Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 28
Send Topic Print
Double RYCA build Mar 2019 updates (Read 17413 times)
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Re: Double RYCA Build
Reply #240 - 09/17/12 at 03:07:58

Two points? I take it the RYCA kit ditches the factory bracket then?

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #241 - 09/17/12 at 04:34:03

It's coming together nicely Gyrobob, thanks for showing all the little details your putting on the finishing touches  Smiley

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #242 - 09/17/12 at 05:01:10

Cavi Mike wrote on 09/17/12 at 03:07:58:
Two points? I take it the RYCA kit ditches the factory bracket then?

The RYCA kit attaches the exhaust at the cylinder head, and at the EMGO bracket (about 6" long) on the muffler.

BTW, that muffler is pretty loud at first, and gets way louder when the pathetic amount of packing gets blown out.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #243 - 09/17/12 at 05:02:17

ToesNose wrote on 09/17/12 at 04:34:03:
It's coming together nicely Gyrobob, thanks for showing all the little details your putting on the finishing touches  Smiley

Thanks for the comment.  I'm beginning to think this could be a lifetime project.  I wonder if I'll ever get to the point of thinking, "All done!"

IP Logged
BuckRYCA

New London, CT, USA
Reply #244 - 09/17/12 at 07:02:43

Quote:
At about the 2nd or 3rd crumb cup install, I'd be thinking used sportbike can.  GSXR1000s come with a nice, lightweight brushed aluminum can which is quickly taken off the new bike and shelved for something aftermarket.  I'd just pick one up on CL or somewhere, take it to a muffler shop and see if they can adapt it. I have one on my DR650 and it braaaAAPs awesomely without being annoying at all. The back pressure/flow rate/volume level/etc. of a stock 1000cc sportbike muffler works out well on an uncorked 650cc thumper.

I don't believe I've gone overboard on restricting the Ryca EMGO with two crumb cups. It's been reported here that the BCB (Blue Collar Bobbers) drag pipe has four restriction rings welded into it. Unmodified the EMGO is close to a straight pipe. The crumb cups are light, cheap, and effective -- my Ryca is running well and getting good mileage, too. Anyways, the point of the Ryca is the look, and part of the look is the reverse cone megaphone. A sportsbike can would be out of place on it (IMHO).

'96 Savage - now a Ryca CS-1
WWW BuckRYCA BuckRYCA   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #245 - 09/17/12 at 08:33:28

"A sportsbike can would be out of place on it (IMHO). "

IMHO2

« Last Edit: 10/16/12 at 05:24:04 by Gyrobob »  

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #246 - 09/18/12 at 06:53:26

I already posted this in the RYCA belt adjustment thread, but it relates directly to the swingarm mod I just did.

RYCA CS-1 belt adjustment procedure
This procedure will adjust for the max tire/swingarm clearance without overtightening the belt, which is an important issue when the RYCA modified swingarms are used with larger diameter (4.00-18) tires.

1. Get the rear wheel into the air using a jack of some sort.
2. Undo the tops of the shocks, and tilt them out of the way.
3. Lower the bike carefully until the distance between the centers of the shock mounting points is 11 inches (or whatever the distance is for max compression of your shocks).
4. Loosen the axle just enough so you can move it fore and aft using the belt adjuster bolts.  If you loosen it too much, when retightened, the swingarm gets a tiny bit longer, making the belt tighter.
5.  Allow the axle to move forward a little (~ 1/16") to a loose belt position.  Final movement of the axle should be from a forward position moving aft using the belt adjuster bolts.
6. Adjust the axle so the belt is moderately tight.  
  -- The belt should be just tight enough to permit twisting it 45 degrees.
  -- Make sure the pulley is aligned with the belt by placing a straight-edge along side the pulley to verify it is parallel with the edge of the belt.
7. Tighten the axle back up and, with the shock mounting points still at 11 inches, recheck the belt tightness.  It should be fairly tight (45 degree twist), but not rigid.
8. Without turning the belt adjuster bolts, tighten the belt adjuster nuts.
9. Check the clearance of the tire and swingarm.  
10. Jack the bike up to where the distance between the shock mounting points is 13 inches (or whatever the distance is for max extension of your shocks).
11. Re-install the shocks.
12. Lower the bike and ride away.
13. After the first ride, recheck the adjustment to make sure nothing moved.

« Last Edit: 10/16/12 at 05:24:28 by Gyrobob »  

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #247 - 09/20/12 at 09:53:30

Instead of using a little crumb cup, I used what I had on hand,.. an old sink strainer.  My rationale is that it might be less restrictive than a crumb cup, especially after I drilled some more holes in it.  Also, it has more surface area to make a bit of a "volume" at the end of the pipe, but inside the reverse megaphone tip.  Besides, I didn't HAVE a crumb cup!

This shows the modified sink strainer, with some additional holes, and with the original holes opened up a bit.  Also, each hole had a counter-sunk type of edge (appearing as a raised edge in this pic) I put on it using a homemade die and a socket from a 3/8" drive socket set.  This countersinking stiffened up the surface a lot,.. it eliminated the "oil-canning" effect.

Here's the sink strainer with the rewrapped inner pipe and the tip.  The fiberglass that came with the muffler was completely gone at about 25 miles.  The packing is just stainless steel scrubbing pads from Walmart.

Sink strainer brazed to inner pipe in three places.

After a 30 mile ride this morning.  It has turned brown,.. I'm guessing because it is stainless steel and it got pretty hot.  The noise didn't change much,.. some of the trebly bark was softened a bit, so I think the neighbors might be a tad less incensed.

update 15 October: brazing it in three locations only lasted about 50 miles.  It came loose and made the cutest jingle-jangle noises as it was trapped in the aft end of the muffler with the exhaust pulses pounding away at it.  Now for plan B,... but I'll have to create a plan B so I can implement it.

« Last Edit: 10/15/12 at 18:17:24 by Gyrobob »  

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #248 - 09/22/12 at 13:54:41

I used the space in the tailpiece for storage of the toolkit, manual, registration, insurance card.  It is not real easy to get to, but I don't have to get to that stuff very often.  It takes maybe a minute to get at the stuff hidden in there.  I have to unscrew three nuts, flop down a hinge, and drop the sheet of aluminum that serves as the floor of the compartment.

This shows the aluminum strap riveted in place to serve as a forward lip for the aluminum floor to rest on.

This shows the floor installed.  The forward edge of the floor is resting on the riveted aluminum strap.  The hinge in the rear is being held against the floor with three screws/nuts which are safetied by safety pins.  Also in this pic you can see how the license plate bracket was carved out so as to not foul on the tire, and how the license plate, when it hits the tire, is just pushed up and falls back down.

« Last Edit: 12/24/23 at 16:40:44 by Gyrobob »  

IP Logged
T2

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Frederick, CO
Reply #249 - 09/22/12 at 19:59:03

Gyrobob - you have a PM.
Terry

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #250 - 10/05/12 at 22:26:10

I really like that breather idea but what about oil spraying into your carb? Have you put any serious mileage on this bike? I'd like to know how this turned out, I want to do something like this as well.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #251 - 10/06/12 at 04:34:44

Cavi Mike said, "I really like that breather idea but what about oil spraying into your carb? Have you put any serious mileage on this bike? I'd like to know how this turned out, I want to do something like this as well. "

As far as I can tell, all that is going into to carb, at the 200 mile point, is some occasional blowby.  
-- There is no oil present in the tube or angle or air filter.  
-- The carb has no discoloring that might indicate oily fumes, etc.  

Maybe a motor with 20,000 miles on it, loose rings, and a lot of blowby might be a different story, but even then, all that is happening is that more crankcase fumes are sent to the intake side,.. which is what happens in the stock setup.

IP Logged
braveteacher

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #252 - 10/07/12 at 15:04:46

Gyrobob,  What kind of solid state flasher did you purchase and where did you order it from?  I put led's on mine and have tried two different types of electronic flashers from Autozone...one did not work at all...the other flashes but not very bright...

" Two new items (four actually, two each) came in the mail today.  A solid state flasher so the turn signals blink at a normal rate, and a blue LED to use as the high beam indicator. "

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #253 - 10/07/12 at 15:15:43

brightness is a function of the bulb, not the flasher.

try it with regular bulbs.

WWW   IP Logged
braveteacher

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #254 - 10/07/12 at 15:17:28

No...not the bulb...it does not flash...very little flash...not off and on like in the video from the double ryca build...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 28
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/08/24 at 15:06:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Double RYCA build Mar 2019 updates

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.