Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
2009 Boulevard bogging down and dying (Read 688 times)
wernwilk
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: 2009 Boulevard bogging down and dying
Reply #30 - 10/21/12 at 16:49:03

Guys,

firstly it seems I have upset some people on here by having multiple threads, for that I aplogize.  I am not familiar with forum to be honest.

Back to the latest suggestions.  
I have had the carb apart and cleaned out thoroughly and am positive there is nothing in the carb but gas.  
The Flow from the new raptor petcock is good to the eye, (not very scientific I know), when the carb bowl drain is open and the petcock is on the flow is good.

The emissions are at present all disconnected and the carb inlet blanked off.  The breather pipe for the gas tank is removed for testing also.

It is only at when the bike is in top gear and has been at WOT for a minute that the problem occurs....that made me think of fuel starvation as if the carb bowl can not fill up enough at WOT to keep up with demand.
The bike coughs dies and when I roll to a halt the engine will idle and run after a matter of seconds.

Apart from supply and float level I am a bit stuck to be honest.
I will be trying the electrical cutouts (side stand and clutch) to rule them out also but the its odd that this would only happen at WOT.

Its very frustrating to say the least.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #31 - 10/21/12 at 17:16:26

Look in the tech section for Serowbots petcock test. Go step by step. From what Ive heard, it is a very comprehensive, well thot out test.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #32 - 10/21/12 at 17:28:40

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/21/12 at 17:16:26:
Look in the tech section for Serowbots petcock test. Go step by step. From what Ive heard, it is a very comprehensive, well thot out test.

He's got a Raptor on it now... so, flow shouldn't be a problem...
(This is why we like all the info flowing in one thread... nobody's upset... we just cornfuzed  Grin..)..

When you cleaned the carb,.. did you take the top off, and clean the silde?... they tend to gunk sometimes and get sticky...
Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
wernwilk
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #33 - 10/21/12 at 18:00:44

Just been out with the clutch and sidestand switches taken out of the loop to eliminate them.
Still the same result, WOT about 85mph and it dies, like its run out of gas....it does not stop the motor and when clutched it will cough, stumble and pick back up again after a couple of seconds...then the bike seems to run ok again aside from the odd pop here and there that was not there before the cut out.

I've had the slide out a couple of times....it all seemed nice and free.
I removed the plastic washer while I was in there last time and it all seemed good as did the diaphram.

Does anyone else think perhaps float height/fuel level?

IP Logged
wernwilk
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #34 - 10/21/12 at 18:05:33

as I mentioned, my friend had an engine swap on this bike due to excessive metal fillings present in the top end.  He swears that the bike did not show any of these problems before the change and that the problem has been becoming more and common with time.
The gas cap always gave that little squeek even before the engine switch and its all been stripped and was spotless in there.
otherwise I would suspect the cap for sure, when the bike has died before I have tried it with the cap on and off with the same result.

Just some extra info. for the problem.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #35 - 10/21/12 at 18:27:19

Run it till it stumbles, shut the fuel off,Hit the kill switch, coast to a halt, Drain the bowl into a measuring cup. Find out how much fuel is in the bowl when it cuts out.

Thats just me,, that mite be dumb, IDK..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
J C Stokes

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #36 - 10/21/12 at 18:35:52

Does it run ok continuous at 75 to 80 mph indicated?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #37 - 10/21/12 at 19:03:12

Don't know how to fix it,... but I'm riveted to the thread...

Can't wait to find out if it gets fixed before he gets a speeding ticket from all these 85mph test runs...
Grin Grin Grin...

Just had to say it... Huh...

IP Logged
wernwilk
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #38 - 10/21/12 at 19:38:18

Ha yes I too am worried I will get a ticket before its cured...the things you do for friends huh?

I do believe it runs ok and continuous at 70-80...it seems to be that last bit of time running wide open that kills it.

Is the running gas out of the float bowl the accepted way to measure the fuel level, if so how much should I be looking for?

Also, I think I am going to get back into the carb again tomorrow to double check everything and go through it one more time.

Can anyone tell me if the plastic floats are in anyway adjustable?

Thanks.

IP Logged
J C Stokes

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #39 - 10/21/12 at 21:09:16

Just being stupid, but have you removed the tank, put in 1/2 a gallon of petrol, put the cap on, turned the petcock off and sloshed hell out of the tank and drained quickly it through the cap. This is a try oysters try anything type of test.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #40 - 10/21/12 at 23:27:52

As far as I am aware,.. all the floats are brass...
There is a niddly-piddly measurement,.. but,... basically, you just want to get them horizontal to the floatbowl plane... (that would be at the pivot point)...
There is no adjustment screw or anything... you just bend the contact tab that raises the float needle to adjust...

With the bowl removed, blow into the fuel line,...(you'll feel air passing through),.. then slowly raise the floats with your finger until your breath is blocked... that point should hold the floats horizontal at their pivot point, (no more no less).. or parallel with the top of the bowl...
Bingo...  that be good...Grin...

IP Logged
wernwilk
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #41 - 10/22/12 at 08:35:43

The floats are definitely plastic with all plastic fittings, I am familiar with the brass type that you adjust by bending the small tab....I am 99% sure there is no adjustment on this bike as the tab is even plastic.

I will do the horizontal check as suggested here.
When checking the fuel level as posted here previously, I assume you upright the bike, put the clear hose on the carb drain, open the screw and should get a reading level with the gasket surface on the carb?  
Is this correct?  If so and its not where it should be, how is it corrected or is this simply a measurement of how much fuel is getting into the float bowl via the petcock?

Also, regarding the suggestion of putting in 1/2 gallon of gas, sloshing the tank then draining out through the cap....is this to ensure the tank is clean?  I was curious what this procedure was for?

BTW - the tank has been drained and cleaned out previously and was indeed clean to start with.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #42 - 10/22/12 at 09:55:45

I'm beginning to wonder if you are dealing with an aftermarket carb...
Can you post pics?... Huh...

IP Logged
J C Stokes

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #43 - 10/22/12 at 10:49:06

Ok, if you are sure the tank is clean don t worry about sloshing it.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #44 - 10/22/12 at 11:00:15

I wonder if you cleaned your carb - did you take out the filter that is on top of the seat for the float needle?  It has not caused a problem for anyone yet - but you may be the first and this may be limiting the flow to your float bowl during high speed runs.  It is part # 20 in the diagram with the link below:

http://www.hondaofflorence.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=432120&catego...

I have set my float to the prescribed level - and it does not come up to the gasket level.  If I put a clear tube on the float drain my level is about 3/16" down from the gasket.  I will take a picture of it tonight and post it......I don't think the float tab can be bent far enough to get the fuel level up to the gasket with the bike sitting level.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 12:29:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 2009 Boulevard bogging down and dying

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.