Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New pushrod for new clutch? (Read 104 times)
HillSavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New pushrod for new clutch?
04/15/17 at 20:10:12

As the title states: should I install new pushrod when I install new clutch pack.  I've been reading old posts and it seems people burn their new clutches out by forgetting this step...any suggestions?

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Re: New pushrod for new clutch?
Reply #1 - 04/15/17 at 21:07:41

There are 3 different lengths , just order all 3 , they are cheap !
That way you will have what you need to do it right the first time !
Don't forget a new cover gasket too!

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 04/15/17 at 21:21:47

verslagen1 wrote on 04/09/17 at 09:28:10:
You need a longer pin, it may work, but what you end up with is not being able to get enough throw to get the clutch completely disengaged.

they're cheap, order all 3 unless you which one you do have and I would order a couple extra long ones.  I'll tell you why, I like to maximize the rod length sticking out of the clutch pack to 12 to 12.5mm, it'll give you the max clutch operation.  I also grind a full radius on both ends to minimize friction.

But somewhere between 12.5 and 13mm is too long and when you torque down the cover it actuates the clutch and you don't go anywhere.

WWW   IP Logged
HillSavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 04/16/17 at 09:09:11

verslagen1 wrote on 04/15/17 at 21:21:47:
verslagen1 wrote on 04/09/17 at 09:28:10:
You need a longer pin, it may work, but what you end up with is not being able to get enough throw to get the clutch completely disengaged.

they're cheap, order all 3 unless you which one you do have and I would order a couple extra long ones.  I'll tell you why, I like to maximize the rod length sticking out of the clutch pack to 12 to 12.5mm, it'll give you the max clutch operation.  I also grind a full radius on both ends to minimize friction.

But somewhere between 12.5 and 13mm is too long and when you torque down the cover it actuates the clutch and you don't go anywhere.

Should I order these from a Suzuki stealership?  I have a grinder, what does grinding a full radius mean?  Sorry new to fabrication, and this type of mechanic work in general.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 04/16/17 at 10:45:10

HillSavage wrote on 04/16/17 at 09:09:11:
Should I order these from a Suzuki stealership?  I have a grinder, what does grinding a full radius mean?  Sorry new to fabrication, and this type of mechanic work in general.

any oem supplier
make the end spherical.  and it would be good to polish it too.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 04/17/17 at 08:47:52

I chuck rods in a drill, and work two spinning parts together. The grinder spinning and the rod chucked and spinning, I can look at how the rod is touching, keep center on center and create a radius.
The spinning rod is easier to polish.
The end Inside the clutch spins on its surface it pushes on, so the Work leaving little lines going around it are okay.
The other end would wear easier on the throw out lever if you worked the last of the polishing from dome center out.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/24/24 at 16:17:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New pushrod for new clutch?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.