Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
time for another rebuild; parts swap (Read 181 times)
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
time for another rebuild; parts swap
10/09/12 at 10:15:29

So I f-ed up again and am in need of another rebuild. I'm interested in finding out what kind of parts are interchangeable with the savage. Not directly of course, but what can be made to fit? I have seen a few sportster tanks done and Cavi Mike is using one off of a GS, but I am (re)building a bobber/brat so i'm not into the cafe style of the GS. I'd rather not use a sporty b/c every bobber made has one and I want something that sits low to the back bone. I do have access to a welder and am quite competent with it. I'd rather only have to do simple things like add a tab for mounting, not cut the tank in half and stitch it back together. Also, only looking to spend around $100. Anything more than that and I could find a reasonable condition stock tank.

Anyway, I'm interested to hear your suggestions/experience. I'm definitely looking to do this type of rear fender and these bars. I made a side mount license plate/taillight, Harley bullet headlight mount, springer seat.

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

'03 Savage bobber. Rebuilt too many times.
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Re: time for another rebuild; parts swap
Reply #1 - 10/09/12 at 10:20:05

The main problem I have with my GS tank is how long it is. I have the tank almost jammed against the stem but it still pushed my saddle a couple inches further back than what I would have liked and it screwed up my lines a little bit. I wanted my saddle to fit down in the dip of the backbone but even with a short 13" saddle, my butt has been pushed much farther back than I hoped. I'm still debating on cutting the rails and completely redoing my saddle mounts.

IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #2 - 10/09/12 at 11:17:24

I do like the way that tank looks on yours. It is hellishly long tho. I was considering an old dirt bike tank. something like an old 500cc tank would still have decent capacity too. Im assuming anything with a wider back tunnel would work well to accommodate the frame rails.

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #3 - 10/09/12 at 14:08:03

The reason everybody uses Sporty tanks is because they're easy to make work.
My Saga tank(kind of like the Mustang tanks) I had to cut the backbone out and raise it for it to clear.The problem is in our frames.Where it Y's it hits the back of aftermarket tanks.Plus unless you find a used tank cheap they average around 150 bucks new.
If you look close you can see where I had to modify my frame.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #4 - 10/09/12 at 18:36:05

yeah, thats what I have figured out so far. most tanks have a single tunnel. I would imagine a sportster tank might take some persuasion with a BFH to be wide enough. some jap tanks have a wider tunnel in the back section. I'm just looking for ideas.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 10/09/12 at 19:01:11

& how did that work out?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #6 - 10/09/12 at 20:58:10

it was thrilling..

Also, I'm looking into what other rear shocks would work on the savage. I know the RYCA uses longer shocks, but with a bobber, I would want stock length or shorter. I can get Harley parts fairly cheap used. any recomended varieties?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 10/09/12 at 21:38:20

So,,, what wuzzit happened that now you hafta do more work?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #8 - 10/10/12 at 05:07:22

The Sporty tank sits on top of the frame rails.No need to make it fit. Wink

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #9 - 10/10/12 at 08:58:24

Skidded rear, nailed a curb and highsided. I only managed some bruising, a dislocated thumb and pinched nerves in my neck, which is good considering that i ended up in the grass 40ft from impact. There is no substitute for a full face helmet. The bike is all smashed up: bent forks, bent rear shock (somehow), sheared the stop off the neck tube, and broken headlight, handlebars, tank, rear fender, taillight, turn signals, etc, etc. Good news is it still runs, frame is straight and wheels are true. I'll put pics up on a build thread at some point, or if this turns into one.

But Justin, do I really need a reason to rebuild? Cool

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 10/10/12 at 09:19:46

groupus wrote on 10/09/12 at 20:58:10:
Also, I'm looking into what other rear shocks would work on the savage. I know the RYCA uses longer shocks, but with a bobber, I would want stock length or shorter. I can get Harley parts fairly cheap used. any recomended varieties?

can't say for shorter, but the progressive suspension 412-1005 that fit's on a sportster is ok if you're a light weight.  at 240# I was on the max setting.  and it's 11" long, 1/2" longer and 1/2" more travel too.

WWW   IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #11 - 10/24/12 at 08:22:23

FYI, honda rebel shocks are 10.5 inches and have have the same eye style as the savage and harleys. I couldn't tell you if the hole diameter is the same, but it is something to consider. Also, moped shocks are an option for shorter shocks.

I also just happened across these. Has anyone ever considered using the dogbone suspension linkage from a sport bike as hardtail struts? Could be an interesting option for people without the means to make their own struts. They vary in length but are about 6-7 inches long. And they're aluminum so they are light and you can polish them to be all sorts of shiny, if thats your thing. Real cheap too.

IP Logged
misterbbq

Acworth, GA
Reply #12 - 10/24/12 at 09:23:15

groupus wrote on 10/10/12 at 08:58:24:
Skidded rear, nailed a curb and highsided. I only managed some bruising, a dislocated thumb and pinched nerves in my neck, which is good considering that i ended up in the grass 40ft from impact. There is no substitute for a full face helmet. The bike is all smashed up: bent forks, bent rear shock (somehow), sheared the stop off the neck tube, and broken headlight, handlebars, tank, rear fender, taillight, turn signals, etc, etc. Good news is it still runs, frame is straight and wheels are true. I'll put pics up on a build thread at some point, or if this turns into one.

But Justin, do I really need a reason to rebuild? Cool

woah!  glad you're relatively ok!

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #13 - 10/24/12 at 09:50:59

groupus wrote on 10/24/12 at 08:22:23:
I also just happened across these. Has anyone ever considered using the dogbone suspension linkage from a sport bike as hardtail struts? Could be an interesting option for people without the means to make their own struts. They vary in length but are about 6-7 inches long. And they're aluminum so they are light and you can polish them to be all sorts of shiny, if thats your thing. Real cheap too.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/06-07-KAWASAKI-ZX-10-Shock-Linkage-Dogbones-/00/$(KGrH...

Way too short unless you do some heavy modification to the frame. My links are 8-1/4 inches and my tire is 1/8" from the frame.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 04:29:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › time for another rebuild; parts swap

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.