Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sticking front brake caliper (Read 131 times)
PhantomII

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tampa, FL
Sticking front brake caliper
06/19/13 at 04:39:01

I just changed the front brake pads on my 1999 Savage and they seem to be sticking like the caliper isn't releasing correctly.  I picked this bike up really cheap and mechanically it is in excellent shape but it looks like the person that owned it before me lived by the beach because it is covered in rust.  Is there a way to clean the brake caliper to get a smoother operation?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Sticking front brake caliper
Reply #1 - 06/19/13 at 04:57:27

You can take it apart, clean everything and remove an corrosion on the piston or caliper, then lightly lube things with silicone grease.  If the parts are corroded and the plating is gone.....the corrosion will probaby return pretty quickly if the bike is stored outdoors or gets wet often.  The only bad thing about taking it apart to clean it.....is you will have to bleed the air out of the caliper when it is put back together.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #2 - 06/19/13 at 06:08:49

you will also want to replace the caliper piston seal. Mine looked decent after I replaced my pads but I couldnt get the piston back in the caliper to save my life, once I replaced the seal it went in like butter.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 06/19/13 at 08:04:16

That caliper is supposed to "Float" on 2 pins. The piston presses on the back of one pad & at the same time the caliper body moves away from the rotor, pulling the pad on the opposite side into contact with the rotor.
If the caliper cant freely move on those pins, it wont release right. If the piston doesnt easily move in its hole in the caliper, it wont release right.
You should be able to gently pry on the caliper in such a way as to drive the piston on into its hole, creating some slack. If you do that & you cant manually slip the caliper back & forth on those pins, lube them up & work it till you can OR, take it apart & clean them up & lube them. I am a fan of antiseize.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
heroicseven

oops, I broke it.

San Diego
Reply #4 - 06/19/13 at 12:45:42

my caliper was doing the same thing last week. I opted for a full caliper overhaul. Sounds intimidating but its pretty easy.

I ordered new rubber bits from the internet and new dust seal and o ring.

I found that most of my issue lie under the dust seal. the recess behind my dust seal had corroded terribly and put pressure on the piston not allowing it to slide freely.

so after taking everything apart cleaning it really good with a toothbrush (bristles cut for more scrubbing power) and a mixture of brake fluid and brake parts cleaner. My caliper was working good as new.

Dont forget the caliper grease. If you do youre gonna have a bad time.

P.S I also went ahead and installed a stainless braided line while i was at it.  Grin

00' raptor - supertrapp - 52.5 - 155 - half spacer - versaved
  IP Logged
PhantomII

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tampa, FL
Reply #5 - 06/19/13 at 17:42:57

I was able to get it working correctly I took the caliper off the bike and gave it a good cleaning.

IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Reply #6 - 06/20/13 at 06:09:47

heroicseven wrote on 06/19/13 at 12:45:42:
my caliper was doing the same thing last week. I opted for a full caliper overhaul. Sounds intimidating but its pretty easy.

I ordered new rubber bits from the internet and new dust seal and o ring.

I found that most of my issue lie under the dust seal. the recess behind my dust seal had corroded terribly and put pressure on the piston not allowing it to slide freely.

so after taking everything apart cleaning it really good with a toothbrush (bristles cut for more scrubbing power) and a mixture of brake fluid and brake parts cleaner. My caliper was working good as new.

Dont forget the caliper grease. If you do youre gonna have a bad time.

P.S I also went ahead and installed a stainless braided line while i was at it.  Grin

all of this is correct...but...
in the spring I did a full repair the brake caliper, but a couple of days ago, he gave me like a nasty surprise. disassembly and cleaning not given positive. all the parts work very well, but the brake caliper not release the brake pads. the reason was deformed(very slightly) plate no. 11 on the picture.

this plate is not allowed to smoothly move the brake pads..I carefully lined its surface. why this plate was deformed, I don't.

Yeah, it's not bigtwin, but it is the best half of it
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 05:26:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Sticking front brake caliper

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.