Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print
Savage Scrambler Build (Read 3997 times)
mpnoffi

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Memphis
Re: Savage Scrambler Build
Reply #45 - 05/08/11 at 15:37:28

I'm in!  PM Sent!

WD wrote on 05/08/11 at 14:20:37:
How familiar are you with the Tipton/Shelby line at Hwy 14? My 98 LS650 barhopper is parked right next to a 1963 Honda CL72 that has been both a Scrambler and a cafe racer in previous lives... I'm on Deadfall Rd, right on the county line. Can't miss it, C60 bucket truck in the front yard, 49 Dodge truck in my driveway.

Welders, forges, tons of donor metal here. You're welcome to come by any weekend except the night of Friday May 20th. Just PM me ahead of time.

CL frame is uncut if you need some factory Scrambler references.

Cold PBR (best beer for working on bikes, you pee more than you get sloshed) in the fridge.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #46 - 05/08/11 at 16:22:46

Same offer applies to anyone else who wants to ride over. Bike style/brand irrelevant. If you are close enough to ride over, ride over. If you need help, truck it over.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #47 - 05/09/11 at 06:55:47

I'm just curious to see how the pegs are going to mount.  Maybe the Ryca bracket can be copied, or bought ala'carte?

Awesome project.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #48 - 05/09/11 at 08:26:08

I hope you will post a video of the completed bike out on the trail. This is an awesome build and I cant wait to see the final product.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #49 - 05/09/11 at 08:40:44

If he has a camera we'll get some shots here. I live on 54 acres of orchards, pastures, hills, creeks and mixed hardwoods.. Even have a section we can set up for mudhole testing.

I've been considering reopening my old bike business, have a 10 acre section we could put in a bike camping area...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
mpnoffi

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Memphis
Reply #50 - 05/09/11 at 19:41:58

Thanks guys!  You better believe we'll get some video...I'm building this bike to ride...everywhere!  

WD, I'm pumped about working on the bike, but I may have a tough time pulling it off this weekend.  I just found out that my in-laws are coming to stay with us this weekend.  Fortunately, we get along really well and I like it when they come by, but I wont get any work done on the bike. :'(
Looks like it may be a few weeks until the pegs get mounted then, but at least that will give me plenty of time to get a few other things sorted.  I' try to get pics as go!
mpnoffi

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #51 - 05/09/11 at 21:16:05

No worries, if my new job comes through down in Memphis I'll have Sat/Sun/Mon off every week anyway.

A delay will just give me time to sort out an electrical issue with mine so it is ridable/reliable again. I'm sick of a fried relay killing batteries.

Oh, I've got a TS 250 shiny rear fender here and a coupe taillight mounts (Lucas or cateye) we can cut up if need be. Fender won't work on my factory Scrambler chassis.

I'm not going anywhere. I trust you know your way around a a coal forge if we need to make some odd mounting plates/brackets?  Wink

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #52 - 05/10/11 at 01:10:06

mpnoffi wrote on 05/09/11 at 19:41:58:
Thanks guys!  You better believe we'll get some video...I'm building this bike to ride...everywhere!  

WD, I'm pumped about working on the bike, but I may have a tough time pulling it off this weekend.  I just found out that my in-laws are coming to stay with us this weekend.  Fortunately, we get along really well and I like it when they come by, but I wont get any work done on the bike. :'(
Looks like it may be a few weeks until the pegs get mounted then, but at least that will give me plenty of time to get a few other things sorted.  I' try to get pics as go!
mpnoffi

You cant get the Father in Law out on the garage long enough to accomplish anything? He wouldnt enjoy getting in on that a bit? If I went to visit someone & they were doin a project, Id try to get in & help out..Heck, if I went o visit someone & they Werent doin a project, Id likely try to get one goin,, just sittin around is  dead boring..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #53 - 05/10/11 at 07:23:59

What is left of a 1963 250 Scrambler...

Came stock with flat seat like your Triumph one. Those are the stock handlebars and controls with aftermarket touring grips. Now has a flat track bend and CB Super Sport replica grips with replica Brit (Amal) perches and levers. Came with upswept pipes instead of the current CB series street pipes (street pipes on it when I got it). Stock fenders were floating mount inside perimeter frames (armored like a rock crawler, Holy Grail of Honda parts).

Seat is more comfortable than you would think. Will be getting an XR750 (HD dirt tracker) style tailpiece. The stock seat was beyond garbage, same for the cafe seat that I got with it.

12v kick only dual point ignition. Takes a micro battery. Supposedly the last year right side drive small CB/CL.

Frame is unmolested, I was going to hardtail it. Worth more as is than it would be as a custom rigid, probably more comfortable too.

100 mpg potential.

Pic taken at my old place in the mountains.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
mpnoffi

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Memphis
Reply #54 - 05/11/11 at 18:38:34

Good deal WD.  Good luck on the new job.  I'll give you a shout sometime after the in-laws take off.  Can't wait to get out there and see all the cool stuff.  I'm not afraid of a little work at all...even though I may need a little coaching on how to do it!  I usually figure things out pretty quickly.  I actually had to google coal forge...but yes...I'm sure I can figure it out now...and I aint skeerd!

WD wrote on 05/09/11 at 21:16:05:
No worries, if my new job comes through down in Memphis I'll have Sat/Sun/Mon off every week anyway.

A delay will just give me time to sort out an electrical issue with mine so it is ridable/reliable again. I'm sick of a fried relay killing batteries.

Oh, I've got a TS 250 shiny rear fender here and a coupe taillight mounts (Lucas or cateye) we can cut up if need be. Fender won't work on my factory Scrambler chassis.

I'm not going anywhere. I trust you know your way around a a coal forge if we need to make some odd mounting plates/brackets?  Wink

IP Logged
mpnoffi

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Memphis
Reply #55 - 05/11/11 at 18:45:14

...well that's cool and I would too...but what you dont know is that my father in law is 80 years old.  Therefore I typically dont ask him to work when he drives the 5 hours to spend the weekend with me and my family.  But when I go see him, I always find something to do for him around his farm, cause I agree that just sitting around sucks.

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/10/11 at 01:10:06:
mpnoffi wrote on 05/09/11 at 19:41:58:

mpnoffi

You cant get the Father in Law out on the garage long enough to accomplish anything? He wouldnt enjoy getting in on that a bit? If I went to visit someone & they were doin a project, Id try to get in & help out..Heck, if I went o visit someone & they Werent doin a project, Id likely try to get one goin,, just sittin around is  dead boring..

IP Logged
mpnoffi

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Memphis
Reply #56 - 05/11/11 at 18:47:19

Man.  I really like those bikes.  whataya think about this one?

WD wrote on 05/10/11 at 07:23:59:
What is left of a 1963 250 Scrambler... http://ravenscroftart.net/watchtower/Hondont.jpg

Came stock with flat seat like your Triumph one. Those are the stock handlebars and controls with aftermarket touring grips. Now has a flat track bend and CB Super Sport replica grips with replica Brit (Amal) perches and levers. Came with upswept pipes instead of the current CB series street pipes (street pipes on it when I got it). Stock fenders were floating mount inside perimeter frames (armored like a rock crawler, Holy Grail of Honda parts).

Seat is more comfortable than you would think. Will be getting an XR750 (HD dirt tracker) style tailpiece. The stock seat was beyond garbage, same for the cafe seat that I got with it.

12v kick only dual point ignition. Takes a micro battery. Supposedly the last year right side drive small CB/CL.

Frame is unmolested, I was going to hardtail it. Worth more as is than it would be as a custom rigid, probably more comfortable too.

100 mpg potential.

Pic taken at my old place in the mountains.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #57 - 05/11/11 at 18:57:23

Not bad at all. I bet we can give yours a similar rear treatment if you want.

You have a preschooler and your father in law is 80 years old... Huh Just meesing with you, my father in law is 85 and change. I'm 38. I have a niece who is 42 or so...

We need to be careful when you test things out. I holed a new tire on the Ranger today. Locust tree throrn.  Angry

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #58 - 05/12/11 at 01:35:26

Hmmm,, 85,, 85,,, Nope,, not thinking of a single project an 85 year old dude would want to jump on after a long drive.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #59 - 05/12/11 at 06:33:15

2 sweeeet looking bikes!  I'd ride that Triumph in a heartbeat!

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 01:39:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Savage Scrambler Build

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.