Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Send Topic Print
JUSTIN & Linux (sounds dangerous, don't it?) (Read 878 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: JUSTIN & Linux (sounds dangerous, don't it?)
Reply #15 - 03/02/14 at 06:52:13

Just fired that off, Mang,, WOO HOO what a great deal thatd be if this works out,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #16 - 03/02/14 at 07:36:39

Where I am getting jumpy is my email deep dark pit at work.  I am on outlook, I think using PST files, and I have oodles of folders, sub folders and sub folders of subfolders, some with the same names as subfolders under other subfolders and some maybe on different planets.
I here that Thunderbird (the email that comes with Mint?) doesn't like the concept of the same named folder existing in more than one place.
OF, any comments or suggestions?

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: JUSTIN & Linux (sounds dangerous, don't it
Reply #17 - 03/02/14 at 13:13:55

Justin,   your snail is mailed.   I double stamped him to get him to slither to you a little faster (catch a fast ride on a turtle or something).

You got a sampler disk with several distros to look at and the handwritten disk is the stuff I am using right now (recommended for best support).

=================

Youzguyz, I don't know about that locally loaded email stuff any more, I have a mail.com account and a gmail.com account -- I've been in the cloud for email for so long I don't even remember how the old local loaded stuff even worked.

Since I am recommending that you do a dual boot (keep your old windows intact and in one piece) I guess you would just have to reboot and go to your old stuff and get it when you needed it.

You could set up Thunderbird or any of the other Linux email clients and you could import your old stuff.   Or you can move your email to the cloud with a gmail.com account or a mail.com account.

I don't have any email issues because keeping mine in the cloud means I can get to my email from any pc anywhere or from a phone if I need to.

(and yup, there's an android app for that)

My email set up meets the Big Three Criteria.   (Free, easy, robust)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #18 - 03/02/14 at 13:54:00

Youzguyz

If you're using Outlook, it has a few options for exporting your mailbox.
If you're using Outlook express...there's nothing.  You will have to remail it to yourself or lose it.

If you're on a MS Exchange server, your mail is probably stored on the server.  But, I don't know of a good Linux Exchange client. Exchange can do POP3 but you lose lots of the fancy Exchange features. Your company may or may not allow that.

Course you could possibly run Windows in a VM and have real Outlook that way if you had to. I don't know if Outlook will run under Wine or not...never checked.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #19 - 03/02/14 at 15:35:49

Well, here is the operant theory anyway.

XP is going to lose close support from MS next month on the 8th.  
When this happens, things may become dicey with XP unexpectedly at any time.  

Or it could run smoothly for months and years, it all really depends on what you catch out there on the web.

To give you a second PC home to fall back to (just like the list has a backup list in case of emergency) I am going to coax any of the XP persons out there through a dual boot set up on Linux Mint Mate 64 bit version 17 aka 14.04 or Querida (or something that starts with a Q and ends with an a).

The only benefit from all of us being on the same distro is close support in case of questions (there will be many, I am sure).

Ubuntu will drop their general release version of 14.04 on April 17th and Mint turns theirs loose a day or so later.

This will be a 5 year supported Long Term Release which is carefully tuned for stability and no bugs.

I have had good luck simply going from Mint Mate LTS to LTS as I am not looking for great exciting change, but instead for just keeping up with the codex and driver changes in the industry fairly closely and primarily really really wanting ROCK SOLID performance and no hassles.

Mint Mate LTS gives you all the modern graphics and codex and various proprietary drivers properly cooked into it from the very beginning AND it gives you ease of use.  

Plus it looks and tastes a whole lot like XP, which is very much on purpose I suspect.

By following along and setting up a dual boot machine, you will not lose any of your old XP functionality or saved files or anything else -- until it dies a normal death by root kit or whatever.   You will be able to select Win XP at the boot prompt and all will be unchanged when the boot finishes up.

Until the inevitable finally happens and something munches your XP stuff beyond redemption.

Then you reboot, tell it to go to Mint Mate and roll on ....

You will find you quickly become able to do most all things just about as easily on Mint Mate as you could on XP.

You get to keep the best of both worlds while you are learning, which makes it about as painless as it can be done.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #20 - 03/02/14 at 19:45:32

You got me messin' with Linux Mint tonight.... going to download some pics and see about editing them.... Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #21 - 03/02/14 at 20:45:58

OF,my computer is an emachine, i bought reconditioned in 05, amd  althon64 processor , XP.Will linux definately run on it?

IP Logged
Kirill Timofeev
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 03/02/14 at 21:10:36

Linux itself is not resource hungry. Graphical environment can be. So if you would install Graphical shell with lots of visual effects you can experience some lagging.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #23 - 03/03/14 at 05:16:06

My old white box was a first generation Athlon (the very FIRST true 64 bit processor rah rah) and it ran Mint Mate just fine for many many years.

Folks run Mint on some very old slow hardware, much older and slower than yours.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=628

Kirill hit the nail on the head, if you stay away from complex 3-D graphics super-intensive programs, you are fine.   What kills you there is the graphics as you are likely resource sharing with a minimal on-board video system on any of the e-machines.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #24 - 03/03/14 at 19:00:49

this is a helpful tutorial I think,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLdqNVusyIo

IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #25 - 03/03/14 at 19:27:38

I have a question. When I download that mint mate file , do I save it to my computer ,and then burn it to a dvd? or is there something else involved because it is an ISO file? Thanks!

Mint Mate is the version I should use ,isn't it?

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #26 - 03/04/14 at 05:36:22

An iso is an image file of a disk. You'll need software that knows how to write an iso to disk. There are thousands of files in that iso file. Most any cd/dvd burning program can handle it

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #27 - 03/04/14 at 08:12:37

I have the original nero software that came with my computer . Do you think that will do it?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #28 - 03/04/14 at 08:45:15

Nero will burn an iso image to a DVD if you have a DVD burner.   Remember to do your chksum to make sure it all got there.

..... see you are learning new geeky stuff already.  

Iso image and chksum are geeky new stuff and how to burn an iso image to a DVD.   If you get stuck, holler.

Smiley      of course it would be nice to know which version of Nero you are talking about since their menus are all different.

http://www.wikihow.com/Burn-ISO-Files-on-CD-Using-Nero-6.6

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Kirill Timofeev
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 03/04/14 at 09:00:49

unetbootin (http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/) can be used to create bootable usb drive.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/27/24 at 17:47:09

General CategoryThe Cafe › JUSTIN & Linux (sounds dangerous, don't it?)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.