Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 28
Send Topic Print
Double RYCA build Mar 2019 updates (Read 17413 times)
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Re: Double RYCA Build
Reply #255 - 10/07/12 at 20:42:52

braveteacher wrote on 10/07/12 at 15:04:46:
Gyrobob,  What kind of solid state flasher did you purchase and where did you order it from?  I put led's on mine and have tried two different types of electronic flashers from Autozone...one did not work at all...the other flashes but not very bright...

" Two new items (four actually, two each) came in the mail today.  A solid state flasher so the turn signals blink at a normal rate, and a blue LED to use as the high beam indicator. "

Here's the one I used.  It works really well on both bikes, each of which have a different mix of incandescent and LED signals.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/search/led-products/lf1-s%20flat/

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #256 - 10/12/12 at 07:55:49

Here's a set of three 12v size N jacks installed on the forward right side of the frame.  I have spent so much time getting this bike on the road, I don't want to have to be restricted in cold weather, so these ports will allow an electric jacket and maybe gloves if I don't use heated hand grips.

I'll also use one of the ports for a GPS.  
-- One of the things I like to do is to head out into the country getting to areas I have never seen before, trying to get "lost."  Then I have a look at the GPS and have it rescue me to find my way home.
-- Another GPS trick I like to do is set up a windy twisty route in mapquest or yahoomaps, then put that route in the GPS and just follow it through all the turns.

I got the power for the ports from the now-unused socket for the decompression solenoid.  It uses the fuse otherwise unused in the RYCA conversion.

« Last Edit: 10/16/12 at 05:22:49 by Gyrobob »  

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #257 - 10/13/12 at 19:29:53

I was not impressed with brightness of the tail light assembly in the RYCA kit.

-- The turn signals were just barely visible in daylight and situated too close to the centerline of the bike.  So, I use bar end signals.  They work really well,.. and they eliminate the need for gorping up the front and the back of the bike with turn signal stalks and pods, etc.
-- The tail light was okay.  I wish it was brighter though,.. so,... I may add some running lights facing backwards somewhere.
-- The brake light is pathetic.  In bright sunlight you can see it if you are looking for it, but it is not likely to grab the attention of a cager geezer, or of some McD's counter person on a cellphone late for work.  At night it shows up some, but still not very bright.  

I added two 4-LED pods back under the flex license plate on some bent 1/8" thick aluminum stock painted black.  I got the pods from Joe-Florida's LED Accent lights.  Each little 3/4" pod has four LEDs all focused together in what is maybe a 20 degree cone. They cost only a few bucks for each pod and those suckers are BBBRRRRRRIGHT!!

So now I have attention-getting brake lights.

Joe-Florida's by the way is a fantastic place to work with.  The first order was not exactly what I wanted, so I sent an email.  The miscommunication was probably more my fault than theirs, but without questioning anything about the situation at all, they sent out what I wanted the next day, and let me keep the stuff I had received already.  If you want any additional lighting, check them out.  

www.ledaccentlights.net          email is joe-florida@ledaccentlights.net

The pic below shows a side by side comparison of the three situations.  From left to right: RYCA taillight,... then in the middle, the RYCA brake light,.... Then on the right, the RYCA brake light with the Joe-Florida tiny little $3.50 LED pods.  I went to a little trouble to make sure the pods were aimed properly.  When the bike is 20' from a wall, facing away from the wall with the brakes on, there is a red disk about 3' in diameter, the center of which is about 28" off the ground.  The RYCA brake light and the two Joe-Florida mini-lights are all aimed at that point.

These pics just show the $3.50 Joe_Florida LED pods.  They are really unobtrusive just sitting there, but they do light things up when the brakes are applied.

« Last Edit: 12/24/23 at 16:42:48 by Gyrobob »  

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Re: Double RYCA - new info - lights, 12v jacks, mu
Reply #258 - 10/14/12 at 18:34:15

Here's the 9" bucket to house the 8" headlight I am working on.
Any of you guys know what goes in the rectangular hole?

« Last Edit: 10/16/12 at 05:21:44 by Gyrobob »  

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #259 - 10/15/12 at 09:08:49

The tail lights look nice and clean GyroBob, as for the headlight ofcourse a rectangular block goes into the rectangular hole because a round one won't fit!   Cheesy  Glad I could be of assistance  Wink    

(help factor=0  hopefully I put a smile on your face at least)

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #260 - 10/15/12 at 09:20:39

ToesNose wrote on 10/15/12 at 09:08:49:
The tail lights look nice and clean GyroBob, as for the headlight ofcourse a rectangular block goes into the rectangular hole because a round one won't fit!   Cheesy  Glad I could be of assistance  Wink    

(help factor=0  hopefully I put a smile on your face at least)

.............................................................grin

A rectangular block is precisely what I am carving at the moment to fit in that rectangular hole.  I suspect that hole is there to allow access to the bulb for replacement.  I have a piece of old mudflap about 1/4" thick that ought to do the trick.  

The other two holes are for wiring, I would assume.  I'll block one of them off, and put some edge protection on the other (or a grommet) to protect the wires.

I'll be using an HID headlight system.  There appears to be plenty of room in that bucket for that kind of paraphernalia.  Think how bright the night will be with an HID system spewing light from an 8" reflector!!

I'm also trying to figure out the best solution for actually attaching the thing to the bike.  There are several versions of fork mounted brackets.  I'd like to have some rubber insulation in the mount somewhere.  Rigid, strong, but yet adjustable,.... and not looking like some sort of a bridge a civil engineer would think up.

« Last Edit: 10/16/12 at 05:21:23 by Gyrobob »  

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #261 - 10/16/12 at 05:27:04

See reply #247 for what happened to the sink strainer mod on the
RYCA-supplied EMGO muffler.

see #277 for a complete inner redesign

« Last Edit: 05/03/13 at 19:41:29 by Gyrobob »  

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #262 - 10/22/12 at 05:41:29

I saw a stock motorcycle over the weekend with the same headlight bucket you have.  The rectangular hole had lots of wiring coming out of the hole.  They used the headlight bucket for "wiring central" and the back of the headlight bucket was so close to the steering head on the frame that things were really jammed tight with wiring.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #263 - 10/22/12 at 09:01:37

Dave wrote on 10/22/12 at 05:41:29:
I saw a stock motorcycle over the weekend with the same headlight bucket you have.  The rectangular hole had lots of wiring coming out of the hole.  They used the headlight bucket for "wiring central" and the back of the headlight bucket was so close to the steering head on the frame that things were really jammed tight with wiring.

Are you sure it was stock?  I have seen a couple that had the wires located in the lower two holes.  I assumed they were stock, but who knows?  On bikes nearing 30 years old, they have probably been apart at least a few times and reassembly might have had a few "creative" procedures used.

Anyway, with the simple set up I'll have on the RYCA bike, any ONE of those holes will do.  I don't think I'd like to have the rectangular hole uncovered.  If the bike got caught out in a small rain shower, that hole would let in a lot of water, whether or not the bike was moving.

Maybe the two holes on the bottom are there to let the water drain out that gushed in from the rectangular hole on top!!
Wink Grin Shocked Huh Roll Eyes

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #264 - 10/22/12 at 09:08:16

Even the stock savage headlight is not sealed.
water hitting the headlight will just follow it around and drain out the bottom or thru the wire access hole.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #265 - 10/22/12 at 09:53:19

Yep, it was a stock GS1100E, and it had 12,000 miles on it and looked really nice.  The back of the headlight was really hidden pretty well under the gauges, between the headlight mounts, between the forks, and with the cables and wiring.  I thought about taking a picture.....but it would really have revealed very little.

« Last Edit: 10/24/12 at 04:46:23 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #266 - 10/23/12 at 20:56:52

Big milestone yesterday.  The Double RYCA Build metamorphosed into the Double RYCA Ride.  It was, as they like to say today, awesome.  We rode around for about an hour on the roads south of Newnan and Peachtree City.  

One of the things that gave me goosebumps was hearing two 650cc thumpers (not muffled very well by the RYCA-supplied EMGO mufflers) accelerating hard side by side, matching shifts, with the RPM very nearly the same.  The noise is pure music.  Sometimes the noise is such that you can imagine each piston going up and down in perfect formation with each other.  Other times they were slightly out of phase so there was a dissonant kind of resonance that would slowly roar in and out of phase.

Cool.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #267 - 10/23/12 at 22:06:51

Who doesnt love the sound of a twin engine prop plane doing that?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #268 - 10/24/12 at 04:29:13

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/23/12 at 22:06:51:
Who doesnt love the sound of a twin engine prop plane doing that?

There are a lot of similarities!  The sound of a Twin Beech or Cessna 310, though, gets most of the in-and-out-of-phase music from the prop noise.

The 650cc duet is more impressive to me because the only noise is blat/thump from the exhaust, and, with the RYCA-supplied K&N air filters, there is a pulsating honk coming from the intake side as well.  It really makes for some entertainment,... hearing these two motors singing out loudly within about 10' of each other.

I need to get a video (with some good audio) of this.

« Last Edit: 10/24/12 at 05:40:51 by Gyrobob »  

IP Logged
misterbbq

Acworth, GA
Reply #269 - 10/24/12 at 10:33:43

Gyrobob wrote on 10/23/12 at 20:56:52:
Big milestone yesterday.  The Double RYCA Build metamorphosed into the Double RYCA Ride.  It was, as they like to say today, awesome.  We rode around for about an hour on the roads south of Newnan and Peachtree City.  

One of the things that gave me goosebumps was hearing two 650cc thumpers (not muffled very well by the RYCA-supplied EMGO mufflers) accelerating hard side by side, matching shifts, with the RPM very nearly the same.  The noise is pure music.  Sometimes the noise is such that you can imagine each piston going up and down in perfect formation with each other.  Other times they were slightly out of phase so there was a dissonant kind of resonance that would slowly roar in and out of phase.

Cool.

haul those bad boys up here to acworth!

waffle house will be my treat!!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 28
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/07/24 at 20:27:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Double RYCA build Mar 2019 updates

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!