Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
2009 Boulevard bogging down and dying (Read 688 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: 2009 Boulevard bogging down and dying
Reply #15 - 10/19/12 at 21:21:30

When disassembling things with small parts/springs inside, first, sweep the area, get it nice & clean, so if anything hits the floor, it wont be just one of many things on the floor. Then, place a towel below your work area, so, if something hits the floor, it wont bounce & roll a mile. Then, if ya do drop something, be quiet, be still & Listen.If you hear nothing, it stayed on the towel,otherwise, whatever you hear is the part you need, escaping. Hope you see soimething moving & hear something at the same time,, Some people cant do anything w/o their "music",, I recommend a nice, quiet workspace for such a project. If something gets away, move slow, be methodical, carefully examine the towel/rag whatever you used.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
heroicseven

oops, I broke it.

San Diego
Reply #16 - 10/20/12 at 01:29:53

tighten the battery leads? I recently solved a "complex electrical problem" by just going back to the battery and cranking down on the battery leads.

00' raptor - supertrapp - 52.5 - 155 - half spacer - versaved
  IP Logged
wernwilk
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 10/20/12 at 04:35:53

thanks for the suggestions.  To re-iterate, the biggest concern for me immediately is the bike dying....which is sounding more and more electrical....however there was a reply on here suggestion the charcoal cannister, venting problem....

so i am torn.

(Also checked battery terminals as matter of course before)

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #18 - 10/20/12 at 08:00:04

I think you should kill one thread & just work out of one,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #19 - 10/20/12 at 18:58:10

wernwilk wrote on 10/20/12 at 04:35:53:
thanks for the suggestions.  To re-iterate, the biggest concern for me immediately is the bike dying....which is sounding more and more electrical....however there was a reply on here suggestion the charcoal cannister, venting problem....

so i am torn.

(Also checked battery terminals as matter of course before)

My rebel would just up and die, in traffic at 50, 60 miles an hour. It seemed the faster I went, the issue was more acute. If you do in fact have a canister, if the bike has CARB stuff from the California market, then it does. The fuel tank vents through it, and since its restricted, it keeps fuel from flowing freely into the system. You said the bike has a rebuild on it, I believe. If that's the case you could have had oil sucked into the canister from blow by, once its in there, in can not be removed.....that was the case of my rebel. The service guys in Washington had no idea that my Washington bought new bike had CARB on it, but I guess Honda makes them that way at time of manufacturing if they think that market might have the demand, if not I guess they just release them to other states not so stringent about emissions. By my own detective work I found the problem on my bike, removed the line going into the canister, from the fuel tank, and it died no more....
But I got a C40 instead of fixing the canister  Grin

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
wernwilk
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 10/20/12 at 19:48:01

Ok so latest update.
The bike is not running lean anymore, I returned to the stock air cleaner and its running much smoother.

As for the cutting out problem...I totally removed the hose from the tank that goes down to the cannister.  I then removed the purge hose that goes into the carb and capped off the inlet into the carb.  So effectively taking the whole cannister system and its hoses out of the equation.

Took it on a ride...within 2 miles on the freeway at WOT it died down again, the engine didn't stop this time, I clutched it to the side and after a few seconds of coughing and spluttering it started to run fine again, I could rejoin the freeway and rev through the gears up to speed again..

I have not yet ruled out electrical problems either but it seems odd that its only at WOT that the problem occurs now.  
I am thinking perhaps the fuel level is wrong and causing starvation at high speeds/throttle opening.
When I had the carb apart for cleaning I noticed that the floats are all one plastic piece...am I right in thinking that these are NOT adjustable.

If so how do I check and correct the fuel level?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #21 - 10/20/12 at 20:16:11

either go to one thread or handle it on your own, Im done,.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Re: S40 dies on road.
Reply #22 - 10/19/12 at 20:47:50

Do the Petcock test, found in the Tech section.

IP Logged
wernwilk
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 10/20/12 at 04:30:01

already fitted raptor petcock.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #24 - 10/20/12 at 06:56:38

When it dies, will the starter turn it over Right Then or do you have to wait?

& How long till it will restart?

IP Logged
wernwilk
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 10/20/12 at 16:32:42

starts immediately.....turns over right away too.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #26 - 10/20/12 at 16:43:53

Can ya haul the clutch in & hit the starter while its rolling to a halt & it turn over? will it start?  

If so, Im thinking youve got a spider in the bowl,or enough crap in the exhaust to shut the motor off because it cant exhale.

IP Logged
wernwilk
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 10/20/12 at 19:52:30

The bike did not die this time, just stopped revving and would idle with the clutch in whilst rolling...after a 2nd or two of spluttering the bike would rev fine and take off through the gears...its like fuel starvation at WOT...new raptor petcock on there, fresh carb strip and clean, gas cap checked and clear.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #28 - 10/20/12 at 20:15:08

This may not be your problem, but I had a similar issue when I first changed to the raptor petcock on mine and I did a fuel flow test on the petcock and found it to be severely diminished.  Turns out that during storage at some point a bug had crawled up inside the petcock before it was sold to me.  Once I took apart the petcock and found said bug and removed it all was fine and issue went away.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #29 - 10/20/12 at 20:15:20

Youre absolutely certain there is nothing in the bowl but gas? Based on what youre saying, Id have to drain the bowl into a glass, drop the bowl & cast my eyes upon it,

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 12:42:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 2009 Boulevard bogging down and dying

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.