SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Re: oil change=overfill
Reply #30 - 06/18/13 at 06:21:14

I already did !

And I take PayPal !

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #31 - 06/18/13 at 07:10:42

has to do with where choo choo goes.

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #32 - 06/19/13 at 06:10:29

OldFeller and Routy both get their $50.  Smiley   Just fly over and get it ! Get it ?  Cheesy

No, really, the list method appears to be an ingenuous system at first, but if we consider that many sidestands will gradually list more and more as the bike gets older...
...geez, my bike is 25 years old and I'm the 6th owner, I don't know what the original list was! So a "worn" list reading may give a false (low) reading, leading to overfill...

My intent is to find a way to either:
- get a dipstick somewhere in the belly of the crankcase, or
- get a larger window there where the original window is, so that reading oil level may be easier.

One idea I came up with was to remove the oil window and replace it with a "J" shaped "elbow" so that one could use a dipstick.
Not necessarily a screw-in dipstick, even a normal plug-in dipstick might to, as a thermometer/dipstic as well.

This would allow the rider to sit, balance the bike with his legs, reach down and take a dipstick reading.

Cool

Now, do THAT and you've got my attention !!!

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #33 - 06/19/13 at 06:17:35

For what you want, drill a hole below the oil level, tap it, put in a fitting that leads to a piece of clear plastic pipe, aim the pipe up and put some sharpie pen marks on it for low and high.

Or ..... just look at the sight glass while on the side stand.   ANY amount of oil showing is good to go, providing your hot test agrees that your particular brand of oil and its expansion rate keeps the oil level inside the window while hot while running when held upright.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #34 - 06/19/13 at 06:18:29

I am not so old that I can't grab the front fork and the rear shock and hold the bike upright while I take a look at the sight glass without dropping it.

I also can run the bike into a Harbor Freight wheel chock that holds the bike upright and look at my convenience. Takes all of 30 seconds. Life is not complicated. Cool

http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcycle-stand-wheel-chock-97841.html

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #35 - 06/19/13 at 06:21:51

The window is an improvement over the old Suzuki method....which was a threaded screw in the side of the cutch cover.  You would remove the screw and then tilt the bike upright.....and if the oil flowed out of the hole the level was OK.  You had no idea if the oil was too full or how much it might be low.....other than by leaning the bike more left or right to try and guess.

I am OK with the site glass.....but then my bike is pretty new and doesn't use much oil,  and I am still nimble enough to get down on my knees and look at the window.  This may become harder as me and the bike both age.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #36 - 06/19/13 at 06:27:22

In a few days I will be 69 and I have not reached that point yet. Cool

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #37 - 06/19/13 at 06:49:18

Good for you.   We polled the list once and found 10 people who were willing to admit to having dropped (or almost dropped it and hurt themselves some while catching it) their bike while checking the oil using the Suzuki method.  

I also agree the owners manuals are not consistent with amounts to do an oil change and also folks who fiddle with shocks & tires really need to do a hot test to verify their new oil level is OK for them to use with their own favorite oil brand.

We also have several people per summer who kill their engine running out of oil because they used the Suzuki check method (which gives a very minimal oil reserve amount compared to the list method).

Now, let me break away from these factual statements up above and offer up a thought -- if 25%-30% of the list uses the list method and has no oil use or oil blowing or oil anything due to using it and it does give extra reserve oil capacity to keep engine death at bay -- why wouldn't you at least try it?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #38 - 06/19/13 at 07:56:11

I check my oil every 100 miles ridden. It does not consume any but I don't ride that hard, no interstates. I rarely get over 55 with the occasional 60 mph burst. I have always been very religious in my maintenance and keeping things to what the factory specifies. I always pay attention to detail. I do a general inspection before every ride and check tire pressure and bolts weekly. I have never had a problem doing it. Cool

I have never turned the bike over or even came close. When I get to where I can't control my bike it may be time to retire from riding. Huh

Keeping a higher level of oil than what the factory specifies may be for the people who don't pay attention to detail and neglect proper maintenance. Since I don't belong to that crowd, I will continue with what I have been successfully doing since 1958.  Smiley

I know, I'm no fun at all, I haven't blew one up yet. Shocked

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
B.J. and Jo

Colorado Springs, CO.
Reply #39 - 06/19/13 at 11:42:12

Huh Ok, I hate to admit to being dumber than a box of rocks but I'm confused!!

Do I look for a slight bit of oil in the site window, on the sidestand when COLD or HOT??? Why Couldn't I just fill the oil level in the site glass, a small bit above the top line when standing up and hot and accomplish the same thing, ie: a bit more oil in the motor??   Embarrassed We ride our S40 double up and at times at interstate speeds, we put between 100 and 200 miles a weekend on it, FYI. 2009 with less than 2000 miles on it, bought it in March with 317 miles on the clock.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #40 - 06/19/13 at 12:46:49

The handbook does suggest checking hot or at least warm. The level should be between the small dots cast into the cover beside the window. I have found it easier to get a block of wood about two and three quarter inches high and six inches square and put this under the stand. This supports the bike in a near vertical position. Another member sits on his bike and uses a telescopic mirror to check his level.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #41 - 06/19/13 at 13:04:27

God knows theres been enuff discussion,......and explanation on it.
Do it "your" way.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
B.J. and Jo

Colorado Springs, CO.
Reply #42 - 06/19/13 at 14:17:58

Routy wrote on 06/19/13 at 13:04:27:
God knows theres been enuff discussion,......and explanation on it.
Do it "your" way.

Maybe that's the problem, too much discussion so it's confusing to us noob owners!!!!!! Shocked I NEED to know IF you use the "SIDESTAND" check do you look for the oil level to come slightly over the bottom of the site glass, when it's COLD or HOT! Tell me that and I'll never bother anyone again!

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #43 - 06/19/13 at 18:03:34

I myself better see the oil level on the low line while on the side stand, when I walk by my bike (cold) But I am not telling you to do it that way.
I for one dropped my bike while trying to check the oil Suzukis stupid way, and that ain't gonna happen again ! I never see a drop of oil under my bike doing it this way, yours mite be different.

Rich
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #44 - 06/19/13 at 18:41:41

The side stand method works either hot or cold.  It doesn't matter.

What you do need to do at least once is the specified hot check to make sure your oil level is appropriate for your shocks and your bike.

Newbies get confused, it is part of the learning experience.

Hot check is a one off test to verify your chosen brand of oil doesn't over expand when filled to peep up over the bottom of the oil window when resting on the side stand.  Your test is to set the oil level cold, then the hot test is to do a vertical check when idling hot.  The expanded oil should be below the upper edge of the window.  This verifies your running oil level stays below your oil shelf.

Now, if you really feel that Suzuki had "all knowledge" when they put the bike together in 1987, then you should never need a verslaggy, your carb should never need tweeking and your petcock should be immortal.  Good luck with that, some like Bill still do feel that way.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 06:07:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › oil change=overfill

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.