Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
Savage Scrambler Build (Read 3997 times)
mpnoffi

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Memphis
Re: Savage Scrambler Build
Reply #75 - 07/17/11 at 19:11:12

That does make sense Moto...
My original thought process was moving the shock mounts for an upright position, while increasing the distance between them (without changing the angle of the swing arm) allowing me to run longer shocks.  After mocking up this thing, I don't think there will be any reason to  move them, unless the ride on a rough dirt road or trail is unbearable.

MotoBuddha wrote on 07/13/11 at 06:09:37:
You mentioned changing the shocks to a more upright postion to get more travel. Actually, angled shocks provide a better swingarm movement-to-shock-stroke ratio.

With the shock vertical, the ration is 1:1. The swing arm moves up an inch, the shock compresses an inch.

Now, imagine an extreme (and useless) example where the top of the shock mounts to the swing arm pivot. The swing arm moves up an inch and the shock compresses zero inches.

Although I suck at math, I think we can see that with the shock at an angle -- like the stock position -- the shock compresses less than 1:1.

However, you can use a vertical shock and still use less of the shock travel, if you move the BOTTOM mount closer to the swing arm pivot. While the axle moves upward an inch, a point closer to the pivot moves less. However, you'd need stiffer springs in order to maintain the same effective spring rate.

IP Logged
mpnoffi

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Memphis
Reply #76 - 07/17/11 at 19:32:24

Got a few minutes in the garage this weekend...but didn't seem to cover much ground.  Here is what I accomplished this week...

Finally got the rust out of the gas tank without it flash rusting back with Evaporust from Autozone.  Stuff is unbelievable!  Also primed the XS750 Yammie tank with rustoleum high temp engine block primer, sanded it and shot it with "flat Aluminum" high temp block paint.  I looked all over for a flat silver paint, but this is all I could find.  I'm blown away with the results!  I would have been happy if I had paid a painter for these results.  The pics do it very little justice.  Very clean.

Refurbed the locking gas cap by stripping the chrome off, cleaning the mechanism, and shooting it and the key cylinder face with VHT high gloss black caliper paint.  I've used this stuff before with great results, but it is VERY picky paint.  After shooting, I baked it at 200* for 1.5 hrs in my oven (good wife) Smiley  I have a brand new yammie gasket for it too...

Lastly... you guys have seen my cobbled together RYCA rip off battery box.  I finally got it all wrapped up and I'm happy with the results as well.  I used 3m door edge to line the oustide edges and to act as a grommet for the hole that the wiring goes through.  Then I added 2 peel and stick rubber pads I found in the furniture section at Lowes to keep the battery in place and vibe free...

All in all, I don't gues it was too bad of a weekend.  I'm just getting REALLY anxious to start beating on this bike! Angry hopefully I'll have another list for you guys later this week or next weekend!  
take care
Mpnoffi

IP Logged
Edgar

Are you a lucky
little lady in the
city of light?

San Diego
Reply #77 - 07/18/11 at 02:40:09

That tank really does look sleek man. How does that evapo rust stuff work?

Stay Frosty.
  IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #78 - 07/18/11 at 07:06:25

slow and steady will win the race. I too am working on a build a couple hours at a time so I know how frustrating it can be. Looking really good though and keep it coming.

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #79 - 07/19/11 at 05:52:10

Edgar wrote on 07/18/11 at 02:40:09:
How does that evapo rust stuff work?

Like this:

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #80 - 07/19/11 at 05:53:40

That's truly one of Yamaha's handsomest tanks.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
mpnoffi

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Memphis
Reply #81 - 07/19/11 at 19:40:30

Yeah.  I think so too.  This makes twice that I have used one on a project.  It's handy that xs650 petcocks, caps and gaskets are a direct swap on these because they are pretty plentiful and not too spendy.  4.5 gallons too.  My a$$ will quit long before I run out of fuel.  
This particular tank was a sweet eBay deal at 40 bucks.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #82 - 07/20/11 at 19:41:41

Heck of a steal, the last one of those I sold (immaculate new old stock) went for $350... without any add-ons.

Wish I hadn't cut the mounting lugs off my frame, my 2-2.5 gallon flat tracker tank has gotten annoying. But, running out of gas the same time I run out of a$$ may not be a bad thing.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
mpnoffi

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Memphis
Reply #83 - 07/31/11 at 15:41:42

tank on
new petcocks tightened
filter in-line

it runs!  woohoo!!!
Cheesy

IP Logged
SoE

Rollin' the dice on
fire...

East TN
Reply #84 - 07/31/11 at 18:30:57

More pics!

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #85 - 11/02/11 at 15:14:08

Just found this thread, and I have to say, I LOVE what you are doing here. My friend Jay and I are just starting a vintage roadster Savage. haven't even gotten enough to start a thread yet, but I really like some of your ideas, and I can't wait to see how she comes out.
Cheers!!

IP Logged
mpnoffi

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Memphis
Reply #86 - 11/27/11 at 19:32:28

Hey guys.  This one is going up for sale on the Memphis, TN Craigslist for $1400 obo.  Life happened...and a project wasn't in it for me.  I just can't find the time to enjoy a major (to me) project right now along with family and work.  I'm awefully close to finishing, just no time...so I bought a road/dirt ready1995 DR 350 with 3k miles to keep me on the road...and sane.  Thanks for all of the interest and kind words from everyone.  I sincerely appreciate it.  If anyone has any questions on this build, feel free to post here or PM me!

thanks

mpnoffi  

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #87 - 11/27/11 at 20:00:55

Oh man, so tempting. Since messaging seems to be broken, email me at eldoonfeeb@gmail.com.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #88 - 11/27/11 at 20:32:20

I know all about life happening, but that does indeed make me sad.
That was a truly unique idea, and I really hope that whomever buys that pile of tin from you continues in your quest and makes it into a really cool bike...

Cheers! and good luck...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #89 - 11/28/11 at 09:32:28

How much was the evaporust & how big was the jug?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/07/24 at 02:37:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Savage Scrambler Build

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.