIN & Linux (sounds dangerous, don't it?) (Read 878 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: JUSTIN & Linux (sounds dangerous, don't it
Reply #45 - 03/06/14 at 12:03:13

Since your machine is that old and that low on resources you are not going to be able to run a modern full distro like the rest of the XP people should be able to do.

Yep, the three extra small distros mentioned post above will fill your bill though.   Not going to look like XP though, going to run simpler interfaces and simpler programs.

Puppy is a good oldie goldie, but Barry Krauler got old and has just quit supporting the distro again (got sick and retired from it again).  
Somebody else will pick it up, I am sure.

Can't really speak to the others ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: JUSTIN & Linux (sounds dangerous, don't it?)
Reply #46 - 03/07/14 at 21:22:32

Okay.. I got the CD.. actually, coupla days ago, but, we had been outta power for 2 days & I was sore & worn olut from finishing the generator installation. I hung a coupla outlets in a weatherproof enclosure on the back wall & ran wires to the breaker box & installed 2 20 amp breakers. Up & down & up & down on the washer to get to the breaker box, hada peel paneling & put a 2X6 between studs to hang the box to. Still havent put the piece I sliced off back, face plate is still offa the box,, Ive just been too pooped to even get the tools put away..
BUT, I am ready for instructions on what to do with this CD. If theyre here already, just quote it into place. Thank you, thank you,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #47 - 03/08/14 at 04:27:05

Justin,

If your PC is in working shape, is plugged into the internet and has a hard drive installed in the case, just stick the handwritten DVD in the drive and turn on the machine with a cold boot.  

Let it boot off the DVD.

Write down your start time because we are going to have us a little a contest to see who can get up and running the quickest.

Be patient, it is reading an entire operating system off the DVD drive and putting it all together (it does this a lot faster off your hard drive, so don't judge things  just yet).

Meet Olivia, alias Mint Mate 64 bit version 15.

http://www.tecmint.com/linux-mint-15-installation-guide/

Here is the detailed installation guide, which you need read and follow except for the two slides I list below because I want you to do something different when you get to them.

When you get to the formatting section (Installation Type) you gotta think some.   If you are actually using the new drive you talked about, follow the instructions as stated.

If not and there is other operating systems on the drive you want to keep then choose Dual Boot selection (not shown in the example given).

==============

Who ARE You ???   screen requires some thought.   First, keep your name and your password VERY SHORT & VERY EASY to type.  

Some folks use a single letter or their initials or something else very easy to deal with.   Why?   You type it in every time you want to change the system so the machine knows its you instead of a worm or a virus.  

This gets bad if you use too long of a name and password -- on my first shot I was typing in my full name all the time (which is too long) and a full 8 digit password which got sorta old too.

Plus, since nobody told me any better I left the wrong radio button clicked and got hit with a full log on screen every time I cranked the machine up.  And every time I farted.   And every time I breathed.

SO, click Log In Automatically down at the bottom so you don't get hassled all the time.

When you reboot after install and get your desktop back, note the time again and figure out your total initial install time.

===========

JUSTIN, remember to STOP AND ASK before doing stuff that gives you a speed bump.   Like I said, these screens will be different for each machine as the choices are generated off what equipment you have in your box.

If you are really using that empty drive, then you really can't make a mistake that can't be fixed by a simple re-installation.  

If you are working with the drive that has your old windows on it, move a little more carefully as you want to keep your old windows in one piece.

« Last Edit: 03/08/14 at 06:07:46 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #48 - 03/08/14 at 06:03:04

So, at this stage we got a half dozen folks who are into Mint Mate of various older versions.

As you version swap in the future you will learn these tricks, so I though I'd mention them now.

Your favorite browser has a way of exporting bookmarks and settings, learn how to use it, create the backup file or export file or whatever the hell else they call it and put it on a thumb drive that you use just for migrating from one machine to the next.

On your desktop put a folder called Kelly's Stuff (or you could use your name if you wanted to).   I like to use Kelly's Stuff 3-9-14 as the folder name as it includes a date stamp which means on my thumb drive i now have a series of date stamped folders that keep all my stuff time coordinated on the backup drive.

Use this rolling folder (with sub folders if you have lots of stuff) to hold all your data.

Periodically copying Kelly's Stuff to your thumb drive is a smart thing (this is called backing up your data files in case you haven't ever done that).

Once a month or so, copy it over again to the thumb drive to keep it current and keep it safe.

Now, when you upgrade your Linux every few years you ALREADY HAVE all the stuff you wish you'd saved before upgrading.  

It's right there on your thumb drive.

Size of thumb drive does not need to be killing big.   Linux is TINY -- files are tiny too.   I used a 2 gig thumb drive for a lot of years until my wife needed it, then I upgraded to 4 gig next time I went to WalMart -- of which 88% of the 4 gig is still unused.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #49 - 03/08/14 at 06:28:49

I told you Linux Mint Mate 64 can really look a lot like XP.    

Yes, it can.

This is what I set mine up to look like for my wife -- she occasionally complains my Word menu isn't set up like the ones at school and I tell her I'm not spending $300 just to upgrade stuff for some silly menus.

She is actually using Linux Mint Mate 64 Olivia and Libre Office with all the save defaults reset to be the MS standard extensions  .ppt, .doc and .xls.    

She goes on Drop Box and gets her work files, opens them, works on them and puts them back on Drop Box.

Only complaint she has so far is PowerPoint doesn't always keep the formatting exactly right (she has to tune it a bit at school).

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Gerry

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southwest Michigan
Reply #50 - 03/08/14 at 07:29:51

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 03/08/14 at 06:28:49:

She is actually using Linux Mint Mate 64 Olivia and Libre Office with all the save defaults reset to be the MS standard extensions  .ppt, .doc and .xls.    

She goes on Drop Box and gets her work files, opens them, works on them and puts them back on Drop Box.

Only complaint she has so far is PowerPoint doesn't always keep the formatting exactly right (she has to tune it a bit at school).

I did not give Libre Office a chance.  I have been using Open Office for the last few years.  I did take a look at Libre yesterday but just a passing glance and I then went online and downloaded Open Office (or Apache Open Office as it is now called) to install on the Mint machine.  Which brings me to one of the things about Linux that has always bothered me... why is it not just a simple matter of clicking on the download and installing?  Seems Windows uses .exe as well as other programs to install where Linux does not?  So after some Googling and finding some step by steps that were close I got it installed.  Had to do something to remove the symbolic link to Libre that did not work so I then discovered the method for removing Libre completely (although I did want to keep Libre Office to check it out more) and installing Open Office... all by using the terminal and a little bit of typing and using the correct syntax and changing directories and so on and so forth.  Got it done but was not really easy.  My fault really if I just leave well enough alone.  But I'm always dinking around it seems.
Now I need to figure out to connect the Mint machine to my printer on the Windows network.  I have done this before but I have forgotten all the terms used in the Linux printer setup and what my network calls them and put the two together to get Linux to see the printer.
Gerry

This message was posted using Google Chrome on a system using Linux Mint 17 Mate
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #51 - 03/08/14 at 10:34:28

Im not yet exactly at the top O my game, & when I AM, its not where I was just 5 years ago. So,, If you dont mind, I would appreciate you PM'ing me your phone number so I can talk to you while I do this. Im not ready today, Im still kinda beat. I will be loading onto the existing hard drive for now. Once we get the hang of it, & can do what we need to do, then Ill get a new drive, I just want this old Bugged up one gone, I know, it doesnt sound reasonable, maybe its not, I just want it that way,,, call me weird,, Ill never say youre wrong.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #52 - 03/08/14 at 12:34:02

I did not give Libre Office a chance.  I have been using Open Office for the last few years.  I did take a look at Libre yesterday but just a passing glance and I then went online and downloaded Open Office (or Apache Open Office as it is now called) to install on the Mint machine.  Which brings me to one of the things about Linux that has always bothered me... why is it not just a simple matter of clicking on the download and installing?  Seems Windows uses .exe as well as other programs to install where Linux does not?  So after some Googling and finding some step by steps that were close I got it installed.  Had to do something to remove the symbolic link to Libre that did not work so I then discovered the method for removing Libre completely (although I did want to keep Libre Office to check it out more) and installing Open Office... all by using the terminal and a little "bit of typing and using the correct syntax and changing directories and so on and so forth.  Got it done but was not really easy.  My fault really if I just leave well enough alone.  But I'm always dinking around it seems.
Now I need to figure out to connect the Mint machine to my printer on the Windows network.  I have done this before but I have forgotten all the terms used in the Linux printer setup and what my network calls them and put the two together to get Linux to see the printer."
Gerry

=====================

Gary,  your distro installs Libre Office by default because Open Office was controlled for a while by Oracle and the guy who runs Oracle, Larry, was an arsehole who was then currently suing Google and others over some of the stuff he had just bought (in a patent troll type of action).    

Sun had given FOSS clear permission to use Java and Larry bought it and then immediately sued Google over Android using something like it (and lost, BTW).    

All of FOSS immediately forked all the softwares that Sun used to support (that Larry and Oracle had bought with the ghost of SUN) and all of FOSS disavowed any and all of the original Sun stuff that remained under Larry's control.   Open Office is one of those items.

NO DISTRO HAS USED OPEN OFFICE AT ALL for several years.   Larry then attempted to off-load Open Office but nobody would take it, so he tried to give  it to the Apache Foundation who didn't want it either.    

But "technically" Open Office is running now under the verbiage of an Apache type license now (if you can trust Oracle that is).  

Apache does not maintain or own Open Office, just think of it as Larry's people using Apache's good name to front continuing playing their crappy little games and you won't be too far off the mark.    

Watch out, Larry may want to charge you for Open Office upgrades somewhere out into the future .... he copies the improved code from Libre Office and then charges businesses for the "support" for Star Office (Sun's old commercial version of Open Office).

So Open Office still exists, and if anyone trusted Oracle or Larry any at all to get themselves gone and STAY GONE the two forks might eventually come back together again some day under the original name.  

But, right now Open Office is mostly dead and Libre Office is very much alive and still being developed.  

And that is how it will stay.

======================

Next, Gerry, you need to learn to use the Mint Software Manager.   (under the little gear Menu left hand bottom corner)

All of this sort of software is specifically tweeked for the Mint distro and is maintained by the Software Manager where you select what you want and it goes and gets it for you (along with all dependencies) and installs it for you.   With just one click.

But you won't find Open Office in the Software Manager -- for reasons listed above.

==========

Justin, you got a pm.

« Last Edit: 03/08/14 at 16:27:56 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #53 - 03/08/14 at 14:26:30

I am extremely confused here OF. I want to download linux puppy but what the hell? There are so many files, do I download them all and put them on a disk or what?

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #54 - 03/08/14 at 16:24:52

I offer advice on Linux Mint Mate 64 bit version 17 -- what you do with them odd functioning puppy dogs is up to you.

(I could never get Puppy to work right either).

Find the Ubuntu Puppy fork and download that one ISO image.    

You got a skidilion versons of Puppy now, you just need to pick ONE of them and download the ISO and burn it to a CD.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #55 - 03/08/14 at 16:33:02

Do you think ubuntu will work on my machine?

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #56 - 03/09/14 at 04:43:10

Puppy is ODD -- it is built from scratch by a crew of Australians and New Zealanders that used to be led by Barry Krauler before he retired yet again.

They all had obsolete machines (and I mean DOS level old machines).   They wrote a crop of Puppies that would fit their machines.

I looked at the site yesterday and there is still a whole litter of puppies over there of all sorts and descriptions.   One of these was an Ubuntu Puppy, but it was noted as as being a porky puppy.

=======================  

More organized Ubuntu based (for very old machines) alternatives

http://lubuntu.net/

Lubuntu is one of the skinniest semi-official Ubuntus out there.    It will fit your machine's specs but you have to have PAE on your machine.   It is LXDE based as are all of the very light distros.

This Ubuntu based distro is so far off from normal Ubuntu function-wise it got cut loose by the main group to become an independent spin as NOTHING MUCH IS LEFT UNALTERED in order to get Lubuntu that durn small.    But the documentation is very well done since at one time it was an Official Ubuntu distro, just the very skinniest of them.

Lubuntu is your "good shot" at a semi-official Ubuntu that will fit your machine -- be aware that the supporting group is now very small like the distro is small, but all the stuff on the web site certainly remembers being an officially supported branch of Ubuntu.

====================

Peppermint is another independent LXDE spin of Linux Mint/Ubuntu that can run very light on resources.  One of its main tricks is to get you on the web then use somebody else's server power to do most of your heavy lifting.   Because of this trick Peppermint can do a lot your machine by itself really can't possibly do, but once again it goes far far far away from the standard distro it came from in how it utilizes exterior server power for extra speed and processing power in normal functions.

http://peppermintos.com/about/

System Requirements for Peppermint Four
Here's what you'll need to run this distro:

Absolute Minimum:

192 MB of RAM
   Processor based on Intel x86 architecture
   At least 2 GB of available disk space

Recommended Minimum:

512 MB of RAM
   Processor based on Intel x86 architecture
   At least 4 GB of available disk space

However, Peppermint always struck me as being well organized and about as well maintained as a dozen people can possibly do.    They keep all their development stuff out on the pages so you can get involved with what's what as they do it.  

I think a Peppermint question will get answered.

I think Peppermint got started up about the same time Lubuntu got cast out of the Ubuntu family tree as they were all getting pretty far from the Ubuntu tree at that time.   Peppermint will run on your low hardware level, supposedly, and it HAS the documentation level you will need.   Peppermint is noted for being quick and easy enough to learn, but learn you shall as it is a different approach to the web and computing.

Wink

Note:   some folks will say that Chrome OS was a reconsideration of some of the ideas behind Peppermint and some folks will say that Peppermint was a reconsideration of some of the ideas behind Chrome OS -- both use the web (and all those super strong server farms) to energize their speediness.   I think Chrome OS does a more seamless job of it since Google actually owns the server farms they use to superpower Chrome OS.

============

So, here are two Ubuntu based distros you can try that seem to have the internal organization level that the whole litter of Puppies seem to lack.

Beyond this, I can't say -- I intend to support folks on Linux Mint Mate 64 bit as after all my looking it is the best XP replacement out there that looks and works most nearly like XP (least surprises, least learning).

But you need 512k of systems memory and a 600 mhz to 1 ghz Athlon processor to run it well enough.   It will run with less, but not well.

Folks tend to forget that XP started out as a 32 bit only Pentium class operating system and the early early machines sometimes only had 256k of systems memory.

« Last Edit: 03/09/14 at 06:06:29 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Gerry

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southwest Michigan
Reply #57 - 03/09/14 at 06:51:06

Thanks OF,
yes, I did go into the software manager and was surprised that Open Office was not there.  Now I see why.  I have always liked Open Office, especially after MS was practicing for the Win 8 F-up by bringing in the ribbon bar format to all their office products.
I think I can use the software manager in Mint to re-install Libre and it will manage the installation for me and allow Open Office and Libre to play side by side.  I will then be able to take a longer look at Libre.
Thanks again OF,
Gerry

This message was posted using Google Chrome on a system using Linux Mint 17 Mate
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #58 - 03/09/14 at 09:38:35

I'm following along,... hoping to see a successful, non-geek, acclimate to Linux... but, I'm not optimistic...
Best luck, guys...

I'm riding XP into the ground... then I'll re-install ride it down again...
I hate change... Angry...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #59 - 03/09/14 at 10:15:33

Well,, Rowboat, Im gonna give 'er a go.. Im with ya on that "change" thing,, 'Bout 33 years a go, when I was single, goin to college & 'puters were just hitting the scene good, the geeks at school would be huddled around a table ( the ones who werent huddled around discussing their all  important Dungeons & Dragons life, talk about a waste of time!) & theyd be talking about how to make a computer do this or that & it was all G(r)eek to me. I decided I would wait, let them get the early bugs worked out, get the things all running on one system, you know, like video tape had to shake out, 8 tracks died, we had cassette & HEY, everyone ( dummy!) KNEW that was the final format.. Boy, I didnt see lasers that would fit in a handheld device reading tiny pits in a spinning disk coming,, Nope,, didnt see that one comin At ALL..
Anyway, I was gonna learn computers, when the Changes slowed down,,so that what I learned yesterday would still be relevant tomorrow.,.& theynever slowed down enough or looked to have reached a point to where I felt like I had a chance to get in & "get it", That we have OF here & that he knows what he knows is just , well,, way cool.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/11/24 at 09:16:26

General CategoryThe Cafe › JUSTIN & Linux (sounds dangerous, don't it?)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.