Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 28
Send Topic Print
Double RYCA build Mar 2019 updates (Read 17413 times)
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Re: Double RYCA - new info - lights, 12v jacks, mu
Reply #270 - 10/24/12 at 10:35:39

misterbbq wrote on 10/24/12 at 10:33:43:
Gyrobob wrote on 10/23/12 at 20:56:52:
Big milestone yesterday.  The Double RYCA Build metamorphosed into the Double RYCA Ride.  It was, as they like to say today, awesome.  We rode around for about an hour on the roads south of Newnan and Peachtree City.  

One of the things that gave me goosebumps was hearing two 650cc thumpers (not muffled very well by the RYCA-supplied EMGO mufflers) accelerating hard side by side, matching shifts, with the RPM very nearly the same.  The noise is pure music.  Sometimes the noise is such that you can imagine each piston going up and down in perfect formation with each other.  Other times they were slightly out of phase so there was a dissonant kind of resonance that would slowly roar in and out of phase.

Cool.

haul those bad boys up here to acworth!

waffle house will be my treat!!

Great idea!  I'll get with Jud when he's back in town.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Re: Double RYCA - new info - symphony
Reply #271 - 10/26/12 at 04:44:43

Yesterday I had the first situation with parts falling off the bike.  When I got back, the upper thumbscrew for the right sidecover was gone, and the right sidecover was loose, just being held in place by the bottom thumbscrew.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Double RYCA - new info - symphony, part fell o
Reply #272 - 10/26/12 at 05:45:32

They vibrate pretty hard. Ive seen Why they break license plates,the fender was swinging side to side so hard I had to look twice, I thot my eyes were lying to me,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #273 - 10/26/12 at 07:20:59

Old rubber covered sealing washer work great to secure those screws.

WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #274 - 10/26/12 at 09:34:05

verslagen1 wrote on 10/26/12 at 07:20:59:
Old rubber covered sealing washer work great to secure those screws.

I agree,.. but I only have three thumbscrews now, though.

IP Logged
misterbbq

Acworth, GA
Reply #275 - 10/26/12 at 10:56:18

thought of you guys when i saw this one craigslist:

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/mcy/3366420337.html

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #276 - 10/28/12 at 19:13:22

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/26/12 at 05:45:32:
They vibrate pretty hard. Ive seen Why they break license plates,the fender was swinging side to side so hard I had to look twice, I thot my eyes were lying to me,

I felt the side covers on the next ride, and they really do vibrate a LOT!!  There is some sort of resonance at certain rpms that is pretty impressive.  I wonder how many RYCA bikes have lost their sidecovers.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #277 - 10/31/12 at 19:47:38

The EMGO muffler in the RYCA kit is not a muffler.  It is a noisemaker.  The fiberglass "packing" in the thing is almost as durable as toilet paper.

I tried replacing the packing with stainless steel packing and it was still too loud, and was forcing all the exhaust to flow through one perforated cup.

I added a sink strainer mod at the outlet of the muffler, and that helped a little,.. but the situation with the packing was still worthless.

Now, I have taken out all the packing, and added two pieces that redirect the flow so that the noise has to go into the muffler, pass from the inside to the outside of the core, then back into the core, then back out, then back in, then through a technologically advance sink strainer to further disperse the noise, then out.  The principle is to send the sound waves through different compartments with different sound properties to dampen out the sound without simply trying to absorb it.

I tried it out this morning.  It works.  Yay.  The tone is still manly, but the horrendous obnoxious harley-like CRACK is not there.  At full throttle it is still pretty throaty, but not as loud.  During normal acceleration in traffic, the exhaust noise is tolerable, and sounds nice.  I don't feel like I am pissing off everyone within 100 yards.

Here's what EMGO calls packing.  That is a thin layer of fiberglass loosely held in place with some safety wire.  That stuff was gone within 20 miles of the first ride and the noise was even louder.

Here's what it looks like with the packing gone and the two pieces I made to make a packing-free muffler.  
-- The outer ring has a few small holes in it, and is to be welded to outside of the perforated core.  
-- The washer I am holding is a concave washer with a four 5/32" holes drilled into it in addition to the original center hole, and is to be welded to the inside of the perforated core.  
-- The concave washer is supposed to act like a crude parabola to reflect the noise wave back up the pipe, like Flowmaster does in their high-flow mufflers.  
-- Not shown is the sink strainer to be MIG welded on the output end of the assembly.

Here's a drawing of how the exhaust flows.  The blue parts are what I added.

Here's what it looks like after a 50 mile ride.  From left to right:
-- sink strainer
-- about 4" to the right of the strainer, the original perforated cup inside the perforated core.
-- baffle around the outside of the perforated core, a very large washer MIG welded to the core.
-- concave baffle MIG welded inside the perforated core.

End view showing the concave baffle (washer) MIG welded inside the core.

The whole shebang inserted in the muffler shell, with a good view of the sink strainer MIG welded on the end of the baffle assembly.

Fully assembled.

« Last Edit: 11/05/12 at 05:21:31 by Gyrobob »  

IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Re: Double RYCA - new info - muffler mod
Reply #278 - 10/31/12 at 20:35:13

I like your solution, Gyrobob.  I had that Emgo muffler on my non-Ryca Savage and had to retire it because it was just obnoxious loud and raspy after my repacked fiberglass blew out (again).

This makes the baffling design more on the order of the Dyna mufflers.

Back in the 70's, I rode a Ducati single with a small can muffler that had a similar baffle and it had a surprisingly good tone and lack of raspiness for such a small muffler.

The only issue I see with this is possible bluing of the cheap Emgo chrome where the exhaust gas gets forced out of the core and out against the outside of the muffler.  Time will tell, I suppose.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #279 - 10/31/12 at 21:39:21

bobert_FSO wrote on 10/31/12 at 20:35:13:
I like your solution, Gyrobob.  I had that Emgo muffler on my non-Ryca Savage and had to retire it because it was just obnoxious loud and raspy after my repacked fiberglass blew out (again).

This makes the baffling design more on the order of the Dyna mufflers.

Back in the 70's, I rode a Ducati single with a small can muffler that had a similar baffle and it had a surprisingly good tone and lack of raspiness for such a small muffler.

The only issue I see with this is possible bluing of the cheap Emgo chrome where the exhaust gas gets forced out of the core and out against the outside of the muffler.  Time will tell, I suppose.

Thanks for the comment.

I, too, had a single cylinder Ducati.  My first real motorcycle,... in 1964.  A 1962 Ducati Monza 250.  It had a "Silentium" muffler that was not all that silentium.

I agree,... the chrome on the EMGO is likely to get rather colorful soon.  I had a Jardine on this bike when it was a Savage, and it also had blues, browns, and ambers on it.

« Last Edit: 02/25/13 at 10:26:34 by Gyrobob »  

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #280 - 11/01/12 at 05:07:41

This is a great adaptation.......and very creative.  I applaud you for not wanting to be that obnoxious loud motorcycle that people glare at as your ride by.  I live 2 miles from a 4 lane highway out in the country.  I can hear the loud motorcycles and trucks without any form of workable muffler out on that highway, and I wonder why they want to be so darn loud?

« Last Edit: 11/01/12 at 07:00:30 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #281 - 11/01/12 at 07:56:46

That atlanta cafe built savage - Looks great ... but I know how it will handle, and a cafe is supposed to be what a sportbike isn't. A canyon racer taken to the ultimate extreme.

I cant seem to get over that problem ...

A goosenecked frame with a ultra short triple set would be the ticket for a cafe if you want to use the stock tank etc (which I would, they look lovely).
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #282 - 11/01/12 at 08:14:36

misterbbq wrote on 10/26/12 at 10:56:18:

The other thing that is a bit of a "bad idea" on this is - the shock is fitted to the original mount location right - ... the taller shock makes the swingarm sink lower making the belt likely to hit the swingarm on the top side. I would relocate the upper shock mount to somewhere higher up in the frame. Sorta where the seat ends - right under that.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #283 - 11/01/12 at 08:25:46

Dave wrote on 11/01/12 at 05:07:41:
This is a great adaptation.......and very creative.  I applaud you for not wanting to be that obnoxious loud motorcycle that people glare at as your ride by.  I live 2 miles from a 4 lane highway out in the country.  I can hear the loud motorcycles and trucks without any form of workable muffler out on that highway, and I wonder why they want to be so darn loud?

Thanks for the comment.

I don't know why some folks like really loud exhausts.  They ignore the fact that it pisses off so many people,.. it makes them hate us.  Don't get me started.  Anyway, this RYCA is now halfway between objectionably noisy and gold wing.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #284 - 11/01/12 at 09:02:15

I posted earlier about the side cover thumbscrews falling out.  

The thumbscrews supplied with the kit are finger tightenable only.  The sidecovers vibrate so much, there is a high probability these things will work their way out unless you tighten them with long-nosed vise grips.  Then, along the side of the road somewhere, you couldn't use your fingers to get the sidecovers off.  The fasteners reside in places that don't allow much leverage.

Anyway, until I can come up with a better, more secure, more convenient system, these fasteners need more security.

My "bright idea" is to use small 6-32 screws with wing nut heads to get more leverage in those recessed areas.  I couldn't find any,.. so I made four.  

High-tech Home Depot aerospace plated alloy fastening devices:

Wing nuts silver-soldered to the screws.

Screw heads cut off,... threads tidied up.

This is not a great pic, but it shows one of the wing-nut screws with the "safetying" device (a nylon cable a little over a foot long with springs at each end).  This view is from the right side of the cylinder looking aft.  You can see the right shock, the side cover, the tire, and in the center, the lower right wing-nut screw with the nylon cable stretched tight on it.  One end of one spring hooks on to the upper right wing-nut screw, stretches the cable around the lower right wing-nut screw, then lower left wing-nut screw, then hooks the other spring on the upper left wing-nut screw.  

After two 1-hr rides, the wing-nut screws have not moved any.

« Last Edit: 11/02/12 at 08:50:18 by Gyrobob »  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 28
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/27/24 at 00:44:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Double RYCA build Mar 2019 updates

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.