Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Picked up a new to me Savage! (Read 235 times)
Uppercut
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Easton, MA
Picked up a new to me Savage!
06/17/13 at 16:53:11

Hello everyone! I have been lurking these boards for a few weeks, ever since I decided a Savage was the bike I was looking for for my girlfriend's first bike. I really appreciate all the effort that's gone into some of the guides and info on this board.

Anyway, I picked up a 1996 Savage for a steal. It needs a bit of work, I think, but it doesn't seem like anything major. I cut my teeth on bike wrenching a few years ago with my first bike, a 1984 Honda CB650. As far as I can tell, the Savage is going to be a lot simpler to work on than the Honda.

I guess this post is to introduce myself, and to get some info on whether I'm heading in the right direction. The bike seems very temperamental, sometimes it idles good, sometimes it takes a whole lot of throttle to even start it, the usual fueling issues for a bike that has sat for a while and probably wasn't properly maintained.

Today, I ordered a Raptor petcock, new air filter, a carb rebuild kit, oil filters, and gaskets for the clutch cover. I'm planning on taking a look at the timing chain, and probably ordering a slavvy tensioner. (What's the typical turnaround on those things?).

Planning on pulling the carb off and inspecting and cleaning everything. Now, since I have the carb apart, but still have stock exhaust and air filter, should I do anything with the jetting or the white spacer at this point in time? That was one thing I couldn't really figure out from my browsing the forum. Keep in mind, I'm not too concerned with getting improved performance, I just need it to be reliable. This will be my girlfriend's learning bike.

Another thing I noticed is a lot of crud and oil collecting on the fins around the engine block. Is this because of that leak in the head I keep reading about? Is this a big deal? I'm not sure if pulling the head off is something I want to tackle at this point in time.

Anyway, that's that I guess. Thank you for any information!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Picked up a new to me Savage!
Reply #1 - 06/17/13 at 18:28:52

Welcome to the Savage world....and to this forum.

Definitely clean the carb.  Tell us the elevation you ride at, and where you live......that will help us make an informed decision on jetting suggestions.  Update your personal information to show the city and state you live......you might just find a Savage owner that lives close by and can help.  Clean the engine and watch to see where the oil come from, and that will help identify if the problem is the head plug.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 06/17/13 at 18:32:25

I would go ahead and do the white spacer mod while the carb is apart.  That mod did wonders for my bike.  If you don't have a small impact driver it would be a good idea to get one from Harbor Freight, it really makes taking the carb apart easy work.  When you reassemble the carb use some stainless socket head screws if you can find them.  Also make certain to line up the tab on the top rubber diaphragm carefully will the little shallow notch cast into the carb body so you have a tight seal.  That's my 2 cents worth. Smiley

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 06/17/13 at 18:37:21

don't do anything until you know you need it

WWW   IP Logged
Uppercut
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Easton, MA
Reply #4 - 06/17/13 at 19:14:35

Thanks for the welcome!

Yea, I already know about replacing the screws in the carbs with socket head cap screws from the Honda carbs, ugh. Actually just picked up an impact driver today for working on the bike.

I live in Southeast MA, which is apparently only around 100ft above sea level, so definitely no high elevation issues here.

Verslagen, I need to email you about your tensioners!

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 06/18/13 at 13:51:07

Even with stock airbox and exhaust, you'll run into low elevation issues. The stock jetting works great once you clear about 2500' above sea level, at sea level, it's pretty lean. Mine spent it's first year and a half at 10' above sea level, Long Beach MS. Exhaust had the telltale solid blue/purple/gold of a too lean fuel system within a couple months.

Only fix what appears to be critical... brake shoes/pads, tires, properly lubed and adjusted cables, lighting, etc. My bike is 15 years old, has been beaten on unmercifully, and still has a bit of cam chain tensioner life left, enough to wait for the Forum Wide party in Sept in west TN. And yes, you and your "chew toy" are invited. Pop the cover off, measure the extension, and let Verslagen know, he'll tell you if it is time or not. We'll fix mine at the get together, I may have all its other issues finished up by then...

1996 model is pretty decent. The older ones, pre-S40, actually seem to have fewer bugs than the newer bikes. Which is rather odd, the only real change has been seating options, handlebars and an extra lighting circuit...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Uppercut
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Easton, MA
Reply #6 - 06/18/13 at 15:16:23

Well, the exhaust is definitely that wonderful shade of blue/purple. Also it backfires like a gunshot when you turn the ignition off.  Would you still recommend I don't do anything with the jetting at this point taking that into account, or am I just getting ahead of myself?

Maybe I'm just trying to take care of too much stuff at once.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 06/18/13 at 15:26:34

verslagen1 wrote on 06/17/13 at 18:37:21:
don't do anything until you know you need it

Quote:
Well, the exhaust is definitely that wonderful shade of blue/purple. Also it backfires like a gunshot when you turn the ignition off.

I'd say now the time.  give the idle mixture screw a 1/4 turn ccw.

WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #8 - 06/18/13 at 15:52:59

Agreed, idle mixture screw for now, save any other carb tinkering beyond cleaning until you start monkeying with the exhaust and intake tract.

I'm running way too fat of jets for where I live, 420 feet above seal level. Fuel economy suffers, the bike smokes like an old diesel, kind of a "gurgling" exhaust note... Needs to be dialed back a couple steps. It is far too easy to over jet one of these bikes. Don't upsize until you absolutely have to.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Uppercut
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Easton, MA
Reply #9 - 06/18/13 at 15:57:47

Ha, I forgot to add something, ugh, I'm terrible at this. Yesterday I was tinkering with the bike and tried adjusting the idle screw, and the bike didn't seem to respond to anything I was doing. Which is why I'm going to be pulling the carb apart. I guess I was just wondering if there was something I should do while I was in there. But from what it sounds like, I'll just clean it out and then see what kind of adjustment I can get with the idle mixture screw. Seems like this carb is pretty easy to get out anyway.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #10 - 06/18/13 at 16:42:34

Easy to remove, compared to the carbs on an Intruder 800, yes. Rather a pain in the butt to install if you don't pull the airbox out of the way. I tend to fold up both boots, get the carb roughly in place and then fight the boots back onto the casting.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Uppercut
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Easton, MA
Reply #11 - 06/18/13 at 18:51:19

So, uh, this is interesting.

I was feeling ambitious so I went outside and started pulling things apart. I got the carb off and disassembled. Now I'm still not too clear as to which jet is which, but I have 4 jets that I took out.

Pilot jet - 52.5
Pilot air jet - 45
Other big jet - 230

Now, this next jet, which I'm pretty sure is the main, may be the cause of my problems? It says 195!  Shocked !

Isn't this stock supposed to be 145? Now, I know someone in the past has worked on this, as it had clear urethane fuel lines, which SUCKED to pull off of the carb fittings, and the float bowl screws were replaced by socket head cap screws. What kind of symptoms would I see with a jet this big? Running extremely rich? Could it be why my idle screw mixture adjusting wasn't doing anything? Advice please!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 06/20/13 at 03:35:00

Here is a link to the stock carb specs that is located in the Technical Section.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1098869040

If the jet is a Mikuni jet and not some wackky Dyna Jet number.....then it is waaaay too rich.  For stock bikes with stock air boxes it should be a #150.....or maybe a # 152.5.

I had great luck on mine with a #50 pilot, #150 Main and only 2 washeres on the needle instead of the 3 that are normally used.

IP Logged
Uppercut
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Easton, MA
Reply #13 - 06/20/13 at 05:20:48

Yea, I kind of assumed someone did something pretty stupid with the carb. The bike is stock. I already ordered a new 145 and 150 jet, since they were cheap enough. I'll compare the mikuni jets I get to the one that was in there, shall see if there is a big difference.

Also, when I took apart the needle, there was a very thin metal washer, maybe .010" thick. Anyone know where in the assembly this goes? I didn't see one in any pictures of other peoples' assemblies.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 06/20/13 at 05:41:37

I belive that one washer goes under the clip on the needle, and then what we do on top of the needle affects how far the spring pushes the needle up.....and changes the midrange fule ratio.  Normally the plastic spacer is on top of the needle clip - however we replace it with two or three washers. (2 makes the mixture richer than 3)

Go to a parts diagram to see how the assembly is supposed to be:
http://www.hondaofflorence.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=432120&catego...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 04:52:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Picked up a new to me Savage!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.