Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
Savage Scrambler Build (Read 3997 times)
mpnoffi

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Memphis
Re: Savage Scrambler Build
Reply #60 - 06/25/11 at 21:09:34

Hey guys.  I haven't forgotton about you guys or this project.  I've just been really busy.  Recently found out that my Dad has been given a short time to live so me and the rest of my family have been spending a lot of time with him. He lives in Nashville and I live outside of Memphis.  My  wife made me take a weekend to refuel and I chose to spend some time in the garage with my boy.  Not much of an update here, but I was able to get a few things accomplished.  

First I removed the airbox and battery box and changed the orientation of the battery.  I think it fits much better like this.  Also, its much cleaner and gives me more room to tuck in the high pipes and cover up most of the ugly with some number plates (pic with a number plate duct taped on below).  After that, I fiddled with the wiring a little and put the tank a seat back on for a pic or two.  I'm thinking about dropping the rear about one inch and raising the front one inch.  I think it will help the stance of the bike and the additional front travel will be appreciated in the real world.  

I've been trying to get a little time to go see WD as we just live a few minutes from each other.  He has graciously offered to help me with some of the tough parts of this build.  As soon as I get freed up a bit, I plan to call you soon WD!

This bike has helped tremendously as I go through some tough times.  Has been a fun project and a good way for me and my boy to spend some time together.  Please be patient.  I will finish this thing some day Roll Eyes
Thanks
mpnoffi

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #61 - 06/26/11 at 04:54:58

Sorry to hear about your Dad. Family comes first, no ifs ands or buts.

I have a regular M-F job now, usually home around 4 PM. There are pics up on the Cafe section, take a peek so you'll know what house to look for. Still keep PBRs in the fridge... Wink

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #62 - 06/26/11 at 05:54:17

Have you thought about using one of the tiny lithium-ion batteries?  They are 1/5 the size and weight and might tuck up under the seat, or on down on top the forward part of the swingarm, leaving the whole area behind the cylinder empty.  These batteries are more expensive, but they don't have any up or down so you can position them any way you want.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
SoE

Rollin' the dice on
fire...

East TN
Reply #63 - 06/26/11 at 07:07:45

This is such a cool idea, thanks for including us. Sorry to hear about your dad.

I saw an old Harley "Flat Tracker" last week that this reminds me of a little bit. Your tires are awesome, btw.

IP Logged
mpnoffi

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Memphis
QUESTION
Reply #64 - 06/27/11 at 19:18:55

Thanks guys.  I appreciate the encouragement.  Just doing what we can to make him comfortable now (and Mom too!)

As I find time in the garage to "refuel" from time to time I keep coming back to one question...

I have a wiring harness that is in perfectly good working order, but I continue to be led down a very minimalistic road.  I would like to use my factory connectors, but redo the harnes to fit the application better and cut out anything that is not necessay to make it go or stop safely.  While I can go right to a couple of "chopper wiring diagram" threads, none of them seem to be backed up much with experience by you guys here.  I would like to run new wire but cut out the side stand switch and relay, neutral switch and relay and lose the decomp system (replaced by a simple but elegant lever like sbaugz did).  Essentially, I want the ignition system, headlight, tail/brake light, horn, and signals front and rear.  I also want to leave the option to run a power outlet (for gps or phone charger as I plan on this bike being a tool for exploring) and a vapor speedo/tach before it's all said and done.  Do any of you guys use a minimalistic, bare bones wiring diagram that you know works?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #65 - 06/27/11 at 20:08:04

You gotta have High Low beam indicator in Texas to get inspected.
Id have to keep the Neutral light,, Its just handy

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Edgar

Are you a lucky
little lady in the
city of light?

San Diego
Reply #66 - 06/27/11 at 20:23:58

Stay Frosty.
  IP Logged
mpnoffi

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Memphis
Reply #67 - 06/28/11 at 05:26:08

The second one is new to me...I must have overlooked it. Thanks!
Still though, the hand drawing is a little difficult to understan since I am not an electrical guru.  I really wished that we had a proven minimal wire harnes in our tech section.  Maybe could be my contribution to this site??? after I figure out how! Shocked

IP Logged
manitoulinbob
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #68 - 06/28/11 at 11:20:21

that is one great looking bike.  love the tires and the lean look.  just wish i had the know-how to tackle something like that.  keep us posted ... as you can tell from the thread you have lots of interested followers.

IP Logged
mpnoffi

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Memphis
Reply #69 - 06/28/11 at 18:34:20

You mean...I needed know how to start this project???
Oh sh@$*!!!
Just kidding.  Thanks a lot.
I have two pretty serious problems:
1.  I take things apart.  That's how I learn most things.  Everything is just a mystery until I see what makes it work!

2.  I don't believe anyone anytime they tell me that I cant make something work. Even (especially) if I don't know how to do it. It's a sickness...really. Roll Eyes

I am pretty pumped about how many people have stopped by this thread though.  I figured that it would probably be just me in here.
Cool  
I originally bought this bike for a Ryca conversion...but also had a pretty deep interest in the new Triumph scrambler (and other older scramblers). At that time, I had a new HD Iron 883, a 03 zx6r 636 and the savage.  I sold the other two beasts and became a one bike man.  I rode the savage more anyway.
thanks again!

IP Logged
Kaishaku
2005 No Login

Reply #70 - 06/30/11 at 06:54:54

That looks outstanding.  I'd buy one if they came like that.  Smiley

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #71 - 07/13/11 at 06:09:37

You mentioned changing the shocks to a more upright postion to get more travel. Actually, angled shocks provide a better swingarm movement-to-shock-stroke ratio.

With the shock vertical, the ration is 1:1. The swing arm moves up an inch, the shock compresses an inch.

Now, imagine an extreme (and useless) example where the top of the shock mounts to the swing arm pivot. The swing arm moves up an inch and the shock compresses zero inches.

Although I suck at math, I think we can see that with the shock at an angle -- like the stock position -- the shock compresses less than 1:1.

However, you can use a vertical shock and still use less of the shock travel, if you move the BOTTOM mount closer to the swing arm pivot. While the axle moves upward an inch, a point closer to the pivot moves less. However, you'd need stiffer springs in order to maintain the same effective spring rate.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
SoE

Rollin' the dice on
fire...

East TN
Reply #72 - 07/13/11 at 06:34:00

The more I look at this thread the more I want a SS like this.
I NEED another Savage, but I still haven't finished the one I've got......

IP Logged
bluesavage218
Alliance Member

Chicks dig it.

Jackson, TN
Reply #73 - 07/13/11 at 08:02:14

SoE wrote on 07/13/11 at 06:34:00:
The more I look at this thread the more I want a SS like this.
I NEED another Savage, but I still haven't finished the one I've got......

Hahah I totally agree. I think I want one of every style! Ryca, bobber, chopper, scrambler. We need a production line for these things!

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #74 - 07/14/11 at 18:00:35

MotoBuddha wrote on 07/13/11 at 06:09:37:
You mentioned changing the shocks to a more upright postion to get more travel. Actually, angled shocks provide a better swingarm movement-to-shock-stroke ratio.

With the shock vertical, the ration is 1:1. The swing arm moves up an inch, the shock compresses an inch.

Now, imagine an extreme (and useless) example where the top of the shock mounts to the swing arm pivot. The swing arm moves up an inch and the shock compresses zero inches.

Although I suck at math, I think we can see that with the shock at an angle -- like the stock position -- the shock compresses less than 1:1.

However, you can use a vertical shock and still use less of the shock travel, if you move the BOTTOM mount closer to the swing arm pivot. While the axle moves upward an inch, a point closer to the pivot moves less. However, you'd need stiffer springs in order to maintain the same effective spring rate.

Good point.

Also,... remember the Velocettes from the 50's and 60's,..??  (yeah, right)    They had upper shock mounts that you could move forward and aft.  Move it forward and you reduced damping, and, in effect, spring rate.  Move it aft,... heavier damping and stiffer springs.
   love that muffler!!

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/07/24 at 10:01:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Savage Scrambler Build

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.