Send Topic Print
oil change=overfill (Read 970 times)
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: oil change=overfill
Reply #45 - 06/19/13 at 19:38:10

I just grab the bike with my two hands, pick it up to eye level, and take a peek in that little window.  When I was younger I lifted it up to eye level with my left hand and poured the oil in with my right hand.  Isn't that what Suzuki had in mind with the window business? Wink

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #46 - 06/19/13 at 20:26:24

"Now, if you really feel that Suzuki had "all knowledge" when they put the bike together in 1987, then you should never need a verslaggy, your carb should never need tweeking and your petcock should be immortal.  Good luck with that, some like Bill still do feel that way. "

And then there is the other extreme, broke it before it left the lot on the day it was purchased...   Lips Sealed

On sidestand, at the low line, cold, should work for most. Try it, worst case, you get an oil leak (or 10). Mine wants 2 quarts, period. On a chunk of 2x4, that shows as overfilled.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #47 - 06/20/13 at 01:47:25

ears ago I overfilled (3 qts?  Shocked) because the oil check window was dirty and I simply didn't know how much oil I had in there.

Unlike an automobile engine, overfilling in a big single pretty much equates to killing the crankcase.

In an automobile engine, 4-cyl. onwards, some pistons go up as other pistons go down;
this means that, overall, the "free air" volume available to oil and its vapors inside the crankcase remains consistent throughout all four cycles.

Enter the big single; it only has ONE piston, so when that big boy goes up, crankcase volume is "x";
but when the piston goes down, crankcase volume will be reduced by anything up to 50% (in a dry sump engine) or 35-40% (in a wet sump engine such as the Savage's.
Do not let the external volume of the engine case fool you, I do not know if the gearbox is in the same "environment" as the crankcase, regardless of the wet clutch...

So, if you overfill, you rob vital space to the piston's downstroke, the air therein and oil vapors are compressed to an excessive degree and the crankcase gaskets go "boom".
It doesn't matter if we have an oil breather pipe off the head, the oilways are too thin to allow for that kind of compensation, and it isn't their job, anyway...

So, I ride with a .5 liter bottle of oil in my saddlebags, and check the oil +/- once every week, and top up with whatever's needed ON A COLD ENGINE.

Cool

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #48 - 06/20/13 at 05:47:55

Your points given do apply to overfilling the sump by 3 quarts, but they don't apply to the extra half quart the list method includes on purpose.

The space below the oil shelf is for oil, it is the "designed oil reservoir" if you will.  The fact we use it all is nice because it allows us a very easy oil check method and a half a quart of extra reserve oil.

At three quarts overfilled you had the crank counterweight splashing through the oil pool for over half its revolution -- yup, I bet that put some nasty stress on things other than just your gaskets.  And I bet you had some continuous frothing going on sorta like a milk shake machine.

Since the list method keeps the oil out of the crank area (no splashing) I fail to see how it does any of the things you mentioned.

Newbies do all sorts of strange things to their bikes when they are new, I do love reading about them all.

As you understand more over the years then you can learn some new tricks that really do help out the engine.   And the sidestand check method comes in real handy when you get enough miles on your engine to start sipping oil all the time -- the sidestand check allows you to check oil easily every time you stop and it keeps a little more oil around to be sipped upon.

Just this past week I went to the Dragon with the boys again -- started the week out peeping over the edge of the window, finished the last run with it NOT peeping (but when I lifted the bike vertical the oil was still in the window).   So I was able to go the entire trip sipping on my extra oil and never got low at all to the old Suzuki method.

Now, gentle reader -- if I had started out with using the Suzuki method and then failed to check it every day what would I have run the risk of ????   Dead engine on the Dragon ???  Now that would suck a lot .... really.

Old list members understand relatively more and they do the things this particular bike needs to live longer/better.

REMEMBER TO DO YOUR HOT CHECK ON YOUR OIL BRAND AND BIKE AT LEAST ONCE, and if you don't understand the concepts then please don't do these sorts of advanced tricks.  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
B.J. and Jo

Colorado Springs, CO.
Reply #49 - 06/20/13 at 06:22:06

Routy wrote on 06/19/13 at 18:03:34:
I myself better see the oil level on the low line while on the side stand, when I walk by my bike (cold) But I am not telling you to do it that way.
I for one dropped my bike while trying to check the oil Suzukis stupid way, and that ain't gonna happen again ! I never see a drop of oil under my bike doing it this way, yours mite be different.

Thanks your way makes sense but just didn't understand the "HOT check" procedure, now I have a clue, again thanks! I was doing it the way Suzuki says but I noticed once that there was a little, "rattle", (went away fast!), when I was "warming" it up to check the oil level. It hasn't happend again since.   Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 18:50:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › oil change=overfill

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.