SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Frederick, CO
Re: Official RYCA CS-1 Updates
Reply #15 - 02/25/11 at 09:27:52

mick wrote on 02/25/11 at 08:38:08:
Do you have aluminum rims ?
and I must ask,Why the antique tires ?

Mick, from the Ryca web site, here is a link to the FAQ page and the vintage tire question.

RYCAMOTORS FAQ

Terry

« Last Edit: 02/25/11 at 23:59:39 by verslagen1 »  
  IP Logged
runrun

Thump thump

Erie, CO
Reply #16 - 02/25/11 at 20:38:19

randyradio wrote on 02/25/11 at 08:30:28:
Hey,  I've been on the Ryca list 3 weeks not and did not get an email saying I was going to get some parts early.  Do we have to ask for that?  BTW Ryan told me last week that they was hiring a bunch of new staff and gearing up for doing like 50 gastanks at a time to zip things along. I'm wondering if I get it in plain primer for all their parts and get them painted here if that drops it alot?

Yes, you had to ask for the fork lowering kit to be sent out early, with the options to also receive the clip-ons and Progressive fork springs early.  If you didn't ask, you'll get the whole kit at the same time.  Not sure if you can still have these things sent out early -- Casey's latest update makes it sound like they've sent all the early parts that they plan to send.

Getting the tank and body parts in primer saves $200.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #17 - 02/25/11 at 21:18:14

runrun wrote on 02/25/11 at 20:14:44:
I'm doing the CS-1 conversion, and even after shedding a lot of the LS's weight, the front brake is still going to need help.  I'd definitely would be interested in a caliper adapter for an SV650 caliper.  Group buy?

Hey! how about?

I can lend you a caliper.

WWW   IP Logged
caseyLA

Los Angeles
Reply #18 - 02/25/11 at 23:38:09

UPDATE FOR FEBRUARY 25

Hello, and thanks for placing a pre-order for a Ryca CS-1.

If you ordered a lowering kit, clip-ons, front fork upgrade, or combination of the three...good news, they have all been shipped out! For those of you just joining us, send us an email if you'd like to receive some items early to get started on your project.

Getting them early is completely optional. All the items and upgrades will be available to you when you place your kit order.

We'll be notifying another round of customers in the next few days regarding their production slot. For those who are curious, here is how the process works:
1) We will contact you and go over all the kit options, upgrades, discounts, etc.
2) We will finalize your order and send you a detailed itemized invoice.
3) We will bill you for the first half of your purchase price (the remaining balance is paid when your kit is ready to ship).
3) We will send you details on how to send us your tank and rear wheel hub. If you don't have the parts yet, we can still get started on your kit -- just send us your tank and hub as soon as you get your donor bike. Please don't send us parts until we contact you!

Important note regarding payments:
Ryca kits aren't made on an assembly line, and we don't have extra parts sitting on a shelf. Each order is made by hand at our shop in Los Angeles. The first half of your payment is a deposit for materials and labor to build your kit. The first half is NON REFUNDABLE. We cannot send your parts back (tank and wheel) if you change your mind after sending them. The second portion of your payment is sent when your kit is ready to ship, and includes the optional credit for stripping the paint from your tank, shipping charges, international taxes/tariffs, etc.

The complete kit includes three items which are optional and can be left off your order: shocks, rear tire, and rear wheel. The price credit for the three items is as follows:
Complete kit without shocks - Subtract $50 from your kit price
Complete kit without rear tire - Subtract $50 from your kit price
Complete kit without rear wheel - subtract $200 from your kit price (You must have your stock hub laced to the rim of your choice locally. This is a good option for those who want to have their rims powdercoated).

If you don't want some of the other items included in the complete kit (clip-ons, muffler, etc), or you're planning on sourcing them yourself, please opt for the partial kit.

We are encouraging customers to order their kit in primer only (or even bare metal). If you can have your tank, seat, and side covers painted locally, you save money and receive your kit much quicker (up to 3 weeks sooner). The price breaks are:
$250 off the price of your kit in primer only - The tank and fiberglass parts are primered and ready for paint by your local painter. The other metal parts come powdercoated for durability.
An additional $250 to receive your tank in bare metal. That's right, $500 off your kit price if you have the paint and body work done yourself (the bottom weld seam of the tank may require some body filler to achieve perfection). Your tank will be pressure tested after it's fabricated, and the other pieces will be primered and ready for paint.

Bare metal tank after welding and pressure testing.

(You don't need to tell us right away which options you want. We will go over all of them when your production slot becomes available.)

Reminder about stripping your tank paint:
You will be credited $25 on your kit if we receive your tank free of paint and rust. No need to sand blast it, just use some paint stripper from the hardware store. Apply it until the paint begins to peel and then go over it with a wire brush.

A note about shocks:
The kit will include shocks which are manufactured to our specs for the CS-1. You can also upgrade to the Progressive shocks which will be available in black or chrome. For those of you sourcing your own shocks, please keep the following in mind:
1) The extended length of the shock is limited to around 13". Beyond this point, the belt will come into contact with one of the motor bolts. This hex head bolt can theoretically be replaced with a button head cap screw to allow movement of the belt beyond the 13" shock length, but this has not been tested with the CS-1.
2) The compressed length of the shock is limited to around 11". Beyond this point, the rear tire (supplied with the complete kit) will come very close to hitting the tail light.

Clearances are affected by a number of factors including:
- shock extended length
- shock compressed length
- tire diameter
- placement of license plate (side mounted vs centered)
- weight of rider and spring rate

We are including components that will work together if you purchase them as part of the complete kit. If you purchase them separately, IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO TEST AND VERIFY THAT THE COMPONENTS YOU SELECT WILL WORK TOGETHER. At Ryca, we're all for experimentation and testing new ideas. Just please keep in mind we can't account for every possible combination of aftermarket accessories and all of factors that could possibly cause clearance and performance issues.

Speaking of clearance issues...the stock header pipe of the Suzuki S40/Savage wasn't designed for the steeper swingarm angle and rearsets of a cafe racer. The kits include an exhaust bend adapter that will kick out your muffler at the proper angle. They are custom made at Ryca and then chromed for a finished appearance.

A note about tanks and hubs:
We don't have a supply of stock Suzuki parts, so we must fabricate your new tank from the tank you send to us, and re-lace your hub to a larger rim (complete kit only). If you plan on purchasing a bike after you order your kit, that's OK, just send us the parts when you get them. It won't change the price of your kit. However, if you cannot supply us with a tank and hub for some reason, we must add the price of a new tank and hub from Suzuki to the price of your kit, which is presently $900. We had originally planned on sourcing good condition used tanks for customers who cannot supply them, but due to the demand for kits, we just don't have time to source the items. You can send us a used tank or hub to be modded for your kit, just please make sure it's in good condition.

This week's video is the front fork spring upgrade installation video. It will demonstrate the process of installing the springs, cutting the stock upper spacers to adjust pre-load, and filling the forks with oil.

One last thing...
If you're on the pre-order list, please make sure we can reach you! If you don't check your email often, consider sending us your phone number. Once your production slot becomes available, we need to contact you, process your order, and get started on your kit as quickly as possible. If we don't hear from you within a week, we will have to move your name to the bottom of the list.

For those who have already started on your S40, we hope you're enjoying your project so far, and we're looking forward to seeing some finished bikes on the road in the very near future. Look for another update next week.

Ryca Motors

IP Logged
caseyLA

Los Angeles
Reply #19 - 02/25/11 at 23:42:30

runrun wrote on 02/25/11 at 20:38:19:
randyradio wrote on 02/25/11 at 08:30:28:
Hey,  I've been on the Ryca list 3 weeks not and did not get an email saying I was going to get some parts early.  Do we have to ask for that?  BTW Ryan told me last week that they was hiring a bunch of new staff and gearing up for doing like 50 gastanks at a time to zip things along. I'm wondering if I get it in plain primer for all their parts and get them painted here if that drops it alot?

Yes, you had to ask for the fork lowering kit to be sent out early, with the options to also receive the clip-ons and Progressive fork springs early.  If you didn't ask, you'll get the whole kit at the same time.  Not sure if you can still have these things sent out early -- Casey's latest update makes it sound like they've sent all the early parts that they plan to send.

Getting the tank and body parts in primer saves $200.

Randy,

You can receive the parts at any time. If you want them early, just send us an email and let us know which option you want.

Option 1: lowering kit only (covered by your pre-order deposit)
Option 2: lowering kit plus custom clip-ons (covered by your pre-order deposit)
Option 3: lowering kit, clip-ons, and front suspension upgrade ($75 invoiced via email)

Sorry this is confusing, I just haven't had time to update the website with all this new info.

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #20 - 03/03/11 at 15:07:06

From this months issue of MCN (motorcycle consumer news) a full page article on the RYCA CS-1 mods of the Savage with lots of pictures. I'll bet the prices on used Savages holds up high for a while. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
caseyLA

Los Angeles
Reply #21 - 03/07/11 at 19:45:24

Update for March 7
Newsletter with links and images: http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=f960391aaaa7fe642e4bfac85&id=8d9fbfce26

For those of you just joining us, make sure to check out the how-to videos. You can review all the previous CS-1 update newsletters here. All the weekly updates are also posted on the Suzuki Savage forum.

Here's a new piece we've been working on -- it's an exhaust bend adapter for aftermarket mufflers (included in complete and partial kits). We cut and weld them here, and then have them chromed:

The adapter attaches to the stock Suzuki header pipe and kicks the muffler out at the proper angle to avoid interference with the rear-sets and swingarm. We'll have some photos up soon, and it will be covered in the next video....

The Build Video. The big one. Start to finish, how to complete your CS-1. It will cover every part of the assembly and installation. We're working on it now.

For those who like printed instructions, we'll also make all the information available in PDF format and include an instruction manual with the kit. All kits come with a 1 year, unlimited mile warranty and tech support. You can call us or send us an email at help@rycamotors.com.

We received another batch of tanks and hubs today....

Reminder about stripping your tank paint:
You will be credited $25 on your kit if we receive your tank free of paint and rust. No need to sand blast it, just use some paint stripper from the hardware store. Apply it until the paint begins to peel and then go over it with a wire brush.

One last thing...
If you're on the pre-order list, please make sure we can reach you! If you don't check your email often, consider sending us your phone number. Once your production slot becomes available, we need to contact you, process your order, and get started on your kit as quickly as possible. If we don't hear from you within a week, we will have to move your name to the bottom of the list.

Ryca Motors

IP Logged
sbaugz
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 03/08/11 at 05:08:56

RYCA- do you have a color list yet for the tank and fiberglass parts? I am having trouble getting someone locally to either give me a quote or actually commit to painting mine and might choose to use your services instead. If you can share a little info on your painting services that would be great- such as is it done using professional equipment? Is it clear coated? Colors?
Thanks.

IP Logged
caseyLA

Los Angeles
Reply #23 - 03/12/11 at 17:51:35

sbaugz wrote on 03/08/11 at 05:08:56:
RYCA- do you have a color list yet for the tank and fiberglass parts? I am having trouble getting someone locally to either give me a quote or actually commit to painting mine and might choose to use your services instead. If you can share a little info on your painting services that would be great- such as is it done using professional equipment? Is it clear coated? Colors?
Thanks.

Yes, the paint is done by a professional painter with 2 stage paint / clearcoat. I'll get a color chart up on the website.

IP Logged
caseyLA

Los Angeles
Reply #24 - 03/12/11 at 20:30:27

Cables:

The only custom cable we use on the bikes is the extended speedometer cable (included in the complete kit). All the rest are stock. The front fork lowering mod and clip-ons will create excess lengths of cable, but you can get creative and make them look good. Zip ties are really useful, especially the ones that un-zip.

The main challenge is the brake line. On my bike, I clamped it a little lower with the stock cable clamp and then tucked the rest between the forks behind the headlight. It's hidden pretty well when the tank is on.

You can use the stock horn mount bracket as an attachment point for some cables. And there are some other tricks for the wiring harness. Ryan will be demonstrating how to route all the wiring and cables on the build video. But there's many ways to do, no right or wrong.

Here are some pics from each side of my bike:

IP Logged
caseyLA

Los Angeles
Reply #25 - 03/12/11 at 20:38:32

Tim Walker of Reno, NV sent us a tank last week that was extremely clean and paint-free. We asked him how he did it and what he used. Here's his reply:

I used Jasco Paint & Epoxy Remover - 15 Minute Semi-Paste, bought at Home Depot. 1 Quart removed the paint off of the tank and the front fender. The cost was $8.00. It was recommended to me by the paint dept. employee.

I followed the instructions and let it sit on the paint for 15 minutes, I then used a small brass brush ( the size of a tooth brush) and scarped the paint off.

I removed the paint in sections, the top of the tank, then the sides and then the bottom. The Jasco is  gel but you still need  a level surface so that will not run off the tank.  I then used an all-purpose cleaner to remove any left over paint sludge and then re-applied where there was some stubborn paint. Used some fine grade steel wool and the all-purpose cleaner to help remove any dried up paint remover.

I then used a brass wire wheel in a drill motor to remove a little rust that was on the bottom of the tank where the factory did not paint.

Sprayed it down with WD-40 to prevent it from rusting.  If you live in dry climate you probably shouldn't have to do this, but I live in Reno, NV and the day I stripped the tank it was snowing and around 25 degrees. I didn't want to run the risk of coming out the next morning  and seeing that the metal had started to rust.

It took me about 2 hours to complete both the tank and fender, but that was spread out over an entire day due to waiting 15 minutes between applications of the remover. I did several other projects while I was waiting and the time seemed to go bye pretty fast. The main thing is to wait and let the remover lift the paint off, once you see the paint starting to bubble then it will scape right off with very little effort.

Oh, and use some gloves to protect your hand or I'm sure you'll be removing some skin along with your paint. The fumes where not to bad so I didn't use a mask.

IP Logged
s40fan
YaBB Newbies

TX
Reply #26 - 03/13/11 at 12:53:47

If you would consider a replacement brake cable option that would be excellent.

I am guessing you will get this question more as time goes on. If you dont want to source the parts perhaps you could put together a list of cable specs to provide so that folks can source their own.

Thanks again!

IP Logged
Chicagobob
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 03/14/11 at 11:15:54

I agree about the replacement cable.  If we know the length, we can order a custom braided steel brake line for about $30.  You could even offer this as an option.  This will greatly improve brake feel and eliminate that extra loop of brake line behind the steering head.

IP Logged
sbaugz
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 03/14/11 at 16:41:34

I plan on ordering some braided line myself within the next 1 month or so. If this will be offered as a custom option, then I will wait.

IP Logged
caseyLA

Los Angeles
Reply #29 - 03/14/11 at 23:05:37

Update for March 14
[Newsletter with links and images: http://us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=f960391aaaa7fe642e4bfac85&id=30341432f9]

For those of you just joining us, make sure to check out the how-to videos and review all the previous CS-1 Updates. The weekly updates are also posted on the Suzuki Savage forum.

PLEASE !!! Pack your parts carefully when you send them to us. The tanks dent easily! (Wait until your production slot is available before sending the parts).

We've been working at a furious pace the last few weeks making parts and filling orders. The next few newsletters will include some behind-the-scenes info about the origins and fabrication process of each piece in the kit. Let's start with the tank:

Tanks
When the tanks arrive at Ryca, they are stamped with a unique ID number. After the paint is stripped, the bottoms are chopped off, and portions of the front section are removed to allow the tank to fit much lower on the frame than the stock tank. The bottoms must be hammered a small amount to complete the lowering process. The tank is then test fitted on a jig with the CS-1 tank mount. New bottom and front pieces are fabricated and TIG welded, and the tank is pressure tested. Unless it's going back to a customer who chose the bare metal option, it's then sent to body work and paint. (The bare metal option saves you $500 on the price of your kit.)

Words aren't sufficient to describe a fuel tank make-over at Ryca, so here's some pics:

Rear Set Brackets
The rear set bracket assemblies are fabricated from square tubing and plate steel pieces which are cut from CAD files. They are cross-braced with round tubing and are designed to attach at the rear motor mount points. The pieces are tack welded in a jig, removed, test fitted, and then TIG welded before being powdercoated. Here's one of Rob's photo-ops:

Rear set brackets after tack weld

Fiberglass
The seat, upholstery pan, and sidecovers are made from original molds. After the molds are prepared, the fiberglass is laid by hand and cured. The pieces are then removed from the molds, lightly sanded, and prepped for primer /paint.

More on the fabrication and assembly process in the next update...

Paint stripping
Stripping the paint off your tank really saves us time on the fabrication process, plus you will be credited $25 on the price of your kit. Stripping your tank also allows you to see the previous damage and body work on your tank. Tim Walker of Reno, NV sent us a particularly clean specimen last week, completely free of paint and rust. We asked him how he did it. Here's his reply:

"I used Jasco Paint & Epoxy Remover - 15 Minute Semi-Paste, bought at Home Depot. 1 Quart removed the paint off of the tank and the front fender. The cost was $8.00. It was recommended to me by the paint dept. employee.

I followed the instructions and let it sit on the paint for 15 minutes, I then used a small brass brush ( the size of a tooth brush) and scarped the paint off.

I removed the paint in sections, the top of the tank, then the sides and then the bottom. The Jasco is  gel but you still need  a level surface so that will not run off the tank.  I then used an all-purpose cleaner to remove any left over paint sludge and then re-applied where there was some stubborn paint. Used some fine grade steel wool and the all-purpose cleaner to help remove any dried up paint remover.

I then used a brass wire wheel in a drill motor to remove a little rust that was on the bottom of the tank where the factory did not paint.

Sprayed it down with WD-40 to prevent it from rusting.  If you live in dry climate you probably shouldn't have to do this, but I live in Reno, NV and the day I stripped the tank it was snowing and around 25 degrees. I didn't want to run the risk of coming out the next morning  and seeing that the metal had started to rust.

It took me about 2 hours to complete both the tank and fender, but that was spread out over an entire day due to waiting 15 minutes between applications of the remover. I did several other projects while I was waiting and the time seemed to go bye pretty fast. The main thing is to wait and let the remover lift the paint off, once you see the paint starting to bubble then it will scape right off with very little effort.

Oh, and use some gloves to protect your hand or I'm sure you'll be removing some skin along with your paint. The fumes where not to bad so I didn't use a mask."

Thanks Tim!

The Build Video. The big one. Start to finish, how to complete your CS-1. It will cover every part of the assembly and installation. Coming soon!

One last thing...

Ryca Motors

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 11
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/07/24 at 21:30:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Official RYCA Updates

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.